1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Deoxys-A

Discussion in 'Outdated Ubers Analyses' started by The Simpson Menace, Apr 1, 2014.

1. The Simpson Menace

The Simpson Menace nostalgia

Deoxys-A
    [​IMG]
    (First Analysis so any criticism would be appreciated and helpful)

Overview:
    ~Boasts the third highest physical attack stat in the tier [180 base stat]. (If you do count Mega Heracross in the Tier)
    ~Boasts the second highest special attack stat in the tier [180 base stat].
    ~150 base speed means it out speeds majority of the tier and doesn't really need a scarf.
    ~Great Movepool.
    ~Focus Sash is its best friend.
    ~Very low defenses.
    ~Poor HP Stat.
    ~Has access to Psycho Boost as well as Extreme Speed.
    ~Exposure to Entry Hazards or Status Conditions may render it less effective.

Sets:

Sash Lead

Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spd or 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Atk
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SpDef)
    -Stealth Rock / Spikes / Magic Coat
    -Extreme Speed / Spikes
    -Superpower
    -Psycho Boost

~Great Stealth Rock / Spikes user
    ~Psycho Boost Hits like a Truck with the Sp.Atk Investment
    ~Rash gives Psycho Boost more power
    ~Extreme Speed for priority in case its slower than its opponent
    ~Magic Coat may help cripple Smeargle

All-Out Sash Mixed Attacker

Deoxys-A @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpDef)
    - Superpower
    - Extreme Speed
    - Psycho Boost
    - Knock Off / Ice Beam

~Great Coverage set
    ~Stab Psycho Boost takes a chunk
    ~Extreme Speed is for priority and for last ditch damage once its brought down to sash
    ~Superpower annihilates common rock, normal, steel and dark types
    ~Risky to switch in.
    ~Knock off OHKO'es Aegislash-Blade form and is important for knocking off dangerous Choice items
    ~Naive nature outspeeds Choiced Scarf Modest Kyogre as well as Scarfed Adament Zekrom
    ~Ice beam is for Coverage

Other Options:
    -Choice Specs
    -Psyshock can be considered for Chansey
    -Grass Knot is an awesome move against sun and their defoggers (Arceus Water and Rock)
    -Low Kick can be considered if you don't mind the attack and defense drops from Superpower + majority of the Ubers tier weighs a lot

Good Partners:
    ~Bulky Yveltal could make a good offensive partner for safe switch ins and it creates a synergistic combo
    ~Voltturn support can help it come in crucial times and do some major damage.
    ~Fast taunt pokemon like Mega Mewtwo Y/X, Gengar and Darkrai make good partners for its Hazard Stacking set to stop defoggers

Checks and Counters:
    ~Shadow Sneak Aegislash KO'es
    ~Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out
    ~Giratina-O Can Will-O-Wisp him then Shadow Sneak him to death
    ~Priority in general can be used to bring him down. Other e.g's Rayquaza's Extreme Speed or Mega Scizor's Bullet Punch
    ~Scolipede and Cloyster Anti leads
    ~Deoxys-A cant really switch in to counter an attack unless you don't mind it being reduced to sash mainly because of its Low defenses and a poor Hp Stat.
    ~Darkrai usually carries Dark Void as well as a Sash

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Shadow Sneak

Shadow Sneak came in like

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
    In your overview you say that Deoxys-A has the second highest attack stat in the game, believe it or not Mega Heracross has an attack stat of 185, which is 5 points higher that Deoxys-A (also bp is for moves not stats e.e).

Hasty/Naive should never be slashed, the speed boost is really handy to outspeed for base 90 Scarfers and stuff. Also Stealth Rock definitely deserves more than a OO mention, I'd make it the first choice in front of Low Kick and Superpower. Slash Ice Beam over Rock Slide/Fire Punch as well. Look over your 5th and 8th set comments.

