1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Skeleton] Druddigon

Discussion in 'NU Analyses' started by Weavile, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

[​IMG]
    Shoutouts to Pedro for the godlike image.
    General:
    When taking a look at Druddigon's stats, the first thing you're going to notice is the long bar that reads "120" for its attack stat. This is definitely Druddigon's primary draw, with STAB Outrage alone it becomes an infamous wall-breaker, but to complement this it has a wide move pool including perfect coverage to supplement Outrage, a strong priority attack and even a number of useful support moves. Druddigon's attack stat isn't the only thing it has going for it though, while it's 77/90/90 bulk isn't anything particularly marvelous, its typing in combination with this leaves it able to survive the vast majority of the tiers attacks comfortably, and gives it the ability to easily switch in on Fire-, Water-, Grass-, and Electric-type moves with ease, this can make Druddigon usable for a few support roles as well. To further complement its well rounded stats, typing and movepool, Druddigon also has 3 abilities which help it fill its different roles. Rough Skin assists defensive and offensive alike sets in racking up damage, while Sheer Force and Mold Breaker provide their own benefits to offensive sets.

Durddigon's main drawback would be its speed tier. While it's not overly slow, and with a little investment it'll be out-speeding almost all defensive Pokémon, against offensive teams it will almost always be taking a hit before it gets to attack which can lead to it getting worn down rather quickly, that said it's likely to be taking something with it as well as it is easily capable of OHKOing the majority of offensive Pokémon.

Choice Band:
    Druddigon (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd or
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Sucker Punch
    - Earthquake / Fire Punch / Sleep Talk
    - Gunk Shot / Dragon Claw / Sleep Talk

This set aims to take advantage of the excellent coverage and raw power granted by Druddigon's movepool and STAB type. Outrage is your primary move and it's going to be dealing huge damage to all non-resists and most resists as well. Either a fairy or the bulkiest of Steelix or Bronzong are required to be able to switch into Outrage. Sucker Punch is a useful move for allowing Druddigon to stop some rampaging offensive mon that don't commonly pack non-offensive moves such as Cinccino and Noivern. Earthquake and Fire Punch are your choices for Steel types. Fire Punch will 2HKO Bronzong, but will fail to 2HKO most Steelix, where Earthquake will 2KO all but max defense Steelix reliably, but is unable to hit Bronzong. The final move slot is recommended for Gunk Shot, but if you don't fear Fairy-types Dragon Claw is a more reliable Outrage, however the drop in power is significant. Sleep Talk can be used over either coverage type to allow Druddigon to better deal with grass types like Vileplume and Amoonguss.

In terms of team support, Druddigon requires nothing special if it has all of its coverage moves. If it lacks one of its coverage moves due to packing Sleep Talk or Dragon Claw in one of the slots then it will require assistance to break through the appropriate Pokémon, Magneton can be used to trap Bronzong and Klinklang, but it will require Magnet Rise to be able to deal with Steelix. Fairy-types have no reliable trapper, however they are used to check a number of Pokémon such as Sawk and Gallade, so packing one of them alongside Druddigon can quickly result in a worn out Fairy-type check, even without Gunk Shot. In general, Druddigon appreciates Spikes and Rocks as support as it allows it to break through some bulkier Pokémon such as Vileplume without having to take their attacks first.

The EV spread given is to outspeed uninvested base 55s, which includes Omastar, Exeggutor and Golurk. This is mostly for Omastar as avoiding a Scald or Ice Beam from defensive Omastar will leave you a lot healthier than the few extra HP EVs you'd get by creeping a lower speed tier. That said, if you wish for better general matchups you can run a spread with 24 speed EVs to outspeed 4 speed base 50s such as Vileplume and leave yourself with a bit more overall bulk.

Life Orb:
    Druddigon (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spd
    - Outrage / Dragon Claw
    - Sucker Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Gunk Shot

This set is another side to Druddigon's wall breaking potential. With Sheer Force and a Life Orb, Druddigon's coverage moves will be hitting harder than they would do with a Band, however Outrage with this set is notably weaker and will no longer be able to 2HKO stronger walls like physically defensive Hippowdon and status afflicted physically defensive Milotic.

