1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Monotype] Monotype Viability Rankings

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by sulcata, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Just need to mention Mega Eye is banned, but I agree that Mandibuzz is a must in a good monodark

iRaimon likes this.
  2. iRaimon

iRaimon New Member

non mega sableye is still good in the core I mentioned, as with prankster taunt and willo its still good (why its S rank) it can even run confide to help with special attackers.

3. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    There are certain points to ponder before you start posting in the viability rankings. I don't suppose you have the gone through the rankings as a whole.
    MegaZardY is banned, so is Mega Sableye.
    Mega Sableye was suspected a few months ago and ZardY has been banned ever since Drought and Drizzle got banned since the start of Gen 6.

For Gallade [from B to A] I think it's possible IMO. It can run SD+LUM, AV, bulk up variants and the band version which is pretty cool. It also saves you mega slot at times. And is a very good fighting type Mon for destroying dark/steel types when you have Mega Garde as the mega. IMO it should get A rank mostly because of it's AV set e.e but I'll leave more to discussing this.

Luxray? Irdk :v

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    iRaimon likes this.
  4. iRaimon

iRaimon New Member

5. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Mega Aggron is actually much better on Steel than I thought.

Aggron (M) @ Aggronite
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Heavy Slam
    - Low Kick
    - Avalanche
    - Roar

It just fills in all the gaps Skarmory couldn't on my team. Dealing with things like mixed Garchomp, Taunt Gliscor, etc. It's so much less passive than Skarm was on my team, actually threatening things out. Roar isn't used very often admittedly, but it's a nice second look to DD users like SubDD Mega Gyarados. I couldn't find any particular threats that were worth investing attack or defense differently, but that doesn't mean the EV spread is ideal.

I think this should move up to A rank at least.

I haven't really seen any good Steel teams with Klefki. Move it down to B rank maybe?

I'm still not convinced on moving Clefable. It seems way to passive for the most common Fairy archetype, Screens&Drum. Rocks aren't that important to Fairy, or at least I don't think they are. It just seems to concede way too much momentum to the opponent. Also, it should never be 6-0'ing any half decent Steel team played by anyone who knows what they're doing :v

I agree with Mandibuzz to S on Dark. I disagree with moving Mega Absol and Mega Houndoom down. They're pretty viable mixed attackers on Dark.

I think saying Mew can run every set in the game as reason to move it up is a bit silly. It only runs 1-2 sets. With that said I think its defensive sets are good enough to justify moving it to S. As for gallade, idk.

Luxray, yes. Better than Electivire lol. There's usually an awkward spot on Electric teams where adding anything else feels redundant. Trick isn't super reliable for getting rid of Chansey and Blissey, so Luxray can be a pretty solid option. For things like Porygon2 I'd much rather rely on SubCM Raikou though.

Edna likes this.
  6. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Mega aggron in A is fine for me, seen you playing it and it can be a good mega since no Megagross, good bulk and good ability

Klefki never been that useful on Steel as you have much better to cover weaknesses, much better to hazard stack with semi recovery ( Ferro )

I agree with the rest

7. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Now that Volcanion is usable, I was thinking where to put it.
    I believe that A Rank in Fire sounds nice, even though it has the dumb sr weakness, given that it has water absorb and a very good move in the form of Steam Eruption.
    As for Water, I am not really sure. Having Fire STAB versus Grass types is a boon but grass is not a very common type to maybe B or C?

8. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I still haven't tested it in both Mono so i'm not gonna add it in any rank yet. Water resist means a lot for Monofire, as it pairs well with Talonflame to reduce some Keldeo demolition, although it will find issues with the likes of Mega Gyarados. I guess it's very viable in Water since scarf Flamethrower deals pretty much with most Monograss, which was at the moment a big issue for Monowater, it has the power to burn Venusaur and I've been testing a Rest Talk set that can pretty much counter Mega Gardevoir and Mega Venusaur

232 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Volcanion: 97-114 (26.6 - 31.3%) -- 22.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
    232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Volcanion: 120-142 (32.9 - 39%) -- 11.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Volcanion: 133-157 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- 98.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
    0 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Gardevoir: 115-136 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    0 SpA Volcanion Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 372-444 (105.6 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Volcanion: 260-308 (71.4 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    0 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Excadrill: 420-494 (116.3 - 136.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 116 Def Volcanion: 276-326 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    0 SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 356-422 (111.5 - 132.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It is possible to run both fire blast or Flamthrower but I personally dislike when I miss all Fire blast so i went with Flamethrower. Despite the fact it's Ground and Rock Weak, you can pair it with a lot of nice Pokemon in Monowater such as Keldeo, Gyarados so you can some offensive pressure on the opponent team. Given that, in theory, I think that Volcanion can fit very nicely in Monowater. Alternatively, Roar and Toxic are decent options but with Mono being very offensive oriented you'll be very limited in time to actually use them. Personally, I can imagine Volcanion sit in A rank in Monowater.

I have no idea for Fire how it will work, will it run scarf/specs/LO/Defensive sets (?) so i'll abstain for now

Here is my set
    Volcanion @ Leftovers

Trait: Water Absorb

EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 136 SDef / 8 Spd

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Steam Eruption

- Flamethrower

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

9. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    No, Defensive Volcan is pretty ass in MonoFire, however both specs and scarf are good options. I mostly run Overheat/Steam/Sludge (for Azu)/Focus Blast or Sleep Talk (fuck sleep) LO might be good too but haven't really tried it. As for scarf, there also comes the slight problem that you can't outspeed Aerodactyl which sucks :/ (393 at timid vs. 394 ) But A is where is should be.

10. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I'll soon make these as tables. If you want to move Volcanion into a tier or you believe something should move say now and why ~

11. Joyverse

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Volcanion for a rank in fire. Check against water types, has sludge wave for azu, hp grass/sbeam for waters otherwise. Specs Steam/Fire blast just cripples any given team with sheer force+burns. LO is also fun to use given the low speed. IDK for water :x

12. Escoffier

Escoffier New Member

- Ground: Mega Camerupt is far better than D. Deserves at least B Rank.
    - Electric: Zapdos(B) and Galvantula(S) need to swap ranks. Mega Ampharos/Magnezone need a bump to A Rank.
    - Ice: Avalugg is a staple, S Rank. Walrein and Lapras both need a bump +1(Wal->A, Lapras->B). Weavile or Mamo bump to S Rank.
    - Dragon: Flygon/Noivern drop to C/D. Dragalge bump to B.
    - Dark: Mandibuzz is pretty much staple, bump to S Rank.

Other less notable change's I'd make in there, but nothing as important as the above listed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Edna likes this.
  13. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I agree, will also finish to turn everything into tables it's just a bit long :v

Joyverse likes this.
  14. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

who put galv in S lol

I fail to see how Avalugg actually does anything for ice aside from "spin good, hazard bad". Keeping rocks and hazards off is a losing battle for most types, let alone ice. Avalugg in general just seems to fall completely flat in my experience, meshing awkwardly with the more offensive members of ice.

15. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Galv was S because for a long moment Web electric was the best strategy: galv+defiant thundy+mane etc which pushed it back in the time to be S rank. Not that it's bad but I agree with B

16. sulcata

it was never a good strategy, people just insisted insist on using it :(

17. Escoffier

Escoffier New Member

Avalugg is a staple defensive wall/pivot, and ice just doesn't win if dealing with SR.

18. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I personally also dislike Avalugg because of its spe def and speed. I found that Articuno did more job as it has defog and thus you won't fear the Spin Blocker. Avalugg will get hard walled by so many spin blocker such as Aegislash, Jellicent, Sableye, Spiritomb that it will a lot of time fail to spin or lose too many hp to the point it can't do its job. Not to mention it's set up bait to many pokemons and will rely on some gimmick sets such as Custap Berry to try spinning.

I really can't see Avalugg being a good pokemon for these reasons