1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Tournament Ideas Thread

Discussion in 'Tournament Applications' started by Weavile, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

Raducan's hosting Upper Tier Showdown
    someone make a lower tier showdown
    with lu, nu, and lc
    PLEASE GUYS

2. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    Someone make Fun Tier showdown imo
    (CC,ICC,BF6v6)

3. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    Well I think BF6v6 must not be included in fun tier showdown...

CC and ICC has less than 20% skills...
    Whereas BF6v6 has 60% to 80% skills...
    BF6v6 must be switched by Metronome I guess which has 5% skills...

4. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Someone can literally just c/p this into a thread and get it approved, just give me credit in some way by making me a co-host or something. I'd make the thread myself but I don't wanna lose the idea and one week limit, yada yada.

[​IMG]
    Introduction
    These days, it's rare to find a team without some kind of use in hazards, from Stealth Rocks to Toxic Spikes, from Spikes to Sticky Web. These four hazards have, in a way, decided how the metagame will go, from plaguing Pokemon such as Volcarona to breaking Sashes and Sturdy. How would the metagame look if these hazards were to be removed, however? That's right, this tournament will be banning these four moves, so get ready to play OU in a whole new way!

Format
    This tournament shall be played in the XY OU/ORAS OU tier (depending on when this tournament starts) while banning the four moves that can affect Pokemon as they switch in: Stealth Rock, Sticky Web, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes. Everything else will be in place and play like a standard OU tournament.

Rules
    -Tier: XY OU (Sleep, Species, Wifi, and Self-KO Clauses)
    -Best of 1 (Semifinals and finals are BO3)
    -Rounds last one week, with the exception of Round 1, which will last for two weeks

Current Sign-ups
    None so far! 32 spots remain!

5. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    What's your Name ? Tournament...

The 6 pokemon of the trainer must be only selected from the first 6 letter trainers name...

Since Actions Speak Louder Than Words...
    Here is demo...

My forum name is VirajVora

My first 6 letters are VirajV...

So my first 6 Pokemon must be...

Vanniluxe (Must be lead Pokemon...)
    Illumise
    Raichu
    Abomasnow
    Jellicent
    Vaporeon

Battle in BO1 XY OU...

Note - Let us assume, I applied this game on 1st January for Tournament Applications, then all forum players who joined this forum after 31st December will not be allowed to play... (To ensure no cheating is done...)

If a player has less than 6 letters, then the remaining letters are filled randomly by tournament owner and must be informed to all which will stay for whole game...
    E.G. - If Player Atli joins, then he will get 2 more letters Q and W as a random selected letters by forum owner and his new name "AtliQW" must be informed to all which will stay for whole game...

If a player has more than 2 letters of I/O/Q or has more than 1 letter of X/Y, then those repeated letters will be ignored and will be replaced by upcoming letters of name... If there are no upcoming letters, then the remaining letters are filled randomly by tournament owner... ( this detail can be changed and there are very few Pokemon starting from these letters... )
    E.G. If a player MiamiIsLife joins. then as letter I is used thrice, one I will be replaced by 7th letter i.e letter S...

How does this sound guyz ?

6. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    that may limit teambuilding and give some players a disadvantage, as the letters remain static throughout the tour and some users may just not have suitable names to succeed in the tour, while others will, which in theory increases the element of luck and decreases skill actually needed to win.

a repeat of what's the word wouldn't be too bad, as it gives players a lot more variety without giving any player a natural disadvantage

Raducan likes this.
  7. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

@Joeypals!!
    thats kinda similar to samphire's no frills tour

8. ThunderStruck0011

ThunderStruck0011 ;)

PO Trainer Name:
    megR
    It's a dumb idea but, I think it might actually be pullen off.
    BATTLE FACTORY TOURNAMENT
    If you played Emerald/Platinum/HeartGold you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. The original Battle Factory!

