1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Anime/Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rioku, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    So for all those out there who watch anime/read manga/play VNs, this is the discussion thread.

WARNING, this thread contains spoilers. Now as much as I'd like it if we could use spoiler tags for everything, that kinda sucks when you've got a discussion going, so be warned.

Try to avoid hate posts, unless it's School Days, feel free to hate on that.

Now for all you uneducated scrubs who don't know what 'anime' is:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Rake likes this.
  2. Marina

Marina The Marshtomp has seen it all before.

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    I actually couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that there were no replies to this thread.

Um, I honestly have no idea what my favourite anime is, so I'll come back when I figure that out! However, I do know that Outbreak Company is an interesting anime that "you guys should check out because" I said so. Now I haven't actually gotten past the first episode yet, but I figure that it's going to be pretty good. I don't know what it's really about either, because I don't really remember the first episode, but there's a magical maid with a magical ring, so that warrants investigation already.

Rake likes this.
  3. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    I've seen that one. It's pretty decent all around. The magical maid stuff really doesn't mean much at all to the story though, just awful fan-service. The main plot of the anime is the insertion of the freedom and equality equality of the Japanese otaku culture into a medieval class based society, and its effect on the racism and class system found there. They do a really good job of creating an original story that fits into an overused archetype. It's only 12 episodes, so it's definitely worth watching if you ever get bored.

Rake likes this.
  4. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby Forum Moderator Channel Leader Developer Forum Moderator Channel Leader Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, please.
    Dark humor with cute art style. An anime about an age where Humanity has declined (translation of the title) and now small fairies with enormous potential to invent things but a somehow lack of common sense are considered the next human race, and as such are kind of worshipped by the current human race. The story follows a girl that is one of the few humans that can interact with those fairies and act as an embassator between humans and fairies.
    Pacing is a bit slow in some episodes, but overall is a great anime.

Rake likes this.
  5. Duster

Duster dodgerswin

uhh
    i've only read one manga, and that is Monster
    it was pretty good though

and i like fma:brotherhood for anime

Rake likes this.
  6. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    Oh, duh, how could I forget a really great anime. Shugo Chara! An anime about some really cheesy stuff, but that makes it super duper cute. Though, I don't really like how the anime deals with negative emotions.

Rake likes this.
  7. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    I took a look at this. It's some of the weirdest most adorable stuff I've ever seen. I don't entirely agree with the way they depicted humanity's downfall it was certainly an interesting concept. To me the fairies portrayed the positives in humanity while the humans portrayed the negatives. It's been pretty interesting so far, although, those fairies are freaking annoying imo.
    Shugo Chara is pretty decent imo. It falls into the same category as K-On in my book (overly cute makes me want to tear my eyes out but can't stop watching), but it has a bit more depth than K-On.

Clannad After Story is best emotional story ever y/y? I haven't seen anything that I can really compare to Clannad. It really hits on all the hardships that occur to normal people in normal life and for some reason it just makes it hurt. I dislike the moe art style a bit, but it was so freaking happy/sad/angry all at the same time. You can't watch After Story without watching Clannad first or it loses its meaning (which kinda sucks because to me Clannad is a mediocre anime).

@Duster: You should watch Cowboy Bebop if you haven't already. Literally every FMA fan I know loves Cowboy Bebop. It's supposedly a pretty good si-fi shounen, although I have never seen it. (Feels weird recommending something I haven't seen.)

Rake likes this.
  8. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby Forum Moderator Channel Leader Developer Forum Moderator Channel Leader Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I would hardly compare Shugo Chara and K-ON. Sure, if you only take the anime version from both, it's not hard to compare, but the story for the Shugo Chara manga is not simply "a but more depth", as it is an actual story.

I like Clannad as much as (or even more than) After Story. Clannad is one of the three animes that managed to make me cry (After Story didn't, possibly because I was spoiled), so it ranks quite high for me, although I'm sure I will at least partly hate the anime version after I play the Visual Novel.
    IMO, Clannad's strength is way more than just "the hardships that occur to normal people in normal life". Clannad has a strong concept (Clannad means 'Family' in I-don't-remember-which-language), and you can easily notice how all arcs are about related to family relationships, which makes it really easy for anyone to see themselves in some of the arcs.

