1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to create a linux server?

Discussion in 'Help' started by SmashKazu, Jan 14, 2014.

Moderators: E.T., Zoroark
  1. SmashKazu

SmashKazu New Member

Hey Guys,

The download section says "Linux (All Distributions) - The client download above includes the server binaries." but there are none.
    The wiki does not say anything about how to create a server on linux.

Does anyone knows where to find the serverfiles for linux?

2. Shadow Sneak

Shadow Sneak came in like

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
    All of the server files are found in your Pokemon Online folder which is the same for everyone regardless of what OS you're running. This is a tutorial you can use on hosting a server.

Edit: Hmm I see, tbh I don't know about Linux, but I thought when you said "where to find the serverfiles for linux" the files to host a server. If not, I'm no help to you, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. SmashKazu

SmashKazu New Member

Sorry, but then you don't know anything about linux, like it does not have a GUI or can run executable files (.exe) without a third party tool.

Explain me how I should configure my server, if I do not see anything because linux server do not have a GUI like windows have.
    Linux is mostly controlled with a Command Line, so there are no GUIs.

And the tutorial you mentioned is clearly for windows only, because there is nowhere linux mentioned.

4. Shadow Sneak

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
  5. SmashKazu

SmashKazu New Member

Well, this only works on Ubuntu but not on Debian.
    Looks like I have figure it out myself, since there is no clear guide on how to install it on a linux server, only on a linux pc.
    Because no serious linux server runs ubuntu. Ubuntu is made for Linux pc, not server.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  6. Shadow Sneak

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
  7. SmashKazu

SmashKazu New Member

Thanks. I will try it ^^

8. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

I'm pretty confused here. Ubuntu has a server distribution, which basically does the same thing as Debian. It has no GUI and uses little resources as standard. Can you provide a good reason why Ubuntu Server is not suitable for servers?

All our servers run Ubuntu Server.

Also: http://w3techs.com/blog/entry/debian_is_now_the_most_popular_linux_distribution_on_web_servers

Yes, Debian is more popular currently, but Ubuntu is still very popular on servers and is quickly catching up on Debian. I'd also like to add that Ubuntu is based on Debian. So that pretty much makes it look like you're saying Debian isn't suitable for servers.

Moderators: E.T., Zoroark