1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Anime/Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rioku, Dec 24, 2013.

1. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    How about "make every character not named Goku or Vegeta worthwhile"?

2. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Baby steps man, baby steps.

IceKirby likes this.
  3. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

This one's by Toriyama himself.I'm having high expectations from this :D.Glad to say DBGT never existed.
    Hoping Vegeta gets to be a hero for once tho.

4. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Was it even confirmed anywhere that this new Dragon Ball would disregard DBGT? All I read was that it would take place after the Buu saga, but that could very easily be at some point after Z end and before GT starts or even during that time skip that occurs at the end of DBZ (from Buu's defeat to Goku finding Uub).

5. Haze Victory

With the god mode and stuff pouring in,I see it next to impossible to merge this into GT.Dbgt had no mention of the gods anywhere either,so safe assuming.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  6. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Did I just hear GT non-canon?
    I like the sound of this.

7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

GT never was actually canon. Toriyama contributed his artwork to it but he never actually said that it's what happens at any length of time after Buu was defeated. The only way it'll be canon is if he decides to actually write that down as the direct continuation of the story, rather than happening at a random time after the events of Z. I love GT and it does have very little inconsistencies in and of itself, but unless Toriyama himself states that it's the continuation of his story, it's just a spin-off the company made with his permission.

Plus if we're to believe that Battle of Gods and the sequel is canon(and honestly we're lead to believe this through the happenings and states of everyone in the movie) then that transformation completely invalidates GT's existence. Even Gohan going super saiyan still happens in GT when he should be strong enough after the Buu saga to not have to use it. There would be no need for Super Saiyan 4, Goku and Vegeta could just go god, transform while being gods and laugh while stomping everyone into the ground.

Imagine a super saiyan god Gogeta vs Omega Shenron lol.

8. Celestial Phantom

Celestial Phantom YAHA

New Dragon Ball raises alarms to hope for some good old nostalgia here. Though its entirely possible that DBGT could still be considered to go after this new series pending how they timeline it. I mean its been years, but as far as I recall Battle Of the Gods would happen sometime prior to the actual Z ending of the Buu saga since we learn no Pan yet, and at the end of the overall, it skipped a few to end with Pan at like Gohan's age (at the start). So unless I actually messed that up, GT is like 10 or some years after that. So, I'd laugh if at the end of all this, the new series would randomly lead into GT (oh gosh...I really hope it doesn't though).

Nostalgia me though can't wait to see a better continuation of DB though. Even some of my casual friends are interested in the new hype.

9. Haze Victory

Just completed the first season of Attack on Titan and this is by far one of the best anime I've watched. Very realistic, very well thought out,really great characters and barely misses out on stuff from the Manga.Mikasa is one of the most useful female characters out there,and the character developments that take place here are simply huge compared to most other animes!I just can't wait for the next season.Too bad it releases next year lol.Am holding back from reading the manga as the anime has been simply epic this far and I expect no less from the upcoming season.

TraceofLife likes this.
  10. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Watched Attack on Titan aswell, pretty interesting plot, the anime was good from the beginning to the end.
    Another anime I'm watching and soon going to finish is Hajime No Ippo, that one is literally the best boxing anime ever (If there is any other around), I'd recommend it to anyone.
    The New DBZ Movie sucked, nice job Akira Toriyama

11. Haze Victory

Just completed Deadman Wonderland.. I'm glad the way it ended.. That's all I have to say about it :')..Best ending of any manga I've read so far..

12. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

Watching so many shows this season it's pretty absurd lol

Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist.: As awesome as the title sounds, Symphogear is a masterpiece and getting a third season is amazing

Sore ga Seiyuu!: SHIROBAKO-esque show focusing on seiyuu (voice actors) instead of animation, also best OP and ED not close

Wakaba*Girl: By the same mangaka as Kiniro Mosaic, this show is incredibly cute so if you like CGDCT you should probably watch this

Himouto! Umaru-chan:
    [​IMG]
    Probably the most realistic little sister in anime ever

Gakkou Gurashi!: Good show, highly recommend, don't drop until you finish the first episode