Rake likes this.
  9. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    I have no idea what Clannad is even about, but that reminds me that I was told to play the visual novel. Which... has nothing to do with this thread so I'll shut up now.

Additionally, I've only read the manga, but Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora was both a horrible and a horrible manga. The story just seemed recycled, and the ending left me hanging which I hated. I heard that the anime has a better ending though, which I might check out.

Rake likes this.
  10. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    The Clannad VN will eat your life if you ever try to play it. There are 13 possible 'true' endings, and after story mode unlocks after the 6th.

Clannad is probably the best anime adaptation of a visual novel I have ever seen. They took the 13 story for the anime and did an absolutely amazing job. It was nearly flawless. Steins Gate had a good anime adaptation for the VN as well. It's an interesting story to say the least.

@IceKirby: I think you have a better summary for Clannad that what I wrote. Being spoiled for the end of After Story would have killed it for me. Clannad had many high points, and is probably the best school slice of life I've ever seen, but it felt slow at times and I got bored a bit during the middle (to much of a shounen fan).

Rake likes this.
  11. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    This is nothing after you play Little Busters and Rewrite :x

Rake likes this.
  12. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    What's Little Busters and Rewrite?

Rake likes this.
  13. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Visual Novels from the same developers of Air, Kanon, Clannad and Angel Beats. The first three are visual novels adapted into anime, while Angel Beats is an anime that will get its visual novel. Little Busters anime adaptation just finished airing.

Rake likes this.
  14. Silone

Silone Kanade <3

PO Trainer Name:
    Silone
    Well...If you watched Clannad, Try watching Angle Beats! And of course there's a Sword Art online Extra eddition coming out tommorow. sorry for errors. Phone.
    Angel Beats! summary:
    People called the Afterlife Battle Front fight to survive the afterlife. The anime has 13 episodes and a OVA.

Sword Art Online summary:
    It's the future and VRMMOs exist. Sword Art Online is one of them. The creator of the game trapped all the players in the game and they can't return to the real world unless they beat the game. The anime is 25 episodes and theres the mini short series called Sword Art Offline. Extra Eddition December 31st 2013.

Got bored.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    Rake likes this.
  15. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    Sword Art Online was a little bit... not to my tastes. Well, the anime/manga wasn't that great. I loved the light novel though!

As for Angel Beats... Can I just say no thank you and leave it there? I haven't watched it, but yeah no thank you.

Just so you're clear, Silone, I never watched Clannad. It is excruciatingly difficult to watch a visual novel. And the thing is driving me crazy, how do you get onto the Tomoyo path, and not end with the bad end? The Mei path was really really cute though.

Rake likes this.
  16. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Wow, what a summary XD
    It probably gets more interesting if you mention how they are not exactly trying to survive (since they are already dead), but to find and get revenge on god.

Rake likes this.
  17. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    For what, making humans? Why do they want revenge on god?

Rake likes this.
  18. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    They basically believe that, if there's a god, he's a sonofabitch that deserves a kick in the ass for putting some of them in the situations there were before dying. For example (considerely big spoiler ahead):
    The leader of the group witnessed some robbers invade her house (she was young and only she and her 3 younger sibling were at home), demand all the valuables and kill one of her brother/sister every 10 minutes if she fails to bring something valuable. In the end, all her siblings are killed while she's left alive to despair, so you can imagine why she would be unable to trust in any god and even get to hate them.

Despite that summary, Angel Beats can hardly be considered a dark anime. There are lots of comedic moments mixed with some drama and action parts.

Rake likes this.
  19. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    Sword Art Online was super bad, like I can't even.

Kill la Kill was pretty neat too, same makers as Gurren Laggan and PSG. Already developing a small fanbase too! (MINE AND CRYSTAL'S AVATAR BECAUSE WE'RE AMAZING)

20. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    The first thing, total agreement. You can't put the word "Sword" in an anime's title and then make it a goddamn romance. It's just... no.
    The second thing, uh what. I read the summary of a couple of episodes. "The power of the uniform." What the... devilblessed poo is that supposed to be about? There's a limit to how random something can be and... Kill la Kill seems to overdo it completely. Another thing is that the art for that anime sucks.

Edit: Oh yeah using the word like in that way is a pretty bad habit. Try using something along the lines of... "Sword Art Online was super bad, I can't even describe my hate for it." In fact, I'm not sure if that's a run on, or an incomplete sentence. Both?

Rake likes this.
  21. Silone

Silone Kanade <3

PO Trainer Name:
    Silone
    Other people have different tastes you know...( I can't tell the difference from Hannah and crystal Moogle though) lol I dont even know what to watch anymore. Naruto has over 200 episodes o.o

Rake likes this.
  22. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    @Milost: I believe Tomoyo is one of the unlockable endings. I have five endings and I know how to get the sixth, so Tomoyo would be an unlockable one.

@Silone: I thought SAO had great art. I didn't mind it to much at the beginning but later its just... ugh...
    Fairy Tail is the only 150+ episode show I've ever gone through (Dbz on tv aside). Fairy Tail is my kind of show, good fantasy shounen.

@Hannah: Random animes are good y/y?

I'll have to check out Angel Beats. It doesn't sound to appealing but w/e my list is dry.

Rake likes this.
  23. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    It depends on what you feel lol, most Animes I just like because the story isn't that thick. The recent ones I've watched are mostly comedic ones. Serious/Actiony ones seem like such a drag to catch up to, especially if they're still on going.

The thing I hate the most is watching an on going anime because I get segment by segment of it and it's just a nuisance :(

I've been watching a bit of Ranma 1/2 indirectly. By that I mean my baby brother's are watching my old DVDs of it and I just kinda glance at it when I hang out with them.

Rake likes this.
  24. [LD]Jirachier

[LD]Jirachier RAGE Server Administrator Developer Server Administrator Developer

Currently I'm mostly interested in
    Mangas: Onepunch Man/Dragons Rioting
    Manhwas: Tower of God/The Gamer/Black Haze/Flow/Magician/Id
    Animes: Hmm..nothing at the moment but I did like things Code Geass/Requiem for the Phantom/Darker than Black, as for what I'm waiting for there is only Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders and Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei starting April 2014 :3

I did try Maou Yuusha though, the problem is the action scenes are so damn rare and most of the episodes are spent on boring things.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
    Rake likes this.
  25. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    Well yea, they're pretty much two people with the same brain, born into two different bodies. You are a funny guy, Silone!

I suddenly recall a manga I read a while back, The Drifting Classroom. It was really long, but honestly the story was enjoyable, though people who don't like horror shouldn't read it.
    As a side note, I started watching two anime last night, My Mental Choices are Messing Up My Romantic Comedy and Strategy something. To be honest, I don't think I got the first one right either, but both of them were funny enough, and I got caught watching anime 'cause I was giggling too much.

Rake likes this.
  26. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    @Jirachier: Code geas is a pretty cool mecha, although, I never got past Lelouch of the Rebellion. I'm probably the last person you would want to take anime advice from. Most of the stuff I watch is absurdly slow and has rare action.

Kill la kill is a bit fan servicey for my tastes but I'm enjoying it so far.

Probably the most random anime I have ever seen is hetalia. Imo Hetalia is a pretty accurate representation of what would happen if you turned every country in the world into a single person each then threw them into a board room. It can be hard to keep up with in sub since they talk to fast, otherwise its freaking hilarious. Italy kills me every time.

On a side note, my box of Pokemon B/W manga came in the mail today :]

Rake likes this.
  27. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Kill La Kill is great. It does have a bit of fan-service and is also pretty over the top, but that's what makes it fun!

Rake likes this.
  28. [LD]Jirachier

[LD]Jirachier RAGE Server Administrator Developer Server Administrator Developer

CG has mecha but isn't its main theme, it focuses more on Lelouch and his plans and tactics rather than mecha sword fights.

