1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] What instruments do PO play?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Suigetsu, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    Recently been talking to my dad about getting some new guitar stuff (Better amp and pedal for xmas) and was interested in what PO plays.

Do you play (or did you play) any instruments? If so, self taught or lessons? And for how long (or what grade if lessons)?

Personally, I've been playing electric guitar since about July. Rather proud of my progress. Self taught. I am considering learning bass and drums as well, but I'm going to focus on my guitar until I'm confident with it.

2. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

I've played Cello for a while with lessons and such. Although nowadays I don't play it as often as I used to.

I also played Bass (guitar) for a year, but quit that.

3. Ascarotte

Ascarotte Well-Known Member Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

I play piano. I had lessons like 10 years ago, did grade 4 and then it stopped happening. I took it up again a year or two again, because I figured I can play pieces I actually like. I can sight read fairly well and can sing along, so that works pretty well.

It would be nice to be able to play guitar, but I don't really have the spare time to learn to play that as well. Maybe after University. The appeal there for me is that it's portable and works well with popular music.

4. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
    @Kyrk @Artemisa and I are in a 3 trumpet band together called Brasstism

Kyrk likes this.
  5. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    I've played clarinet for 5 years, alto sax for one year, and bass clarinet for a couple months

Also played piano as a child but quit a couple years ago after Grade 8 Piano

6. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Played trumpet for about 10 years, although I've been getting less active in it for the past year or so since the school I transferred back to has no band and a member of Brasstism is across the country.

However, I've been taking guitar lessons for the past 3-4 months, although my instructor specializes in classical guitar while I'm playing acoustic. I still suck, but I'm having fun with it and am anticipating the point when I'm able to perform songs past overplayed crap like Wonderwall and Hey Ya.

7. Manish00333

Manish00333 studyin'

PO Trainer Name:
    Manish00333
    I've been playing tenor sax for around 5 years for my school's jazz band. I also have private lessons once per week, which is lots of fun.

8. RedJoker25

RedJoker25 Resident Lurker Server Moderator Article Contributor Server Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    I played flute for seven years between middle and high school. Got to college, switched to piccolo for marching which I've done for four years now. I spent one semester in a non-audition concert ensemble playing flute but have had class conflicts since then so haven't touched it in a couple of years. I also "learned" to play guitar a long time ago but was never any good so w/e.

9. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

I literally just started learning to play drums- a bit over a week ago. So I'm kinda shit at it obviously, but it's really galling and I don't know how quickly I'll pick it up. It would be nice if I had a kit to practice on, but they're so expensive and I don't wanna spend that kind of money on something that I'm not even sure I'll end up liking

10. Suigetsu

Suigetsu Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Stray Fox
    I was forced into Cello lessons by the school around age 7, I quit at the first chance (the minimum was like 2 years of learning). Didn't fit with my music tastes I guess.

I spent £160 on a Epiphone Les Paul Special-II before I even knew I was gonna stick at it, so if I ever feel like quitting I'll just think of how much money/time I've wasted. Haven't came close yet though, love it.

Acoustic wise, Wonderwall was the first song I ever learned. Since then I've gotten pretty decent at playing acoustic: getting the hang of barre chords, I know all the chords now too. Transitions are still pretty sloppy and I have to practice to get them smooth between barre and non barre chords.

I think the reason I'm finding this easier than most claim is that elec is much simpler, and I built up a sort of familiarity to the guitar playing punk/rock before trying chords, so it wasn't completely alien to me.

11. Rioku

Rioku Not again.

PO Trainer Name:
    Shou
    I took violin lessons when I was like 4. Haven't touched one since I was like 8.

I play piano. I'm entirely self taught and can't read music, so I have absolutely no idea what that grade stuff is. But I consider myself fairly adeptish (I MASTERED THE NYAN CAT SUCK IT WORLD). I'd say the best song I can play is ichiban no takaramono which I learned from a midi, although I've simplified the left hand at parts because I still suck.

As much as I'd like lessons, they take to much money and time.

12. IFM

IFM HODOR HODOR HODOR

I've been playing the drums since High School. I got really into Rock Band during Freshman year and then decided to buy a drumset and learn the real thing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play as much as I want to in college, but I dust off the sticks every time I go home. Also, Rock Band is still awesome, and they better make another one for the next generation of consoles.

13. Combou

Combou New Member

I always wanted to learn guitar but could not. Now that i have started earning, i will be able to learn it.

phoenix jean grey

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. Virizion

Virizion ~ Taste the Rainbow ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Virizion
    I've played Guitar since 2009, so when I was 10, from classical pieces up to new stuff nowadays - I didn't do any Grades past Grade 4, but I still play myself. I've always wanted to learn One by Metallica, or at least the bit before all of the solos. I also play Bass Guitar (since 2013, so last year), mainly write tabs and such for that though. I'm also playing in the School Production Band for We Will Rock You, which is a really enjoyable experience so far.

Going into school bands, whether for fun or for a chance to have some fame in yourself (or both) can be really fun in both the practical side of it and the social side as well. The one I'm in at school we hang around practicing a lot especially at dinnertimes, but we've also made some pretty funny inside jokes such as "Dean" and "The Indian Song (not racist)." :]

15. o c:

o c: Kittyloaf

My first year in Middle School I used to play the flute in music class which was a pretty fun experience despite getting made fun of. Its something I would really like to pick up again in the near future.

During my second year in my new school (Moved to Florida during the summer) In which I started playing the Violin (Which I was pretty bad at). Seeing as I struggled with it the teacher decided to let me try the Double Bass (Which was more suiting for me) which ended up working well. Only drawback was taking it home 2 day's out of the week to practice.

16. Bird Jebus

Bird Jebus Follower of The Helix Fossil

I play Baritone in my High School Marching Band. We got all 1s yesterday at contest ALL SUPERIOR BABY!!!

17. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Goodbye, sweet summer days.

PO Trainer Name:
    Cassandra
    I played trumpet in the school band, first chair, above all the seniors. Man, I coulda gone pro...

18. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

I play Cello, Violin, and Piano. I'm currently a Bass/Baritone in an a capella group.