1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XY NU Viability Rankings

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Incon, Jul 24, 2014.

1. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

I think B- would be better, but it's definitely a good mon atm. On top of what you said, it also has a priority move in Ice Shard which is great since Noivern and Rotom-C dropped. Sadly, Rotom-H dropped as well which it can't touch without running a rock type move or toxic and if you choose to do that, you lose either Icicle Spear/Crash or Stealth Rocks. Like Golurk, it has stab EQ and Ice is a nice offensive typing; but it has more than 2 weaknesses. It's weak to: Steel, Water, Grass, Fighting, and Fire (mitigated by Thick Fat, but it still can pack a punch). It also has few resistances beyond Ice (thanks to thick fat) and Electric (A nice immunity, but it's weak to coverage moves on 2 of the 5 main electric types [Flash Cannon on Magneton and Surf/Focus Blast/Grass Knot on Helioisk, Overheat/HP Grass on Rotom-H and Leaf Storm on Rotom-C]). It's also, like Golurk, nerfed by Knock Off, but it still retains average bulk after being knocked off. Hippo is generally a better wall, but Ice priority and the ability to run max attack without needing to invest in defense/SpDef is very helpful. Dragon types are slowly becoming more common in NU (and are becoming very dominant and will be until more fairies are released), so the Ice typing is very beneficial and the most used Dragon type, Noivern (rip Drudds reign although it's still in the tier, rip Goodra's even shorter more dominant reign), is quad weak to a Piloswine's priority move (Surprisingly, Noivern is bulky enough that it has a 30% chance to live at Full Health).

2. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

Personally i'm against moving mespirit and espcially piloswine up atm.

The meta has gotten a lot more bulky/durable this gen and eviolite users which are very prone to being worn down dont seem to fit very well for me, while mespirit just seems a little too well rounded

as a bulky poke, mespirit suffers from having no recovery and not all that spectacular bulk, while it's movepool is solid i guess. However, uxie does this better imo. Access to heal bell and a few other moves, considerably better defenses and better speed make up for the lower satk stat. Let's face it, defensive mespirit isn't gonna be hitting very hard, so the satk advantage isn't a big selling point.

Offensively, I dont see mespirit being much of a threat. It doesnt exactly have the typing to threaten the tier, or the stats, and it doesnt particularly have anything it revenge kills or switches in on. It's movepool is perfectly suited for the role, though, both physically and specially. With u turn, healing wish being great options for a choice set focusing on either side of the spectrum and moves like t bolt, psychic, ZHB, knock off at its disposal it definately has the movepool. I'm just saying it doesnt seem to have too much of a presence.

Also, i'm against lanturn moving up. It's bulk seems somewhat meh to me (its defenses arent too great, despite the HP stat) , with most of the bulk coming from it's resistances. Aside from that, it lacks recovery, and restalk isnt a great option imo for a long list of reasons, it also lacks offensive presence with its low satk and not particularly powerful (bp wise, or covrage wise) stabs. It's typing is also a double edged sword, where it does well against the likes of fire types, water types and electric types which can make a large chunk of the offensive metagame, it is very weak against a number of walls such as vileplume, amongus and the likes. It even loses to the likes of vaporeon, milotic etc if it doesnt run rest (it fails to KO them and burns from scald will wittle it down while the opposing party can heal up) and has a hard time switching into the likes of hippowdon with any confidence.

Arceus_17 likes this.
  3. Health

Health Champion of LU

I'm an advocate of Kecleon moving up into a tier of its own. K tier, as it is the only tier capable of showing the fact that it's the most versatile Pokemon in the tier.

4. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

>Versatile
    >Kecleon
    > 2 Good sets (and TR sort of)
    Many moves no mean many uses

I agree with Trak on Lanturn and to a certain extent on Mesprit. However I don't think Mesprit deserves quite as hard of a time as you give it. Mix 105/105 offenses are hardly "lacking presence". With the appropriate move and LO Mesprit threatens a 2KO on almost everything except random AVers like Gallade (if it's not running Psyshock). Admittedly LO Mesprit can't come in on a whole lot of stuff, that is a big limitation.

Piloswine though. Are you suggesting such a god Pokémon should remain unranked?
    I can understand not wanting it as high as B rank. But saying "against it moving up" means you think it's too bad even for D Rank ;_;
    Anyway I'm still adamant that Piloswine is B or B- standard myself.

5. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

I didn't mean piloswine should remain unranked, just not be ranked as high as you put it, i think somewhere in C is good.

As for mesprit, i was meaning that it's not exactly something every team fears as soon as it sees it, sure it can score 2HKOs on stuff, but it not only needs the correct moves (while it is limited to 4 move slots) but it misses out on a lot of OHKOs which open it up for retaliation.

Also I think the kecleon thing was a joke, that being said i think its defensive set is a bit underrated. The offensive set is a bit trash imo. That spdef, recover and great support movepool shouldnt go unnoticed. While protean gives it a niche in it's ability to change type for a favourable matchup. Just running moves like toxic to give it poison typing (alongside usual uses) can give it a defensive edge against fighting types and such

6. Health

Health Champion of LU

what joke

7. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

@Suigetsu Hōzuki - That seems like a post for the NU suspects thread.

As for the new arrivals, my thoughts on the ones I've used:

Tangrowth: A. Great physical wall, good Assault Vest user thanks to Regenerator, can also be a good Choice Specs user thanks to STAB Leaf Storm and Regenerator. Faces stiff competition from Vileplume and Amoongus, but has a niche due to Knock Off and lacking a Psychic weakness. Let down by poor Special Defence.

Zoroark: A+/S. With Porygon-Z gone, it's one of the best special attackers in the tier. Vast movepool, great Speed and Special Attack and an ability which could potentially give you a lot of opportunities (your opponent won't know when Zoroark's coming or what it'll be disguised as), Zoroark is a great addition to offensive teams. It's a versatile Pokémon too - it can run Choice sets, a mixed set, or sweep from either side with Nasty Plot and Swords Dance. It is frail as hell though.

8. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

I think this thread needs remaking what with all the new megas.

9. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Doing so would be ok, but then you'd have to completely remake it in 2.5 months when everything rises and drops everywhere, and then again make significant edits for various bans which are bound to happen making some mon less or more useful.
    More appropriately a new thread need be made as this thread is fairly suitable for the XY NU metagame as it was left, with a few edits.

Fuzzysqurl likes this.