1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspect Discussion: Slurpuff [Banned]

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Afro Smash, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    [​IMG]

Discuss the possibility of Slurpuff being banned from the ORAS NU tier.

Discuss the viability and power of different sets, any Checks/Counters Slurpuff may have, as well as its overall impact on the metagame.

Post intelligently based on experience in the metagame, posts based on theorymon risk being infracted.

2. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

Never really had too much trouble with this. I'll post very quickly my thoughts for now.

Bellydrum,
    It has speed and power. However it's middling attack to begin with means that if its forced to use a neutral coverage move it may not have enough power (vileplume among other pokemon live +6 return when at full). It is also forced to sacrifice a huge chunk of HP in order to set up. Ik it has sitrus berry but 50% is still a large chunk to lose. Combine that with SR damage and whatever attack you'll be hit with while setting up and you're HP isnt going to be so high. Even without being attack you'll be stuck at around 60% after rocks and a belly drum. I find it often ends up at fairly low health to the point where even resisted priority like suckerpunch is enough to revenge kill it the turn after it sets up.

Calm mind
    This just lacks power altogether before getting a significant number of boosts (I'm talking +3 and greater, especially if the opposing team has a decently specially bulky pokemon). This takes a lot of turns to set up, turns in which you take damage. Sure, there is draining kiss, but that only amplifies your issues with not having enough power. During the turns you need to set up, you're vulnerable to being KOed from the physical side or a strong special attacker. If it's a stall team they can toxic and then stall some turns with a specially bulky pokemon or protect/switching to resitances. Calm mind just doesnt have the offensive presence it needs.

It's bulk while not horrid isn't spectacular, it is vulnerable to even modestly powerful neutral hits. Each set it can run either makes this worse by draining its own HP or providing the turns it needs to be worn down.

3. Purpleseamonkey

Purpleseamonkey PO Alt: y0

PO Trainer Name:
    y0 , y01, y02 , y03
    Slight problem with your understanding of the cm set, they should be running cm/drainingkiss/wish/healbell
    While toxic will have more pp then their heal bell, if you try to stall you will let them set up high and will not be able to wall draining kiss before they run out of bells. Heal bell is seen a lot even on the belly drum set to match up better with stall

4. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

I've never encountered a CM set like that, most run flamethrower etc as coverage. The set you suggested is easy to wall, and if you run a physical steel/poison type it will be no issue at all(the special ones probably wont have any issue either if you switch them in immediately, spammng sludge bombs, flash cannons etc will do heavy damage even after a boost or two)

And no, it will not let them set up a lot. As they will need to keep using heal bell and wish to keep toxic damage from stacking up.

Now, for the record, the slurpluff you suggested had a grand total of... 0% usage. No slurpluff last month ever ran heal bell and wish (except for one which ran leftovers, no set up move and play rough as its only attack). The most used set which ran calm mind and wish or aromatherapy (never both) made up 1.12% of all slurpluff usage. Argueing such a small portion of used sets as the norm doesn't belong in a suspect discussion.

Anyways, the only slurpluff i recall having swept me is the b drum set, either due to the fact it was a surprise (back when i first started seeing it) or due to my opponent's good plays throughout the match, however this hasn't happened with any rate of success that I'd call broken. CM slurpluff has never swept me, it sets up far too slowly.

5. E.T.

E.T. Random Slowpoke Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    While I would agree with Trakyan’s comments on the Belly Drum set for XY NU, ORAS NU makes the Belly Drum set more dangerous by giving Slurpluff Drain Punch. With Drain Punch in the set, the large amount of HP lost from Belly Drum becomes less significant as Slurpluff can restore HP while attacking. Pokemon like Magneton and Avalugg, which can usually counter Belly Drum sets without Drain Punch, are decimated by sets with Drain Punch and give Slurpluff the chance to restore a large amount of HP. Because of this, in my opinion, the Belly Drum set with Drain Punch is broken.

As for the Calm Mind sets, I’ve had the most success with Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Flamethrower, and Surf, but Psychic is a viable coverage move to surprise Poison types. However, the Calm Mind set finds fewer opportunities to sweep than the Belly Drum set because it takes a long time to set up and lacks reliable recovery. In my opinion, the Calm Mind sets are not broken, but they can be very good.

I think Drain Punch makes the Belly Drum set too good, and Slurpluff should be banned from ORAS NU.

Joeypals!! likes this.
  6. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

Poison types counter the bdrum set just as well as they did before, In any case you cant always use drain punch immediately after b drumming which imo is a big issue for it since a priority user can come in immediately after. Also i've never really seen avalug being used much as a slurpuff counter or otherwise, the point about magneton though is valid.

Also, another point about CM. It's the opponent, not the slurpuff user, who decides when unburden is triggered here. This lets them switch in something with outspeeds and OHKOs rather safely (as slurpuff isnt OHKOing anything at +0 or +1)

7. Cosminerul

Cosminerul New Member

Slurpuff hmm. I'll talk mostly about the BD set cuz that is the one I used the most.
    To the part where poison types counter BD Slurpuff just as well:
    +6 252 Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 252 HP / 224+ Def Vileplume: 263-310 (74.2 - 87.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
    +6 252 Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Golbat: 192-227 (54.3 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
    +6 252 Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 218-258 (55.4 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

IK Avalugg is not a Poison type OK?

The only problem with Slurpuff it's the fact that it find hard time setting up but once it sets up it 2HKOs the meta. Ban dis!

8. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Hi.

Due to the overwhelming power of its Belly Drum set, with the newly added Drain Punch being able to tear through former counters in Pokémon like Steelix and keep it safe from priority revenge killing. We have decided that Slurpuff is too much to handle in NU, as a result it will be banned

Fuzzysqurl, Afro Smash and E.T. like this.
  9. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Tier updated to include this ban.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.