1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Inverted Battle] Paranormal Activity (Peaked #1)

Discussion in 'Team Showcase' started by Epikhairz, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    [​IMG]
    Introduction
    Hello, I am Epikhairz. Many of you may know me as the guy who plays UU and is super awesome. However, a while back, I decided to try Inverted Battle. The idea came when someone in Indigo was wondering how effective BoltBeam coverage was in Inverted, so I immediately slapped Porygon2, one of the best bulky offensive users of BoltBeam, and went from there to create a fairly bulky offensive team. While building the team, I tried to stay far away from the NormalSpam everyone thought the tier was associated with or would become. I also stayed far away from the standard stall core of Chansey / Avalugg, because playing that is just boring and stale. As soon as I played my first battle, I instantly grew a strong liking for Inverted Battle, since the way the type chart was messed up made it unique with its own meta so different from standard tiers that I really liked. I played a lot of Inverted on both PO and PS!, and I peaked #8 on PS!, while working my way up to #1 on PO, even though that might not be saying much. I'm choosing to RMT this team because I've used it so much in the past month or two, and I'm ready to move on to other teams while sharing my favorite team to use. So without further ado, here's the team!

[​IMG]

At A Glance
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Team

[​IMG]

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Roar
    Rhyperior is awesome in Inverted Battle. In standard play, it is known not only for its sky-high base Attack and Defense stats, but also for its unfortunately poor x4 weaknesses to Water and Grass. However, in Inverted, those crippling weaknesses are turned into x4 resistances, and with Solid Rock, it is able to tank even super-effective special hits. I use Specially Defensive Rhyperior for tanking hits all around, though it is still able to survive a hit from powerful physical supereffective attacks like a Band Dragonite Extreme Speed. This thing is also able to help me set up SR for wearing down opposing teams and breaking Sashes and Dragonite's Multiscale, and is also the best switch-in to Pokemon like Weavile and Mega Abomasnow that I have.

[​IMG]

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Explosion
    - Ice Beam
    Despite its typing now being absolute shit, Genesect's versatility, Download, access to U-turn, and somewhat better STAB attacks make it still worth using. Genesect's Steel typing is pretty nifty against the common Avalugg / Chansey core, allowing it to easily switch into a predictable Toxic from either and proceed to wreck with Ice Beam or Iron Head, respectively, or just pivot with U-turn. When there are no Fake Out users to be seen on the other team (Ambipom, Mega Medicham, etc.), this'll be the Pokemon I lead with, since getting a quick U-turn off turn 1 gives me the upper hand. When something that threatens my team immensely needs to die, or I just want to end the game on a flashy note, I use Explosion :]

[​IMG]

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    - Outrage
    - Ice Beam / Dragon Claw
    - Extreme Speed
    - Earthquake
    Another Pokemon with shitty typing but yet is still cool, Dragonite is among one of the best Pokemon in the tier. This is for one reason and one reason only - Banded Extreme Speed hits like a truck and is great for cleaning up games. The other moves are there for coverage but are barely used, though at times I will use Dragonite's strong STAB Outrage to blast through Chansey if need be. Multiscale is a cool as fuck ability allowing it to survive even super-effective hits at full HP, and notably eat up a Mach Punch or Aqua Jet at full HP.

On an unrelated note I literally just realized that I've been running Inner Focus Dragonite on PO this whole time :[

[​IMG]

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Tri Attack
    - Discharge
    - Toxic / Ice Beam
    - Recover
    Porygon2 is definitely the star of the team. This is the Pokemon I started with and then built around, and I have kept it true to its intention and left it with BoltBeam coverage, or at least, pseudo-BoltBeam coverage. The reason I use Discharge is for the 30% to paralyze a Pokemon, making offensive threats switching in much easier to handle if the paralysis kicks in. BoltBeam is still great coverage in Inverted, and there are few Pokemon that resist it (Flying-types, Thundurus and Landorus) but they get raped by Tri Attack anyways. Porygon2 after a Download boost hits a whopping 508 SAtk, though without the boost it still fares pretty well with 339 SAtk.

[​IMG]

Abomasnow (M) @ Abomasite
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Shard
    - Toxic / Return / Earthquake
    Because of Abomasnow's bad typing in standard play, I decided to try it out in Inverted to see how it would work. Other reasons I chose it were because it had access to Ice Shard, which was a much-needed additional priority attack, as well as Blizzard to take down Avalugg and other Ice-types. Coincidentally, Ice- and Grass- are arguably the two best types after Normal, and Abomasnow can threaten many Pokemon in the tier. However, its poor Speed and massive weakness to Grass are factors that need to be worked around when playing with Abomasnow.

[​IMG]

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Nasty Plot
    - Recover / Heal Bell
    Finally, here is the sweeper of the team, Celebi. As I said before, Grass is one of the best types in the meta and capable of steamrolling through common threats. Pokemon who would normally destroy Celebi in standard play like Weavile and Talonflame are suddenly setup bait for Celebi. I've never found Earth Power or any coverage move to be useful on Celebi, so I just use Recover to heal on Pokemon that hit only mildly hard to keep it healthy, though Heal Bell can also be used to rid the team of status, which this team in particular really dislikes.

