1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NU's new Mega Evolutions

Discussion in 'Gen 6 NU' started by Dr. Doom, Nov 11, 2014.

?

Which is your favourite NU mega?

1. Beedrill

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Pidgeot

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Steelix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sceptile

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Glalie

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Camerupt

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Altaria

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  8. Lopunny

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  9. Gallade

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  10. Audino

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

THIS IS NOT A SUSPECT DISCUSSION
    This is a thread to talk about NU's new megas, which ones you (dis)like, what movesets are good etc. Whether any of them are broken or not is not relevant to this thread.

When Banette left NU a few months ago the tier was left without any Mega Evolutions. However, with the upcoming release of ORAS there are now several Megas in the tier all vying for a slot on your team. So which to pick? Let's meet the candidates.

Beedrill
    [​IMG]
    Type: Bug/Poison
    Ability: Adaptability
    Base Stats: 65/150/40/15/80/145

Continuing Mawile's work, Beedrill is another crappy Pokémon given a new lease of life by a mega evolution. With Mega Beedrill, Game Freak didn't bother improving its bulk at all and reduced its special attack to an appalling 15, all in the name of turning it into a powerhouse. I think it's fair to say they succeeded: an incredible 150 Base Attack coupled that with an amazing 145 Speed you can outrun every unboosted Pokémon bar Ninjask (and a few slower Scarf users too), and wreck everything not resisting Beedrill's STABs. Speaking of STABs, Adaptability boosts the otherwise middling power of Poison Jab to a snatch under that of a STAB Fire Blast. On the flipside, 65/40/80 defences are terrible so be sure not to switch it into anything unless you absolutely have to.

Pidgeot
    [​IMG]
    Type: Normal/Flying
    Ability: No Guard
    Base Stats: 83/80/80/135/80/121

Looking to bring some fly spam to NU, Pidgeot's mega evolution is one of those Pokémon that you probably wouldn't think of when putting a team together, but if you do choose to put it on your team it won't be a decision you come to regret. 135 Special Attack is very solid, and thanks to No Guard you can spam perfectly accurate STAB Hurricanes which 2HKO most things not resisting them. Mega Pidgeot is also one of the only Defoggers in the tier that can pull its weight offensively. Unfortunately its bulk is average at best, and Pidgeot's special movepool pretty much ends after Hurricane, Heat Wave and Hidden Power. And while perfectly accurate Hurricanes are nice, bear in mind opposing Stone Edges will always hit too.

Steelix
    [​IMG]
    Type: Steel/Ground
    Ability: Sand Force
    Base Stats: 75/125/230/55/95/30

When Mega Steelix was first revealed I wondered why you'd use it. To be honest I still don't really know why you'd use it. While it is bulkier than regular Steelix, it only has Rest for recovery since it can't hold Leftovers. Sand Force is at best situational (Analytic would've been better), and Steelix is far too slow to use it effectively. I suppose it could run an offensive tank set, but to be honest I'd prefer to use Rhydon in that role: it's more powerful, faster, doesn't take up the mega slot and has STAB EdgeQuake.

Sceptile
    [​IMG]
    Type: Grass/Dragon
    Ability: Lightningrod
    Base Stats: 70/110/75/145/85/145

I had high hopes for Mega Sceptile, and I have not been disappointed. Game Freak did exactly what I was hoping they'd do for Mega Sceptile: buff its attacking stats and push its already excellent Speed through the roof. Grass/Dragon typing is cool, giving Sceptile some alternate STABs in Dragon Pulse and Outrage which have much better coverage than its Grass ones. Said typing removes Sceptile's Fire weakness while increasing its Water and Grass resistances, although unfortunately it also increases its Ice weaknesses. Mega Sceptile's a versatile Pokémon too - it can run special and physical sets equally well. Despite its poor bulk, x4 resistances and Lightningrod give Sceptile switch in opportunities.

Glalie
    [​IMG]
    Type: Ice
    Ability: Refrigerate
    Base Stats: 80/120/80/120/100

Glalie's a Pokémon I've always hated: I don't like its design, it has mediocre stats all round, and generally it's always been outclassed. Enter its mega evolution, and while I still don't like its design, it is much more useful than it has ever been before. Respectable 100 Speed and solid 120/120 attacking stats mean it won't be set up fodder, and while it previously lacked a good STAB Refrigerate has taken care of that: it now has a 198 power Return and a 234 power Double-Edge. Oh, and a completely unprecedented 468 power Explosion. Said Explosion makes Mega Glalie a great offensive Spiker - it can set up hazards, and then Explode before the opponent has a chance to Spin or Defog. Unfortunately though, it is still a pure Ice type. That means a Stealth Rock weakness, 4 weaknesses, and only 1 resistance.

Camerupt
    [​IMG]
    Type: Ground/Fire
    Ability: Sheer Force
    Base Stats: 70/120/100/145/105/20

When the base stats of the new megas were released, I wasn't impressed with the fiery camel and didn't think it would become a threat. That was until I faced one. This Pokémon makes Trick Room teams relevant in NU almost on its own: Sheer Force boosted STAB Fire Blast and Earth Power coming off a 145 base Special Attack maim anything not resisting them, and with the same Speed as Ferrothorn if you can add Trick Room and remove the bulky waters it will cause devastation. While it does have a X4 weakness to Water and a weakness to common Ground moves, it has a useful immunity to Electric moves while also resisting Fire, Poison, Bug, Steel and Fairy moves. It will need a bit of babysitting to perform at its peak, but Mega Camerupt is well worth considering.