Introduction: Welcome to the Pokemon Online Battle Factory Tournament! All users in the tournament will get 6 Pokemon to choose from by the host but, the Pokemon won't be premade! Each Pokemon battler will choose 3 out of the 6, choose wisely because the winner of each battle will get to switch out his Pokemon with the loser trainers Pokemon if he/she/it chooses (Like normal Battle Factory) Good luck to all trainers that signup!
    Rules:
    No outside contact (you can't give tips to other members in the tournament or you will be automatically disqualified, you must stick with the movesets you choose (even the losers movsets!)

Clauses: Wifi, Self KO, Sleep (Dissalow Specs is optional)

X/Y Tier

I hope you like my weird interesting idea :)

9. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Here's another tour idea that can be pretty fun, once again please just make me a co-host or give me credit for the idea :D

[​IMG]

Introduction
    These days, you're commonly restricted to taking down the most common threats that shine in the OU tier. However, how would teams look if they were constricted in a rather... spellbinding way? With this tournament, we will be restricting teams to spell actual words that are 6 letters long and placing them in the ORAS OU tier. Let's see the creativity fly!

Format
    This tournament shall be run in the ORAS OU tier, with a BO1 battle system until the semi-finals and finals, which will be BO3. In addition, every round, you must have a team that spells a different 6 letter word. A list of 6-letter words can be found here: http://wordfinder.yourdictionary.com/letter-words/6. Besides that, all usual restrictions apply.

Rules
    -Tier: ORAS OU (Sleep, Species, Wifi, and Self-KO Clauses)
    -Best of 1 (semi-finals and finals are best of 3)
    -Round 1 will last one week, with all following rounds lasting two weeks

Sign-ups
    None so far! 32 spots remain!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  10. palkia62

palkia62 Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Palkia62
    Not too sure if this has been done or what but had an idea for a tour in which each pokemon in the team cannot share a type with another pokemon. The only problem I see with this tour would be with pokemon that change type when mega evolving (e.g. Pinsir, Gyarados, etc.) and those that can change their type with a move (e.g. Meloetta).

11. Thugmon

Thugmon Thugmon

PO Trainer Name:
    Thugmon
    Invert Ubers Toruney

BO1 until finals which is BO3
    Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Wi-Fi Battle, Self-KO Clause, Invert Battle
    Signups are 1 week
    ORAS Ubers with Inverted in affect.

12. inigomontoya

inigomontoya Slightly Less Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    This may have been done before, but...

Standard OU stuff, but after each round, ban the most used Pokemon, Item, and Move from that round. Ability is another option. Heck, do it in a tier other than OU, see if I care. (Sky Battle, anyone?)

13. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    A simple OU tour without wifi clause...
    BO3 battles in all rounds...

14. HBC

HBC Health, Beauty and Cosmetics!

PO Trainer Name:
    [TR]HBC
    I have two tour ideas: how about a tournament where each team consists in one Pokemon from each tier, as in, one for Ubers, other from OU, UU, LU, NU and LC? The other one would be a tournament where anything goes, no holds barred, everything that is banned from competitive tiers isn't banned here. So things like Mega Rayquaza or Moody Bidoof would be allowed here.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  15. E.T.

E.T. SSSSSSSSSSSSS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    I have a couple of ideas for Ubers tournaments.

I think most of us can agree that Geo Xern and Primal Groudon, and E-Killer are very centralizing to team building in ORAS Ubers. What if we had a standard Ubers tour where Geomancy and Red Orb are definitely banned (and possibly standard E-Killer if that is desirable)? I think it would be interesting to see what team building would be like if these threats didn't have to be considered.

On the other end of the spectrum, a few people were a little upset that Mega Ray was quick banned before it could be tested in ORAS Ubers. Why not have a tournament where it is allowed (or rather where everyone has one on their team)? This tour could at least give people a good chance to try out Mega Ray in the ORAS tier since I'm assuming that most teams one might find on the ORAS ladder probably aren't standard Ubers teams with Mega Ray. It can also be a demonstration of how broken Mega Ray would be if it was allowed, and give doubters the chance to try (futilely imo) to prove that it isn't broken enough to be banned.

Do either of these ideas sound interesting?

NAVIDAD PIRATE likes this.
  16. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    Taunted Tournament...

No "Other" category moves...
    Just attack...