Danchigai: Good comedy short, first episode was energetic and never really fell into the do-nothing that slice-of-life shows tend to lull in

Okusama ga Seitokaichou: Amusing setting, good fanservice, not much to complain about except for Ui's voice which I don't like at all

Joukamachi no Dandelion: Pretty low-key and dull, though the main character is pretty cute

Million Doll: Idol anime that focuses on the fandom instead of the idols themselves, pretty good if you have any interest in that fandom and probably unwatchable otherwise

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan: The show is garbage but Rico's personality is so incredibly terrible that I have to continue, even though I really wanted to drop it after the first three minutes

Non Non Biyori Repeat, To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd, Miss Monochrome S2, Teekyuu S5: Exactly what the title says, pretty much more of the same

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. Dasdardly

Dasdardly Uknown Bird

PO Trainer Name:
    Dasdardly, Eureka
    Gatchaman Crowds Insight and Kaleid Liner 2wei herz are the only things worth watching this season (as they air owo). Hyped for blu-rays that way I can watch TLR and Monmusume. And then DRRR whenever it's finished so I don't forget who's who halfway through the season.
    and man I've been listening to KanColle's OP and wishing it was a better anime.

Jeez it's so good.

14. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Add Working! S3 to that list.

15. Nicehat

Sore ga Seiyuu is actually the best anime this season not close, being a newbie seiyuu is tough

Last ep had Nozawa Masako (Goku's CV) making an appearance, this week has Kamiya Hiroshi (Araragi) talking about his cat[​IMG]

God Eater's first episode was pretty disappointing, hoping it improves soon with the introduction of the second squad and eventually the female Newtype because the main character is incredibly boring even for a main character

Venus Project - Climax had a deceptively amazing opening (idols + giant robots = win) but the rest of it wasn't that interesting. It'll probably heat up once the idol battles get going though

edit: Kuusen Madoushi Kohousei no Kyoukan is good

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  16. Haze Victory

Just completed the Tokyo Ghoul manga and it really picked off after the 80th chapter.Can't say it was worth my time though as the writer left many of the plot holes uncovered and was hoping to see them being covered in Tokyo Ghoul re. Anyway,am 11 chapters into the sequel and it's only been utter bs so far.Haise is somehow Kaneki and can get by eating human food all of a sudden somehow,Yoshimura probably being experimented on atm and no one gives a crap,Aogiri dies down in activity all of a sudden and no insights on Eto yet,Yomo being like "F*ck Rize,Ima sit down at Touka's coffee shop instead" and many other plot holes either just forgotten about or left out for the time being.I may be mistaken but iirc we haven't had any back story on the old man leading the CCG either,who seemed to be a very mysterious character to me throughout the series.Forgive me if I'm being naive here tho.
    I'm definitely not asking for too much here when I say I'd really have preferred Tg:re to have started off with a more assertive start than this.It has been only bland this far,though I will read it till the 20th chapter and see if it picks off by then.If it doesn't,then I'm gonna put this down.The original itself only got interesting after the 80th chapter or so,and I was hoping to see a proper closure to the plot holes instead of the series going all out passive again.Especially considering the intensity with with the original Tokyo Ghoul ended.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. pokemonnerd

Re starts picking up around chapter 20 again imo. Plus after the arc that starts there questions from the original are starting to get answered.

Slight spoilers, don't think it'll ruin much.

Really I like the style the author went with for Re. It's going to give some serious payoff when kaneki starts resurfacing more and more. Plus other characters that were put aside to put focus on new and existing ones are slowly coming back. We basically know what Amon is doing and even Takizawa has made an appearance. Uta is probably going to be very important in upcoming developments as well.

I mean I could understand if people are offset by lack of action, but that was always secondary to the emotional torment of Kaneki and the various problems ghouls face just by existing. Plus aogiri dying down in activity is logical since after the Anteiku raid the CCG and more importantly Arima started becoming more active. Absolutely no one in-universe liked Rize either, the one guy who did was a bumbling idiot who didn't realize she was mocking him and kaneki was only starting to try and know her. Iirc we don't even know the real reason why Yomo "rescued" Rize in the first place. Yoshimura's fate is really fucking ambiguous though, but like Amon I'm sure it'll be answered in coming chapters. Ishida doesn't forget about his characters.

