1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Harmonious Rating - New Metagame Proposal

Discussion in 'Pokémon Chat' started by anhJer, Dec 3, 2014.

1. anhJer

anhJer New Member

A New Metagame Proposal

Hello everyone! Thank you for your time reading this proposal. My intentions in writing this is to share some thoughts I have on a fun new metagame that presents a harmonious approach to balancing rather than one of segregation.

The Current State of the Metagame
    If 1 member of your team gets bumped to Ubers, the whole team becomes unusable in OU, and is far to under-powered to compete in full-blown Ubers. This is by far the biggest drawback of the current metagame, and by far it's the most unappealing aspect creating the divider between fun and serious players. Lets be honest here, everyone has a favorite. We want to find a way to play with the pokemon we love, the pokemon we sketch in our notebooks, and use as our wallpaper, but not feel like we're giving up our serious trainer cards.

Harmonious Rating
    The advantages of rated meta over others, is it gives room for community analysis, without community scrutiny. It gives independent tournaments a chance to create their own standard without scrutiny they aren't following a third-party's standard. Trainers will for the first time be presented a chance to use the pokemon they like, rather than just the ones viable in that tier.

Tier lists will still exist of course, and would now receive more welcomed praise rather than criticism, as they're no longer banning someone's star player. Look at a community like Smogon, who was once praised as a community providing in-depth strategy analysis, now continuously scrutinized as a powerhouse controlling the game. This change came with their 'localization' of tiers. I use the word 'localization' because whether casual or competitive, you can't play a friendly 3DS battle without hearing your pokemon was banned from OU. Rated meta will change the way the pokemon ranking system as a whole, and the communities that rank them are publicly viewed.

Pros:
    • Gives virtually all pokemon a chance to be used.
    • Meta can theoretically be played as-is now.
    • Provides a more "open-sourced" approach to meta.
    • Combines tiers.
    • Adds a new layer of team synergy to team building.
    • Better feeling of attachment.
    • Literally putting more "heart" into gameplay
    • Fun and Casual players will find more appeal to this meta.

Rating System
    As a general rule of thumb, pokemon can be held to this rating system if they aren't specifically given a rating
    (e.g.: Nobody would argue Shaymin-S' rating should be equal to Arceus', yet they're both classified as Ubers.).
    NU = 1
    LU
    = 2
    UU
    = 3
    OU
    = 4
    Uber
    = will each be given a rating of their own (starting from 6)

For this example I will be building a team with a rating limit of 24
    Absol
    (UU) (Rating: 3)
    Goodra (NU) (Rating: 2)
    Genesect (Uber) (Rating: 6)
    Azumarill (OU) (Rating: 4)
    Rotom-W (OU) (Rating: 4)
    Umbreon (OU) Rating: 4)
    Total Rating: 23 out of a maximum 24.

Closing Thoughts From The Author
    From both a development, and organizational standpoint this meta is simple to run. The detail comes in the strategy of team building. I think when we play with our friends, we use a Harmonious Rating approach to balance already (e.g.: Ok fine! you can use your Celebi, but then no Blaziken!) Harmonious Rating can co-exist along with the current tier-classed metagame. Nothing would be changed, and in fact a new tier list wouldn't even be needed! Special pokemon who have a special* rating outside of the typical rating system, would simply need a superscript number next to their name; Genesect⁶. I think Harmonious Rating is a great next step in the pokemon metagame, and whether it gets picked up officially, or not will have little bearing on the ability to play it. Since it utilizes already in-place and always updated tier lists, its a very self-sustaining metagame!

Revised Generic Tier List Example
    Pokémon classed as Blah: Catfood, Popcornshrimp⁷, Foxmcloud, Mousepad, Phonecase⁵, Corkscrew, Smashcontroller⁷, Waterbottle, Pillowcase, Gameboycolor

Feel free to link or share this article, and spread awareness if this sounds like a fun new way to play with all your pokemon! I will further develop and refine Harmonious Rating as a 'concept' in the meantime! - anhJer 2014

2. anhJer

anhJer New Member

reserved in case i need it :tongue:

3. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Hi this is a long thought about idea and we even use it (sort of) for an official tour that we run every winter.
    The problem with this is identical to the problems you have listed with the current system, more or less. It's just present in different forms.
    The list we use for the tour is far more in-depth and far more "accurate" than your proposal and it definitely doesn't allow people to "use their favourites" as you may claim, unless their favourites, like mine, are viable Pokémon anyway. (Empoleon, Weavile, TTar). If you want to use Carnivine you still put yourself at a disadvantage over those who use a better one-point Pokémon in that slot.

Of course you can make more divisions so everything has point scores that exactly fit its abilities, but then you end up with far too many tiers and if your point limit is high enough to allow use of the Pokémon in the higher ranks then it becomes non-viable to run the Pokémon in the lower ranks, just like current metagames because your points are far better spent on an all mid-high tier team than a team with a high tier, a mid-low and 4 low tier mon. So either way you end up excluding someone from using something which may or may not be their favourite mon.

