1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Final] Blissey

Discussion in 'Ubers Analyses' started by ZoroDark, Apr 19, 2014.

1. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

[​IMG]

Overview:
    Even though she might look harmless at first, Blissey has always been a top tier pokémon in every tier she is available in. A gargantuan base 255 HP Stat coupled with a fantastic base 135 Special Defense stat means Blissey is near impenetrable on the Special side. A Special Attack stat of 75 is definitely workable, especially with a wide array of move choices. Natural Cure is a great ability on every defensively oriented Pokémon as well. However, it’s not all moonlight and roses for the Happiness Pokémon. A minuscule base 10 Defense stat leaves Blissey exposed to strong Physical hits. For this reason one might think Chansey is a better choice, but she’s completely helpless against the common Mega Gengar. Unlike her sibling, Blissey has some tricks on her sleeve to get past Mega Gengar. All in all, Blissey can offer a lot to any team if you play to her strengths.

Standard:
    Blissey (F) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - Seismic Toss
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Heal Bell / Wish

This moveset couples the ability to beat a variety of threat with options to aid her team. Toxic is Blissey’s main way of doing damage by putting a timer on all kinds of threats. Seismic Toss deals consistent damage and makes sure Blissey doesn’t completely become a sitting duck in case it gets Taunted. Softboiled is the recovery move of choice and ensures Blissey can stay healthy at all times. The last move is all about supporting the team. Heal Bell cures her team of status, whereas Wish will usually restore an ally to full health thanks to Blissey’s huge HP stat. If one decides to run Wish, it’s also a possibility to run Protect in the third move slot, which allows Blissey to rack up Toxic damage as well as scout the opponent’s move. Wish + Soft-Boiled gives you more flexibility and is also less predictable. Shed Shell is hugely important in the item slot, ensuring that Blissey won’t be trapped by Mega Gengar or the less common Gothitelle. Because of Blissey’s huge HP stat, it’s more helpful to split the EVs in her defenses.

Other Options:

- Blissey can still use Leftovers as an item, but that requires her to use Flamethrower as an attacking move in place of Seismic Toss. This way Blissey still beats Mega Gengar by virtue of 5HKO’ing Mega Gengar while it cannot KO back in that span. It also does a great deal of damage on Ferrothorn, Scizor and consorts. Gothitelle will now beat Blissey, however.
    - Calm Mind Blissey beats any Calm Mind Arceus in a Calm Mind war but it’s generally inferior to the main set.
    - Thunder Wave is more annoying than Toxic to some offensive Pokémon, but Toxic is better on the whole.
    - Blissey learns Stealth Rocks, but it’s hard to fit on any set.
    - Its special move pool is huge, including moves such as Thunder or Ice Beam, but sticking to Seismic Toss or Flamethrower is advised.

Checks and Counters

- Physical attackers take advantage of Blissey’s pitiful Defense stat. Especially Pokémon with a set-up move are dangerous: Extremekiller Arceus, Mega Blaziken, Groudon, Mewtwo X. Be careful of Mewtwo who targets Blissey’s Achilles heel with Psystrike as well.
    - Since Toxic is Blissey’s main way of dealing with threats, Pokémon who don’t care about Toxic work as checks or counters. Examples include Pokémon with RestTalk, Gliscor, various Arceus-types with Refresh and generally Poison- and Steel-types.
    - Pokémon who form Substitutes of >100 HP form a big threat to Blissey. The most notable example is Substitute Geomancy Xerneas who will beat Blissey with that moveset.
    - Taunt severely hinders Blissey and prevents her from performing her main tasks.
    - Residual damage is really annoying to Blissey’s main set, especially because of the lack of Leftovers.

Team options:

- Even with Shed Shell, Blissey still needs a team mate who can deal with Mega Gengar in the back. Designated trappers such as Mega Scizor and Tyranitar work splendidly.
    - Defensive Pokémon to take care of Blissey’s checks and counters evidently make good team mates. Examples: Landorus-T, Giratina, Aegislash, Defog Fairy/Ghost/Rock Arceus …

Overview:
    -omj it’s so cute
    - insane HP stat coupled with a great SpDef stat makes Special Attackers cry since 1999
    -workable spatk stat compared to chansey
    -piss poor def stat leaves it exposed to strong physical attackers
    -huge movepool
    -awesome ability
    -unlike chansey it can run shed shell so it isn't mercilessly trapped by mega gengar or gothitelle

Standard:
    Blissey (F) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 8 HP / 248 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - Seismic Toss
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Heal Bell / Wish