Altaria
    [​IMG]
    Type: Dragon/Fairy
    Ability: Pixilate
    Base Stats: 75/110/110/110/105/80

The fact that this thing's being suspected in LU right now should give you an idea of Mega Altaria's abilities. What was once the worst fully evolved Dragon has now become a Pokémon feared throughout the tier. With solid stats in all areas bar HP and Speed, excellent typing giving it 7 resistances and 1 immunity, Mega Altaria can fit on almost any team with ease, as it can run a wide variety of sets ranging from physical sweeper to special wallbreaker to wall. Flaws? Well it's Speed isn't great - even after a Dragon Dance Mega Beedrill and Mega Sceptile still outrun it (although the latter can't touch Mega Altaria anyway), and before Mega evolving it's weak to Stealth Rock. Enjoy using Mega Altaria in NU now: if it isn't banned, it'll probably move up.

Lopunny
    [​IMG]
    Type: Normal/Fighting
    Ability: Scrappy
    Base Stats: 65/136/94/54/96/136

Once a gimmicky Pokémon with one semi usable set, now one of the most fearsome physical attackers in the tier. With nearly unmatched Speed and great (if unboosted) Attack, only the sturdiest of physical walls can risk switching in on Lopunny. Because Scrappy enables it to hit Ghost types with both its STABs, Lopunny can hit all Pokémon bar the god awful Shedinja for neutral damage with just its STABs. Whatever the opposite of 4 moveslot syndrome is, Mega Lopunny has it: after Return and [Fighting STAB] you can do what you want with the other 2 slots. And Lopunny has a smorgasbord of options: Fake Out, Drain Punch, Power-Up Punch, Encore and Healing Wish to name but a few. Despite a slight Defence boost though, Mega Lopunny is still a fragile creature, so don't switch it in unless you absolutely have to.

Gallade
    [​IMG]
    Type: Psychic/Fighting
    Ability: Inner Focus
    Base Stats: 68/165/95/65/115/110

I was happy to hear that Gallade was getting a Mega - after all, Gardevoir got one. It certainly doesn't disappoint: Gallade's biggest faults (its average Speed and poor Defence) have both been addressed, while its Attack has gone through the roof. With a world shattering 165 base Attack, Mega Gallade ties with Rampardos for having the highest Attack in NU. It also manages to pull off a rare trick: coexisting with its original forme. Mega Gallade is better for fast sweeping sets, while regular Gallade is a better bulky booster. And while it may not have any bearing competitively, it has one of the best designs of any mega evolution. I just wish it had a better ability than Inner Focus.

Audino
    [​IMG]
    Type: Normal/Fairy
    Ability: Healer
    Base Stats: 103/60/126/80/126/50

While I may have originally claimed that Mega Audino would be the worst Mega, I will retract that statement. It's the second worst - IMO, Steelix takes that crown. That's not to say Mega Audino's a bad Pokémon: 106/126/126 defences are great by any standards, and Normal/Fairy is solid typing. It can run a decent bulky boosting set with Calm Mind, Dazzling Gleam, Wish and Heal Bell, and it can make a good wall too. Unfortunately though, it will need multiple boosts to hit hard, its Speed is poor and post Mega Evolving Audino loses Regenerator (its one niche over the likes of Vaporeon and Lickilicky as a Wish Passer) trading it in for the useless in Singles Healer. While it can work, it's not a Pokémon I'd ever recommend using.

So in conclusion, those are NU's new Megas. Enjoy using them while you can, as some of them will likely be banned or rise up on the own in the near future. I'm just happy that some Pokémon which used to be complete crap are now getting a chance to shine.

2. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Pretty solid summaries, and I agree that Mega Steelix and Mega Audino are definitely the worst to come out of this batch. I can forsee Mega Altaria getting the boot though alongside Mega Beedrill and possibly Mega Lopunny, with Mega Gallade moving up through usage. That'd leave Mega Sceptile and Mega Gallade to take center stage as NU's main megas, with Mega Glalie being an option to check try to handle Mega Sceptile and Mega Camerupt just riding away in Trick Room style (too bad there's nothing to extend it :/). Mega Pidgeot is pretty middle of the road, and I don't see Mega Steelix or Mega Audino seeing the light of day on a serious team anytime soon.

3. Trakyan

Trakyan Member

I ran TR camerupt. I was amazing.
    That's pretty much all I have to say. Camerupt seems poor on paper, and slap it on an average team and you'll probably see no merit to it, but put it in TR and it is lethal and surprisingly easy to use. It's not bad out of TR as a hit and run attacker, but not quite as amazing as it is in TR.

4. East's Mascot

East's Mascot The Tyrant

My favorite is M-Pidgeot.

Competitively, I feel like M-Pidgeot is gonna need a lot of team support to do well. If you run a Defog set, you're most likely going to be mono-attacking with U-Turn, Roost, Defog, and Hurricane. It can run a 3 attack set, which you can do with Defog/Roost, or plain 4 attack with U-Turn, Hurricane, Heat Wave, and Hidden Power. The problem is that it can't really touch bulky electric types, ie AV Eelektross, outsped by Jolteon who lives any one hit, and it can't really hurt the bulky SpDef waters in the tier either. Most special walls w/ decent SpDef can wall it fairly easily.

"So why do you like it then?"

That design looks godlike :]

Note: M-Pidgeot can tear through offense teams if they aren't prepared and even balanced teams can struggle if their check/counter gets confused on the switch from Hurricane and hit themselves. I'm not saying it's bad, but it's a little lackluster.

Also, pretty sure M-Lopunny can't kill Shedy since it has to be hit w/ SE hits, the immunity didn't matter.