1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Darmanitan

Discussion in 'UU Analyses' started by Duncajuwon, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

Hey guys! It's Duncajuwon, and this is my first competitive analyses. I might leave a bunch of things out and make rookie mistakes, so please comment with anything I should change! All comments taken positively. :3
    Ok, Now the analysis!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

General
    Even upon a new generation of X and Y, Darmanitan is still wreaking havoc in the UU tier. With the high base attack of 140, Darm has the ability to obliterate opponents into pieces. This could be a little challenging, considering its measly base speed of 95. It can also be a nice surprise to opponents, since Victini overshadows Darm most of the time. Darmanitan has the upperhand though with a 140 base attack, while Victini only has 100 base attack, but Victini has greater defense stats, which can come in handy. Darmanitan also GAINS a 30% boost to moves with secondary effects! Darmanitan's attack will become even HIGHER. One downside of Darmanitan's super high attack is its limited move pool. Darmanitans are mainly scarfed or banded, and have the same sets, making it very predictable. Another weakness is stealth rocks, since most Darmanitans have u-turn as a scouting move, and it would take 25% each time it comes in.

All Out Attacker

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf or Life Orb / Choice Band
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower / Earthquake
    - Flare Blitz

Bearing in mind Darmanitan's high attack stat combined with its 30% sheer force boost, it can destroy opponents. If it has a life orb, its attack with get another 30% boost, making it insanely high! Running a choice scarf on it would allow it be a late game sweeper and spam flare blitz, once its checks and counters are taken out, keeping in mind how much flare blitz would do to every pokemon. Because of Darmanitan's paltry speed without a choice scarf, pairing it with Galvantula or Smeargle to set up a sticky web would be beneficial. It also has access to U-Turn, a great pivot and scouting move. Rock Slide is an amazing coverage move to hit Salamence and mega Aerodactyl and fire type pokes, unless you have earthquake instead of superpower. Superpower is another great coverage move, mainly for Umbreon, Porygon2, Rhyperior, and Hydreigon. Flare Blitz hits harder than a truck, and is Darmanitan's main stab move that lets him sweep. I personally like jolly over adamant because of the necessary additional speed, but adamant would give it an evident attack boost. The Choice Scarf lets Darmanitan sweep with speed and power, but the Choice Band set allows Darmanitan to reach a 568 attack with jolly, helping it sweep with pure power.

Belly Drum
    Darmanitan (M) @ Salac Berry
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Belly Drum

Belly Drum is one of Darmanitan's hidden gems. Belly Drum is a quick way to let Darmanitan have +6 attack, at the cost of half its life. Salac Berry allows it to out speed any scarf user slower than Base 95 speed once it is activated. After the belly drum, substitute can help activate it without taking too much damage. Fire Punch is greater than flare blitz in this circumstance because since Darmanitan will be already at under 25% when the salac berry is activated, recoil damage will quickly kill the Darmanitan. Earthquake lets it hit rock and w water types. Pairing it with Ninetales is a good way to power up fire punch with drought. A necessity to allow it to sweep is to remove or weaken Pokemon with priory and scarf users that are over base 95 speed.

Other Options
    Encore is another good option, locking the opponent into a move and quickly fainting the opponent with its strong attack, or making it easier to switch to a teammate. Sleep Talk is also another good option, making it able to absorb spore and sleep powders.

Checks and Counters
    Due to Darmanitan's low defense and limited movepool, there are many checks and counters to this pokemon. Rhyperior is one of Darmanitan's ultimate counter, resisting Flare Blitz 2x and can OHKO with earthquake. Darmanitan has 0% chance to 3hko a max hp max defense Rhyperior with earthquake. Bulky water type pokemon such as Slowbro and Suicune, Intimidate Salamence and Zygarde are also able to resist all of Darmanitan's attack, and ko it easily. Stealth Rocks are one of its greatness weakness, taking away 25% of its health each time it switches in. There are also many pokemon that can live a flare blitz, such as Hydreigon, Latias, and Terrakion, but they can't take too many hits, and they also fear Darmanitan's other coverage moves if the Darmanitan is not scarf or banded. Flare blitz also takes a lot of recoil damage, so the opponent can wait until Darmanitan is in priority range. Mega Blastoise, Chandelure, and Defensive Arcanine can all wall Darmanitan pretty well.