I'm struggling to write anything else for this so. If someone else has more experience with LO Druddigon I'd appreciate the help.

Bulky/Support:
    Druddigon (F) @ Rocky Helmet / @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Glare
    - Dragon Tail
    - Sucker Punch / Roar / Earthquake

- Very solid physical bulk, but still doesn't appreciate some of the stronger attacks such as Toxicroak's Gunk Shot.
    - Glare allows it to put a stop to a bunch of offensive mon.
    - SR is SR
    - Dragon Tail racks up damage with hazard damage and Druddi's big attack stat.
    - Sucker Punch is its usual self, allowing for clutch kills on some frailer mon.
    - Roar allows you to phaze fairies and mon with subs, is also 100% accurate.
    - Earthquake gives you option of a reliable attacking option that doesn't leave you with one-type coverage.
    - Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet allows Druddigon to punish physical attackers hard for hit-and-run tactics. Most notably it will "OHKO" a Cinccino that attempts to use Tail Slap.
    - Leftovers gives you some extra longevity as it always does.

OO:
    - RestTalk
    - Has a bunch of special attacking options but most are weak. Fire Blast and Draco Meteor are the only ones worth use for certain teams.
    - Snatch can be a nasty move if used correctly.
    - Taunt can help bulky sets against defensive teams.
    - It learns Hone Claws but is too slow to use it particularly well.
    - Makes a respectable Assault Vest user.

C&C:
    - No Counters, only tears
    - Physically defensive Bronzong and Steelix can come in on Outrage, but lack any non-leftovers recovery bar the rare Rest.
    - Life Orb set finds an extra check in physically defensive Hippowdon.
    - Bulky sets are extremely difficult to OHKO or switch into but a lot of the more powerful attacks in the tier will cleanly 2HKO if not resisted, since it lacks recovery it can be worn down somewhat quickly. Non-Rest or Taunt sets are easily out-stalled by defensive teams.

General:
    - Big Attack
    - Pretty big bulk, made really useful by its typing.
    - 3 abilities, of which 2 are good. Rough Skin and Sheer Force being the more useful two.
    - Weak special attack, but Sheer Force LO can make it usable for one or two moves.
    - Great movepool for what it does
    - Low speed tier. This is somewhat helped by Sucker Punch but still a hindrance.

Choice Band:
    Druddigon (F) @ Choice Band
    - Outrage
    - Sucker Punch
    - Earthquake / Fire Punch
    - Gunk Shot / Dragon Claw

- Speed EVs given to outspeed 0 speed base 55s (Eggs, Golurk and Omastar). Can run a bulkier spread and go for 4 speed base 50s with 24 EVs.
    - Outrage is your primary offensive move dealing outstanding damage to everything that's not a fairy, a physically defensive Bronzong or a Steelix.
    - Sucker Punch is priority for those clutch kills. Can be a pain to be banded into
    - Earthquake and Fire Punch are for the steels, Earthquake can 2KO all but the bulkiest of Steelix and Fire Punch will 2KO Bronzongs but not most Steelix.
    - Gunk Shot is for fairies, it destroys all of them.
    - Dragon Claw is a more sustainable Outrage, it can be useful but is often lacking.
    - None of Druddigon's "checks" really pack reliable recovery. So wearing them down is fairly easy.
    - Doesn't need any specific team support, hazards are helpful to score some OHKOs on bulkier mon.
    - Sticky Web and Paralysis can be helpful though.
    - Can run Mold Breaker to reduce the switch-ins to Earthquake. Rough Skin is preferred however.

