1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

XY OU Potential Suspects Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Discussion' started by Halsey, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khristophoros

Khristophoros New Member

If Aegislash ends up not being banned could we suspect King's Shield? There seems to be some interest in that idea in the Aegislash thread, but that was deemed off-topic for the thread so I guess it's not on the table unless Aegislash is not banned.

2. NidoTheKing

NidoTheKing Father of the Year 2014!

PO Trainer Name:
    NidoTheKing78
    To be honest, there's no point in suspecting King's Shield. For one, it's only able to be used on two Pokemon: Smeargle and Aegislash. Smeargle has MUCH better things to do and King's Shield isn't the full reason Aegislash is broken (it can still use Protect anyway, which is good enough for a substitute).

You have to realize what the entire problem is rather than limit it. Currently Aegislash is the problem, not King's Shield. King's Shield makes it a hell of a lot better, but Aegislash is still Aegislash and removing King's Shield won't fix that.

I admire you as an admin and player Sulcata, but I have to disagree on you in regards to Gothitelle, as I feel it is neither brainless nor broken for the reasons you gave. Even though it makes Balance and most Stall walks in the park, getting a perfect scenario is not as easy as you think. Also, against aggro teams, which are very popular this generation, it's not all that good. You need to know what you're doing when using Gothitelle and it almost never generates an auto-win once you trap a Pokemon. Besides, for the reasons you posted, Wobbuffet should be banned, and look where it is now...

Finally, I account brainless as a synonym for auto-pilot. If something is brainless, anyone can do it at any time and the rest plays out on its own with no skill, prediction, or fear needed, hence auto-pilot. The best examples I can think of for auto-pilot Pokemon (which doesn't necessarily mean broken btw) are Ditto, MegaKahn, arguably Talonflame, KyuB when UU, Gen 5 Riolu/Liepard loops, and Swagger Abuse. Gothitelle is not completely auto-pilot. If it were faster or bulkier, it probably would. However, the metagame it's in makes it too hard to kill whatever and whenever it wants, and instead of a team killer, you mostly get a one-for-one at best. A lot like Wobbuffet, it's not as crazy as people make it because the conditions are not clear-cut.

Also, I'd like to make a suggestion regarding the suspecting. Once we finish Aegislash, we should stop suspecting until the new games come out because that date is soon and we currently took care of all that had to be taken care of. There really isn't much more if anything that has to be banned asap, so let's just give it a rest for now and wait until the next metagame comes out rather than scramble to find things that are broken. We're practically done now, so let's give it a rest and enjoy the remainder of the metagame before OR/AS is released. All in favor?

3. Khristophoros

Khristophoros New Member

The way I see it, the only moves that should be banned are ones that are abused by a single pokemon and not used by others so that the ban wouldn't affect other pokemon. If one pokemon is a problem and you ban a move that other pokemon use, those pokemon all become weaker just because one pokemon was a problem.

I don't believe Aegislash is enough of a problem to be worthy of a ban so my vote in the thread is not ban. But I could get behind a KS ban because it wouldn't have as much of a drastic effect as banning the whole pokemon.

Yes please!

4. [OG] Swanna Lady

[OG] Swanna Lady Y.......Yo......You.....YOU'RE FAT!

PO Trainer Name:
    [OG] Swanna lady
    I would like to discuss the possibility of Mega Tyranitar being banned in OU. The reasons for this are:
    • It has a max 469 attack stat which can kill most things in the meta (At least 2HKO)
    • It has a max 438 defense (:O)
    • Rock types get their sp.defense boosted in sandstorms so Tyranitar is basically untouchable in both defenses
    • Dragon Dance is on virtually every Mega Ttar set and given it's ridiculous defenses then it can probably set up 1 or even 2 DDances, OHKO-ing pretty much everything.

5. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Happy Birthday to the OUGF Sinclair!

As a special treat we're all gonna go the whole day w/o shitposting in his threads :] We can do this guys!

6. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

You are honestly overselling Mega Tyranitar's qualities. Literally every single DD Mega Tyranitar set should be 252atk/4sdef/252spe Jolly because this allows it to outrun base 130s and everything below with a 1DD, and without a Jolly Nature you don't outrun everything above base 115, mainly Greninja/Tornadus-T etc.

