1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Gen 3 Other] New to Competitive, Need Team Advice - Gen 3

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by dresden_88, Jul 31, 2014.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. dresden_88

dresden_88 Warden

Hi guys, new to PO and new to Competitive play. I grew up playing the games and pretty much went on about it with general type coverage since it was all in-game rather than against other players. Now with all of the stuff I've been quite interested in learning out how to build a good team for PVP with friends and the local gaming shops. I'm pretty open minded for any and all salient suggestions, I'm more than able to handle criticism. I also hope you guys can be more helpful than the group on (one of those other forum sites), no one has been helping there. I'm sure that playing 3rd gen has me at a bit of a disadvantage with everyone's time schedules and attentions. Please help me out.

Without further Adieu, here is my current team!

Aerodactyl (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Return

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Aromatherapy
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss

Cloyster (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Shell Armor
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Spikes
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf

Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Ice Punch
    - Thunderbolt

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Explosion
    - Meteor Mash
    - Earthquake
    - Sludge Bomb

Weezing (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Pain Split
    - Haze

Team Roles:
    Aerodactyl;

As for aero's moveset and role, I wanted to take advantage of what I had learned he does best; pummels the hell out of people with a mix of high speed and brute force. HP Flying and Rock Slide for STABs and Return for a heavier attack than double-edge while maintaining the Pressure ability as a trade-off. Additionally, I have designated Aerodactyl as my opener/lead to get as much damage pumped out as possible in a short time.

Blissey is a mixed role between special wall and cleric. She has an excellent special defense stat and has the ability to slow down and disable those nasty sweepers via Thunder Wave.
    I went with her moveset for a pretty simple reason, in every RPG type game i've ever played outside of pokemon, clerics are a blessing. Aromatherapy hits the entire party, which is fantastic for the Rest users if i had to switch them out while sleeping or dealing with other team disabler/shufflers. since her attack stat sucks, I chose seismic toss as a guaranteed damage move. it is reliable and it is consistent regardless of modifiers, and wont be a detriment to the rest of her moveset. Softboiled is because any good cleric needs to take care of themselves too.

Cloyster;
    This pokemon serves mostly as a tanky spinner, and functions as a spiker/spinner in the event that I need to start playing dirty. I went with a high sp defensive stat to grant additional endurance to act as a mixed wall as well.
    cloyster's moveset was a matter of mixed blessing. her primary function was based on being a spinner and a spiker. due to things like STABs, i chose the strongest attacks that were not hyperbeam and went with ice beam and surf. great damage and accuracy, and does wonders against dragons (looking at you salamence).

Gardevoir;
    gardevoir will always be a staple in anything I do, but with just cause. she has a great degree of versatility and a frightening potential as a special sweeper due to type coverage in attacks and calm mind. I've found she makes short work of unprepared dragons by using calm mind and ice punch.
    gardevoir's set was built entirely around sweeping and coverage. i am well aware of the potential of "bolt beamers", in her case, ice beam does not seem to be a legitimate answer, so ice punch is second place. never underestimate the benefits of moves like calm mind, after 2 or 3 CM's, she can start surviving special attacks like she's blissey, and she can hammer away even harder with her boosted special attacks.

Metagross;
    I chose metagross for this team for a few reasons, one being, I really needed a physical sweeper that is highly resillient and has a large variety of resistances as well. Does nicely against steel and electric types.
    i found this moveset in particular to be quite interesting. since the biggest concerns to me seem to be dealing with other steel types, especially aggron, it has earthquake to answer in reply. meteor mash for an extremely vicious STABbed move, is also appreciated with the strong attack stat. sludge bomb was there to cover the additional option of heavy damage + poisoning. After a bit of consulting with members of the competitive community, I had come to terms with dropping agility for explosion as a backup plan, as well as switching to choice band to really help metagross flourish. it seems to have been a wise chance.

Weezing;
    I chose weezing because this team was lacking certain...lurking mass that can mix up some status effects and annoy people to death, and weezing has found that unique niche as my team's "black ops". I have found that making heavy use of Will-o-Wisp was a great way to scout opponents for held items like Lum Berries that could be used for securing that single-turn rest/heal, as well as slowly chewing away hp's. sludge bomb was a fairly obvious choice due to its high attack power and bonus for STABs. haze just makes things a bit fun for stalling and disrupting a baton-passer team. evil right?