About haise/kaneki eating normal food:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He clearly can't since he asks about that and doctor Shiba states it beyond the shadow of a doubt. Subtleties like this are another reason why tokyo ghoul is awesome. And if he can eat normal food, he probably does it for similar reasons Touka did, or may have something to do with the RC repressors.

But at the same time I'm a lot more patient and forgiving about "slow" stories like tokyo ghoul. Really it's more of a series where a lot of people would be better off reading a few chapters at a time, or even treat the arcs like seasons and just read them and stop until the next one is completed.[/Spoiler][/Spoiler]

I also hate working with spoiler tags on my phone.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  18. Haze Victory

I might as well go ahead and read a bit into it if so.
    I am planning on picking up Fate/Zero next as this seems very interesting from what people tell me.Looks to me like a serious series,the way Attack on Titan did(Really liked the assertive pace and the serious environment this maintained throughout.).I'll probably catch up on Naruto too if I feel like it,though I highly doubt I'm gonna stick to this one.I'll read into Tokyo Ghoul:re a bit deeper for now.Not that I hate slow paced Animes,but Tokyo Ghoul's pace has only seemed unstable to me this far.Atm am reading into the 20th chapter and will continue if I regain an interest in this.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  19. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    i started watching God Eater, watched 3 episodes and i completely lost interest in it :/

20. Haze Victory

That happens to me too lol.Oftentimes I start an Anime that doesn't capture me nearly as weIl as I expect it to..I still give the entire first season a try tho,in which case,to see if things pick up in the mean time.They usually do.
    Haven't watched God Eater though, but I started Psycho pass.Am only 3 episodes into it so far but it doesn't seem to be a passive, generic Anime; and looks pretty interesting even at this point.Am expecting a lot from this as the reviews seemed great and it's from the same writer as Hitman Reborn.Hitman Reborn felt like it was aimed at 13+ though.Was a pretty fun Anime still.Anyway,will delve a bit deeper into Psycho pass as it doesn't look the least bit generic and the plot seems promising.
    Btw guys,got an idea how often Snk chapters are released?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  21. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    it was every one month but idk about now

22. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Fate Zero is definitely good. Watch it.
    Watched some feels anime recently.
    Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, Usagi Drop and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
    With the exception of the last one which is merely "ok" I would go as far as to recommend all of them if you haven't seen them. They each explore something interesting. Guilt, jealousy, responsibility, sacrifice, all that shit and in most cases it's executed well too.

Unrelated I also am watching JOJO. Definitely no deep themes here. Some of the absolute best moments in anime, punctuated with some of the most boring. It's pretty great tho.

23. Haze Victory

Well,the September issue came out around the 16th of July.Aot is hands down one of my favourite series of all time,but I still have no idea to how Isayama goes about his releases..lol.

Got past the 6th episode of Psycho pass and this has been genuinely interesting so far.Even though I am more of a Shonen/Seinen guy,I'm amazed at how much I am enjoying a detective Anime.
    (The main character looks awfully similar to Hibari Kyoya from Khr's future arc tho.Guessing that's the character she decided to carry over?)
    Oh and I'll definitely give Fate/Zero a try after this.Am hoping it's not above 150 episodes though.

24. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    24 (or 26, not sure, but it was 2-cour).
    Although it would be better to watch it if you already know Fate/Stay Night. F/Z is the prequel, but it assumes you already know F/SN so it gives some important spoilers.

25. Haze Victory

Thanks for clearing that up.Had no idea it was a prequel :o.
    Anyway,completed Psycho Pass.It was an amazing anime..That pacing though was spot on,and will recommend it to anyone 16+.
    Atm,am trying to decide between Parasyte and Fate/Stay Night to watch next.Heard a lot of praise for Parasyte,so might as well flip a coin now,lol.

26. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    The thing about Fate/Stay Night is that it's a bit hard to watch (which is why I said "know" in my previous post).
    The first F/SN anime has a few issues because it follows the first route from the VN but it adds stuff from the other 2 which makes some parts confusing.
    The 2nd anime (Unlimited Blade Works), on the other side, is quite good, but it's the 2nd route so you may want to know the stuff from the 1st one.
    The 3rd route is not animated yet (they announced it as a movie, which is likely to get too rushed since that route is big).

Ideally you should play the VN instead of watching the anime, but if that's not your thing or you don't have the time (it took me 100 hours to finish it), you can try watching the first season with all its flaws and knowing the second season and Fate/Zero gets a lot better.

27. Haze Victory

I'm still confused lol.I may be free this entire month so may have the time. Is there a certain order I can go about the Anime?I'm open to reading the manga too,if it is more accurate, thanks.

28. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    I don't know about the manga versions, so the order I recommend are those:
    Fate/Stay Night (AKA 1st season) > Unlimited Blade Works (AKA 2nd season) > Fate/Zero.
    Or Visual Novel > Unlimited Blade Works > Fate/Zero.

Fate Testarossa likes this.
  29. Haze Victory

Thanks for summing that up ^_^.Will start Fate/stay night after Parasyte then.

30. Nicehat

Do you actually read the Nasu H-scenes when you play through the VN or do you just skip through them

31. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    today i imagined takeo from ore monogatari being dubbed by gilford gottfried and laughed for 20 hours

32. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Proof that god exists: Ace Attorney anime is coming.

Edna likes this.
  33. Nicehat

So hyped for Ace Attorney anime, definitely looking forward to when it airs in April 2016 (so far at least)

Guess I might as well post my anime impressions this season, though honestly Cinderella Girls aside it's pretty disappointing

Overall rankings:
    1) THE [email protected] Cinderella Girls S2
    2) Sore ga Seiyuu
    3) Danchigai
    4) Wakaba Girl
    5) Senki Zesshou Symphogear GX: Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist.

Watched list (roughly in ranking order? maybe):
    The [email protected]: Cinderella Girls's second season has just been incredibly good. Every episode has been solid in terms of character development and progression (especially Miria in the Decoration episode), and Uzuki is an absolute angel <3 and her arc so far has been amazing (THAT SCENE!!!). Even though it's not finished yet (two episodes to go), it's still easily my pick for show of the season and nothing comes remotely close. Mishiro in particular was handled masterfully, she is just miles and leagues above Kuroi/961 as an antagonist and her presence actually does act as a catalyst for the Cinderella Project to adapt and improve. She breathes fresh life in what otherwise could have been a rather formulaic second season (e.g. Non Non Biyori Repeat).
    Literally my only complaint is the lack of Anya episode but despite that this show is still almost completely perfect.
    The special program was pretty fun to watch too, Producer's CV is so young and handsome @[email protected] and they talked a lot about the various lives in both the anime and the real-life concerts
    Sore ga Seiyuu was a fun show, although it didn't go as deep as Shirabako it certainly didn't hesitate to show the less appealing parts of seiyuu work (they got Shiraishi Ryoko on in a cameo appearance to talk about her throat surgery ffs). It ended up being a little heavy on the seiyuu idol aspects (the entire last episode was about their debut concert lolthere's another episode?? oops) but I still learned a lot about that as well but also just in general about voice acting work and such.
    Danchigai and Wakaba Girl were both adorable shorts that were really enjoyable to watch, not much else to say about them but they were probably the most consistently enjoyable non-sequel non-Sore ga Seiyuu shows this season
    Symphogear GX sure trainwrecked hard this season orz. Autoscorers are awesome but the anime spent way too much time on them and not enough on actually making Carol or Elfnein compelling characters (plus all the random shit with Tsubasa's dad, Hibiki's dad, Chris being a senpai, Maria being useless, etc.), so the entire finale just completely fell flat for me, which is immensely disappointing for what I was expecting from Symphogear. This could have been #1 had it not been so disappointing, but this is as high as I can rank it given the circumstances.
    To Love-Ru definitely didn't disappoint in the choice of chapters to adapt, getting Nana/Mea friendship arc, Nemesis appearing, demon sword episode and now ending with Darkness arc as (presumably) the finale. Only complaint is lack of Momo focus but she's still a great character and this season is still quite good despite that massive problem.
    Himouto was a fun comedy show, everyone was likeable (my favourite was Ebina) and it's just fun to see Umaru being a complete jerk and Onii-chan having to take care of her. That said, as comedy shows tend to do, it did start to get a bit old near the end, but the final episode was still really enjoyable.
    Gakkou Gurashi has a good premise and it is definitely really good at times but a lot of the show feels like random filler and the ending was immensely unsatisfying
    Glossing over the actual exciting parts of the last episode's climax to focus on Taromarou? Really?
    I did read the manga and I did like some of how of the manga finished up with its corresponding version of events; the anime's version had merits above it (the reason for the fire starting made more sense, which is kind of sad) but the ending just completely botches it.
    Joukamachi no Dandelion was fine, a lot of likeable characters and an interesting setting made it a decent watch, though my favourite chapter from the manga didn't get adapted and they wasted a lot of time on Hikari's idol story.
    Non Non Biyori Repeat was immensely disappointing for me, the vast majority of the show felt either shallow (Komari episodes) or boring (Renge episodes). Episode 11 was an exception to that and was by far the best episode of the show as well as just one of the most enjoyable episodes this season in general, and Konomi is just miraculously good, but the rest felt mostly like a retread of things we already saw in the first season except without the emotional impact that made the first season really compelling.
    Okusama wa Seitokaichou was a cute romance but the ending was pretty mediocre and Karen needed more screentime...
    That said, Ui was really cute and that's basically all I needed from the show for it to be enjoyable.
    P.S.: at least the uncensored version aired alongside the censored TV version so no need to wait for BDs, suck on that Monmusu fans
    Kuusen Madoushi Kouhousei no Kyoukan was probably the biggest surprise of the season for me, I expected it to be completely garbage and it was actually pretty decent! Lecty, Rico, and even Misora all end up being pretty likeable, Kanata is actually pretty cool even though he gets annoying at the end, and Lloyd is secretly an amazing character. Too bad there were like literally two duels in the entire show and like eight training episodes of Lecty cosplaying and doing cute things, but at least it was enjoyable.