Black Ghost likes this.
  17. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    A BO3/BO5 OU tournament where you can't repeat same Pokemon in any battle...
    If I played with Blissey in game 1 of best of 5 series, I can't choose that Pokemon again in any more of battles against that opponent again...
    Means we must have to play 18/30 Pokemon's against 1 opponent... (18 for BO3 and 30 for BO5...)

Don't worry OU alone holds 52 different Pokemon...

18. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

Dr. Fomantis Toboggan man in the couch

How bout another ghosting tournament? those were cool

Insane Soul likes this.
  19. inigomontoya

inigomontoya Slightly Less Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    Wait, Hackmons is a thing? We can do many magical things with that, now can't we...

Break a Pokemon ORAS edition:
    Simple premise. OU Pokemon with ONE (Balanced) Hackmons enabled change. If I change my ability, I need to run 4 legit moves. If I change a move, I need a legit ability. -ate fully banned UNLESS it is a legit ability (Sylveon can run Pixilate) or obtained by Mega-Evolving (Hi Gardyvoir). Megas may start in their Mega form, but that counts as their one change (they get to hold an item). Impostor banned except on Ditto because nothing can deal with Chansey at this point. The question is: Do I give Serperior access to Draco Meteor, or give Victini Contrary? Do I give Whimsicott Spore or give Breloom Prankster? I might host this if I find the time at some point, but someone with more time can do it for me.

To the Pain Tour:
    Inverted 1v1 Gen 1 Hackmons. because we can (I think). Hell, lets steal @VirajVora's no "other" moves while we are at it. More fun that way. straight beat-em-up.

Mini-Hackmons Tour:
    Balanced Hackmons. With LC rules. Also might host this because it would be cute as hell.

Tag-Team Hackmons Tour:
    3/5/7 man teams playing BH, Hackmons, and any number of All Gens Hackmons things to suit the # of people. 7 is ideal to get one of each gen and the 2 Gen 6 modes, but 3 /5 seems more reasonable.

VirajVora likes this.
  20. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    Gen 1 inverted is impossible to do, because inverted doesn't exist gen 1.

21. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Yeah it does

willdbeast, E.T. and Disaster Area like this.
  22. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    nvm then, last time i tried to do inverted gen 1 doesn't work so yeah

23. topah

topah Active Member

Level Up! - A tournament!
    pokemon can only use level up moves in it (no move/tm or hm/event/ tutor moves)
    pretty simple but I think it'd be fun

Black Ghost likes this.
  24. ASH_CHAMPION

ASH_CHAMPION A very useless person~

PO Trainer Name:
    Meh
    A team tournament where the amount of mons you win by contributes to an overall score and the team with more points wins.
    e.g:
    A vs B - A wins 6-0
    C vs D - D wins 3-0
    E vs F - F wins 2-0
    Hence team ACE wins because the score is 6-5

Dr. Fomantis Toboggan likes this.
  25. Black Ghost

Black Ghost Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Ness
    No scopes only : 100% accuracy moves banned and Hone Claws/No Guard/Compound Eyes/Zoom Lens are banned.
    Only MLG players allowed.

26. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    No mega
    Stones are not allowed, this should be interesting

27. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Hi this idea is blatantly stolen from a thread on smogon, but a sideboard tour would be cool.

Basically each round is a Bo3, with the same team for each match but on the side you have like 2 pokemon that can optionally be subbed into your team.

So effectively it's a Bo3 with the same 6 pokemon + 2 reserves or something

The Dude likes this.
  28. The Dude

The Dude The Mannis

I hosted a Ubers version of this tour a while back (stole it from smogon too since it was fun), would be cool to bring it back.

Ortheore likes this.
  29. Xenolize

Xenolize Revengeance

PO Trainer Name:
    Omega Hawk
    Credit to this idea from this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-return-of-the-king-tournament-signups.3535157/

And this is copied and pasted from the post:

"In Pokemon, you have to defeat all of your opponent's pokemon to win the match. Chess is different on this matter (and not only) because you don't need to take all your opponent's pieces, but only focus on the king.

