1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest Categories for Hangman Event Games!

Discussion in 'Hangman' started by Samphire, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Strudels
  1. LH47

LH47 Lollipop

The thing with people and hangman is that names can have awkward spellings, be in different languages, etc.
    Also it's difficult to have definitive list of what makes a famous person. I guess for scientist you could possibly just pool from Nobel Prize winners?
    As for video games, would it be individual games (Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare/Metroid Fusion) or just franchise names (Call of Duty/Metroid)?

I also thought plays might be a bit obscure, so probably best to just forget about them.

2. Gotta catchem all

Gotta catchem all New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Ichor
    Video games (Nintendo only maybe?) seems fine as does famous landmarks and gems (A few of the gem names coincide with colours for example "lapis lazuli" .This needs to be taken care of , other than that the category seems nice). Imo only the series name needs to be on there for video games because individual game names seem long and unwieldy and can possibly be guessed due to the sheer amount of letters in them.

Plays seems a bit too obscure to be added imo.

Scientists (Possibly only ones with major contributions to their respective fields) seems like a nice category to look into too.

3. Samphire

Samphire Too much hard work!

I do not mind if categories have games in them that are shared in other categories, so long as the word fits into both categories. Don't be scared of repeats like that, if a word fits in that cat and makes sense, it can stay imo.

4. Zoroark

Zoroark Stay Firm Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Just franchise names, individual video games names would be a total pain in events. Because they would be too specific and as GCA said, some of them have ridiculously long and wide names etc etc. So yeah only franchise games, from any game developer (as long as the game is worldwide known ofc).

As for the scientists, maybe just adding those who made a significant contribution to science and today's technology. If possible.

5. Stray Dog

Stray Dog Scaring away your garbage collector

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Dog
    i like the scientist idea, however nobel prizes don't imply being famous
    just ask some ppl who are into the matter to create a list of famous scientist, e.g. MidwayMarshall, who is a scientist or a certain dogs who is interested in physics

the problem with shakespeare is that he is the ne plus ultra in terms of literature in english speaking countries, but barely a thing in many non-english countries, again for the sake of being an international community i would include important plays from other big languages as well; writing the author behind the name of the play can help to guess what language the name of the play probably is; nobody'll know every play, but then again this isn't trivia and guessing the unknown is half the fun

6. Samphire

Samphire Too much hard work!

Famous World Landmarks and Video Game Consoles have now been added!
    Keep suggesting guys!

7. Zoroark

Zoroark Stay Firm Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Time to revive this a little. I've been thinking on adding something like "Historical Inventions", this pretty much includes technological objects that had a big impact on history, such like the newspaper, printing press, the train, etcetera. Opinions are welcome.

Nightfall Alicorn and Mr. Perry like this.
  8. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    What about known Heroes and Villains if it's not added yet?

Zoroark likes this.
  9. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    What kind of Heroes/Villains are we talking about? Movies, Animated Movies, Series or what?

Nightfall Alicorn likes this.
  10. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    Thought it be all kinds. I mean each movie and game for example only has a few each. Probably most common/known ones. I mean someone hardly known might be too questionable.

Zoroark likes this.
  11. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I would personally lean into Movie ones, since they are more known than the other ones I mentioned in the question, movies are something most of us watch and are more familiar with people than animated movies or that kind of stuff.

12. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Video Game Series are now included!

13. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Opinions about the following suggestions previously posted?
    Heroes/Villains
    Historical Technologies

Mr. Perry and Nightfall Alicorn like this.
  14. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry wat

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    I'm ok with 'em, but what parameters would we use? :V

15. LH47

LH47 Lollipop

We still don't have food....

16. Strudels

Strudels ・◡・ Super Moderator Server Administrator Super Moderator Server Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Strudels/Ripper Roo
    (11:32:26) +Strudels: i tried to start a list of food
    (11:32:32) +Strudels: i got stuck at Spaghetti Bolognese

er eventually someday i think

Moderators: Strudels
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.