1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Deoxys-S [QC: 2/3]

Discussion in 'OU Analyses' started by trc, May 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trc

trc Active Member

General
    • Fastest Pokemon in the game.
    • Outspeeds even Pokemon at +1 and Choice Scarf users including Mega Gyarados, Mega Charizard X, and Genesect.
    • Makes an excellent revenge killer and late-game sweeper with usable offenses.
    • Gigantic movepool allow it to carry out a multitude of roles.
    • Spikes and Stealth Rock allow it to setup hazards quickly, making it an effective lead for HO.
    • Can also be a suicide rain setter or a a fast Dual Screen setter.
    • Very frail.
    • Atk / SpA aren't fantastic.
    • Vulnerable to most priority moves.
    Offensive LO

Deoxys-S @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Psycho Boost
    - Low Kick
    - Ice Beam
    - Knock Off / Stealth Rock / Fire Punch

• This set is primarily a revenge killer but is also a great late-game cleaner.
    • Psycho Boost is Deoxys-S's preferred STAB move due to its high immediate power.
    • Low Kick hits Steel-types and does a truckload to Tyranitar.
    • Superpower can also be used here to revenge Greninja and weakened Excadrill.
    • Ice Beam allows Deoxys-S to revenge Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Dragonite, which it outspeeds even at +1.
    • Knock Off cripples Chansey switch-ins and also is nice for Aegislash.
    • Fire Punch OHKOes Genesect; Deoxys-S easily outspeeds even Choice Scarf Genesect.
    • Stealth Rock can easily be set up on the many switches you force.
    • The EVs and nature complement its role as a revenge killer.
    • Life Orb is the standard item for a cleaner, boosting its power while giving it the freedom to change moves.
    Hazard Lead

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Superpower / Fire Punch / Magic Coat / Mirror Coat

• The set aims to setup entry hazards quickly early-game, and should be used as a lead.
    • Stealth Rock is the most important entry hazard.
    • Spikes is a secondary hazard of which several layers can be set.
    • Taunt prevents opposing leads such as Garchomp and Terrakion from setting up Stealth Rock first turn.
    • Superpower OHKOes Bisharp, a common countermeasure to Deoxys-S leads. While it can Sucker Punch, it faces the 50/50 of you setting up entry hazards at the same time.
    • Fire Punch OHKOes Genesect before it U-turns, but you need 252 Speed with Jolly to outspeed the Choice Scarf set.
    • Magic Coat helps you remedy Taunt from Prankster users such as Sableye and Thundurus.
    • Mirror Coat (which should only be used with Focus Sash) OHKOes Aegislash after it uses Shadow Ball on Deoxys-S.
    • Full Speed + Jolly outspeeds Choice Scarf Genesect and is preferred in most cases so that Deoxys-S can at least tie with other max Speed Deoxys-S
    • However, a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe make Deoxys-S as physically defensive as possible so it tanks hits easier to potentially setup more entry hazards.
    • This means Deoxys-S gets more hazards up on common offensive leads such as Terrakion and Garchomp.
    • Focus Sash guarantees at least one entry hazard, and should always be used with Mirror Coat.
    • Rocky Helmet whittles away at physical attackers health, the most common offensive leads, but should only be used with the mentioned physically defensive spread.
    Rain Setter

Deoxys-S @ Damp Rock
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt
    - Magic Coat / Spikes

• This set sets up rain early-game for rain HO teams.
    • Rain Dance sets up the rain, allowing rain sweepers to clean through opposing teams.
    • Stealth Rock is a necessary entry hazard on virtually all teams, and Deoxys-S has the room to run it.
    • Magic Coat prevents opposing Deoxys-S from using Taunt, as the majority of opposing Deoxys-S will outspeed you.
    • Spikes is an additional hazard in case you have the opportunity to set it up, and it benefits rain's heavily offensive nature.
    • The EVs and nature let you tank hits from the most common attacking leads, hopefully setting up both Rain Dance and Stealth Rock.
    • Damp Rock is mandatory to give your rain sweepers more time to sweep.
    Dual Screens

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Stealth Rock
    - Taunt

• This set sets up Dual Screens so that frailer setup sweepers can setup and sweep.
    • Reflect is the screen for physical attacks.
    • Light Screen is the screen for special attacks.
    • Stealth Rock is the all-important entry hazard.
    • Taunt stops Pokemon like Terrakion from Taunting you themself.
    • The EVs and nature focus on maximizing Speed first, and then the rest delegated to HP.
    • Light Clay extends the duration of the Dual Screens.
    Synergy
    • Offensive LO
      • Doesn't need too much support; it supports its team.
      • Keldeo is nice to beat the problematic Bisharp, Tyranitar, and Skarmory. In return, Deoxys-S can take care of Mega Venusaur and Latios.
      • Excadrill beats Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Aegislash, while also providing Rapid Spin support in games where the opponent also has a Deoxys-S lead.
    • Hazard Lead
      • Supports hyper offensive teams with the likes of Bisharp, Aegislash, Talonflame, Greninja, Keldeo, and setup sweepers such as Mega DD Tyranitar and Mega DD Charizard X.
      • Excadrill is nice as it is the most viable Rapid Spin user, its Sand Rush and Choice Scarf sets fit well on hyper offensive teams, and Rapid Spin is overall a better alternative to Defog as it doesn't remove Deoxys-S's own hazards.
    • Rain Setter
      • Swift Swim sweepers such as Kabutops, Kingdra, and Seismitoad.
      • General rain sweepers such as Keldeo, Tornadus-T, Mega Ampharos, and Azumarill.
      • Rain support such as Politoed and Ferrothorn.
    • Dual Screens
      • Sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Charizard X.
      • Powerful but frail Pokemon such as Exploud and Crawdaunt.
      • Boosting Baton Passers such as Gorebyss and Venomoth.

Other Options
    • Nasty Plot sweeper.
    • Skill Swap for Magic Bounce users.
    • Alternate Moves for revenge killer set.
      • Thunderbolt for regular Gyarados.
    • Extreme Speed to bypass Talonflame's Brave Bird and KO it if it is weakened sufficiently.
    Checks and Counters
    • Aegislash walls non-Knock Off and can scout for it.
    • Talonflame revenge kills offensive set.
    • Bisharp revenge kills offensive set.
    • Thundurus can Taunt it if it lacks Magic Coat.
    • Tyranitar can limit it to one layer if it lacks Superpower.
    • Espeon and Xatu have Magic Bounce.
    • Skarmory walls it.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. trc

trc Active Member

Ok this is ready to be checked by QC n_n

3. Nog

Nog Fuck Curselax

Offensive LO:

- I would add in Superpower as an alternative to Low Kick as Superpower is the preferred move in OU for lighter things like Blissey / Excadrill (Low Kick is p much mandatory in ubers).

Hazard Lead:

- You really should run max speed on a hazard lead to ensure that you get either hazards up first or that you can Taunt other fast users of the move. Running max HP / Def does pretty much nothing as things that threatened Deo S still do and can reliably 2HKO him with either set. I know that Deo S is hella fast so running speed might seem a bit redundant but in the mirror match you will want the extra speed; with speed you force a ton of 50/50's that could end up working in your favor, but without the speed the opposing Deo S can safely Taunt / Magic Coat / Stealth Rock on you because of how "slow" you are. Doesn't really need to be out right changed I suppose, but slashed at the bare minimum.
    - Rocky Helmet is literally never used on Deo S as it's too frail to make great use of it as opposed to say Deo D. The Focus Sash allows Deo S to reliably set up hazards without having the fear of dying in the process. Things like Aegislash will kill you either way but threats like Gengar or Bisharp you can now live at least one more turn.

Rain Setter:

- Spikes should be slashed with Magic Coat as it is a reliable secondary option and can put your rain team further ahead. Defog is less of a problem seeing as how games with dedicated rain teams last like 20 turns max. The opponent never has a chance to Defog away hazards due to the amount of pressure rain sweepers have and the fact that you chose a bulky spread on Deo S means that he will be around a bit longer.

Synergy:

- Keldeo is a fantastic partner to all of it's sets, not just the rain setter set because it beats Bisharp, Tyranitar, Skarmory, while Deoxys has the opportunity to beat Mega Venusaur, Talonflame, and Latios.
    - Excadrill is another amazing partner to Deoxys as it has amazing offensive pressure and Rapid Spin support for teammates. It threatens Bisharp, Tyranitar, Aegislash, and Gengar with STAB Earthquake while still having the Rapid Spin to threaten other Deoxys leads. Type synergy also plays a role, albeit much smaller but a role nonetheless, because Deoxys can come in on Fighting type moves and either force the opponent out or KO with Psycho Boost.

Other Options:

- Meteor Mash: Honestly do not think this is viable at all. Psycho Boost will be doing a ton more to Clefable and teammates such as Excadrill can take out Sylveon or Clefable. Plus Deo S doesn't have the slot to give up for a move that will almost never work and would much rather have a slot for something like Taunt / Psycho Boost / etc.

