1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sawk

Discussion in 'NU Analyses' started by Suigetsu, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    [​IMG]
    Overview:
    *Lovely base 125 attack.
    *Average 85 base speed.
    *Average 75/75/75 bulk.
    *Reliable STAB in Close Combat and good coverage.
    *2 very viable abilities in Mold Breaker and Sturdy.
    *Very versatile in which sets.
    *Wide movepool.

Standard Band:
    Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Mold Breaker / Sturdy
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake / Poison Jab
    - Ice Punch / Stone Edge
    - Knock Off

*Choice band + 125 base + adamant + 180 bp move is basically the antichrist.
    *Close Combat is a strong stab to hit hard, and hits many threats: Kabutops, Exploud, Registeel, Scrafty, Magneton, Miltank, Piloswine, Heliolisk and Porygon2 are all hit supereffectively. Earthquake is a nice move to use, hitting pokemon such as Delphox all the while dishing out damage to even neutral pokemon. Ice Punch hits pokemon such as Gourgheist, but SE can be used for QuakeEdge.
    *Adamant nature to add much needed power.
    *Sturdy is viable if you run a defogger, so you can take a se hit and still dish back, since this literally 2hkos most of the tier, you can almost always get a kill off, even if they switch.
    *Access to Knock off dents teams walls or Psychic/Ghost mons that like to switch in in anticipation of CC.
    *Mold breaker allows Earthquake to hit pokemon such as Bronzong or Rotom-C, a very useful ability.

Standard Scarf:
    Sawk (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake / Poison Jab
    - Ice Punch / Stone Edge
    - Knock Off

*Scarf and base 85 Jolly reaches a nice 442, a very usable speed. Outspeeds all max speed mons without a scarf. (Excluding Jolly Ninjask)
    *Same moves as band set, for prediction, although that doesn't matter much as you will dent everything no matter what (excluding musharna or immunities).
    *Access to Knock off dents teams walls or Psychic/Ghost mons that like to switch in in anticipation of CC.
    *Mold breaker allows Earthquake to hit pokemon such as Bronzong or Rotom-C, a very useful ability.

Other Options:
    *Toxic on the scarf set to mock last gen's set.
    *Power Up Punch on the Scarf set.
    *Reversal could be used on a sturdy set. (Paired with a Salac Berry maybe?)
    *Bulk Up Set
    *Any of the elemental punches.
    *Adamant on the Scarf set if you are ok with the speed drop.
    *An Expert Belt Set would work, considering Sawk has nice coverage.
    *Life orb is usable, yet does the same job as E-belt, just doesn't need SE and has 10% of sawk's health recoil.

Checks and Counters
    Whilst banded sawk can be scary, there is something for everything. Stealth Rocks easily shuts down any sets with sturdy, allowing a faster scarfer such as Typhlosion to kill easily. Musharna is always a solid check, although the banded set will deal some amount of damage to it. Aromatisse is worth mention here also, as it can almost wall Sawk. Tornadus is usually a good call, as it can OHKO with acrobatics. Qwilfish can switch in and easily Intimidate and bulk anything Sawk throws at it, although Banded Earthquakes do 2HKO. Chesnaught is a good call, since it can bulk most hits. Delphox, if used correctly, easily KO's. Gallade works in multiple situations, draining back all HP if sawk has used CC once. Any priority users than can KO at -1 do a good job, EG zangoose or Hitmontop. A dedicated counter that also sweeps is Kabutops with Focus Sash: sawk CC's Kabutops hangs on, gets +1 speed, uses Swords Dance, gets +2, and kills with Aqua Jet.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  2. RudeStyle

RudeStyle A year late x D

PO Trainer Name:
    RudeStyle
    Nice work on the analysis friend :]

Could I just suggest adding LO to OO. Hits hard without the hassle of being locked into a move.

3. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Adding, but imo expert belt is much better as it does the same job with sawk's coverage, without the recoil.

4. Daybreak

Daybreak can't touch this

PO Trainer Name:
    Daybreak
    I would recommend putting the banded set first because it's role is to wallbreak the tier, 2hkoing chesnaught with a physical attack is no easy feeat at all. Also Although scarf sawk is still good, primeape outclasses it as a scarfer with access to u-turn, higher speed, and defiant incase of sticky web. The only thing sawk has going for it as a scarfer is higher attack and access to knock off. While those are very good things to have, I feel like what primeape has going for it outweighs what sawk has for it, so I feel like scarf should be the 2nd set. You didn't mention sturdy on the scarf set at all or poison jab, any reason for that?

In C&C mention aromatisse higher on the list since it checks sawk pretty well as it can only be hit by the rare poison jab. Also mention that sawk's base 85 speed while good, isn't exactly spectacular so revenge killing it shouldn't be hard at all. Also I have not seen sash kabutops at all, it's primary job is supposed to be an offensive spinner and putting a sash on it is useless since it will be coming in on the hazards to spin them away.

Just some suggestions.

5. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Sturdy on the scarf set isn't needed as the band needs sturdy to take a hit from a faster mon, mold breaker is the better option for scarf. Will add though since it is viable against other scarfers.

Poison jab is pretty weak and not reliable to be locked into without band, but I'll add to make sure consistency is at its highest.

Sash Kabutops is pretty decent, you should try it: if teams aren't prepared it absoultely wrecks. It is a dedicated counter as I said, but it also works normally so yeah. Just throwing out a set I found.

6. The Dude

The Dude The Mannis

I don't really think Mold Breaker EQ is needed on Band Sawk. Close Combat hits Bronzong just as hard to get 2HKO and OHKO's 4 HP Rotom-C and is a 100% OHKO on 252 HP Eelektross. Mold also alerts the opp and being locked in EQ isn't always the best thing. Sturdy comes in handy then.

252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 204-240 (60.3 - 71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Sawk Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 226-268 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I usually use the same moveset but with Poison Jab over EQ, but just my opinion.

7. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Well, earthquake does hit poison types, and the fact the mold breaker message doesn't show will alert any decent player to sturdy, as noone even uses Inner Focus lol.

Its just a preference, I was using levitate mons as an example, can be changed.

8. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Personally I think Mold Breaker should be used on both Band and Scarf set, as it lets it take down Pokémon that would otherwise wall it, namely Weezing. Good job though.

9. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    It is, he's discussing use of sturdy on scarf set.

Weezing is a good example, but again I dont see the point of Sturdy on the Scarf set, as it is made to clean lategame: by that point hazards should be up, rendering Sturdy useless. I guess I can add it, but is there a point?

10. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

I've Uploaded this, because it's still competitively sound, and it might as well have been. No one was complaining about the content.

I made a couple of tweaks though, one of which included merging both sets and simply explaining how they functioned differently. Same moves and EV spreads, after all...