In this tournament, you must take the opponent's king to win, you don't need to beat every mons.

Rules:

- Everyone makes a team of six pokemon and choose one pokemon as king. All games will be played in ORAS OU, therefore following all standard clauses.

- Everyone PM [user] his king. Everyones king pokemon will be sent to their respective opponents. Since I intend to participate myself, my opponent must send his king to [user], I'll do the same.

- You can change your team between rounds, I only need to know your king

- You can change your king between rounds, but you must notify me of the change before the next round starts, otherwise, I will assume you're keeping your current king.

- Save logs.

- Single elimination, Bo1 format."

tldr: a chess styled pokemon tournament where one chooses a king in their team, and the opponent tries to take it

Another idea is standard ORAS OU, but only using 5 pokemon instead of 6

Joeypals!! likes this.
  30. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    This feels so obvious that someone must have posted it somewhere before so credit to them if anyone finds it but...
    Medium Cup: all pokemon must be lv50 and must be the middle stage of 3 stage evolutions or the first of 2 stage evolutions with any pokemon currently in LU or higher being banned due to things like chansey being too bulky to handle with 400ish base stat pokemon. Sleep, wifi, species, endless battle clauses etc with OHKO moves, evasion and moody banned and max 1 baton pass per team for hopefully obvious reasons. (Maybe ban eviolite since a variation in items would make it more interesting)

31. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

yeah that format was tried as a meta last gen and iirc eviolite had to be banned because everything was just too fat. That said, I didn't play so idk *shrugs*

willdbeast likes this.
  32. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Middle (Midget) Cup last gen did have eviolite banned, alongside Combusken. The metagame was extremely homogenous with eviolite (after banning most of the big walls - chansey, clops, p2), and just an annoying game of revenge killing without it.

33. DoctorS

DoctorS Member

Theres another idea for a tour.We can name it the TWO SIDED MONS TOUR. WE CAN KEEP IT IN ORAS OU FORMAT. The mons chosen in this tour would have to be dual types of opposite matchups. For egs: if one type of the pokemon is x the other type for the same pokemon is either super effective or superweak to the first type (I.e x) so I can have a pokemon like volcanion in my team for example which is fire-water type even types where there is no effect from one type like ground-flying are allowed. Give it a try might be fun.
    Thanks

Im actully seeing this post after your edit rn so yeah we can even give this one a try .please reconsider this idea again.might be fun. Thanks! Weavile

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  34. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Little Cup Under Used tournament

The tier exist on PS and I would like to play it here as well

lc is kinda dead here so the usage stats wont really help in deciding what is UU, we could use the viability rankings instead.
    anything below B- is UU for example

Joeypals!! likes this.
  35. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

Dr. Fomantis Toboggan man in the couch

These ideas blow, we need @ASH_CHAMPION to host the ghosting tour 2 and we need the POOlympics.

Kite likes this.
  36. Kland

Kland One true god

Idea pokemon chess.

Pokemo will be broken into tiers of king, queen, bishop, knight and rook. Any pokemon that has no tiers will be a pawn.

each person will start with x points and can buy a team, everytimg a pokemon faints you lose x points, every time u capture(kill) somethung u get x points
    rounds will be bo3.

you can only have 1 king and queen, per team and 2 bishops ,knights and rooks. kings will generally be ubers, queens will consist of most megas and strong ou mons, rooks will generally be walls, bishops will be sweepers and knights utlity. Pawns are everything else. You do not have to play a king or any peice you want, you can play 2 of the same bishop ie i'm planning to put bisharp as a bishop u can run 2 of those but only 2

If your king faints any time you lose the entire match. the war is over. Kings being concided will be free and not count towards team points, queens will be the most expesnvies followed by rooks knights and bishops, pawns will be nearly free.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    Kite, Oh So Penspin and Casparov like this.
  37. Brycen-Man

Brycen-Man Member

Ban list tour

Instead of picking mons from the tiers, You make teams of the banlists. Ou banlist is 2 small, so It'll start with the UU banlist, then LU, and NU. Depending on how many ppl sign up, will determine the tiers played whether it's 1 of each banlist or 2.