1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Grammar] Timburr

Discussion in 'LC Analyses' started by Weavile, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

General:
    Timburr proved itself in Gen V as an exceptional offensive presence. Its attacking movepool is vast and allows it to cover many bases allowing it to fit in almost any team with little trouble. That said, it has gained a new competitor in Meditite, making it a slightly more niche option than it was last gen. That however, should not detour you from considering Timburr as a threat or a powerful tool. Respectable natural bulk and attack, along with the aforementioned diverse attacking movepool make Timburr a difficult Pokémon to deal with without paying a price. The main attribute that gives Timburr a niche over Mienfoo and Meditite is its superior physical bulk. Its high HP stat and respectable Defense allow it to take on a number of physical threats that may threaten the other two Pokémon more than they can handle.

Bulky Attacker:
    Timburr (F) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 76 HP / 196 Atk / 236 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab / Stone Edge

This set makes use of Timburr's bulk and attacking prowess to take on a wide variety of threats with raw attacking power. The coverage provided by the four primary moves are sufficient to cover any Pokémon bar Croagunk. Drain Punch is your primary offensive option and an outstanding way to maintain your health and allow you to take more hits. Mach Punch helps to finish off weakened threats such as Shell Smashers, fast attackers or scarfers. Knock Off is as exceptional on Timburr as it is on any fighting type, the ability to strike down Ghost-types and cripple most other kinds of threats. The final move is a utility, Poison Jab is my personal pick, as it allows you to pick off Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubull, but there are many options that can potentially fill this slot. Stone Edge gives an option to hit Flying-types like Murkrow and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta on the switch. Other options are generally inferior as their bases are covered by other moves in the set.

Other Options:
    Timburr's best all-round offensive bases are covered in the attacker set, however there are a number of more niche options, including Fire, Ice and Thunder Punches. Focus Punch is a powerful option, but poses obvious risks. One of Timburr's classic sets is the Bulk Up set. That set is still effective but requires more specific support than the attacker set above. An alternative attacker set could make use of Iron Fist and Life Orb to provide a maximum attacking output, this is a viable option but it does leave Timburr lacking in its ability to take on faster threats that aren't worried about Mach Punch. Yet another option for an attacker set is a Guts/Flame Orb set, but it falls short to both the Iron Fist Life Orb set and the main set listed. It also has Taunt, but Timburr being slow as it is, and packing Guts, it is rarely useful. Hammer Arm can make a more powerful alternative to Drain Punch as it receives an Iron Fist boost, but it's often not worth the loss in longevity.

Checks and Counters:
    Timburr has no reliable checks, it has the ability to severely dent any Pokémon given the right move. Croagunk is the closest thing to an exception to this rule, while it's bulk is not particularly impressive, it resists all of Timburr's common moves and can chip away at Timburr with Drain Punch. Beyond that Misdreavus can come in on a predicted Fighting-type move their Eviolites to Knock Off, but even without it they do a fair job of resisting whatever Timburr can throw at them. Pokémon such as Abra, Brave Bird Murkrow and Zen Headbutt Meditite can all come in on the right move (less so in Abra's case) and OHKO or force Timburr out. Intimidate Snubull can come in on anything but Poison Jab and threaten an OHKO with Play Rough.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  2. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    I'd mention of how guts make it a great status absorber somewhere. Also add bulky Sairies like Snubbull as well as other Poison types like Koffing, to checks and counters. Faster Psychic and Flying types deserve a mention too as they can revenge kill, mons like Krow and Abra. Rest looks good :>

3. Chlorine Trifluoride

Chlorine Trifluoride You were saying?

PO Trainer Name:
    Sexy Cat
    Eviolite Meditite for counters plz. Should probably mention somewhere why to use it over mienfoo who has regenerator, nearly the same movepool, and higher offensive stats.

Hammer arm should be in OO for the greater power and being boosted by iron fist despite the longevity drain punch gives being lost. Otherwise not much to say~

4. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    Imo Taunt should be added as an option, also mention how it's not very effective because of Timburr's slowness. Power Up Punch should be mentioned too.

Consider adding Brave Bird Murkrow as a check:

236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Timburr: 26-32 (104 - 128%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I got nothing else to say, good analyze. Add all the stuff I and other users above me mentioned and you'll be getting my approval.

5. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Made the mentioned changes. Bump!

6. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I think a Status Orb set with Drain Punch, Mach Punch, Facade and Knock Off could be mentioned in OO. I've used it a few times with good success. Otherwise looks solid.

7. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Done.
    Approve imo

8. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    Just remove the mention of Swirlix and mention Intimidate Snubbull to C&C. Can switch into anything bar a PJab and KO with Play Rough.

Approved

9. Yagura

Yagura

PO Trainer Name:
    Yagura
    Approve (2)