Mention Specs in OO, not everyone will go for the one-shot priority move since it is so easy to bluff a Sash, you can fire off an extremely strong Psycho Boost. Pretty much nothing can switch into it, bar a few special tanks such as Ho-oh, Lugia, and Chansey. (Psyshock could be an option to hit Chansey)

Aegislash doesn't really force it to switch out, as Knock Off is common and does a good chunk even after it loses its item.

I hope I didn't miss anything but my fellow QC members will probably cover the rest up e.e

3. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

Is this EV spread an April Fools joke? You need SAtk investment because Psycho Boost is your main move. Run either Rash (better than mild because of Genesect) and 252/252 Spd/SAtk or Naive with 76 Atk / 252 SAtk / 180 Spd to beat neutral scarf 90s. Any more speed creep is only useful for opposing Deoxys-A.

I also think that the main set (if you use sash) should really have SR (or Spikes if Groudon/Landorus-T/Dialga/Arceus for rocks), as I don't understand why you would use a Deoxys-A lead for attacking only. Normally you'd get a 1-1 trade at best. The all out attacking set is better with LO and paired with U-turn Scizor, but I don't like it in general. Do mention it somewhere though.

Thunder Wave and Toxic should be removed imo, you're here to kill things and set hazards, Xerneas and Kyogre die to Psycho+Espeed anyway (well Xerneas might live but it isn't setting up anyway).

Your team options should really take into account your whole team...realistically you're only using Deoxys-A on HO, so you're not using Defog or a cleric. Sun offense does use Defog but there is no space for Deoxys-A on it anyway. And why is bulky Yveltal a good partner?

Mention Scolipede and Cloyster in CC because those are the best antileads together with Kangaskhan. Yveltal is also a good counter but of course can't prevent two hazards. Skarmory doesn't really check well when it takes 65% from Psycho Boost. Giratina is also kinda bad as you might just give your opponent max hazards for free. Mention priority in general for checking Deoxys-A because that's what you do most of the time to deal with it.

PS: Mewtwo X and Mega Heracross both have higher base attack

4. The Simpson Menace

Shadow Sneak

-Sorted

-Done

-Done

Fixed

No

ok, done!

I really think that it should get a mention, its a viable option.

-done

-Mentioned

Thanks for the input. Hope it wasn't bad for a first analysis.

5. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Slash Life Orb as an item next to the All Out Attacker set. LO boosted Psycho Boost is insanely scary and Deo-A will basically net a kill every single time it comes in. OO is a bit empty so mention Grass Knot as a great move that is especially dangerous vs Sun and its most common Defoggers (Water- and Rockceus). Remove Twave, why paralyze things when you could just kill them. I'd just put Superpower over Low Kick on every slash and mention Low Kick in OO (say it's more reliable but does piss damage to Klefki). Mention Fire Punch as a neat way to get rid of Mega Scizor if your team struggles with that (as well as doing nice damage to Ferrothorn and the barely used Forretress).

I don't really like your team options because you'll usually find Deo A on HO teams so none of those suggestions make any sense really. When using the hazard stacking set, mention fast Taunt mons as partners so your hazards don't get Defog'd away e.g. Taunt Mewtwo X or Y / Gengar / Darkrai. The All out attacking set (especially if it has LO) wants VolTurn support so it can come in and wreak havoc multiple times.

Rephrase your sentence about Giratina in C&C. No Gira A runs Shadow Sneak, so say "Gira A can tank any attack and cripple Deo A with a burn, but is helpless when it starts stacking hazards". Sash Darkrai should really not be the first mon in C&C, move it all the way to the bottom. Sort the rest of your C&C from strong to weak too! I would give Mega Kangaskhan a separate bullet as a check, and then have "priority" and then talk about Mega Zor's Bullet Punch, Ray's Espeed, SS from Aegi/Gira-O.

6. The Simpson Menace

I'm deeply sorry for not updating this and getting over and done with. Thing is I was on a break from PO cause I kinda had to focus on school but I'll surely update it asap. Hope y'all understand.