EV Corner:
    aerodactyl; i chose aero's ev's because i felt abusing the choice band, high speed and already high attack to be a wise investment. +atk and +spd are aero's best pals in my opinion.

blissey; her ev's were picked to improve her overall durability and help her handle physical attacks better than a pure-special wall, as well as push her HP to the moon (700+ hp!)

cloyster;
    her ev's were used to turn her into a durable, mixed type tank. slow, i know, but it sports a good defense stat, and enough hp to do some dirty work.

gardevoir; her ev's were picked to ramp up her speed and enforce her already supurb sp. attack for heavier hits.

metagross; agigross' ev's were directed towards giving it enough speed to keep pace with and surpass average speed pokemon and throw off enough damage to KO most pokemon with 1 or 2 hits.

weezing; the gas-bag's ev's were chosen purely for "bulk". i am certain that weezing was build purely for function rather than speed. a bit of passive-vengeance was the mind-set i had when I picked these ev's.

After a bit of heavy experimentation, I've concluded that one of my loose ends might actually be with metagross, metagross' moveset, or just the role all together. So I may or may not be putting them on the chopping-block. Gardevoir has proven herself yet again as a crippling special sweeper, so, she's staying for certain.

With that said, do I have a good team to start with, or should I considering scrapping and starting over?
    Does anyone have any bits of advice on how I can tweak the team? I'm all ears (eyes in this case)!

Cheers!

[edit]
    i've dropped skarmory, ninjask and forretress from the team and replaced them with cloyster, weezing and aerodactyl. i feel that this was a wise choice.

(updated on August, 1, 2014 @5:10am)

proud to announce that I now have a win/lose record going now :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. fitzy

fitzy Heart of the cards Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey sorry to hear about your back luck on getting help from other sites. If you want help from here your going to have to follow the rules first. Teams need an importable and 3-4 lines of description per pokemon. PM me changes if you want this unlocked.

Edit: Thanks unlocked

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  3. dresden_88

dresden_88 Warden

thanks for helping me get my team fixed and appropriate for posting fitzy, and thanks for being patient :)

4. Cowboy Dan

Cowboy Dan Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Cowboy Dan
    Hello again! this team might have some trouble with certain variants of gengar, namely taunt willowisp versions, or even the rare sub puncher, an easy remedy to this is just to put ice beam over thunder wave on blissey. You can put some evs into special attack as well, as blissey really only needs evs in its physical is defense. HP and special defense evs only increase it's bulk marginally, meanwhile putting evs into special attack can increase its damage output by a huge amount. I even opt to run max spA with a modest nature on my calm mind blisseys. You don't need that much, but at least enough to guarantee the ko on salamence would probably be good. Speaking of gengar, a gar of your own could also help a lot, as it blocks rapid spin, making your cloyster more useful, as well as the pokemon supported by spikes. A bulky spread would be recommended, here is one I've been using that's been very good for me.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 32 SpA / 56 SpD / 80 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Taunt

This can deal with earthquake snorlax, which metagross might have trouble with, and is a very effective spin blocker. The evs are my own. it has 303 speed which puts it ahead of most of the things you'll want to outspeed anyway, enough special attack to guarantee the ko on 4hp mence, while also ohkoing 116 hp mence in sand. The defense and hp evs allow it to always survive a +1 hp fly from salamence, and also make it so a burned lax shadow ball does relatively little (like 35%). The special defense evs help when dealing with blissey, as ice beams will do very little (20-30% depending on evs) they also allow you to take stab psychics from things like celebi, jirachi and claydol. Thunderbolt and ice punch are obvious coverage moves, while willowisp and taunt have some neat synergy. Not many things like taking willowisp, an when coupled with taunt and spikes it can be quite deadly. For example, blissey switches in to gar on spikes, takes the willowisp, tries to softboiled to get some health back, and gets taunted, so it can't softboiled, and it takes more burn damage, then you switch to metagross, and it has to switch out not having healed. Same with lax except better because it hates burn even more. Offensively it still carries its own weight, even with the reduced investment.

Hope this helps!

Moderators: Edna, fsk