1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Anime/Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rioku, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

Yuru Yuri S3 announced!!
    Get hype for TOSHINOU KYOUKO

One-Punch Man also getting an anime adaptation!

2. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    FINALLY after the OVA announcement I lost my way, but I am glad it is happening

3. Whereabouts Unknown

Whereabouts Unknown Absolutely Stunning Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    I stumbled across this Madoka and YuYuYu comparison and thought it was a really good read. It boosted my overall appreciation for YuYuYu, and helped to understand the similarities and dissimilarities between the two. Feel free to discuss.

4. Nicehat

I disagree with a lot of what's in the post, but it's an interesting comparison.
    The term 'deconstruction' needs to die in a fire though.

IceKirby likes this.
  5. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Continued watching Naruto, enjoying it a lot so far. The battles are much more about cunning and deception, unlike a lot of Animes (cough Dragonball Z) which is basically who can blow up more shit.

6. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Don't forget about animes (cough Saint Seiya) which is about who can fight better with the power of friendship.

7. Nicehat

Shikamaru's the best amirite

8. Dr. Doom

So far I like Kakashi and Rock Lee the best.

9. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    But battle-wise, isn't Rock Lee quite a DBZ-like character?

10. Dr. Doom

You make a fair point, but from what I've seen of DBZ most of the characters rely purely on their power (and why not when you can blow up planets?), but Lee does employ a fair bit of strategy (see his fight with Gaara) and in ways he's among the weakest of the characters since he has no Ninjitsu or Genjitsu. That said, one of my all time favourite fights is between Shikamaru and Temari - 2 expert strategists who know each other's styles trying to outwit one another.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  11. Fiery Espeon

Fiery Espeon The fire never bothered me anyway ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    I'm like two years late but best episode of Death Note that I should rewatch? I felt like rewatching the anime because it was fricking phenomenal.
    Except like the ending which was terrible
    Team Kira or Team L / Task Force? Honestly, I strongly prefer Team Kira over L. Light Yagami is just so perfect ^_^
    Feel free to be Team Whammy, but like not my favorite characters. And how should have Light Yagami won at the end, in your opinion?
    I never was interested in Naruto. Should I watch it? Any recommendations on which season to start on?

Spoiler tags because major spoilers.

12. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

The "cunning and deception" part goes away at blinding speeds at the final stretch of the story. It turns into a massive, bullshit-ridden slugfest of "my jutsu is stronger than yours" with one asspull after another. Leading up to a certain event that wasn't even foreshadowed properly.

Seriously, after the war arc and the finale I kind of can't make a solid recommendation of Naruto Shippuden to anyone. The first half is amazing and Shippuden held up too if it wasn't for Sasuke being a ridiculously gullible asshole. It kind of started going downhill after Sasuke's big battle with Itachi.

Don't think that's spoilers at least since that battle was seen from miles away.

13. Dr. Doom

I've heard that happens, but the show has around 400 episodes - it's incredibly rare for a show to still be top notch quality after that time. Just look at the Simpsons.

14. Nicehat

The original Naruto anime ends with like 80 straight episodes of filler, that was pretty garbage
    Early Shippuuden is still cool, TBH I just watch Naruto for the fights so I just skip over most of the other episodes

If you want to watch, watch up to episode 135 in the original, then start watching Shippuuden.
    If you want to save time just watch Chuunin Exam arc (starts episode 20) and Sound Five arc (starts episode 107), those are pretty much better than anything else in the original
    Also skip episode 101, that episode is the definition of complete and utter shit

15. Nicehat

Cinderella Girls is split-cour now, last half will air in Fall, I think? and original [email protected] will air in the meantime instead
    Presumably because the production is kind of imploding at this point, so they need the extra time to get their shit together
    [​IMG]

16. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    ok so im almost done with ben-to which rockyrd recommended
    i like the concept and the fight scenes and the characters
    lots of fanservice, mayb too much
    good show

also im caught up on kuroko basket ball and thats p good

i would recommend both, kuroko if you want something more serious, bento if you wnat somethin kinda funny

edit: finished ben-to, good show, prob will watch spice and wolf next

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  17. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
  18. Nicehat

Nourin and Go!Go!575 had the best OPs, so that looks like it'll be pretty cool
    Not that I'll ever own a Vita though

edit:Link because Nourin's OP is sooo good

Shinmai Maou has the shittiest last arc ever, would not recommend watching
    Just pretend the series ends at episode 8, since everything else after is garbage

Next season starts in two weeks! (It's coming really fast, isn't it?)
    I'm planning to marathon Nisekoi before Nisekoi: comes out, so guess that'll be fun #team______

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  19. RockyRd

RockyRd bap

HASHTAGTEAM_CHITOGE

also gave up on all spring anime except saekano rip monster hunter too strong

IceKirby likes this.
  20. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Let's not forget Mikakunin de Shinkoukei.
    Not that I will ever own a Vita either.

21. Nicehat

Shinmai Maou no Testament second season was announced! Shinmai Maou no Testament: Burst airs this October~
    Looking forward to it because the majority of the show was good and there were some interesting threads left undone.
    Still can't recommend watching past episode 8 though orz

edit: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic PV3

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  22. turbedi

turbedi Professional circle clicker ~~~ Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    turbedi
    A new sequel for the Steins;Gate novel was announced and it also gets an anime adaptaion. #HYPE!!

23. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    yES steins gate is my fav when is this come out

24. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I have not been so hype in months oml

Fuzzysqurl likes this.
  25. Nicehat

Spring season is pretty solidly started, so figured I'd post my first impressions for anyone who keeps up to date on the latest anime to air

Dungeon ne Deai wo Motomeru... aka Danmachi— Hestia is bestia, and the first ep had some cool action so it was decent overall I guess
    Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu— Not the second coming of Haruhi, but still pretty fun to watch. Asakura and Tsuruya are amazing
    Re-Kan!— Good show once you get over the awful backgrounds and mediocre art. Amami x Inoue OTP
    Show by Rock!!— what the actual fuck was this
    Denpa Kyoushi— Kinda generic, it's probably what you can expect from its English localized title "Ultimate Otaku Teacher"
    Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic— The second coming of Kiniro Mosaic, obviously this show is great
    Teekyuu 4— 5th season got announced literally minutes after the first ep of S4 aired, Teekyuu is the strongest
    Takamiya Nasuno, Desu!: Teekyuu Spinoff— Because one ep of Teekyuu a week wasn't enough, obviously
    Hibike! Euphonium— Good first episode and looking forward to more, typical amazing KyoAni show. Definitely reminded me of my own experience in high school band
    Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku— Incredibly fun show, the main character is an absolute blast to watch and the action and setting are really cool.
    Houkago no Pleiades— It was good, I guess? Not sure what to say about it after only one episode, but I guess it was interesting and cute and I liked it.
    Ame-iro Cocoa— This show is uninteresting but it's just a 2 minute short so whatever
    Etotama— Fun show, but it is all over the place in terms of genre. Was absolutely not what I expected
    Urawa no Usagi-chan— Really nice background art and the ED is cool, but the show itself is lifeless and has zero energy
    Punchline— Incredibly dumb, don't bother watching unless you want to see a show literally based around the trashiest anime tropes in existence. It's soooo duuuumb

I heard Plastic Memories was good, and Kyoukai no Rinne was written by Rumiko Takahashi aka the mangaka of Inuyasha and Ranma, so check those out if you're interested I guess

Still waiting on Nisekoi: (#TeamOnodera) and Yamada-kun no 7nin no Majo to air~

edit: Non-sequel power ranking after episode 1:
    1) Hibike! Euphonium
    2) Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku
    3) Etotama
    4) Houkago no Pleiades
    5) Re-Kan!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  26. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    From the 1st episode, it looks like that kind of show that does a good mix between drama and light comedy moments. It gave me a good impression.

#TeamChitoge pls. Or at least the other Onodera.

27. turbedi

turbedi Professional circle clicker ~~~ Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    turbedi
  28. RockyRd

RockyRd bap

onodera's mom is so good i don't know anyone that doesn't love her
    only shows im watching this season probably are 8man and nisekoi, hoping 8man is good haven't watched the first ep yet

29. Nicehat

I won't lie at first I thought Chitoge was the best with MC
    Then she started turning dere and her compatibility with Raku just completely plummeted, RIP

Onodera #1 Marika #2 come at me
    Even Tsugumi and
    Yui
    are better

30. uso

uso im cool

PO Trainer Name:
    Miku
    ok for me...
    gintama° - i love gintama so much ok........if u havent watched gintama then wyd
    oregairu s2 - s1 was cute i thought it was going to be an annoying harem anime but i was wrong! i love hikki and the new animation looks nice
    ore monogatari - (omg...watch it ok...just do it)
    wow and probably yamada-kun and the 7 witches! i should like..catch up with the manga
    ill prolly watch daiya no A s2 too tbh (i need to finish s1 still) the first ep of s2 just looked like a recap of an older s1 episode tho :|

31. Nicehat

Ninja Slayer the Animation is the most based Trigger show ever

and by that I mean it's Inferno Cop, so if you were hoping for Kill la Kill S2 you're gonna be pretty massively disappointed

32. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    '-' Hey guys! I watch anime but it's mostly Shounen action.
    Can I get anime/manga thriller suggestions? Something that works on the psychological level?

33. Nicehat

Maybe Cross Ange, Aldnoah.Zero, Psycho-pass, or Valvrave? depending on what you mean by psychological level

If you somehow haven't seen it yet then Death Note is probably exactly what you're looking for though

Joyverse likes this.
  34. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah I did need suggestions like these.
    ty n_n

35. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Deadman Wonderland.Try not to feel sorry.
    Couldn't really find the sub,but here's the first episode-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOygrqJuzyA .

Joyverse likes this.
  36. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Haze Victory likes this.
  37. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

It's going to be placed a few years after the Buu saga.So much for DBGayTransformation ^_^.

38. Nicehat

Digimon Adventure Tri pushed back to November 2015 and planned to be a 6-part movie series instead of airing on TV

39. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Goodbye, sweet summer days.

PO Trainer Name:
    Cassandra
    Yo but Jojo tho

40. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

As long as we eventually get our super saiyan transformation in a super saiyan transformation like in the recent movie I'll be happy.

And make Gohan a worthwhile character again. Might be asking for a bit much though.

Insane Soul likes this.