1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simipour [QC: 0/3]

Discussion in 'NU Analyses' started by Paradise, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Paradise

Paradise "my heart wants to come home"

[​IMG]
    QC: / /
    GP: /​
    Overview
    • Pros:
      • Has a base Speed stat of 101, meaning it can outspeed the crowded base 100 tier.
      • Has access to Nasty Plot, which makes it very strong.
      • Wide coverage options consisting of Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast, amongst others.
      • Torrent can be useful, at times.
    • Cons:
      • Lacks much bulk, making it a bit harder for it to setup.
      • 4MSS, it really struggles to fit all the moves it needs too in.
      • Checked easily by bulkier Pokemon, Scarfed Pokemon, and also priority.
      • Outclassed for the most part by Gorebyss.
      • Worn down quickly.
    Nasty Plot
    Simipour @ Life Orb
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast

• Nasty Plot is Simipour's best boosting option and turns it into a very formidable threat.
    • Hydro Pump is Simipour's STAB move and hits especially hard.
    • Ice Beam gets great coverage with Hydro Pump and hits Grass-types like Chesnaught and Vileplume.
    • Focus Blast hits Steel-types like Magneton and gets nice coverage all around.
    • Scald or Surf can be used in the place of Hydro Pump should its accuracy concern you.
    • Life Orb bolsters Simipour's Special Attack to make it as powerful as it can be, while also allowing for the switching of moves, unlike Choice Specs.
    • EVs are allocated to make Simipour as fast and powerful as possible.
    • Torrent can come in handy, as Simipour gets worn down quickly, and can allow for one or two extremely powerful Hydro Pumps.
    • Simipour is best used after bulkier Pokemon, and faster Pokemon, are removed.
    • Simipour can either be used early game to break down aforementioned bulkier Pokemon for its teammates, or it can be used late game to sweep.
    • Try to be cautious when using Nasty Plot, as it can be stopped pretty easily, you are better off attacking potential Choice Scarf users and faster Pokemon trying to switch in.
    Physical
    Simipour @ Liechi Berry / Salac Berry
    Ability: Gluttony
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch / Knock Off
    - Low Kick / Superpower
    - Acrobatics / Encore / Taunt

• Waterfall is Simipour's main STAB move.
    • Ice Punch gets great coverage alongside Waterfall, hitting Grass-types.
    • Knock Off is useful for crippling Pokemon and its all around good coverage.
    • Low Kick and Superpower are very useful for coverage, with Low Kick hitting heavier Pokemon and Superpower being more reliable; however, do note Superpower lowers Simipour's Attack, making it easy to set up on.
    • Acrobatics OHKOes Chesnaught at +1 and does a lot to it switching in without boosts.
    • Encore and Taunt are great utility moves.
    • Liechi Berry raises Simipour's Attack stat and activates when Simipour is at 50% health, thanks to Gluttony, and allows for Acrobatics to become 110 Base Power; however, Salac Berry can be used to raise its Speed, but the power from Liechi Berry will be missed.
    • EVs maximize offensive potential.
    • Simipour can ditch using a berry and run Life Orb, however, this means Acrobatics cannot be used and leaves it walled by Chesnaught.
    Other Options
    • Grass Knot can be used for coverage.
    • Hidden Power Ground hits Steel-types and can be used over Focus Blast, but the loss of power is extremely noticeable.
    • Knock Off can be used on special sets for coverage.
    • Substitute eases prediction and allows for an easier time in setting up Nasty Plot, however, Simipour loses a lot of coverage by doing this.
    • Rock Slide can be used on physical sets to hit Flying-types, but Ice Punch is often better all around.
    • Gunk Shot hits Grass-types, but it has poor coverage otherwise and Ice Beam is often better to use.
    Checks and Counters:
    • Electric-types like Jolteon and Heliolisk, who is also immune to Hydro Pump, can easily outspeed Simipour and OHKO with their STAB moves.
    • Bulky Pokemon can take on Simipour, even with boosts.
    • Thunder Wave really hurts Simipour, along with most status.
    • Taunt from the likes of Mega Banette can prevent it from setting up, making it easier to handle.
    • Choice Scarf Pokemon such as Magneton cannot directly switch in, but they can revenge kill Simipour.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Use export team to get your sets: Your EVs are wrong and it says "Ability" rather than traits. Also the Nature format is wrong.

You fail to mention a perfect check: Heliolisk. Can switch in on a water move easily then get the hell out of there with volt switch which WILL ko.
    Typhlosion is in no way a check nor a counter, the most it can do is revenge afterwards but cant switch in in fear of hydro pump, or even focus blast.

Grass knot on the first set is a good option, as it will hit all those pesky water pokemon harder than focus blast, also hitting the few Ground/Water types.

I'd also like to point out the NU forums have no QC yet so there is no point on having the [0/3] yet.

Mention its lack of priority allowing hard hitting priority users like Swellow, Zangoose, Banette, Druddigon and the occasional Hitmontop to take it out.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Paradise

Responses :)

4. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    I'm not saying showdown is bad or anything but this PO..

Saying It's in OO is like saying it isn't standard, but it is actually quite standard and it is very viable.

Implying is not good enough as some people don't know about Heliolisk's Dry Skin or the fact it is a decent mon.

Given a free switch in, Outspeeds, KOs: how is that not a check?
    Heliolisk is more of a check than Typhlosion.
    252 SpA Typhlosion Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Simipour: 170-200 (58.4 - 68.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Simipour: 382-452 (131.2 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also, you're supposed to actually make an effort to factor in criticism rather than shrug away things such as my last point about priority users.

5. Paradise

I was not shrugging it away, I just do not necessarily agree with some of your points. I do agree about removing Typhlosion, and I'm going to fix the formatting asap, but Grass Knot does not add amazing coverage, and thus should be OO. I will add Heliolisk, I never said it wasn't a check. Disagreeing ≠ shrugging off.

6. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Yes, I'm aware that disagreeing is not the same as shrugging off, but you've just plain ignored the point, didn't even bother addressing it.

I'm not trying to be hostile here, honestly.