1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Real Talk] Will the United States ever have a Muslim or Atheist President?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fiery Espeon, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Fiery Espeon

Fiery Espeon The fire never bothered me anyway ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    Explain your thoughts on the matter presented: Will the United States ever have a Muslim or Atheist President?
    Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Muslims in general were criticized, attacked and hated in the United States. Since atheists started to appear in the United States, they were generally criticized for having no "faith" or religious belief. It was established in the Constitution of the United States that the President could be of any faith or religion. So it is not very Farfetch'd that a Muslim or Atheist could be President.
    Is the United States ready for a President that is a Muslim/Atheist?

Would people vote for a Muslim/Atheist?

What are your thoughts on Muslims and Atheists in society, if they contribute, harm, etc?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

Will they ever have one?
    Probably already had an Atheist one, or two. They're politicians, they lie. As for an openly atheist one, unlikely in the near future. Christianity has a pretty good stranglehold on the voting population of the US right now. You say it's not "Farfetch'd" it definitely is. Considering this is a country where some people still think the constitution only protects the religious freedoms of Christians. It's definitely not likely. It is merely not impossible.

Would people vote for a muslim/atheist?
    Yeah Muslims, atheists or just people who like the policies will. Will the majority of the voting population? No probably not. Most of them still think one or both of those groups is of the devil and that one or both of them is incapable of being good because they don't 420 praise it every day.

My thoughts on muslims and atheists? That's a very broad and off-topic question.
    Well I am one of the latter so I guess the former. Umm, they're people like any other, they believe something I don't that I think is preposterous but they're just people.

Fuzzysqurl likes this.
  3. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

It's kinda sad that "people who like the policies" and "the majority of the voting population" are mutually exclusive when theoretically, the policies a candidate plans to implement should comprise the bulk of a person's reasoning for voting one way or the other imo. If one candidate's policies are clearly better for whatever you consider most when voting (the world, your country, yourself, etc.) then that candidate's religious beliefs should be largely superfluous.

Anyways, I agree with Weavile, but I'd like to point out that the proportion of people in the US who identify as non-religious is increasing, so in the long-term it's entirely possible that we could have an atheist president in USA. Muslim is a bit of a different case, since afaik there's no growth trend for muslims in the US (I'd speculate it's the reverse if anything, but that's just me talking out of my ass), so it instead comes down to tolerance of other religions. Which is a bit dicey, because on the one hand, you've got globalisation exposing ppl to different cultures and shit, which promotes tolerance of different belief systems, on the other hand, you've got terrorism and the fact that it's so readily associated with Islam (for various reasons), which obviously discourages tolerance of muslims

4. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

Will the United States ever have a Muslim or Atheist President?
    If they openly state their beliefs as they are campaigning, probably not in the near future. Many Americans are against the thought of a non-Christian denomination leader.

Is the United States ready for a President that is a Muslim/Atheist?
    Idk what you mean by "ready" but in the sense that the general public will accept them? Probably not for a while.

What are your thoughts on Muslims and Atheists in society, if they contribute, harm, etc?
    I hate the stigmas that surround certain types of religions and cultures. Just because a group of people from that religion did terrible things, it doesn't mean that the rest of the people from that group are the same way. We should just look at people as people and not what their religion/race is.

So no, I think Muslims/Atheists can contribute/harm society just as much as every other person in the world.

5. Big Bad Booty Daddy

Big Bad Booty Daddy Big Poppa Pump

PO Trainer Name:
    -
    America can't even lock up Gucci Mane in jail and prevent him from dropping five mixtapes lol how could we possibly we have a muslim or atheist president and how the fuck are atheism and muslim connected. Might as well ask if America is ready to have a Latino President or a President made solely out of blueberries and dairy products wtf is this thread

Kyrk, Samphire, MetalGross and 3 others like this.
  6. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Dude I'm like 98.52% sure it's more about the idea of a non-christian president than drawing a connection between islam and atheism. The real question is why aren't we discussing whether the US is ready for a buddhist president?

Space-Medafighter-X likes this.
  7. Fiery Espeon

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    Ortheore is correct. Both Muslims and Atheists are not popular in the US, especially now, for obvious reasons. They're hated so much by the Christian majority in the country. Older Christian voters ( mostly rednecks), where almost everyone said that they would not vote for a Muslim or Atheist President. However, the younger Christian voters, said if the candidates had views/stands that they agreed with, they would vote for that President. Not to mention, a lot of Americans have not seen a real Muslim, which makes them believe the things that Fox News tells them. People who live in big cities (New York, Atlanta, LA) have seen Muslims before. The media manipulates facts, as always. This is comparable to when John F. Kennedy was running for President, and everyone was asking him about his religion. The media were putting bad light on him, well because he was Catholic. He still managed to win, and became the first Catholic President. Also, what I mean by "ready", is the FBI, CIA, Congress and the people ready, to have a leader that is not Christian? Or will society just break down, and they'll be riots everywhere?

8. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

can you explain to me what seeing a real Muslim has to do with believing things that Fox News tells people

let me know if you can establish that connection, i could get a big research break with this

ZoroDark and NAVIDAD PIRATE like this.
  9. Fiery Espeon

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    @Michu If you have a Muslim friend, or have a Muslim colleague, your more likely to be exposed to the truth, or what Muslims really are. If you are only exposed to Fox News, where all of their stories refer to Muslims in a bad way, one way or the other, then you'll have a larger misconception of Muslims than if you meet them in person. Basically, news stations create stereotypes, this also applies to atheists.

10. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

or perhaps it's less about "seeing" Muslims and more about intelligent individuals being intelligent enough to recognize that news about Islamic extremists is not representative of Muslims as a whole

news stations create stereotypes? how about just news creates stereotypes? Fox News isn't creating stereotypes out of thin air, it's the fact that currently violent extremists are doing terrible things in the Middle East (and perhaps around the world as well).

also atheists aren't oppressed if you're trying to get at that

"all of their stories refer to Muslims in a bad way": http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/09/30/why-im-glad-nfl-called-audible-on-muslim-prayer/

yes we get it fox news is shitty, most news is shitty

11. Fiery Espeon

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    Fox News was just an example of a news provider. Atheists aren't treated in the same manner as Christians are. It's the people who decide to stereotype people. I see you chose an opinion article, try to find a mainstream actual news article that will put Muslims in a good light. Some people are not that intelligent and believe whatever they're being told. It's like racism toward African Americans. People were taught to do that.

12. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

atheists aren't treated in the same manner with regards to what???

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...s-condemn-madman-gunman-illridewithyou-trends - mainstream news isn't filled with uplifting stories about islam because 1. everyday occurrences of people living normally doesn't sell newspapers and 2. because Islamic extremism is currently a major issue that is affecting the world. Of course Muslims won't be portrayed in a good light considering that there's basically a war between the Shi'ites and Sunnis and terrible events are taking place in the Middle East.

yes, Muslims should be treated the same as everyone else. yes, atheists should be treated by everyone else. are they? maybe not Muslims and perhaps greater awareness is needed. but i would say atheists are definitely not discriminated against if that's what you are getting at ?_?

meeps likes this.
  13. [OG] Swanna Lady

[OG] Swanna Lady Y.......Yo......You.....YOU'RE FAT!

PO Trainer Name:
    [OG] Swanna lady
    America hates Muslims as they are patriotic as f**k (don't argue with me)
    America is a 100% Atheist country (don't argue with my logic)

America's presidents will only ever be Atheist and they will never change

14. Raducan

???????

I know this isn't the most serious of threads given the responses that we've had but ???????

Please tell me what led you to those conclusions.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    Finchinator, Strudels and Ortheore like this.
  15. [OG] Swanna Lady

[OG] Swanna Lady Y.......Yo......You.....YOU'RE FAT!

PO Trainer Name:
    [OG] Swanna lady
    The fact that they are american led me to that conclusion

16. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    Being that the heavy majority of presidents aren't anti-Muslim (in fact, I cannot think of many instances of any governmental figures being openly against Muslims recently), a heavy majority of Americans aren't atheist (there's some statistical backing to this, too), and a heavy majority of American presidents aren't Atheist, either, I'm inclined to argue with your logic.

Also, saying something like "the fact that they are american led me to that conclusion" is about as stereotypically insensitive and ignorant as it gets, if you think about it (not to insult you or anything, but it truly is). What you're doing, although without harmful intent, is saying: The fact that [insert X group of people] are [insert same X group of people] leads me to believe that they are [insert stereotypical trait]. You lack any first-hand knowledge, actual facts, or anything with substance whatsoever. I understand that this isn't the most serious, intense, and lively discussion out there, but there's no excuse for aimlessly posting something like this as can lead to no good and is only a poor reflection on yourself as a poster.

Ruzan Jamaleddin likes this.
  17. Space-Medafighter-X

Space-Medafighter-X Tohjo

PO Trainer Name:
    Tohjo
    I don't think there will be a Muslim president of the USA for another two centuries. The Muslim community is still debating whether or not Shariah Law should even exist in modern times.
    I don't know how to do a spoiler
    [​IMG]

Insane Soul likes this.
  18. Ruzan Jamaleddin

Ruzan Jamaleddin HiddenConstellation

Maybe it's possible?
    I'm a Muslim myself and I respect the fact that most of the people here aren't judging Muslims by what a certain group did.
    I think it's possible for there to be an atheist president, but probably one who doesn't judge an entire religious group based on a certain group in that religion. I honestly don't get how terrorists and the sort could call themselves Muslims.
    Same for a Muslim president, if there should be one then it'd be someone who doesn't force people into a certain religion, nor make a war or something based on religious terms, it should be a president who leaves the country alone and religion alone.

I just noticed I'm late for this :x

19. Fiery Espeon

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    You're not nice :(

20. Raducan

Wanna explain why?

21. MidwayMarshall

MidwayMarshall woof Forum Moderator Developer Forum Moderator Developer

Jefferson was not a Christian. Johnson never even aligned himself with a religious group. Lincoln never talked publicly about if he was Christian.