Just some minor changes that I saw, overall pretty solid.

Finchinator likes this.
  4. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I don't think the rain setter set is worth adding. Rotom-W can do it better since it has better defensive typing and unlike Deoxys-S it can take advantage of the Rain itself with a 247 power Hydro Pump and a perfectly accurate Thunder. It can also use Volt Switches to bring in teammates. OO material IMO.

Rest of the sets look good, but I agree with Nog in changing the EV spread on the hazard lead set to max speed.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. Nog

Nog Fuck Curselax

Having Rotom-Wash as a rain setter isn't optimal because it causes too much of a grass weakness as most rain teams already have politoad and kabutops. Deoxys is a nice setter because it can set up hazards, perform as an anti lead, set up weather, and is type synergetic.

6. trc

trc Active Member

Superpower slash:
    There actually is a reason I chose not to slash Superpower. Basically, it does less than 50% to Chansey and even Blissey, which means it can be stalled out until Superpower is too weak to threaten it at all, at which point the Chansey user can cripple something with TWave or setup Stealth Rock or really do whatever it wants. It's much more beneficial to Knock Off as it switches in and then switch out leaving it for something else, because even if you Knock Off and then Superpower, Chansey still uses Thunder Wave and renders Deoxys-S entirely useless. Doing ~75% to Excadrill is great, as is revenging Greninja after it's locked into Dark Pulse, so I think it's worth a mention in the Set Comments, and nothing more.

Hazard Lead:
    Max Speed:
    That's odd, I thought I put max Speed and Focus Sash as the main set and max HP/Def+ with Rocky Helmet in Set Comments. Moving, thanks n_n

Rocky Helmet:
    I disagree, Rocky Helmet has actually seen use in SPL, and for good reason; being able to chip away at physical attackers with your defensive spread will get you the same amount of hazards in most cases as max Speed + Timid. I'm mentioning it in Set Comments but I disagree with removing it.

Rain Setter:
    Ah, I used to use Spikes on RD set. Adding n_n

Synergy:
    Keldeo and Excadrill.
    Adding n_n

Other Options:
    Meteor Mash
    Eh, OO is usually just a section to fill rather than a section worth arguing about. Removing n_n

Rain Dance set
    To elaborate on what Nog said a bit, RD Deoxys-S is a popular set and the only lead used on Rain Hyper Offense teams. Rotom-W is slower and doesn't die, which may seem good but you get more momentum from dying than from VSwitching. It also sets up SR which is immensely important for rain teams which are entirely dependent on momentum. Definitely keeping.

7. Rohail

Rohail Active Member

Alright, gonna QC this:

General
    Might as well mention that its excellent Speed lets it outspeed even boosted threats like +1 Mega Charizard-X, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, and Choice Scarf Pokemon like Genesect, Garchomp, Excadrill, Landorus-T, etc. which is really what makes it one of the best revenge killers in OU. I would also mention that its offenses, while not that bad, are nothing to brag about and fall fairly short by OU standards.

Hazard Lead
    It might be worth giving examples of specific leads Deo-S can set up on with its defensive spread. Garchomp and Terrakion are good examples, as both fail to 2HKO the defensive variant without crits and Outrage in Chomper's case, letting Deo-S get off an extra layer of hazards.

Synergy
    When you mention Excadrill, it might be worth mentioning that Rapid Spin is an overall better alternative to Defog when using Deo-S, as it ruins Deo-S's efforts of setting up hazards, as Deo-S sets them early-game and will most likely not have another opportunity to set them up late-game.

Checks and Counters
    I trust that you'll expand on the risk of running those checks to check Deo-S when you write this up (i.e. Bisharp loses if it has Superpower, Aegi loses if it has Mirror Coat, etc.).

Honestly, I'm just nitpicking tiny details because this is so well done :) I'll wait for other QC input before stamping this, but rest assured, you have done an excellent job @TRC!

Finchinator likes this.
  8. trc

trc Active Member

Thanks @Rohail! Yeah, I'll definitely expand on everything for the write-up. Looking for a stamp :D

9. MewtwoHidden

MewtwoHidden My Hax Makes Me Famous

PO Trainer Name:
    MewtwoHidden
    Not much left to say, you've done a great job. QC 1/3

trc likes this.
  10. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    QC 2/3

trc likes this.
  11. Rohail

Rohail Active Member

When mentioning Ice Beam/Knock Off, maybe mention that they hit the Latis as well (both moves are guaranteed 2HKOs).

Aside from that, this is excellent. GJ @TRC n_n QC 3/3

12. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    This needs to be locked; Deo-S is banned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.