1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Anime/Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rioku, Dec 24, 2013.

1. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    i recently finished KlK, despite the tiny amount of fanservice, it's p good
    i like gamagori

also watch steins gat

2. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

gamagoori x mako is cute even if it's completely one-sided and unrequited

I ended up dropping like half the shows I was watching this season bc I just can't care, feels bad
    Might pick them up back again in a week or so if I feel like it though

3. Whereabouts Unknown

Whereabouts Unknown Absolutely Stunning Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    Wow I can't open page 11 without lagging my browser RIP

@IceKirby Simoun was amazing, something I never would have heard of normally but certainly one of my favorites of all time. Nothing too controversial to come of this, but I have to say 2006 was the best year in anime. At least half of my favorite shows are from then now.

Looking at 2015, Binan Chikyuu is pure gold. It's literally everything I wanted and more.

Yuri Kuma: Attack on Lesbians? It's interesting but I'm only two episodes in atm. Could see this going in a good direction.

And there are like 3 other shows I want to see this season but no time. I ended up watching Black Butler instead, which to be fair was a worthy endeavor.

I also gagged a bit at the amount of Code Geass voice actors that are in Spice and Wolf. Like, 3 leads? What's next, Yukana?

Edit:
    Still haven't finished KlK :( is it worth?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. Nicehat

It is worth finishing KLK

edit: reminds me that I need to watch the KLK OVA

edit2: forgot I already watched it and completely forgot about it
    Rewatching it is cool too though

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    KlK just gets better as you go on
    Also I watched watamote over the past few days and its like sad :( i really liked the art style tho

6. Whereabouts Unknown

Whereabouts Unknown Absolutely Stunning Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    WataMote is amazing, Kuroki Tomoko best girl 10/1

(Really though it is quite sad, but it's also a pleasant reminder that life could be worse!)

I think I'll try to renew from KlK from on-hold maybe this weekend.

7. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    What about the death?

8. Nicehat

Yuru Yuri Nachuyachumi OVA! 1hr long :o
    [​IMG]

9. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Still waiting on subs though :(

10. Whereabouts Unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    I'm always impressed when a character
    literally attempts rape and murder in their debut episode, and nonetheless, by the time they get killed you've become attached to them. But that's part of what's beautiful about Simoun. Even when peoples' trusts are violated, forgiveness prevails. The world of Simoun is explicitly a suspension of social order where these characters are looking for the answers to their desires. I think the saddest part was seeing everyone move on from being Sibyllae (well, most of them). This Sibylla sub-world allowed for so much freedom which is absolutely lost once they go to the spring. Mamiina's decision to die to save her enemies, which is completely against the logic of war (and of society), is something only Sibyllae can do. It's prioritizing compassion over social constructs. That's why it was so upsetting to see that Floef and Aaeru's former roommate end on opposite sides of the war at the end. Their desires are compromised once they go the spring, because society must function by mitigating those desires for whatever greater purpose. Erif's scream in the second episode reminds us how profound that forfeit of self is, and basically what everyone is facing when Chor Tempest is disbanded. Anyway, I actually found Mamiina's suicide shocking and confusing when it happened. It wasn't until the end that I got how profound Aaeru (the highest form of love) was.

I assume that's the death your talking about; it's certainly the one that stands out. Sorry for the wall of text. tl;dr - good themes, good death.

11. RockyRd

RockyRd bap

Don't need subs for TOSHINOU KYOUKO

12. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Hitman Reborn has to be one of my favourite Anime of all times,hands down.Been a long time that I'd watched it,but it simply continues to hold a special place in my heart.
    Just done with Deadman Wonderland.Will hopefully continue it in Manga now lol..Any idea what episode the Anime continues into?

13. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Ping Pong the Animation is quite something.
    I couldn't find the last episode anywhere which made me sad but I'll get it some day soon when I remember.
    It's a sport anime that's not about the sport, and that's kind of neat. It manages to not do anything dumb like force a romance into the plot or some other generic shit as well. I'm not personally a fan of the art, I don't think it looks good, but it's OK, it would make most other shows unwatchable for me but it kinda works with this one well enough.

Fuzzysqurl likes this.
  14. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
  15. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    [​IMG]
    Can we talk about this though.

16. Nicehat

FYI for anyone watching [email protected] Cinderella Girls, there's no episode next week: the next episode airs March 6th

17. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    >implying the recap episode isn't going to be amazing
    >not wanting to listen to 'New Generations'

Sure, no episode, if you're a plebian.

18. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    i started reading the watamote manga
    needless to say, it's p good, much better than the anime imo (and the anime was good)

uhhhhhh recently i watched NieA_7, which is like kinda old and about an alien girl livin with broke college student, its p nice and relaxing
    rn im watching kuroku no basket just because \o/

someone recommend me things

19. RockyRd

RockyRd bap

ben-to is amazing would recommend
    and spice and wolf
    and my teen romcom SNAFU

20. Nicehat

SHIROBAKO
    Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon
    Gintama

21. Whereabouts Unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    Speaking of recap episodes, KlK recap was 10/1. Literally, because it was 1 minute.

22. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    KlK recap made me happy

23. Nicehat

24. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    If Nozawa Masako can voice a 7-years old boy and a 30+ year old man in a same episode, then nothing else matters.
    To be honest, is not really surprising that a 17 years old would have that voice. But that would be another story if he's able to actually sing well while maintaining it.

25. Nicehat

His normal talking voice is even lower than the voice he uses for Producer lol it's ridiculous
    If you think that kind of voice is normal for 17-year old (not even an adult yet) then IDK what kind of people you grew up around
    Also IDK why you're comparing female 80-year old seiyuu to male 17-year old but okay

26. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    It's not rare for some 17-year old guys to already have adult (including the voice). Not saying it's common, but it's not really surprising either since his job is all about the voice.
    As for mentioning Nozawa, it's just that it needs to have some gap like that to actually surprise me.

27. Nicehat

28. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Should I?

29. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    I can't find a subbed version of the special program ;__;

30. Nicehat

Well I mean if you're going to talk about the guy's voice maybe it would help to actually hear it first???

Also Rolling Girls is too good

Since it's mostly a recap and half of it isn't actually anime at all I wouldn't be surprised if nobody bothered subbing it, unfortunately
    Guess we'll see in a week or so if UTW bothers with it

31. Whereabouts Unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    Oh wow, I rescind all doubts on KlK. Everything after the OP change was amaze. The plot was so (ironically) slow in the first half and the fight scenes were too long for my tastes, but damn, it finished so well. Miki Shinchiro and Koshimizu Ami are stellar always. Tamura Yukari who usually annoys me was fantastic in her role. Probably some of the best art and music I've enjoyed in a while as well.

As for the 'fanservice', it's a different context than most other shows because nudity is literally a theme. So it's less annoying than gratuitous upskirts / shower scenes that have no relevance to the plot. Looking at you Monogatari >:[

Am I the only one who likes Black Butler II's ending more than Book of Circus/Murder continuation? I thought it wrapped up an ending perfectly to a series whose ending by design would otherwise seem incomplete. Oh well, it's a good series you should check out if you haven't yet.

32. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    Nudity was part of the theme, yea, but they still put some stuff in for no reason really, but atleast it wasnt overbearing
    I really liked both the english dub and the japanese just bc both had really good parts (english ryuko was good, english gamagori was rly good, english nonon was jinx(!!), japanese nonon nani sore, etc)

i also really liked the watamote english dub even though the japanese tomoko was really good as well

do you guys just all prefer subs or do you like dub or ... . ?
    i usual watch an episode or two subbed then an episode or two dubbed and just go with what i like better from then on

also kuroko no basketball is good even though theyre rly too sweaty

33. Nicehat

Nowadays all I watch is subbed because 90% of what I watch is stuff that is just airing in Japan, and in general it seems easier to watch subbed anime than dubbed anime anyway

First actual anime (not Pokemon or Naruto or w/e that aired on TV) I ever watched was The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and I really enjoyed the English dub. Crispin Freeman as Kyon was very good, Bosch as Koizumi and Wendee Lee as Haruhi was good as well, and Stephanie Sheh as Mikuru was not awful, which is miles above what I'd expect from that kind of character. Never seen or heard it, but reportedly the Cowboy Bebop English dub was ridiculously good as well.
    That said, it's very hit-or-miss, and usually usually miss: e.g. the Lucky Star dub was complete garbage for me. It feels like there's always this certain kind of female voice in English dubs that I find incredibly awful, not sure how to explain it though (could probably find an example really easily but that would take effort). Another part of it is that I'm pretty sure that I just bias towards whatever version I watch first, and nowadays that's virtually guaranteed to be the subbed version.
    Another bonus of watching subbed version is that taking screencaps while watching the show becomes way better, because then you can actually see what they're saying in the image.

edit: Kancolle anime!!
    How could they just kill off the Admiral like that? lol

The iMAS CG special program was subbed on Daisuki, check it out if you want to watch it: Link
    Also watch [email protected] Cinderella Girls if you aren't already, the show is fantastic

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  34. Whereabouts Unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya has one of the few dubs I actually like. Everyone says Code Geass dub is great (the irony is often missed) but I attribute that to Bosch as well (does a good Lulu). Most characters are murdered by the dub (Kallen and C.C. especially).

I tried watching Cowboy Bebop subbed and got lynched by just about everyone I know. It's the only instance that just about everyone prefers Sub>Dub (even the original writer I heard? really?). Death Note splits about even for me. Almost everything else I stubbornly prefer sub or else didn't even give the dub a chance. I'd sooner watch raw than dub for most things - I had to do this for a Black Butler episode that wasn't working recently, and it wasn't that hard to follow what's going on. It's not that I think dubs are intrinsically poorer quality - though granted they usually are - it's that I would rather enjoy the original piece of work with more effort than an imitation more easily. It probably sounds really purist, but I hate the thought of increasing the degrees of separation from the writers. Having to read subs is limiting enough.

35. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    Black Butler II's plot as a whole was pretty lame, though you really can't expect much from something that was anime-exclusive.

36. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Baccano!'s dub is excellent and afaik that's the general consensus. We should all go watch it.

Fuzzysqurl likes this.
  37. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

o yes this was one of my first anime
    and yea watch the dub because it's set in 1920s america
    [​IMG]

flcl and cowboy bebop are the other shows where i liked the dub better than sub

38. Nicehat

Actually another thing I'll say is that dubbed OPs and EDs are great

39. Whereabouts Unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    Afaik Tobosa Yona was pretty heavily involved with everything after the divergence from the manga as well.

40. Marley Rose

Marley Rose Magical Girl

PO Trainer Name:
    Illyasviel
    I just can't fathom someone liking Black Butler II more than Book of Circus :confused: