1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Blaziken

Discussion in 'Ubers Analyses' started by Raducan, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

General:
    This beast made history last generation being the first starter to ever be banned to Ubers. Thanks to Speed Boost, Blaziken had and still has the potential to destroy the majority of the tier, if played correctly. With the addition of Blazikenite in generation 6, Blaziken gets yet another boost to it's already great profile. With access to powerful dual STABs in High Jump Kick and Flare Blitz, which can further be boosted by Swords Dance, Blaziken is certainly one to prepare for.

Swords Dance:
    Blaziken (M) @ Blazikenite
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant / Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Low Kick / High Jump Kick
    - Flare Blitz
    - Swords Dance
    - Protect / Knock Off

This is Blaziken's most recognizable and most dangerous set. With Blazikenite, Blaziken can get more power and speed, and not have to be whittled down by Life Orb. Low Kick and Flare Blitz are Mega Blaziken's main attacks. With Flare Blitz's great base power and Low Kick's amazing potential in a tier full of heavy giants, they are very effective in helping Blaziken fulfill its role. Swords Dance is used to gain +2 attack, essentially doubling the effectiveness of the two STAB moves. Lastly, Protect is used to gain Speed Boosts, which allows Mega Blaziken to outspeed most of the unboosted-tier after one boost. The only common Pokemon who can take a +2 hit comfortably from either of Mega Blaziken's STABs is Giratina. Knock Off can be used as an alternative to Protect to deal serious damage to Giratina.

Other Options:
    Although the Swords Dance/Speed Boost set is the most common and threatening set, Blaziken has the ability to use Baton Pass. That means, with Speed Boost and/or Swords Dance, Blaziken can easily pass its stats to something else. Stone Edge can also act as an alternative for Flare Blitz in the Swords Dance set, to catch opponents off guard when they send in Ho-Oh. There is also the added bonus of no recoil damage from Flare Blitz. Although a bit irrelevant due to Blaziken's new Mega Evolution, the non-Mega Blaziken can be viable attached with a Life Orb with the same STAB moves listed in the Mega set.

Counters and Checks:
    Giratina is the only counter to Blaziken who can take all of its hits and phaze it out. Ho-Oh resists both its STABs, however, it still takes a hefty chunk from a boosted hit. Landorus-T is also an amazing check to Blaziken; coming in on any move and taking minimal damage thanks to Intimidate with the ability to KO back. Lugia and various defensive Arceus forms can potentially take a hit from Blaziken and phaze it out, but that can lead them to being killed off by other threats. With Speed Boost, Blaziken is very hard to revenge kill. Since you're most likely not going to beat it in the speed stat, priority can be crucial to finish off Blaziken. If Blaziken is weakened down enough, an Extreme Speed from an Arceus-Normal or Rayquaza may be able to finish it off. Lugia can also come in and phase out Blaziken or KO it with Aeroblast. Even though Kyogre does not counter Blaziken, the rain it brings hinders Blaziken's ability to sweep as it weakens the power of Flare Blitz.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  2. The Dude

The Dude The Mannis

Hey Rad great analysis! I was a bit baffled of no mention of Knock Off? It's certainly better than Shadow Claw imo and would think it could be slashed with Protect. Low Kick could be worth a mention in OO as in Ubers it's usually hitting at max power. Maybe mention that Kyogre can come in and start Rain then pivot to a Ghost / Fight resist to weaken it's Flare Blitz idk lol.

3. Sakuya Izayoi

Sakuya Izayoi love to hate

Definitely slash Knock Off over SD, since Blaziken requires the Protect to Mega Evolve and grab the speed boost.
    Knock Off is exceptionally useful in beating Giratina and doing a good chunk to Ho-Oh without relying on hjk's iffy accuracy.

Is Stone Edge viable just for Ho-Oh?
    252 Atk Mega Blaziken Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 556-656 (157.5 - 185.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

I don't really agree on the main set actually. Imo it should look like this:

Blaziken (M) @ Blazikenite
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk) / Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Low Kick
    - Flare Blitz
    - Swords Dance
    - Knock Off / Protect

Knock Off is such a fantastic move because it does nuclear damage to Giratina, but it's also a very powerful option to finish mons off without having to resort to using Flare Blitz. Low Kick is far better in Ubers because off all the fat mons roaming the tier and Hi Jump Kick's nasty side effect simply isn't worth it.

That's about it, the Baton Pass set might deserve a set on its own but it's not /that/ good so let's hear what other people have to say about that. If you're mentioning Stone Edge, I'd mention Rock Slide as well. Stone Edge has the upside of hitting Yveltal and Lugia harder, but it has the nasty missing chance. Rock Slide on the other hand nearly ensures you'll kill the fat turkey, while Flare Blitz still does a boatload to Yveltal. Scratch Shadow Claw because it's completely outclassed by Knock Off.

C&C looks ok.

Again idk if we're doing a team support thing but I guess I'll just add teammates. Groudon is still a fantastic one, temporarily boosting Flare Blitz to insane levels of power, as well as setting up SR, checking Ekiller and Ho-Oh or weakening Lugia and Giratina. Landorus-T does the same thing and has U-Turn to bring Blaziken in safely. If you're using LO Blaziken Mega Gengar is almost a must because it traps Lugia and defensive Arceus formed oh so well. Ekiller is a fantastic partner because stopping one of them takes such a toll on the defensive wall of the team that the other one will most likely sweep after that.

5. Raducan

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Totally forgot about Knock Off while writing this so thanks for helping with that. I've added Knock Off and Low Kick as alternatives because they're both viable options.

I'd still like to hear more about whether Baton Pass should be an actual set. So, please give opinions on that.

6. puregenius

puregenius :<

I think a lot of people are forgetting lo blaze is still viable, but I'd mention only run jolly in set comments

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  7. Raducan

Updated! Let me know if you guys want something added/fixed!

8. puregenius

puregenius :<

Ok probably have been a bit lazy with this because I wanted to use the seal.

Adamant is probably better as the first slash. Scarf ogre should be modest and gene can't do much back to you anyway. I guess out speeding scarfed zek at +1 is nice, but you outspeed it and gene at +2 anyway. The power boost is also nice letting you ohko gliscor.

C&C looks a bit paltry. Lando t is by far the most solid way to deal with blaze without having to resort to talonflame. It can tank any +1 (SD + intimidate) hit and ko with earthquake. Kyogre can't wall it, but it brings rain, which makes it substantially easier for things like fairyceus to check blaze. Without it's speed it is pretty easy to revenge, so pranksters thunder wave users like klefki and thundurus help against it.
    Also in the last sentence replace mega luc with Ray, as Luc is running bullet punch now for Xern.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. Raducan

Updated, let me know if you guys would me to change anything else.

10. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    Giratina is not a counter and it's a very lame check.

+2 252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Giratina: 344-406 (68.2 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

11. Ramiel

Ramiel On our backs. In our hearts.

PO Trainer Name:
    Gurren Lagann
    Let's get back to work.
    Hey Radu. A decent analysis here as far as I can see.
    One thing I'd note is that Shadow Claw is still listed in OC, where it shouldn't be mentioned at all due to the existence of Knock Off(65 base without item isn't too much different from 70 base power).
    If that's done, QC approved~

12. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

yeah get rid of the shadow claw mention

mention lugia in c&c because it can either phase or aeroblast it to pieces. also mention how even though kyogre isn't a counter, it doesn't like rain either

do that and qc approved!

13. Raducan

Done.

14. Ramiel

Ramiel On our backs. In our hearts.

PO Trainer Name:
    Gurren Lagann
    QC approved~