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Solid Rock
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Blast
    - Roar

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Explosion
    - Ice Beam

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    - Outrage
    - Ice Beam
    - Extreme Speed
    - Earthquake

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Tri Attack
    - Discharge
    - Toxic
    - Recover

Abomasnow (M) @ Abomasite
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Blizzard
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Shard
    - Toxic

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Nasty Plot
    - Recover

Conclusion
    So yeah, there's my team. I find that it really deviates from brainless ladder trends like Chansey / Avalugg stall and NormalSpam, and I love Bulky Offense. However, this team does tend to get slowed down by Chansey / Avalugg stall, though if momentum is kept up, the team should have no problem coming out on top, no matter how long it takes. A Grass-type weakness throughout the team is also pretty apparent and Rhyperior and Porygon2 should either be kept alive to handle them, or if they are not too fast have Celebi revenge kill them. Have fun and use it if you wish ^.^

Final Look

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Rizkybest9 likes this.
  2. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Threat List

[​IMG] Landorus-I - Rapes my entire team. My best hope is to hit it off with U-turn and finish it with priority Extreme Speed, but it will require foddering off one or two Pokemon

[​IMG]Diggersby - Choice Band Diggersby seriously threatens my team and 2HKOs everything, though I do have faster Pokemon to revenge it. Choice Scarf also causes some problems, but Rhyperior can get it with Rock Blast, and it can also be revenged. haha its banned :]

[​IMG]Chansey - Annoying, especially when paired with Avalugg. Wish variants are quite easy to handle, as I switch in Rhyperior on the predictable Wish and phaze it when it uses Protect to make it unable to recover HP. Soft-Boiled variants are harder for me to deal with, but they do get worn down over time. When the opportunity is ripe, I have Dragonite come in and use Outrage to clinch the kill so my special attackers can thrive.

more to add later

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Windblown

Windblown sable knight

even Rhyperior gets beaten by Celebi if Nasty Plot + LO as +2 Psychic is an OHKO after rocks (also does around 70~ to Pory2) so it doesn't take Grasses as well as you'd like as Mega Venusaur can pack Sludge Bomb - good Breloom counter though.

I would try fitting a Water-type somewhere on the team to take on Grass-types and Electric-types - Mega Abomasnow seems like the least important member, but it kinda prevents Mega Charizard Y from shitting on your team every time it comes in, although you do have Gene to revenge so it seems okay there

CB Diggersby is a huge problem. Of course it's a massive threat to every team without an Avalugg or something but it 2KOs the entire team and you don't really have anything to outspeed AND OHKO it (Pory2 can use Discharge, but you have to sack something every time to bring it in safely).

Ground-types (Landorus-I, Garchomp) are actually a problem since you have two Grass-types and a Dragonite. Landorus can Sludge Wave Rhyperior which is a 4x weakness I believe, so it's probably not going to tank. Your Scarfer doesn't really have a move to revenge these, which is why I'd suggest a fast Electric-type too.

Ice Beam on Pory2 is actually super redundant because a lot of common things resist Ice - Avalugg is hit, but Tri Attack whacks it or enough. You hit Fire-types and Water-types I suppose, but the only one that can break Pory is probably Victini which isn't too common. Toxic or Thunder Wave might be a better option (if you do the latter go with Thunderbolt over Discharge).

I still think LO is the better item on NP Celebi because it allows it to set up to +6 on Chansey and 2HKO it.

what does EQ on Mega Abomasnow hit??? Flying/Grass/Bug resist it and Giga Drain hits everything. I'd go for some generic Normal-type move for Rock-types (Tyranitar) or Toxic to hit walls.

Ice Beam on Dragonite just in the event you need to hit Avalugg and the rare Cloyster.

It's a solid team though for the most part so grats on the peaks :]

4. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    hi thx for rate user windblown

CB Digg is indeed an issue I may adjust the EVs on Rhyperior to see if I can avoid the 2HKO but other than that (or if that doesnt work) it will screw me over

I might replace MAbomasnow with an Electric or Water type some suggestions might be helpful

I've never found Garchomp to be a problem simply because I have the god Porygon2 to deal with it, as well is Rhyperior. However Landorus-I is a huge problem for the team that I dont think even an Electric-type could remedy because its still neutral to Electric

I'll try Toxic on my Porygon2 because it might be helpful against the various special walls that love switching in on it

Yeah LO on Celebi definitely. I ran LO on PS!, then I tried lefties and realized I could only do around 45% to Chansey at +6.

I'll try out Toxic on Abomasnow as well, also for special walls

Ice Beam on dnite seems p cool I might try it, though again, I really only use Outrage and Espeed anyways.

again ty for rate :]