1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] Magic: The Gathering Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nicehat, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

[​IMG]

Also known as the best and most successful collectable card game ever.

Surely there are at least a few people here who have had the good luck and fortune to have played this amazing game, right? Does anyone have any cool decks that they like to play? Or any cards from the most recent set, Dragons of Tarkir, that you think might be interesting to build around?

If anyone enjoys playing, watching, or reading about Magic: The Gathering, or wants to learn about one of the most well-designed games ever, this is the thread to post in!

2. VirajVora

VirajVora VirajVora...

PO Trainer Name:
    Viraj / Virus
    I played Pokemon a lot... Then I found that they are useless in my countries and slowly slowly lost interest... But I still have them...

I still remember during my 5th birthday, I and my friend were trying to take it and my Onix card broke in half...

Somewhere between 8-9 I found that my whole set of 150 cards were lost from somewhere over 1 year or more... Still haven't found it...

At 10 I found that my cousin brother and sister had similar card like mine... But they weren't mine and I used to go there only to play them... They still have it and that's my only thing to kill boreness when I go there... They promised my 10 or more times that they'll give me those cards but haven't given me yet :[

At 11th birthday of mine, I bought my first set of cards who had 9 cards and costed Rs.15...

Around 14 I buyed a whole 60 card package hoping it will have a full game set of a specific type and 25 energy cards... But nope... That was same as other 9 packet cards... Random cards...

Since then till age 15 I collected tons of cards and now I have around 600 of them...

The only thing I like about those cards right now is their designs which show how would world had been if Pokemon were real... (My childhood dream...)

3. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

To be fair if anyone on PO actually knew anything about Magic: The Gathering it'd be pretty confusing why they'd bother with Pokemon battling afterwards when MTG is an infinitely better game

Should have known better than to bother posting here lol

Raducan likes this.
  4. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Ayaya~

PO Trainer Name:
    Hanako
    Hey I once played MTG! Like over 2 years ago, but still.
    I played a Blue infect deck because fun. I only played on Cockatrice though and I haven't touched the game since really. Also I know @Hannah got into a few months back too

5. Rigas

Rigas Active Member

@Nicehat
    No. I used to play Pokemon, and I'm currently playing MTG, and I find Pokemon a much satisfying experience competitive-wise.

6. NaCl

NaCl noided, noided

Because MTG is an infinitely more expensive game

7. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    Magic is a stupidly expensive game, I took a dip with competitive Magic (as Katie said) and my wallet just cried.

I started with the Standard format and built a decent Abzan deck, then slowly moved into Jeskai Heroic Combo/Tokens. I just enjoyed the playstyle and how you can go crazy from cantripping.

I played Tiny leaders too, Alesha was my Tiny leader and she was cool >:I

Right now I sold off my decks to build a new Modern deck, Soul sisters. I'm currently getting parts for the deck, and I'm meeting up some dude tomorrow for then :3

8. RockyRd

RockyRd bap

magic is really fun
    i started playing when i was in grade school with my friends in the neighborhood. we started when kamigawa was the newest set so i had a pretty cool samurai deck. i know me or my brother had an umezawa's jitte and when i asked him about it he said he sold it (lol).
    i stopped playing for a long time after that and recently got into it a couple years ago because another of my friends was getting into it.
    rn i have a neat white weenie deck (human based, has champion of the parish, honor of the pure, etc), nothing competetive but its a fun casual deck. i also have an edh deck (marath, will of the wild, naya). its also a cool deck but doesn't do anything super strong or broken.
    if you couldn't tell im super casual because as hannah said magic is expensive af. even rn to get into standard if you're not playing monored you have to throw down at least $100 easily more for a competetive standard deck, and standard is the least expensive format. not even going to get into eternal formats those are just insane prices.
    but yeah magic is a super fun game the biggest thing that prevents more people from getting competitive with it is the price id say. which is a shame because its really fun

9. Hannah

Hannah Come a little closer

PO Trainer Name:
    Hannah
    The only problem I have with standard is you have to spend 10k~ pesos and it rotates out every few blocks. That's why I started investing into Modern and other 'eternal' formats. I think the most expensive cards for these are the landbase (mostly fetches) and I'm glad they're getting reprinted in Return to Zendikar

10. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

The god damn price of the game is the only thing preventing me from enjoying it more. Before all my friends who played it PCS'd I had(still have) a couple of decks I would use to play with them.

11. Ryanna

Ryanna Out of Unova

Money is a big obstacle, indeed. It's gotten super expensive since I started playing back in the Invasion block which was back in '99 if I remember correctly.

But imo it's gotten more fun.

My Commander deck is my one true prized creation right now. Captain Sisay is the best!