Any comments to help me in the future and to improve this thread would be widely appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  2. somerandomguy

somerandomguy Active Member

You can mention in general that it doesn't appreciate Stealth Rock instead of set comments as it applies to every Darmanitan set, you can also mention it hits harder than Victini however the recoil can wear it down quickly

For the 2 sets, you can probably put them together into 1 set and call it an all-out attacker. Make Choice Scarf the primary item and slash Life Orb and Choice Band, replace Rock Slide with Earthquake, and alongside Superpower slash Rock Slide. Superpower hits Hydreigon and Rock Slide hits Salamence (if they lack a Scarf or didn't DD) Mention that Adamant can be used with Life Orb or Choice Band for more power

You add a Belly Drum set as the second set, it can work well but requires support, should look like this:

=Belly Drum=
    Darmanitan (M) @ Salac Berry
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Belly Drum

Mention that Salac Berry is useful to outspeed any Scarf users slower than Base 95, and Substitute helps activate it. Fire Punch is used over Flare Blitz to avoid recoil and Earthquake is used to hit Water and Rock types. Also mention that Pokemon with priority and Scarf users over Base 95 need to be removed, and Darmanitan's counters such as Suicune and Rhyperior need to be weakened in order to sweep

In OO remove Substitute + Focus Punch as Darmanitan usually only uses Flare Blitz and U-Turn and the other 2 moves are just coverage/filler moves, the second set is a lot better at taking advantage over Substitute anyway. Remove Will-O-Wisp as it lacks bulk and Victini would do a better job with it. Sleep Talk can be useful when using a Choice Scarf to absorb Sleep Powder/Spore.

Remove Azumarill from C&C, its OU. You can change the order a bit, make (1) Rhyperior and bulky Water-types first, remove Slowbro and Suicune as they go under bulky Water-types, (2) Intimidate Salamence and Zygarde, (3) Stealth Rock (4) Pokemon that live a Flare Blitz such as Hydreigon, Latias, Terrakion etc but mention that they can't take too hits especially if they lack a Scarf and that they fear Earthquake/Superpower/U-turn or Life Orb, and priority users such as Crawdaunt and Honchkrow

3. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

I've added the Belly Drum Set. I liked the idea of making the all out attacker choice band/ choice scarf / life orb. I'm still not sure about the Sub Focus Punch. I think it can come in handy. Thanks for the help!

4. somerandomguy

Choice Scarf should be the first item as it can work really well as a revenge killer thanks to its massive Attack stat, you also forgot to slash Choice Band behind Life Orb. Sub + Focus Punch shouldn't be used at all, the only Pokemon that are hit by it are Rhyperior (which can kill Darmanitan behind a Substitute with Rock Blast) and Hydreigon which is OHKOed by Superpower (56.3% chance)

5. Daybreak

Daybreak can't touch this

PO Trainer Name:
    Daybreak
    just realized that this got edited after somerandomguy's comments lol. Only thing I would have to add is that you can always rely on recoil range to put itself in priority kill range in c&c

1/3

6. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

7. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Ok I'd say split the first set into Choice Scarf and LO/Choice Band, since they play different roles. Also Rock Slide is pretty much staple, and it should be EQ and Superpower slashed since they share similar coverage.

In C+C:
    Rhyperior only 2x resists Fire
    Add Mega Blastoise as a Check
    Add Chandelure as a Check
    Defensive Arcanine as a Check

8. somerandomguy

Do Afro Smash's changes and QC 2/3

9. Windblown

Windblown sable knight

Your comments on the Choiced / LO set should be grouped together depending on what set they're talking about. The comments about it being paired with Sticky Web and having 568 attack with Jolly should specify that those apply when he's banded.

Zapdos isn't UU anymore, you could probably replace the mention of him with Mega Aerodactyl.

10. ThunderStruck0011

ThunderStruck0011 ;)

PO Trainer Name:
    megR
    I absolutely love Darmanitan in the UU metagame... Very good sweeper... Only if Raichu was a little bit more of a threat...

11. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

Okay guyys edited with the changes you guys wanted

12. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Everything looks good right now

I'm kinda skeptical about the Belly Drum set, but I'm on vacation right now and can't adequately test it so I'll take everyone else's word for it.

QC 3/3

EDIT: OO actually needs to be expanded a bit, just include things like Adamant nature, Stone Edge, and Bulk Up

EDIT2: The current analysis template only supports up to two items at the moment so unfortunately the set will need to be split up into scarf and LO / CB again. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused but this is relatively new news to me as well :[

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  13. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

Okay, I will add the stone edge, bulk up, and adamant into other options. Just making sure I understand correctly, you mean I need to make a set that is choice scarf, and another one thats lo/cb? Also, what do you guys mean by "writing it up"?
    [Approved] - When your skeleton has been approved by QC and you are writing it up, change your tag to this.
    sorry its my first analysis

ThunderStruck0011 likes this.
  14. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Yes new set order should be

- Scarf
    - All Out Attacker (LO / Band )
    - Belly Drum

Writing it up = changing analysis from bullet points to fully fleshed out paragraphs

Hopefully that cleared things up!

15. Duncajuwon

Duncajuwon Active Member

Okay thanks. I'll try to work on it, but i'm pretty busy this week. Hopefully will be finished by next week sometime