1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Grammar] Kyurem

Discussion in 'LU Analyses' started by Dr. Doom, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

[​IMG]
    General

Meet Kyurem, on paper the strongest Pokémon in LU. It has the highest base stat total of all Pokémon in the tier, sitting at an Ubers worthy 660. And it's not like those stats are badly distributed: 130/130 attacking stats make it an offensive monster that can 2HKO pretty much anything while 125/90/90 defences would be considered good for a wall. And Kyurem has reliable recovery in Roost, further improving its survival capabilities.

Kyurem does have its faults however. While none of its stats are bad, its speed is pretty average, sitting at 95. Many of its sets have a bad case of 4 moveslot syndrome, and its Ice typing gives it unwelcome weaknesses to Fighting, Steel and Rock moves. Its weakness to all forms of entry hazards also means that Rapid Spin and/or Defog support is mandatory when using Kyurem. Despite its flaws, you'd be a fool not to consider using Kyurem.

Roost + 3 Attacks

Kyurem @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk) / Modest Nature (+SAtk -Atk)
    EV: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    IV: 29 HP
    Draco Meteor
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power / Focus Blast
    Roost

Showcasing Kyurem's power and bulk, this set is a great special wallbreaker. Draco Meteor is the powerful STAB, and 2HKOs pretty much anything not resisting it. Ice Beam is the reliable STAB, and wrecks bulky Ground types like Hippowdon. The 3rd slot is dedicated to coverage: Earth Power hurts Tentacruel and Magneton; Focus Blast hits Registeel harder. Roost heals Life Orb recoil and possible hazard damage.

EVs maximise speed and power. Choose nature depending on whether you'd prefer more speed or more power. 29 HP IVs lessen Life Orb recoil.

SubRoost

Kyurem @ Leftovers
    Modest Nature (+SAtk -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)
    EV: 56 HP / 236 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Substitute
    Roost
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power

Kyurem tends to draw out bulky Water types like Slowking and Jellicent. There's pretty much nothing they can do to this set beyond phaze. Substitute enables Kyurem to avoid status and act as a barrier against revenge killers. Roost keeps Kyurem healthy, allowing it to stall out opponents that lack phazing move. Ice Beam gets STAB and does good damage to anything not resisting it that isn't a special wall. Earth Power gets great neutral coverage with either Ice Beam. EVs give enough HP to make 4 101 HP Substitutes with enough speed to outrun base 90s. The rest is placed in special attack for more power. Choose nature depending on whether you prefer power or speed.

Choice

Kyurem @ Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
    Modest Nature (+SAtk -Atk) / Timid Nature (+Spd -Atk)
    EV: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Draco Meteor
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power
    Focus Blast

Kyurem can choose to either augment its already magnificent power or patch up its average speed with this set. Draco Meteor is your powerful STAB, and 2HKOs pretty much anything not resisting it. Ice Beam is the reliable STAB. Earth Power and Focus Blast get coverage on the Steel types that resist Kyurem's STABs. Dragon Pulse could be used over Draco Meteor, but its disappointing damage output makes the latter the superior choice. EVs maximise speed and power. Choose which nature depending on which Choice item you're running.

Mixed Attacker

Kyurem @ Life Orb
    Mild Nature (+SAtk -Def) / Hasty Nature (+Spd -Def)
    EV: 40 Atk / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    IV: 29 HP
    Draco Meteor
    Outrage
    Ice Beam
    Earth Power / Focus Blast

Designed to score surprise KOs on those special walls that think they can stop you. Draco Meteor is your powerful special STAB. Outrage is this set's trump card, 2HKOing Slowking and specially defensive Tentacruel. Ice Beam serves as the reliable STAB, since Draco Meteor and Outrage both have drawbacks. The last slot gets some extra coverage on the Steel types that resist Kyurem's STABs.
    EVs give enough speed to outrun base 90s. Max special attack to hit as hard as possible on that side, with the remainder placed in Attack to juice up Outrage.
    IVs reduce Life Orb recoil.

Other Options

Hidden Power Fire can be used to 2HKO Assault Vest Escavalier, but it has little utility beyond that. If backed up by Hail, Blizzard can be used instead of Ice Beam. It is much riskier outside Hail though. A Substitute + 3 Attacks set is possible, but with a Stealth Rock weakness it tends to get worn down very quickly. A set with Glaciate can surprise some of Kyurem's faster switch ins, but has little value elsewhere.

Checks and Counters

Nope. The lord of ice has no true counters in LU. However, it has several good checks.
    Assault Vest Escavalier can beat it most of the time, but a Choice Specs Focus Blast can 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Bronzong can handle offensive sets well enough, but SubRoost Kyurem can stall out Gyro Ball's PP. Slowking can wall the Life Orb and SubRoost set while phazing Kyurem out with Dragon Tail. However a Choice Specs Draco Meteor will 2HKO after Stealth Rock, and the mixed set can beat it regardless. Durant, Virizion and Cobalion outrun and OHKO with Iron Head and Close Combat respectively, but none can safely switch in to the Life Orb and Choice Specs set.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  2. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

The only real problem I have is this line:

All that's stopping me from agreeing is that the set has absolutely no setup moves, lol. It can stall them out with Sub and Roost, but can't really do much either, and both of them have recovery in Slack Off and Recover, respectively. Perhaps a re-wording somewhere?

3. Dr. Doom

Fixed

4. Dreams

Dreams Active Member

• Trading the freedom of the Life Orb set for no recoil and even more power, this set can 2HKO pretty much anything in UU-Change to LU

5. Dr. Doom

6. Dr. Doom

Bump. Wow, tough crowd... would the QC people mind having a look please?

7. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    I think you should Slash Scarf with Specs or give it a better mention in OO, since it is very viable, also for Specs mention a +Speed nature since 95 is quite a nice Speed tier for LU.

Also I wouldn't really bother Slashing HP Fire, I'd say its only worth OO or set comments since its a horrible move to be locked in to on Choice sets, and generally the coverage isn't as useful as EP or FB, and Escavalier can't take repeated hits.

On Sub Roost Ice Beam is always the preferred option for the great coverage it has with Earth Power, and its higher bp. Mention Dragon Pulse and Focus Blast in set comments.

Apart from that looks very good, after you make those changes I'll give it another look and likely give you an approval

8. Dr. Doom

Changed

9. Afro Smash

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    finally slash d pulse with draco on 3 attacks roost set or mention it in Set comments, and mention D Pulse in set comments on Choiced sets and this is approved

qc 1/3

10. Dr. Doom

But it already has a reliable STAB in Ice Beam. I'll mention it in set commnets.

11. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Slowking learns Dragon Tail, not Roar, so the Subroost set beats it due to Pressure stall I imagine.

Apart from that, this is
    [​IMG]

12. Dr. Doom

2 QCs. Can I write it up in full now?

13. Afro Smash

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Might as well, we're the only qc who actually matter :]

and you can add any other qc concerns in as you're writing it if they decide to pop up

14. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Two is all you need I believe.

15. Dr. Doom

OK Written in full awaiting GP

16. Afro Smash

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    With Florges gone the only Fairies that are somewhat common are Granbull which is destroyed by Ice Beam and Aromatisse, which if running its more common Phys Def spread is also nuked by Ice Beam, and can tank Iron Heads, so it really doesn't have much use anymore