1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS OU] specs dragonite

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by iBlue, Feb 23, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. iBlue

iBlue New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    iBlue/El Testo
    Been a few years since i posted anything on this forum, so welcome back the awesome iBlue, ty ty.

Anyways, when having made a quite well-working OU team that was actually UU but won me two OU tours with 16+ players in succession but that had horrible weaknesses to rather common mons I had to play around or sacrifice something that I actually needed later on, I decided to convert this to OU keeping the main concept behind it which was getting rid of threats rather fast with specs Victini and M-Aerodactyl that both didn't do quite the things the opponent expected. Victini's specs boosted blue flare did massive damage to about anything and potential Ferro or Lando-T switches on Aerodactyl were abused with ice or fire fangs.

This made me think of an alternative to Victini that did as much or more damage but didnt have the problem of dying as fast. The perfect candidate for this was specs Dragonite which had both the surprise potential and power of specs Victini and massive bulk with multiscale even without sp./defense investment.

Team building process:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I initially chose the first five to fit into an OU team, the other one from the UU team (which I actually dont even remember) being not really as useful as they are, and added Heatran because I used this together with Chesnaught before and that core usually worked rather well.

After having played with the above team for a while I noticed a considerable weakness to Azumarill and a few other common threats and I decided to replace M-Aerocactyl which didnt get that many kills further up in the ladder with Rotom-W that checks/counters quite a lot of things that threatened me before.

Now having the mega spot empty and Venusaur fitting perfectly in there I replaced Chesnaught. This is was the team looks like now.

The Team:

[​IMG]
    Dragonite (F) @ Choice Specs

Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake

Yeah... this one is my lead, or better anti-lead because it literally rapes any common leads anally in seconds. Rotoms are meteor'd, Landorus-T and other flying stuff dies to ice beam, Ferro to fire blast and.. I guess you know what I'm saying. Calm nature + Earthquakes are for opposing Heatrans which could instead easily set up on it. Apart from this Dragonite obviously does tons of damage even if the foe knows that it's specsed and can also pack a punch in case the defensive core isn't really complete any more.

[​IMG]
    Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd/ 4SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Double-Edge
    - U-turn

Why did I choose this over Talonshit? Because it doesnt die immediately if you throw rocks on it and it isnt weak as fuck. It does more damage and got better coverage with close combat as well, making it obvious why anyone should prefer Staraptor. Also, revenge killer, end game cleaner etc.

[​IMG]

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunder Wave

Pretty standard Rotom set I guess.. Fits together very well with Machamp, making enemies slower than that with twave, and Venusaur/Heatran forming a fire-water-grass core, which can sponge quite a lot of damage if used properly... Other common Rotom uses should be obvious.

[​IMG]
    Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis

As Rotom still didn't really get rid off Azumarills, I made the Rotom specially defensive and replaced the Chesnaught with this one here. Having more bulk and more reliable recovery than subseed naught (despite lacking the leftovers), it also got a better typing and more overall bulk and gets rid of fairies with Sludge Bomb. Initially I couldn't decide between giga drain and leaf storm, but chose giga drain because it hasn't got the annoying sp atk drop and a little recovery. Leech seed obviously provokes switches which other team members can take advantage of.

[​IMG]
    Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Protect

The final part of the team's defensive core is Heatran, because it got near perfect defensive synergy with Venu and Rotom and the fact it is able to set rocks. Heatran is the main mon in this team that takes profit of the lead's ability to OHKO opposing Rotoms and Landos, making the setting of rocks much easier. Staraptor takes profit from entry hazard damage in many cases, because of which I replaced wow with Roar.

[​IMG]
    Machamp (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Substitute
    - Knock Off
    - Bullet Punch

Anyone playing UU should know that this one is annoying as fuck. Not only in UU though, Machamp is pretty underrated imo and overly useful if used in combination with t-wavers such as Rotom. Standard procedure is: Predict switch on something weak to fighting, sub, dyn punch and hope for confusion. This can get you quite some kills with some luck, having even haxed me through entire teams several times. This one doesn't really do anything else than waiting for opportunities to hax though, apart from maybe bullet punching fairies such as M-Gardevoir when they're under 50%.

This team isn't anywhere near perfect though, being extremely weak to: M-Gardevoir, sub-protect-Gliscor, M-Medicham, M-Metagross and some other mons I don't remember.

I saw some people posted songs in their RMTs, so enjoy.

Any help with this team is appreciated and I hope you like it anyways.

importablément
    Staraptor (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Reckless
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Brave Bird
    - Close Combat
    - Double-Edge
    - U-turn

Rotom (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunder Wave

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Ice Beam
    - Fire Blast
    - Earthquake

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
    Trait: Overgrow
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Protect

Machamp (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Substitute
    - Knock Off
    - Bullet Punch

sulcata likes this.
  2. Cayden Ong Xiang Jun

Cayden Ong Xiang Jun New Member

Are you really sure that Machamp is a correct choice? I mean, he is slow, and gets OHKOed by almost every single Brave Bird. His confusion utility isn't ~that~ useful, though, as you said, it can be at times. I feel that the confusion is his only niche, and it just isn't sufficient to me.
    I recommend something along the lines of Jirachi or Skarmory. Jist saying, but I experimented with Scarfrachi and haxed really well. I also tried leftovers bodyslam/ ironhead for an even greater chance. I suppose Togekiss is also possible for its support role. Nice team, anyway! Loving specs Dragonite more than anything now :)

3. Velvet Blood

Velvet Blood Well-Known Member

Maybe make that machamp Assault Vest?

4. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Why do people post in 1 yrs old threads

5. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna