1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suspect Discussion: Altarianite

Discussion in 'Gen 6 UU' started by meeps, Dec 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    [​IMG]
    Discuss the possibility of Altarianite being banned from the ORAS UU tier.

Use this thread to discuss Mega Altaria's effect on the metagame. Talk about different sets it can use, possible partners and team support, and potential checks and counters. State your opinion on whether Altarianite should be banned or if it should stay in the ORAS UU tier.

All opinions are valid and discussion among players is not only allowed but encouraged, provided your opinion has solid reasoning and displays having playing with or having playing against Mega Altaria in the tier. Do not simply state "it's broken" or "it's not broken".

Theorymon is not a valid argument and should not be used and may result in an infraction. Posters should also address other posters' arguments, not the actual posters themselves.

If a consensus among players cannot be reached by the end of the suspect discussion period, a vote will be held.

Virizion, Aurist, JeyTheGrey and 2 others like this.
  2. Just Do It

Just Do It No one cares

PO Trainer Name:
    Just Do It
    Mega Altaria [​IMG] [​IMG] 75/110/110/110/105/80 Pixilate

I see a Strong/Rare Typing with 8 resistances, 4 weaknesses (Poison/Steel/Fairy/Ice), great Ability & above average Bulk.
    Let's see some Sets that he can run:

Altaria @ Altarianite Lv. 100 -- Natural Cure

Nature: Adamant - EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

• Return
    • Dragon Dance
    • Earthquake
    • Roost
    This is the most dangerous set M Altaria runs & it has a solid Coverage as well. It can set up pretty easy, and he also has access to Roost for possible Sweep Potential.

There are some others sets that I've seen:

- Mixed set with Fire Blast (Great option vs Steels such as Forretress)
    - Bulky Sub DD set (Don't know these Evs, probably HP invests, also nice vs Stall teams)
    - Special set with Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Ice Beam/Hidden Power (Unpredictable set, but not as effective as the DD set)

Other questionable moves: Heal Bell (Status doesn't necessarily mean defeat)/Refresh/Facade.

Checks & Counters
    I'm only going to discuss his 1st set, since that one makes him suspect worthy in UU.

- Forretress: Highly used at the moment in Oras UU. With these new Mega's who can blame you. Solid check vs M Altaria since it can tank Earthquakes/Returns and easily 2hko's with Gyro Ball. It fears the commonly used Fire Blast though.
    - Jirachi: The HP/Atk set can tank 1 hit at full health and Iron Head/T-Wave it back.
    +1 252+ Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 318-376 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    - Doublade: Also a nice check. EQ can 2hko after a DD, but Gyro Ball ohko's it back.
    +1 252+ Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Doublade: 150-178 (46.5 - 55.2%) -- 69.1% chance to 2HKO
    - Bronzong: Another solid check. It resists Stab and Earthquake won't work with Levitate. Gyro Ball is a 2ohko.

And that's pretty much it... (Im not going to discuss ridiculous low usage checks like Weezing with WoW/Haze)

Nidoking/Victini/Empoleon and others who resist Return gets ohko'd by +1 Earthquake. There are some bulky pokes who can tank a neutral +1 Return (Suicune/Cresselia/Porygon2). They can try to Burn/T-Wave him, but you still lose that poke (maybe more) anyways.

We still got some other checks (mainly Steel) such as M Aggron/Steelix/Klefki/Def Rotom-H, but M Altaria doesn't have to stay in on those threats. I mean, why should you if M Altaria has strong partners (Specs Chandelure/Nidoking/Hydreigon).
    They can easily take care of the every Poke that tries to check him. I've battled a lot with these pairs, and it seems really hard to counter Altaria after his check is gone. I feel like M Altaria always breaks a hole in a early game or sweeps late game anways. It forces me to run specific types mainly to check him alone.
    It out speeds almost every UU Poke at +1. Scarfers with higher base Speed then 80 out speeds him, and some other Pokes in Mega stage like Beedrill/Lopunny/Aerodactyl/Alakazam. Most of the Scarfers & faster Mega's (Except Scarf Jirachi, which is also used more these days) can't ohko M Altaria back. They lack a super effective Stab (Hydreigon/Victini). It resist most Priors too, except Ice Shard/Bullet Punch which are pretty rare and doesn't ohko at full health (Weavile/Lucario/Metagross). That realized me that it's not so easy to Revenge kill it. It doesn't mind the SR weakness before turning Mega, since it has a reliable way of healing with Roost.

Conclusion
    In my personal view, I'd say ban M Altaria from Oras UU duo to his great Typing with overall Bulk, Hole Break & Sweeping Potential (It can easily set up 1 DD, since he Resist most basic Types) & the lack of Counters/Checks it has.

M Metagross next? :]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. ThatMushroom

ThatMushroom The Spirit Molecule

There isn't really much to add to Soop's post, people who are against Altaria getting banned would've posted by now. I think it's fair to say people are for the ban, I'd like to add the mono-attacking Heal Bell/Roost/DD/Return set though because that is really difficult to take down. It's usually paired with Magneton or Chandelure (sometimes both) which trap or pressure Steels which are like the only things that can handle Altaria, but other than that I can't think of anything else to add. Its typing is insanely good, it sets up on a large majority of the tier, it's really hard to revenge after +1 Speed and hits really hard with +1 Pixilate boosted Return. So yes ban.

M Metagross+M Sableye next ples

4. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    ok yeah this isn't really going anywhere

so due to mega altaria's excellent defensive typing, bulk, and access to recovery, it is capable of setting up dragon dance very easily. along with this it has a great attack stat and the ability pixilate which allows it to use very powerful return/frustration attacks which can ko numerous pokemon at +1, and can deal with some checks with earthquake. mega altaria overall has limited counters, aggron, forretress, and bronzong being among the few pokemon which can consistently handle it.

with all this in mind, altarianite will be banned from the ORAS UU tier

Purpleseamonkey and Aurist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.