1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Skeleton] Froslass

Discussion in 'LU Analyses' started by Aurist, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

[​IMG]

== General ==

* Despite Defog nerfing hazard stacking in general Froslass puts in work in LU as it still beats all prominent defoggers 1v1 and spinners are still common
    * Does what it always did - abuses its high speed to stack Spikes, potentially stop other hazard users with Taunt and if played right pull off a Dbond kill
    * Almost everything with Froslass is mind games and she's high risk high reward - if you predict well you can get multiple layers of spikes, prevent opposing hazards and even take out an opposing pokemon. It won't always go that well though
    * Still hard to keep alive and now this time you actually want to keep her alive in a lot of circumstances
    * Almost no offensive presence thanks to 80 SAtk but Dbond mitigates that somewhat

== Spiky Lady ==

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Ice Beam / Icy Wind
    - Destiny Bond

* Often a "lead"
    * Max speed to outspeed a majority of the tier - watch out for Aero
    * Max satk just to allow additional damage with Ice Beam, it won't KO much but every little helps and EVs are useless in other places
    * Set up as many Spikes as you can when you're confident you can keep them up cos Froslass basically will die
    * Taunt when you see incoming opposing hazards - or to prevent status moves which try to circumvent Destiny Bond or set up on Froslass
    * Ice Beam hits important defoggers like Gligar and Flygon, and is just the most reliable STAB move if you want to tack on damage to something
    * Icy Wind can be useful for support or pulling off a Dbond vs fast powerful leads like Azelf
    * Destiny Bond is for when your sash is broken and the hit will kill you (the hit will most likely kill you).
    * 4 Sdef is simply there to stop Download boosts

== Other Options ==

* Shadow Ball over Ice Beam is an option if you're worried about Steels but by and large Ice Beam is the way to go
    * Thunder Wave can sometimes be more useful against more out-and-out offensive teams
    * Toxic to further help break walls
    * Scarf set which is extremely weak but catches Krook and (m)Aero off guard (often KOs Krook, doesn't KO (m)Aero)

== Checks/Counters ==

* (m)Aerodactyl in general
    * Mid/late-game Defoggers/Spinners will render Froslass basically useless unless you save her yourself
    * Entei often stops more than 1 layer due to Sacred Fire burn
    * If you don't predict a set up sweeper like Durant, Doublade etc you're a bit screwed
    * Scarfers will also prevent more than 1 layer
    * Multi-hitters like Cinccino and Cloyster are problems thanks to breaking the sash - Cloyster particularly is a mind game thanks to not wanting an early sweep

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Proof

Proof Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Proof/Agufmo/Omfuga
    Icy wind can be slashed to 2hko and scare off things like mega aero, scarfed krook, or azelf. After you icy wind these pokemon, you can threaten them with a destiny bond, or proceed to set up spikes on the predicted switch.

Otherwise, froslass doesn't have any other viable sets. Approved 1/3

3. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    it's kinda rare but cinccino will only allow froslass to setup hazards 90% of the time idk if you want to mention that or not

approved 2/3

4. Aurist

Aurist I do not jump for joy. I frolic in doubt.

Added a thing about Cinccino (and mentioned Cloyster too)

5. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    Mention Taunt prevents Defog too.

Also it may be a bit gimmicky but I've ran Scarf Krookodile with Beat Up before to beat sash Azelf and Froslass leads, could possibly mention it alongside other multi hitters. I've seen Beat Up Ambipom quite commonly too.

Machamp/Doublade/Kabutops/Mega Banette can all prevent 2 layers and avoid D Bond mind games by bringing down to sash and killing with priority, maybe mention alongside Entei.

Durant setting up on you isn't really an issue since you outspeed and can D Bond.

Could also possibly mention Xatu mind games.

Other than that, approved 3/3