Fell behind on Suzakinishi and Miss Monochrome S2 but I expect I'll finish those. Need to watch Teekyuu 5 too but finishing that will take like 10 minutes so no big deal lol. Anyway, Suzakinishi and Miss Monochrome are just completely surreal, and Teekyuu is Teekyuu, so not much to say about those shows regardless. Also need to finish Working!!! but honestly after Yamada arc which was surprisingly really great I'm not looking forward to watching the romances at all.

Denpa Kyoushi, Ninja Slayer, and Million Doll did not survive the season due to various factors, mostly them being rather boring and Ninja Slayer in particular getting old at like episode 9 much less going on for two cours lol. Denpa Kyoushi probably has the highest chance of me picking it back up eventually I guess

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  34. IceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Further proof that god exists: Rewrite anime announced.

35. Nicehat

Started watching Hidan no Aria (just the first episode so far)

Aria is too cute, help

36. Fate Testarossa

Fate Testarossa Unbreakable Bond

PO Trainer Name:
    Fate Testarossa
    The first episode of Yuru Yuri San☆Hai! came out. I guess without spoiling anything, I'll just say Akari gets noticed again, while Sakurako and Himawari are still the best ship together.

A few days ago, I finished watching Sakamichi no Apollon/Kids on the Slope. Pretty good romance and drama with some really good jazz music.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  37. Nicehat

Studio Trigger and Mari Okada combine to make an anime that is literally about people sharing their pain with others

You better be hyped for this, because it is going to be glorious

Source

38. Nicehat

It's
    finally
    a
    reality

More Full Metal Panic anime announced, for the like three people here who are old enough to appreciate it

39. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

o my FMP hype.

Also One Punch Man's anime adaptation is the absolute shit, everything I hoped for and more.

40. Nicehat

Hibike! Euphonium second season AND movie announced!
    Source

Really hope this doesn't go the way of Chuu2koi but excited for now (and also slightly dreading the inevitable Kumiko/Shuuichi ship)