Oh and then comes the disaster of tiering the Pokémon. Now the way we and Smogon currently do it is with usage stats, this is a non-subjective measure of viability (to the extent it can be) and makes it more or less fair what drops and what rises to what tiers. But with this, every single Pokémon would have to be tiered on an individual basis. Sure you can make broad generalisations like your tier-based scores do, but you yourself admitted that that would need numerous exceptions. Who decides those exceptions? Of course it'd be a community-run body of some sort. What's to stop user A who was upset when Mega Lucario was banned from OU from being upset when we classify that same mon a couple point tiers higher than he wants it to be. It causes the exact same problems.

You make out shifting metgames as we have now to be some manner of exclusionary evil that stops people having fun by ripping away their favourite threat. Of course if you play Ubers (with very very few exceptions) that's not a problem. Unless your favourite mon is Swagger Klefki or Mega Rayquaza (both of which you can use in "OR/AS" on PO or "AG" on Smogon's sim.) But then you can't use Carnivine in Ubers right? That's excluding you from using your favourite combo of Carnivine/Groudon. Well it's probably 100% safe to say that the shitmon of choice (Carnivine as an example) probably isn't going to do much better in this metagame than it does in Ubers. Of course I've seen mon like Sawk and Hydreigon do work in Ubers in the right hands, but some things are just never going to be usable with others no matter how you try to divide it.

You would be restricted to using sets of Pokémon based on how many points you were arbitrarily assigned. So if you have a 6 point tour you can use all your shitmons and have a fun ol' time. But you can't then use Tyranitar, and you know what, I like Tyranitar. The way we currently ensure that the maximum number of Pokémon can see some manner of viable use is through the usage and banning system we currently use. It actually does a very good job of letting you use what you want and get use out of it. I think next gen we're gonna need a new tier to deal with the power creep and let some things still be good, but for now you can use a good proportion of Pokémon that have some degree of viability.

Your small rant about people complaining that Mega Kanga or whatever mon you use in Wifi Battles is not OU is sort of entirely irrelevant given that people will still complain even if this tiering didn't exist. They'd think Mega Kanga gives too large of an advantage to their opponent and would complain about it anyway. Which would have the same validity considering Wifi is not tiered save for very few bans. That they name-dropped Smogon in their complaint doesn't mean their complaint wouldn't exist without Smogon or other competitive communities.

Fuzzysqurl likes this.
  4. anhJer

anhJer New Member

wow what a detailed response! thanks.
    i disagree 6 ou are better than a mixed team, but i know how we could settle this! *cue battle music*

to answer your question
    I think "harder to obtain" will always be more welcomed than "unobtainable" :tongue:

the rest of your post seems to be about balance, but the part you did mention about using "shitmons", I have no problem lattering in OU with an UU team, i think the 'U' should stand for mis"U"nderstood (cheesy right? lol).
    edit: Under-Understood! LOL

You're a mod for a statistic driven forum, so i dont think ill be able to persuade your opinion in writing. a would propose we have a battle following the point system above, i think theres something's that can only be shared thru battling!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. IFM

IFM HODOR HODOR HODOR

I'm moving this to Pokemon Chat since I think it will be more appropriate there.

6. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

That would depend on specific Pokémon choices. Many great teams run Suicune, Chesnaught, Raikou etc in OU. But these are a minority, very few (or 0) successful OU teams run Vileplume for example. It's just a matter of what can work and what can't in whatever state OU happens to be in. Only a very inexperienced player sees that Suicune is UU and thinks it must be bad in OU because of that.

Everything in Ubers (with the previously mentioned exception(s)) is obtainable. You said yourself that your team becomes "too under-powered to work" when your OU mon is banned to Ubers.

I also have no problem with laddering with a decent UU team in OU or NU in LU or w/e. It can be fun sometimes. But unless you are particularly resilient to losses you can do nothing about you're probably not going to enjoy using an NU team in OU or UU very much for example. Simply because the Pokémon in that tier aren't able to deal with some of the bigger threats effectively and if they do they have very little overlap in threat coverage so you cannot beat everything, or even most things, like you can with a team using OUs.

This point carries into the example I gave of 6 point game as well. Let's just up it to 9 points and say that Arceus is 9 points because it's the best Pokémon in the game. You can run a team of mid tier and low tier Pokémon, or you can run a team of a high tier and 5 low tiers. Or you can just run your own Uber and 3 low tiers.
    Your opponent has chosen Arceus. But what Arceus has your opponent chosen? Perhaps it's EQ/Shadow Claw Ekiller with a Life Orb. Well if you didn't happen to blow 50%+ of your budget on a Skarm, Yveltal or something similar, or decide to run Sturdy Sawk. Then that's unfortunate. But then what if you ran Skarm or Yveltal and your opponent decided to run Calm Mind Elec-Ceus. That's a bummer for you because if you spent your budget on Skarm or Yveltal you probably don't have enough for a good Eleceus check. But ok if you managed that do you also have a check for Flyceus, Grassceus, Ghostceus. It becomes a lucky dip what threat you happened to buy a good check for, even if you charge a lot of points for it. This exists to an extent in normal Ubers, but the pool of resources open to Ubers players is much larger and more free so they can cover a large percentage of threats, if not all.

You'll be surprised what words can do if they're the right words.
    I have played a similar metagame to the one you are showing me in the official tour I mentioned, and it is functional and can be fun. But I am merely arguing that I don't think it achieves what you think it achieves. Especially with as simplistic a score system as you have proposed. (and I've already pointed out the problems with using a larger tier system with more categories).

Fuzzysqurl likes this.