While I agree that Mega Tyranitar does have very solid all around defenses, it also has 7 weaknesses which really holds it back, and it is also extremely weak to common priority such as Mach Punch from the likes of Conkeldurr and Breloom, Bullet Punch from Scizor (both formes), and Aqua Jet from Azumarill. This makes Mega Tyranitar significantly easier to check. Furthermore base 71 speed makes Mega Tyranitar extremely prone to revenge-killing via the use of a scarfer, and good examples of this is Garchomp and Landorus-Therian. On stall teams, most decent teams run Skarmory/Alomomola or Quagsire and hence stall can usually fair decently vs Mega Tyranitar. Finally it is extremely prone to all types of status, which limits it from its full potential. It's a really solid pokemon, but has very notable weaknesses which stops it from being over dominating in the current metagame.

JinLong88, OUAzumarill and Ortheore like this.
  7. MetalGross

MetalGross gems…

I guess this is the best place to post this.

Because of all the recent bans, we've decided to reset the ladder! Have fun in the new metagame!
    Also, I'll get a ladder challenge up this week, because that hasn't been done in quite a while and I myself always thought it was a fun way of killing time, so that's coming up as well!

Also, with 'we', I mean from now on Finchinator and I, because of Finchinator has been promoted to OUTL (again). Make sure to congratulate him!

The sad part is that Sinclair got fired, so we'll still be with 2 TL's. Ideally, we would like to have 3 so if you're interested try to spark discussion and make good posts!

Daybreak, Isa, Pridy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    No longer an OUTL but forever an OUGF, Fornsey will remain in our hearts forever.

Proof, Daybreak and lil nigga like this.
  9. Sinclair

Sinclair Call me the Pokemon Demigod

idk wat i did nor was informed about this but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. Laurel

Laurel Well-Known Member

The metagame will be balanced once Mega Mawile is banned. Don't suspect Gothitelle thats silly. It's best set is Trick CM Rest Psychic, which is not doing anything vs offense. It's actually worse in ubers because it traps some Arceus forms, Palkia, and Rest Talk Ogre. OU also has Bisharp and Tyranitar to Pursuit trap it... Just never had issues with Gothitelle in OU except with Stall, which is obviously going to happen. Yeah it's annoying, and it can reck some Balanced teams too, but it's not even close to ban worthy. If something is going to get suspected after Mega Mawile, do Mega Charizard-X.

11. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

idk under what rock you've been living laurel but mega mawile has been banned for at least a month now lol

12. Maple Syrup

Maple Syrup blessermans

PO Trainer Name:
    Maple Syrup
    What will PO do about the new megas? Is it gonna decide on quick bans or not? I think it would be better to put some long thought into it before we go dropping megas one after another like flies over the course of an entire year.

sulcata likes this.
  13. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

There's absolutely nothing in ORAS that would need a quick ban in OU. Salamence was looking like it might be possible but then it only gained 10 atk. We should just take suspects as they come.

DAZZY VANCE likes this.
  14. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

It also gained a lot of Speed and AERILATE.

No opinion on quick ban though.

15. DAZZY VANCE

DAZZY VANCE Do you even know Dazzy Vance

PO Trainer Name:
    Dazzy Vance
    I'm with @Aurist on this one nothing will be quick banned in ou they will just let it play and take them as they come. Salamence could still be one of the first I feel.

16. Sinclair

Sinclair Call me the Pokemon Demigod

You are fucking insane if you think Mega Mence is even close to balanced. I'm normally not for quickbans but jesus, Mence is broken as all hell

Alfalfa likes this.
  17. DAZZY VANCE

DAZZY VANCE Do you even know Dazzy Vance

PO Trainer Name:
    Dazzy Vance
    I'm not saying its balanced at all, but there will be no quick bans right away. Now that I think about I think Mence will be banned within the first two weeks easily. With its speed boost and aerilate there is no way in hell its balanced, but with all these new megas they may be able to find good counters for it. For all we know it could be like krook in LU. Insanely good for that tier, but has enough counters to stay

18. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I understand that there's a prospect of the pokemon, megas, etc. ORAS presents us with breaking the Overused metagame, but until they're fully released and usable on PO, you should use this thread to theorymon about anything related to ORAS. Any future posts regarding unreleased pokemon or items will be infracted and deleted.

When ORAS begins, these matters will be handled publicly as usual.

Sasuke Uchiha likes this.
  19. NidoTheKing

NidoTheKing Father of the Year 2014!

PO Trainer Name:
    NidoTheKing78
    I could debate that but I know this isn't the place to do it.

In all seriousness, we should just close this thread and wait for ORAS. There's nothing currently broken to talk about and this thread is currently dead with the fact that nothing needs to be done anymore.

Really, it's just time to end this. ORAS is coming in and X/Y is as good as we can get it. Might as well call it a day.

20. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    ORAS OU Potential Suspect Thread is now the thread that is being used.

This thread is useless and now being locked.

Thanks to everyone who posted and contributed to the tiering decisions made so far during generation six.

Virizion likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.