Life Orb:
    Druddigon (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    - Outrage / Dragon Claw
    - Sucker Punch
    - Fire Punch
    - Gunk Shot

- Gunk Shot and Fire Punch hit harder with this set than they do with Choice Band without Sheer Force
    - Outrage is still powerful enough to 2KO most Pokémon but will miss the chance to 2KO some bulkier mon like physically defensive Hippowdon.
    - Dragon Claw is an alternative to Outrage if the idea of being locked in is unappealing. But the power drop is very noticeable.
    - Fire Punch hits steels.
    - Gunk Shot now destroys fairies even more.
    - Speed EVs for neutral base 55s

Bulky/Support:
    Druddigon (F) @ Rocky Helmet / @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Glare
    - Dragon Tail
    - Sucker Punch / Roar / Earthquake

- Very solid physical bulk, but still doesn't appreciate some of the stronger attacks such as Toxicroak's Gunk Shot.
    - Glare allows it to put a stop to a bunch of offensive mon.
    - SR is SR
    - Dragon Tail racks up damage with hazard damage and Druddi's big attack stat.
    - Sucker Punch is its usual self, allowing for clutch kills on some frailer mon.
    - Roar allows you to phaze fairies and mon with subs, is also 100% accurate.
    - Earthquake gives you option of a reliable attacking option that doesn't leave you with one-type coverage.
    - Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet allows Druddigon to punish physical attackers hard for hit-and-run tactics. Most notably it will "OHKO" a Cinccino that attempts to use Tail Slap.
    - Leftovers gives you some extra longevity as it always does.

OO:
    - RestTalk
    - Has a bunch of special attacking options but most are weak. Fire Blast and Draco Meteor are the only ones worth use for certain teams.
    - Snatch can be a nasty move if used correctly.
    - Taunt can help bulky sets against defensive teams.
    - It learns Hone Claws but is too slow to use it particularly well.
    - Makes a respectable Assault Vest user.

C&C:
    - No Counters, only tears
    - Physically defensive Bronzong and Steelix can come in on Outrage, but lack any non-leftovers recovery bar the rare Rest.
    - Life Orb set finds an extra check in physically defensive Hippowdon.
    - Bulky sets are extremely difficult to OHKO or switch into but a lot of the more powerful attacks in the tier will cleanly 2HKO if not resisted, since it lacks recovery it can be worn down somewhat quickly. Non-Rest or Taunt sets are easily out-stalled by defensive teams.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    ZoroDark and Insane Soul like this.
  2. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Use Mold Breaker on Band Druddigon. It gives you the ability to smash Bronzong and Weezing with Earthquake. It also lets you KO Pokémon through Sturdy. Certainly, it's more useful offensively than Rough Skin. Using Sucker Punch on a Choiced mon is a bad idea, as it gives your opponent easy set up opportunities. I'd change that set to Outrage, Earthquake/Superpower, Fire Punch, Dragon Claw.

3. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I have almost no reason to hit Weezing with EQ it's easily 2KO'd by Outrage and EQ only OHKOs min def Weezing 18% of the time without rocks (93% with) and nobody runs min def Weezing. Bronzong is a semi-legitimate reason to use Mold Breaker but as I said it lacks recovery and can't really beat you without Toxic. Toxic is common on Bronzong but if it lacks Reflect or Protect to go with it you're still winning a 1v1 by spamming Outrage unless you're unlucky with confusions. Sturdy mon are rare. The 2 most used are Shucke and Steelix. Neither of which can you OHKO anyway nor do you OHKO Golem 100% of the time. Sawk is about 50/50 Sturdy to not Sturdy and won't be switching in on you, if it's a 1v1 Sawk is faster anyway and is going to take Rough Skin damage unless you're running Sheer Force. Magneton does get Sturdy but the majority are Magnet Pull or Analytic anyway.

Sucker Punch I like having, and it's common on Banded sets. Perhaps its debatable though. But I would vote to keep it. But what is the benefit of Superpower?

Insane Soul likes this.
  4. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

Hitting the Steels that resist your STAB, also hits Balloon users. Slightly more powerful than Earthquake too, but actually looking more at the tier I think OO would probably suffice. You should only click Outrage once you know there are no Steel and Fairy types left, so hitting hard without being locked in is always a plus. Mold Breaker and Sheer Force are better for the Band set because they help offensively, which Rough Skin doesn't. Being locked into Sucker Punch is basically sending out an invitation for every boosting sweeper/hazard setter/wish supporter/cleric etc. to come in and do their thing, so you should change it for either another coverage move or Dragon Claw.

5. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Hitting the steels that resist Outrage is true, but you don't OHKO any of them that EQ wouldn't OHKO and Superpower only gets weaker. You talk about Sucker Punch leaving you as fodder, Superpower is almost as bad.
    Also I've seen 2 Balloons ever in NU, one of them was a Magneton (lol) and one was a Toxicroak (lol).
    You say Rough Skin has no use on an offensive set but Druddigon might still be switching in on U-Turns and such, it still has to tank hits since it's pretty slow this kind of thing can quickly rack damage on opposing Pokémon, if Sturdy or Levitate Pokémon that Mold Breaker mattered for were more common I'd consider it more. However Mold Breaker might see more usefulness with the drop of Milotic (Marvel Scale) that is likely coming next month, we'll see.

I'll wait for more comments on Sucker Punch.

Insane Soul likes this.
  6. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

i told you this on server but sleep talk is really, really cool on cb druddigon. in combination with outrage + gunk shot/fire punch, with sucker punch as a third move you have 1/3 chance to fuck up the dumb grass types sleeping you in the first place.

superpower is dumb

sucker punch is a must imo

7. Insane Soul

Insane Soul Griffith did nothing wrong.

PO Trainer Name:
    Insane Soul
    Superpower is just an example of people not fully adapting to a new generation and sticking to old movesets instead of broadening their horizons. Ferroseed was used specifically for Ferroseed and now it is able to hit that (1.39% usage on ranked) and Miltank, while being setup fodder for the many Ghosts and Poison types in the tier, as well as some notorious Psychic-types like Sigilyph and Xatu. As it is well known, Sheer Force doesn't ignore a move's negative boosts, so that doesn't help either.

About Sucker Punch, the thing about Druddigon is that its coverage moves may fall short in some situations, but they get the job done against certain pokemon. Sucker Punch is a good move against a rampaging sweeper that lacks Substitute and along with Rough Skin it may rack up enough damage to kill it. Earthquake, Superpower, Gunk Shot and Fire Punch will certainly be resisted by some pokemon, but its ok because the main focus on Druddigon is the 120 BP move that meets its foe on a number of Fairies, Steelix and less by Bronzong and Eviolite Magneton.

About the ability, Rough Skin definitely has use even for an offensive set, being a Sturdy breaker and racking some damage on U-Turn users, like Weavile said. On top 20 alone, here are the pokemon who commonly use contact moves and health by touching Druddigon: Banette, BlackGlasses/Band Spiritomb, Toxicroak (to an extent), Cinccino (who gets 5 separate recoils when using Tail Slap), Xatu (in the form of U-Turn), Scrafty, Hitmontop and Virizion. So mostly Fighting-types, and while Druddigon isnt exactly a safe switch-in, it helps hinder their sweeping potential if needed be.

However, i can see some reason in running Mold Breaker, for the simply fact that it reduces switch-ins for Earthquake against the already mentioned pokemon, as well as Eelektross and Rotom (Fridge and regular). Sheer Force is ghastly for a Band set and should only be used if you have the option to switch between moves (which is to say, with a Life Orb).

8. Arceus_17

Arceus_17 Avoid eye contact

PO Trainer Name:
    [Brief]A_17
    I would just like to add the following point.
    Isn't Druddigon a good Assault Vest user, having good natural bulk, typing, great attack stat and access to a strong priority move?

Holding AVest, it can switch safely in some of the tier's strongest special attacking Pokémon (Typhlosion, Heliolisk and Victreebel for example) which is great. It even learns Pursuit to trap those mons. (tbh Pursuit should be considered very carefully since it raises an enormous 4MSS)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Weavile likes this.
  9. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I honestly hadn't considered this. It seems like it'd be pretty useful on paper. I haven't used it before so I'll try it out, I'd like to know what others think of it too.
    Not sure about Pursuit tho.

I asked Cased who (according to him) created the set, he thinks that it's a relic of the Delphox metagame (especially the pursuit part) and that it's not so great anymore. However I personally think it could find a good place still so I'll look into it more.

10. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Wrote up general and the first set because QC are dead. Wrote a bit for LO but I don't have all that much experience with it yet so I'm struggling on my own.
    Will write up bulky set and OO etc another day or later.