1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Inverted Battle] Diggersby Suspect

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by sulcata, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Discuss the effects of Diggersby on the Inverted Battle metagame and the possibility of banning it. Post intelligently based off of experience in the metagame. Posts based off theorymon risk forum infractions.

Attempt to find the checks and counters (or lack thereof) for Diggersby as well as its impact and power in the metagame. Do not simply say "it's broken" or "it's not broken". Back up your arguments on why you think it should be banned or not.

If a consensus is reached, the result will likely be implemented in the metagame. Happy suspecting.

2. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    Just gonna throw up some of my previous posts from the general suspect discussion to spark some discussion here.

Initially, I believed that Diggersby, despite being the most suspect worthy Pokemon in Inverted, was not broken; however, the more I thought about it, the more I began to believe it was broken. Choice Band has no switch-ins outside of Diggersby, so its really just as long as it gets a safe switch-in, something is gonna die. Choice Scarf patches up the mediocre speed and still hits hard, though not as balls-to-the-wall hard as Band. And finally, SashSD will take advantage of the forced switches Diggersby creates to set up and annihilate, and is even better due to the fact that hazards, while still present, aren't as ominpresent as they are in standard play. And with SashSD, a +2 Adamant Diggersby will 2HKO Avalugg

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP/252+ Def Own Tempo Avalugg: 198 - 234 (50.3 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So all in all, I vote to ban Diggersby

3. Avalugg_

Avalugg_ I'm a table

PO Trainer Name:
    La.Avalugg
    nothing checks diggersby in inverted, not even the great wall of avalugg and hippo
    +2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 277-327 (65.9 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

(
    even though rocky helmet is much more common) +2 252+ Atk Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 198-234 (50.3 - 59.5%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery Diggersby at +2 can dent a team until finally revenged. IMO diggersby in inverted is not healthy, I vote BAN

4. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

I am in favor of a Diggersby ban in Inverted.

Diggersby can run many sets effectively and all of them have the potential to have great impact on the game and tier. Not only does Diggersby have a great attack stat due to Huge Power and access to Swords Dance, the non-resisted Normal STAB is very valuable and is what makes Diggersby such a tremendous asset to any team.

Choice Band is a very dangerous set. There is very little that can switch into a STAB Return coming from a Band Diggersby. It becomes a game of foddering something off each time Diggersby comes in. Really, the best bet you're gonna have against this thing is to revenge kill it; which isn't the most successful of strategies when your opponent has 5 other mons that can deal with it.

Choice Scarf allows Diggersby to be a very effective revenge killer while U-turn can be used to gain momentum for the team. Although the power is a little down from the Choice Band set, Diggersby won't have any trouble finishing off a threat. In the late game, Scarf Diggersby can easily clean weakened teams with its non-resisted STAB Return.

As for the Focus Sash + Swords Dance set, it guarantees Diggersby to live at least one hit and retaliate with STAB Return or set up Swords Dance. As shown by the calcs in the posts before mine, even the toughest physical walls in the tier gets 2HKO'd after a Swords Dance boost (which is really easy to get up if you have Focus Sash intact).

5. Veteran Padgett

Veteran Padgett Hex: RNG Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    Arcanine is probably the next best switch-in to Avalugg, and you can see how well it does.

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 178-211 (46.4 - 55%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 178-211 (46.4 - 55%) -- 67.2% chance to 2HKO

As far as Swords Dance goes Avalugg would be one of the easiest Pokemon to set it up on, yet you have to switch Avalugg in to take any of Diggersby's attacks. I haven't seen many SD Diggersby in the tier, but I used to have a team that when faced with Avalugg, I would SD on Scolipede and then Baton Pass it to Diggersby. It wasn't too hard to pull off, and I imagine SD Diggersby would have an even easier time setting up.

6. Windblown

Windblown sable knight

not much to add here

any team without Avalugg is going to lose one of its members to CB Diggersby when it gets in, any team with Avalugg risks losing its physical wall to SD Diggersby, also QA's priority allows it to do a respectable amount to offensive teams even if a lot of their members outspeed Diggersby. It also makes Breloom without Rock Tomb a liability considering Loom can't do anything to it if it's used up its Spore. Also kinda funny how it resists Keldeo's main STABs although it has to look out for HP Poison (lol).

Mega Manectric is probably the most useful thing on offensive teams to at least check it because resistance to EQ + Intimidate + faster and can Volt Switch on it for free momentum but it can only switch in once lol

So yeah, voting ban.

7. Veteran Padgett

Veteran Padgett Hex: RNG Developer Developer

PO Trainer Name:
    Veteran Padgett
    When is the decision going to be made? It's been a couple of weeks and literally no one in this thread is against banning Diggersby.

8. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Literally it's been just over two weeks, the absolute minimum time needed for a suspect discussion. I've been trying to find Raducan and Celebi. to finalize some decisions.

edit: woo post 500

9. sulcata

Okay bumping with a double post.

After discussion amongst the current side metagames leaders and review of the suspect discussion, Diggersby will be banned from the Inverted Battle metagame. This will be effective within 24 hours.

Thank you all for your participation and I look forward to hearing your arguments in future suspects!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.