As for Kill la Kill, I watched a few episodes but then I stopped, it isn't bad but the problem for me was it was kind of trying to imitate Gurren Lagann without succeeding, basically the over the top part wasn't enough.

Rake and fitzy like this.
  29. Duster

Duster dodgerswin

The thing about the fanservice in Kill La Kill is, after a few episodes, it's all kind of overshadowed by the fun and craziness. :)

Another anime I liked was FLCL, and it's only like 6 episodes so I don't spend weeks on it

Rake likes this.
  30. Vahle

Vahle Trapped Under Ice

PO Trainer Name:
    TUI
    So this anime new Space Dandy is going to premier in a few days. It's being done by Bones who also did Soul Eater, both Fullmetal Alchemist adaptations, and the Cowboy Bebop movie, so I'm thinking it will be pretty good or at least watchable. There hasn't been a lot of anime to come out in the past year or so that really caught my eye. Hoping this one will be different.

Not reading a lot of manga lately since I'm caught up with most of what I'm reading. Mostly Claymore, Zetman, or Bleach whenever they come out. Only manhwa I read is The Breaker: New Waves.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  31. uso

uso im cool

PO Trainer Name:
    Miku
    [​IMG]

Hey, just posting here to say that FLCL has to be one of my all-time favorite animes. It's basically everything I love about Gainax and anime in general: killer animation, action, and all-around weirdness. It's definitely not for everyone, but I really, really enjoyed it.

Rake likes this.
  32. Vahle

Vahle Trapped Under Ice

PO Trainer Name:
    TUI
    FLCL has been on my list of stuff to watch for a longass time and I still have not gotten around to it. Once I do I'm pretty certain I'm not gonna be disappointed. I mean Gainax is solid (Evangelion, TTGL, Evangelion reboot????). I'm generally not a fan of anime like this one, but I'm willing to give this one a shot.

Rake likes this.
  33. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    So I finished Kill la Kill... and I want more. As much as I hated the fan service and plot, the randomness and action was rly good. Anyone know of something similar and hopefully less fan servicey?

Rake likes this.
  34. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Kill La Kill is still ongoing though >:O

Rake likes this.
  35. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    If you ask me, everyone should read the manga for The World Ends With You. It is a beautiful manga.

Rake likes this.
  36. Beast

Beast I do what I want

Angel Beats has the most disappointing ending of any anime I have ever watched. I loved the first season of Sword Art Online. The second was good and all but no where close to the first one.

My personal favorite anime: Zero No Tsukaima
    Manga: One Piece, Kimi No Iru Machi, Gamble Fish, Shokugeki no Soma

I am reading Dragons Rioting like Jira and it is really good. I didn't expect to see many things I read here so it made me happy to see that someone mentioned it.

I have a lot of people telling me to watch Attack on Titan, is it worth the watch?

Rake likes this.
  37. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    Beast you're weird you told me to read hentai once

And thanks for the tip, I won't go near Angel Beats ever.
    (What's Zero No Tsukaima?)

Rake likes this.
  38. Beast

Beast I do what I want

I don't think I told you to do that.

Zero No Tsukaima is about a magic school. There is a girl who can't use any magic and on the day you summon a familiar she got a male human instead. The story is about their relationship and the male trying to find his way back home. The girl is a Tsundere. It pretty much has like every character type in the anime. That is the best thing I can describe it as without giving away anything. It has kind of a slow start though and there is a little fan service, especially at the beginning of the series.

Edit:
    Went through logs and I have nothing with me telling you to read hentai.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    Rake likes this.
  39. Marina

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    Wait, I think I've heard of that before. Forgot its name before I could look it up though, so that was a welcome reminder.
    Does anyone here know what Zillion Zest is about, or even what kind of Japanese thing it is? Google is not turning up anything meaningful, probably because I don't read Japanese.

Rake likes this.
  40. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I disagree. I found Angel Beats' ending quite good. What was disappoint was the lack of development for all the characters it had, mainly because it was a 12~13 episodes anime, which ended wasting the good potential the anime's setting has. Hopefully that will be fixed when the Visual Novels are released.

Rake likes this.