- Toxic puts a timer on all kinds of threats
    - Seismic Toss is nice consistent damage and makes sure Blissey isn’t completely helpless when Taunted
    - Soft-Boiled keeps Blissey healthy at all times
    - The fourth slot is all about supporting your team. Heal Bell gets rid of annoying poison and burns, while a huge Wish coming from Blissey might fully restore an ally’s health.
    - Protect can be run over Soft-Boiled when you’re running wish, stalling toxic damage as well as scouting. Wish + Soft-Boiled gives you a ton of flexiibility and is unlike wish + protect not as predictable.
    - Shed shell ensures you aren’t trapped by gengar or gothitelle
    - it already has huge HP so you're better off dumping the EVs into its defenses. Bold is an option, but bliss usually shouldn't be saying in against physical attackers anyway

OO:
    - Blissey can use Leftovers as well, but you should use Flamethrower over Seismic Toss then. It’s a 5HKO on Gengar, who can’t KO you back in that span. It also does decent damage against incoming Ferrothorn and Scizor because of a respectable 75 SpAtk. Psyshock Gothitelle now takes your soul though
    - CM Blissey consistently beats CM Arceus in a CM war but it’s really bad outside of that small niche.
    - Thunder Wave is more annoying than Toxic to offensive mons, but Toxic is better on the whole.
    - Blissey learns SR but gl trying to fit it on this set somewhere
    - Its special movepool is huge with moves such as Ice Beam and Thunder, but you’re usually better off with just Seismic Toss

C&C:
    - Physical attackers: Ho-Oh, Zekrom, especially set up sweepers: Ekiller, Groudon, Mewtwo X, Blaziken Psystrike puts Mewtwo (Y) here too,
    - Pokemon who don’t care about Toxic: Rest mons (Kyogre, Giratina), Gliscor, Scizor, Ferrothorn
    - 101 HP Sub mons: mainly Sub Xerneas
    - Taunt is very annoying coming from mons such as Darkrai or Yveltal
    - Residual damage: hazards/status/sand are all v annoying because no lefties

Team options:
    - A trapper to get rid of Mega Gengar is much appreciated: Mega Scizor is probably the best bet, but Ttar works too.
    - Defensive mons that take care of its C&C’s such as Lando-T, Giratina, Defog Fairyceus/Rockceus/Ghostceus, Aegislash

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    Rizkybest9 likes this.
  2. puregenius

puregenius :<

good analysis
    one thing id change is aroma to heal bell, as wish is not compatible with aroma, but it is with wish
    this is jic the reader feels the need to run wish AND cleric move on the same set

but yeh gj, 1/3
    [​IMG]

3. ZoroDark

I still stand by the fact that Aromatherapy is cooler than Heal Bell, but I changed it (didn't know about the incompatibility).

4. Shadow Sneak

Shadow Sneak came in like

PO Trainer Name:
    Shadow Sneak
    I've read over it, and looks solid. Approved 2/3

5. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I'm no Ubers player, but:
    Unless it is carrying Sub/Gemocracy/Moonblast/Psyshock, which isn't optimal coverage at all, then Sub Xerneas still fails to break Blissey and will eventually get worn down by Sub+lack of leftovers, right? I understand how 101 HP subs typically irk Seismic Tossers, but this is a case where sub won't be saving Xerneas, unless I'm incorrect (sorry, if I am).

6. puregenius

Sub gives xern room to set up multiple geomancies against bliss, which is enough power to 2hko it

7. ZoroDark

Yeah Substitute Xerneas actually beats Blissey :(
    Any last remarks?

8. puregenius

Maybe it's worth mentioning just why bliss is better than chans (gar) for new players thinking Chansey is superior?

9. ZoroDark

Added it explicitly to the intro

10. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Lefties is still viable with pursuit support IF you run flamethrower, which is perfectly viable in its own right as it deters Gengar from switching in too often, which can be a problem even with shed shell.

11. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

Hi, I approve. Go ahead and start the write-up.

ZoroDark likes this.
  12. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I'd slash Protect with Soft Boiled, since that lets you guarantee Wish will activate while also giving you added stalling potential. Otherwise looks good, well done.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  13. ZoroDark

This is ready for GP now

14. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

15. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

Overview

-Blissey has always been a top tier Pokémon [I love how you added the accented e but didn't capitalize the P lol :) ]

Standard

-The last move is all about supporting the team; heal Bell cures her team of status, whereas Wish will usually restore an ally to full health thanks to Blissey’s huge HP stat. [Not really needed but I hate how perfect your grammar is and I needed something to fix. Plus, semi-colons are fun]
    -Wish + Softboiled gives you more flexibility and is also less predictable [hah i got u]

Other Options

-This way, [comma] Blissey still beats Mega Gengar by virtue of 5HKO’ing Mega Gengar while it cannot KO back in that span.
    -Blissey learns Stealth Rocks, but it’s hard to fit on any set.

i hate how your grammar is way better than mine

ZoroDark likes this.
  16. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator