1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Available] Galvantula [XY OU] [Abandoned]

Discussion in 'OU Analyses' started by Suicune3000, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Suicune3000

Suicune3000 Water Lord

PO Trainer Name:
    [TR]Suicune3000
    Galvantula

With the gen shift to XY Game Freak brought in a fourth entry hazard in the form of Sticky Web. This hazard doesn't cause damage but instead causes any pokemon affected to take a -1 level in its speed stat. It's extremely useful when backed up by fast, powerful sweepers which tend not to boost Speed (and consequently are weak to Scarf users or very fast pokemon like Alakazam), such as Garchomp or Thundurus. Unfortunately it has very narrow distribution, mainly spider-themed pokemon, so if you want to try out a Sticky Web team there are few viable users.

Galvantula is arguably the best user. It's the fastest and hits the hardest, at least in its mediocre company. Without Sticky Web however Galvantula shouldn't be considered for an OU team, as there are far better options out there for special sweeping.

Pros:
    -Sticky Web access is the thing you want Galvantula for. Pretty self-explanatory.
    -Great speed stat (108) and a solid SP Attack (97). Nothing special but it hits frail pokemon, or those with a type disadvantage, for solid damage.
    -Reasonable offensive coverage, so it can hit hard after setting up its Web.
    -He gets a very accurate Thunder which can be used to hit the majority of Defog users hard, something no other Sticky Web user can do.

Cons
    -Next to no survivability. Most games you will only get Web up once. Shuckle is a better option if you think you need to set up repeatedly.
    -Doesn't match up well with several common leads (team preview makes this worse) and is vulnerable to Taunt, as Focus Sash is basically mandatory.
    -Pretty much the definition of suicide lead, and is mainly dead weight after setting up Sticky Web.
    -It can't do anything to stop other leads setting up, for example Stealth Rock Azelf.
    -Sticky Web activates the common Bisharp's Defiant so make sure you pack a good counter to it, or kill it before setting up.

Set: Sticky Web
    Galvantula (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Sticky Web
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Energy Ball/HP Ice/Thunder Wave

This is the only set you will ever see, certainly on an OU Galvantula. Last gen the LO set saw popularity in lower tiers but this is the standout in gen 6. Sticky Web is a given. If you aren't using Sticky Web, don't use Galvantula. Thunder gets a really good accuracy boost with Compoundeyes and Bug Buzz is a second good STAB that can hit Deoxys, Absol and a couple of other lead-style pokemon for SE damage. The fourth move is pure filler. Energy Ball can hit Gastrodon, and Unaware Quagsire which will probably wall your set-up sweepers. HP Ice hits lead Landorus, Gliscor, and dragons. Thunder Wave cripples fast pokemon like Genesect. It's all about what team support you want.

Other Options: Thunderbolt, Light Screen, Toxic, Hidden Power [Fire, Ground etc], Volt Switch, Giga Drain.
    Thunderbolt can be used if you're desperate for 100% accuracy, but 99 times out of 100 Thunder is the better option. Pick a different ability if you run Thunderbolt. Galvantula gets Light Screen but this is normally an inferior support option to others. Toxic is viable on pretty much any pokemon as a filler move. Other types of Hidden Power are also in with a shout... if you can remove a problematic pokemon you're sorted. Ground for Heatran Fire for Scizor/Genesect, etc. Volt Switch can be used to do damage and save Galvantula for a second (or subsequent) Sticky Web set up. Giga Drain is weaker than Energy Ball but still takes a huge chunk (if not a KO) on Gastrodon and Quagsire, while recovering HP at the same time.

Partners:
    Anything that can take advantage of Sticky Web, which are mostly powerful sweepers in the speed bracket between 100 and 115 (because they outspeed literally every pokemon in the game after it is hit by Sticky Web). Garchomp is a solid choice because it can Swords Dance, and beats Landorus naturally. Landorus itsself is good, with Gravity providing an interesting gimmick to beat flying types. Mega Charizard Y overcomes its speed issue. Slow DD users (Adamant Dragonite, Scrafty), or Bulky Volcarona are other good options. Generally pokemon with average to decent speed which struggle to sweep whole teams when faced with something slightly faster (Charizard Y), or very fast choiced pokemon like Choice Scarf Terrakion (Salamence, Dragonite etc).

Checks and Counters:
    The best counter in the game is Excadrill. It hits it hard with Earthquake and can remove webs with Rapid Spin, while taking nothing from Thunder and very little from Bug Buzz. The only moderately threatening move is HP Fire or Ground which can't 2HKO without extra power anyway.

Countering this pokemon as such about whether you want to stop Sticky Webs going up or simply kill Galvantula. Most Defog users are weak to Thunder so should be used with caution - Gliscor is a notable exception but is hit very hard by HP Ice. Espeon and Xatu can switch in and reflect hazards but have a poor matchup against Galvantula's STAB moves which are seen on every set.
    Lightningrod Zapdos (if ever released) will be a hard counter with Heat Wave and Defog.

In terms of true counters special walls stop Galvantula in its tracks. Blissey and Chansey are the obvious ones, but Snorlax, Heatran and Gastrodon do a good job too (although the latter two should steer clear of HP Ground and Energy Ball respectively). From there you can proceed to wear Galvantula down and spin or defog its webs later. Gliscor resists both STAB moves but is pulverised by HP Ice.

Final comments
    The thing that sets Galvantula apart from the other main Sticky Web user (Smeargle) is its ability to hit hard off the bat and defeat pokemon that can stop Sticky Web. Bug Buzz hits Espeon hard on the switch in, also hitting Mega Absol, while Thunder beats Xatu. Bug Buzz is also the 'safe' option when you suspect Deoxys leads may throw out a Magic Coat to steal your hazard move. Smeargle on the other hand can use Spore and Stealth Rock for further support options.

Galvantula is a one-use pokemon, as in you only use it for Sticky Web. It's not absolutely dreadful like Wigglytuff or whatever, but it's far from top class. Give it the appropriate Sticky Web abusers as backup and you will be rewarded. Finally, remember that Flying types or those with Levitate avoid Sticky Web, so make sure you aren't dead weight against pokemon like Thundurus and Charizard (among others).

Draft of a pretty basic analysis (first, so I went simple, I plan on doing more). Thoughts? Anything I can add or change?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2014
  2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

252 SpA Galvantula Thunder vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 398-470 (133.5 - 157.7%)

I wouldn't say HP Rock is necessary for Talonflame, lol.

Also, I reckon a mention of Volt Switch somewhere would be a good idea? Sure, it doesn't get as much mileage as it used to in gen 5, but it can Sticky Web and Volt Switch out, making repeat setting possible.

Lastly, watch your apostrophes (pros and cons don't require them), and it seems to be missing a Checks and Counters section. Is that coming later?

3. Suicune3000

Suicune3000 Water Lord

PO Trainer Name:
    [TR]Suicune3000
    Volt Switch is a good shout, never used it but it's more viable than half my options haha. I'll add checks and counters soon, I forgot it aha.

4. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

I disagree with using Volt Switch on Galvantula as Galvantula's main role on the team is to serve as a suicide lead and die hit a pokemon hard after that if it can. It has honestly no purpose if it uses Volt Switch. Giga Drain somewhat outclassed by Energy Ball since Energy Ball has more power, and regaining health isn't needed, what is needed is the increase in power. Might also want to slash Modest Nature with Timid nature since it gives Galvantula more power which can be important when dealing with Excadrill. And Hidden Power [Ground] can be helpful with steels that resist Thunder, such as Magnezone, as well as hitting Heatran harder.
    252+ SpA Galvantula Hidden Power Ground vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 168-198 (46.4 - 54.6%) -- 64.5% chance to 2HKO
    252 SpA Galvantula Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 204-244 (63.1 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Excadrill is easily the best Galvantula counter, since Galvantula can't even 2hko it unless it runs Modest Nature+the right Hidden Power, while Excadrill can spin away Sticky Web and KO it with Earthquake.

Overall, you might also want to write that what sets Galvantula apart from Smeargle is that it can actually dish out damage, while Smeargle can Spore/Dark Void the opponent, while also set up other forms of hazards, and also gets Magic Coat to bounce back Taunts.

5. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Simple solution to last moves issue: Thunder / Bug Buzz / Sticky Web / [Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Ground / Volt Switch] - mention all of them with detail in the set comments and then give less viable alternatives a mention in the OO.

Mention LO can be used if ballsy enough to forgo sash (obv in different terms) in OO.

Ubers pokes don't get mention in synergy section - they get seperate Ubers section, not here. Mention defiant Pokemon like Bisharp work well on Galv's teams. Your speed range is kinda off, Pokemon with decent speed like Dragonite - base 80 - can abuse Sweb, not just 100-115, so might want to expand that range.

It is like 230 am, will have more later

Ok, Hannah makes a valid point about Volt Switch, I wouldn't list it on the main set - maybe OO it or minimally mention it somewhere

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  6. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    I disagree with Volt Switch not being a viable option on Galvantula. OU is a massive tier with different threats, and Defog being ever so common, suicide hazard setters are a lot less appealing. Volt Switch gives you a way to pivot from those threats while dealing reasonable damage or scouting for moves/sets while keeping your Pokemon alive.

It may be true that your goal is to setup Sticky web and be done with it, but having to immediately die dealing eh-ish damage is just a waste of a Pokemon that can still has purpose on the team. May it be switch in fodder or a double switching it back in so you can pivot again.

A suicide lead whose main purpose is to setup hazards is an extreme waste this gen because Defoggers will almost always outlast them and take that turn to just waste the Pokemon completely. (Unlike last gen when maintaining a spin blocker was a lot easier and playing around it is actually an issue)

7. Fck Kevin Durant

Fck Kevin Durant New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    C05ta
    I think on the lead set, thief can also be slashed for the last spot. Tanking with sash, getting web, while stealing something possibly getting a free knockoff on something that cant be touched much by the dual stab (chansey, tran etc)

8. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    No, Theif isn't worth mention as there are more practical, optimal special attacks that Galvantula can utilize well enough.

The creator of this skeleton has a week until I reassign it to another QC or take it over myself (probably the later). If anyone is interested, VM me. If Suicune3000 comes back alive with in a week and wants it still, it's rightfully his.

9. Scumbag Chris

Scumbag Chris New Member

I really really hope you're kidding or I feel bad for you.

Galvantula's potential role is to serve as a suicide lead. Not main role. It's entirely team dependent and there isn't a single universal role for Galvantula. Volt switch is 100% viable if you're not running a hyper-offense team. If you are however, I agree with you that volt switch isn't the best option.
    On any other type of team I believe volt switch to be absolutely viable and even recommended depending on the set/goal of the team.

10. MewtwoHidden

MewtwoHidden My Hax Makes Me Famous

PO Trainer Name:
    MewtwoHidden
    The point I think Hannah is trying to make is that if the opponent has a Defogger then you need to keep Galvantula alive to set Sticky Web back up if/when they are removed.

11. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Refrain from any insulting or condescending remarks no matter how much you disagree with another user on the PO Forums, thanks and take this as an informal warning.

As for my own opinion, I think Volt switch is fine, but not necessarily a staple (I haven't used Galv in OU, so going to need some help from other QCs, m2h already gave his input but - epik save me here pls).

12. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    I would mention Volt Switch in the Set Comments as a way to scout opponents and maintain momentum, though it does limit coverage and setting up Sticky Web a second time will be hard to pull off with a Pokemon as frail as Galvantula.

Also, I wouldn't have Energy Ball as the primary slash for the final moveslot, as Quagsire and Gastrodon aren't as common as you seem to be implying in OU, so Hidden Power Ice should definitely be the first slash.

13. NidoTheKing

NidoTheKing Father of the Year 2014!

PO Trainer Name:
    NidoTheKing78
    Replace Energy Ball with Giga Drain. The 5 base power drop is honestly worth the life drain effect.

I've never seen Galvantula tech Thunder Wave because I assumed Sticky Web was normally enough. Not asking it to be taken out, but interest move to choose...

Really, I can't say anything else. Looks nice imo, except that in the final writeup, there is no Final comments part, so better safe than sorry and see what you can salvage from there and place where you can.

Glad I could chime in :]

14. Scumbag Chris

Scumbag Chris New Member

Energy ball got buffed. Now a 90 BP move.

15. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    This is now abandoned; if you want to take it over from the skeleton's current state, PM me ASAP. If not, I will take care of it and repost it in a similar state to how it currently is in the near future.

I urge future contributors to please avoid abandoning skeletons or forgetting about them; if this occurs, contact me if you foresee an inability to complete a skeleton as it'll make reassignment much easier.

16. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    @RedJoker25
    I personally don't think that Galvantula is that much of a viable pokemon in OU rn. The only thing it would ever do/is supposed to do is to lay Webs that's kinda it. It doesn't need a full analysis.
    @Spoovo The Pirate @prof.dragonite Opinions?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  17. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I'd say it's pretty much done anyway, and there's at least some form of a niche for it, so why not just run with what we've got?

I'd personally list the set as:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
    Trait: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid nature

- Sticky Web
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Giga Drain / Volt Switch / HP Ground

And everything else viable on the set mentioned in comments.

18. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Eh boi, a simple "yes. I wanna keep it." or "no, I don't" would have sufficed but OK den! :v

HP Ice is still worth the 4th Slot, Gliscor, Garchomp, and Lando-T are still around so that's that.

So I guess Galvantula stays xd