1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[XY Ubers] Sticky Web

Discussion in 'Team Showcase' started by Fixed, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Fixed

Fixed Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction

Hi everyone, welcome to my RMT. I haven't made one in ages and after my recent promotion to Ubers TL I thought it would be a good idea to showcase one of my teams. It was not difficult to choose the team, this is my far the most interesting and creative Ubers team I have created, and is also very effective. I first created this team to use in POCL, losing only because I made a very stupid mistake at the end. I have also used this team on the ladder, and peaked with it a while ago. Right now the ladder metagame has evolved to be more effective against Sticky Web teams, and the team will not do as well anymore. This team still has a fantastic matchup against many common playstyles though, and I especially hope to show you that there is still a lot of creativity possible in XY Ubers, as the metagame has been getting a bit stale lately. Enough talking now though, let's move on to the team.

In depth

[​IMG]

Shuckle (F) @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Sticky Web
    - Encore
    - Toxic
    - Rock Tomb

As this is a Sticky Web team, I obviously need a setter. There are two of these in Ubers: Shuckle and Smeargle. Smeargle has access to Spore and Nuzzle, which often lets it cripple the opposing lead together with setting webs. I chose for Shuckle though, which has two main advantages over Smeargle. Firstly it has less problematic lead matchups, like Kangaskhan and U-turn Yveltal in the case of Smeargle. Secondly and perhaps most importantly, Shuckle's amazing bulk allows it to set up webs more than once against many defensive teams, or come back to annoy the opponent after setting webs. The set is probably the best set Shuckle can use. The first three moves are obviously required, and Rock Tomb is really neat to slow down their lead, especially fast Taunt users like Gengar and Mewtwo.

[​IMG]

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Tail

As with every team, I need a check to Geomancy Xerneas. Even at +1 speed it will outspeed almost the whole metagame, so priority is a great way to deal with it. Mega Lucario is a great Xerneas check on Sticky Web teams, as it's also incredibly powerful and can check Ekiller too. Bullet Punch deals about half to Xerneas, which easily picks it off after any other team member has damaged it before. Swords Dance is sometimes rather hard to set up, but the power of Lucario at +2 is unmatched. Iron Tail is probably the best coverage move, as with Adaptability it's stronger than a super effective Crunch. It's a clean OHKO on Xerneas and at +2 it can do amazing things like 1.5HKOing fully invested Giratina-A after SR. The low accuracy is a downside though, especially on the ladder.

[​IMG]

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Force
    - Shadow Claw

As I am using Shuckle instead of Smeargle, I will need a spinblocker to stop lead spinners. I cannot use Mega Gengar, so Arceus-Ghost was my choice. The Swords Dance set is often associated with new players, but with web support it can be deadly. Note that this is not some funny version of Ekiller, the power of Shadow Force makes Arceus-Ghost a strong wallbreaker. Brick Break is obligatory coverage that also lets me check Ekiller, and Shadow Claw is used in the last slot as a second STAB move because Shadow Force can sometimes be played around. It can be replaced by Stone Edge or Extreme Speed, but I think Shadow Claw is the best choice. A Jolly Nature is used to outspeed unevolved Gengar, and also helps against Ekiller if I don't have webs up and outspeeds -1 Adamant Excadrill in sand. Watch out when using Arceus-Ghost by the way, without a boost it is not so strong and can be Defoged on quite easily.

[​IMG]

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Water Spout
    - Surf
    - Thunder
    - Ice Beam

The team's water resist, again in the form of a powerful wallbreaker. Most of my team outspeeds even Scarf Kyogre after webs are up so I don't need a solid Kyogre switch-in, however a water resist is still needed for lead Scarf Kyogre. Specs Kyogre fits this role perfectly, and applies enough pressure to make it difficult for the opponent to use Defog. The moves and EVs should be self explanatory.

[​IMG]

Landorus-T (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion

Next up is Landorus-T, who provides great synergy with its two immunities and most importantly has access to Stealth Rock which is needed for opposing Ho-oh and sash users. Using Stealth Rock would normally be asking for Defog users to come in and remove all hazards, so I am using Explosion. Not only does it do massive damage to anything that isn't immune, it also prevents Defog due to there not being a target. Earthquake and Stone Edge are standard moves to hit hard with a Life Orb and maximum Attack investment. A Jolly nature also works here by the way, to outspeed some scarfers and Yveltal at the cost of some power.

[​IMG]

Xerneas @ Life Orb
    Trait: Fairy Aura
    EVs: 84 Atk / 224 SAtk / 200 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Moonblast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rock Slide
    - Aromatherapy

Last but not least is mixed attacking Aromatherapy Xerneas, which has two important roles. Aromatherapy is amazing on a team like this, curing everything from annoying burns and paralysis and giving them a second chance to wallbreak or sweep. It also cures my sleep fodder later in the game if I face a lead Darkrai. Xerneas is also very important to check Yveltal, who is a huge threat to Sticky Web teams and especially mine because I run Arceus-Ghost. This is why I run a lot of Speed, hopefully outspeeding most Yveltal, as well as all Landorus-T and base 90 scarfers. I use Rock Slide so I can destroy Sun teams, and HP Fire completes the set to lure unsupecting Scizor or Ferrothorn. The Attack EVs allow me to OHKO 252/0 Ho-oh, and the rest is put in SAtk so I have a nice and strong Moonblast.

Importable

Shuckle (F) @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Sticky Web
    - Encore
    - Toxic
    - Rock Tomb

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Water Spout
    - Surf
    - Thunder
    - Ice Beam

Lucario (M) @ Lucarionite
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Tail

Landorus-T (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
    Trait: Multitype
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Brick Break
    - Shadow Force
    - Shadow Claw

Xerneas @ Life Orb
    Trait: Fairy Aura
    EVs: 84 Atk / 224 SAtk / 200 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Moonblast
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Rock Slide
    - Aromatherapy

Threats
    • Shaymin-S: immune to webs and very fast, huge problem. Xerneas or Lucario can kill it but they can get flinched to death.
    • Yveltal: Max speed offensive versions will hurt a lot. Slower ones can be dealt with much better by Xerneas and Lucario.
    • Ditto: Annoying ladder. Landorus-T can do some nice work in these matchups as it is immune to webs. Ditto is also very annoying late game as you can't set anything up.
    • Random Magic Coat users: Die.
    • Defog Arceus-Poison/Steel: Very annoying, but Encore creates some free turns so try to abuse Kyogre there.
    • Scarf Mewtwo/Landorus-T: God damn ladder.
    • Slowbro: Gets a special mention for giving zero fucks about Lucario.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
    Joyverse, ZoroDark, Raducan and 6 others like this.
  2. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Stunned this didn't get any rates yet, but I can see where people are coming from considering I'm having a hard time coming up with any suggestions myself.

This team's biggest weakness is probably dumb ladder players lol. Max Speed Yveltal as well as fucking Ditto are huge problems but they always are to Web teams. Fortunately the latter is former is rare and you have the satisfaction of knowing Ditto users will lose to any defensive inclined team. That's basically all I can say about this lol, it's as solid as Sticky Web teams get. Good job :)