1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Inverted Battle] Blaziken Suspect

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by Xdevo, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

[​IMG]

Discuss the possibility of banning Blaziken (and consequently Mega Blaziken) from the Inverted metagame.

Post intelligently based off of experience in the tier. Posts based off theorymon risk forum infractions.

Attempt to find the checks and counters (or lack thereof) for Blaziken as well as its impact and power in the metagame. Do not simply say "it's broken" or "it's not broken". Back up your arguments on why you think it should be banned or not.

If a consensus is reached, the result will likely be implemented in the metagame. Happy suspecting.

Also note that the option to only ban Blazikenite can also be discussed.

2. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

There honestly isn't anything to say about Blaziken that hasn't been said in either Monotype's suspect or standard XY OU's discussion thread. Blaziken is simply obscene, but not because of its sweeping potential. Sure, Blaziken hits like a freight train, with only things like Umbreon and Avalugg being safe from Hi Jump Kick. Umbreon simply dies to +2 Flare Blitz as well, so only Regice is the only real reliable pokemon(since Avalugg never does much of anything when used) that can consistently stop Blaziken. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if it couldn't get that speed boost either, since a lot of the offensive pokemon that are actually worth using can't take a Hi Jump Kick to the face, and others can't withstand Flare Blitz.

The real danger comes with the territory of having Speed Boost and baton pass; Blaziken single-handedly pulls off hat tricks with the ability to pass its speed along to other pokemon. In a tier like Inverse where there are no immunities, Normal STAB is amazing and dragons can spam their STAB even more easily in this setting, this is even more devastating than in standard play. A +2 Diggersby attempting a sweep endgame is stoppable simply because Quick Attack is still moderately weak. A +2 Diggersby with +1 speed attached to it, which is wholly possible due to the fact that walls exist, is far harder to stop at any point in the match. Or trying to effectively deal with a +1 speed banded Dragonite without constantly shoving a Dragon onto your team. Good luck trying to revenge a Specs Porygon-Z with a pseudo scarf attached to it, while things like Garchomp and Landorus T will gladly accept a +1 boost to speed, and especially the free Swords Dance as well.

This is also fundamentally different than, say, Scolipede. Because despite Scolipede having a few useful resistances regarding Inverted, it gains a nasty weakness to both Grass and Fighting; which are absolutely two amazing attacking types in Inverted. It also can't hit nearly as hard as Blaziken can, and Bug STAB is a liability to be thrown around since Dark, Grass and Psychic types get a huge boost in usefulness in Inverted.

3. fri'chickeneesha

fri'chickeneesha New Member

myah

kk i been playing inverted for quite some time now, and i've peaked at number 2 behind Kat, and i gotta say Blaziken-or at least Mega-Blaziken, is broken. With 160 attack and 100 speed plus speed boost, that is nearly impossible to counter. Pnerd has already described its baton passing set, but Mega Blaziken sweeping sets are what hurt me the most. There is literally no safe switch in besides avalugg, who can do nothing except phaze it out. The baton passer of choice is usually Diggersby, who utterly crushes teams with normal STAB and priority in quick attack when its at plus 2. The sweeping set though is what screws me over, b/c minus 1 attack mega blaziken still cleanly koes landorus-T. ALSO THANKS TO THIS DAMN SUSPECT PPL STARTED ABUSING BLAZIKEN EVEN MORE, so yeah my post is all over the damn place but tl;dr baton passing set can be played around but w/ its sweeping capabilites Mega Blaziken AT LEAST, deserves to be banned, if not normal Blaziken as well

4. Xdevo

bump

I see no reason to keep either Blaziken in the tier. They both have the ability to pass +2 Atk and Speed everywhere, while maintaining a huge threat level thanks to the awesome Attack stat. I honestly don't run more attacks than HJK on Blaziken because it's just so easy to pass out of things that you don't feel like taking on at the time. There are so many threatening things in Inverted that can abuse the +2 speed / attack that take on Blaziken's normal counters that it's impossible to really stop a Blaziken right now.

5. Xdevo

Double post

Blaziken is banned, thanks for not posting guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.