1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS UU] Seems like I actually did something right. O.o

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Spoovo The Pirate, Apr 13, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Spoovo The Pirate

Spoovo The Pirate Meep! Article Contributor Article Contributor

Hai guys. You don't often see me here, and that's mostly because I live in the analysis section. However, I do ladder on occasion, and it looks like I've actually done a fair job with my current UU team:

(13:22:15) ±Porygon: Your rank in ORAS UU is 20/7180 [1310 points / 46 battles]!

While this is probably nothing impressive to the majority of you on here, breaking 1300 is a fairly rare occasion for myself, because I'm well... not very good at it. xD

Anyway, I figure I must be doing something right, otherwise an average joe like myself wouldn't get a decent ranking, right?

Onto the team:

[​IMG]
    Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly nature

- Trick
    - Iron Head
    - U-turn
    - Ice Punch​

Comments: Jirachi here is, more often than not, my wonderful lead. Whilst people do frown upon Iron Head for its hax rate, it's powerful and reliable, and it's rare that I actually use it to flinch something. I've considered changing it out for Meteor Mash, because a 40% chance of boosting its Attack every use is quite alluring.

Trick is there to cripple your walls, like Umbreon, Blissey and friends. I tend to find at least one reason per game to use it. U-turn is standard scouting, whilst I chose Ice Punch over the other two to deal with big threat Salamence. It does leave me completely marooned against Fire-types, and can leave me setup bait against Shell Smash Cloyster (it's happened a few times), but on the whole it's served me well.

[​IMG]
    Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature

- Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell
    - Foul Play​

Comments: Every UU player has seen this setup before. What can I say? Umbreon's my favourite pokemon by a longshot, and they're brilliant walls in the current metagame. Soaking up about any special hit like it's nothing, and even taking most physical hits with ease, Umbreon really is difficult to bring down. Foul Play stops it from becoming Taunt bait or even losing offensive presence, hitting just about anything with a decent Attack stat for good damage. Wish, Protect and Heal Bell are the bread and butter for the set, keeping the team happy and healthy, not to mention stalling out for turns with Protect when needed, helping to scout opponents. Umbreon is often my team's MVP in spite of being a passive pokemon.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-H @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold nature

- Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Pain Split​

Comments: Rotom-H serves as Volt to Jirachi's Turn, and my physical counterpart to Umbreon, tanking physical hits extremely well and hopefully burning the target with Will-o-Wisp. With great synergy between both of them, and an amazing ability to wear down physical targets (Rocky Helmet, Burn and Pain Split racks up really damn fast), Rotom-H is good for both tanking physical hits and softening up opponents for late game cleaning.

But you've all seen this set before, haven't you? Volt Switch is obvious, Will-o-Wisp is staple, Overheat is staple, and Pain Split is staple. Everyone knows this set, pretty much.

[​IMG]
    Roserade @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid nature

- Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power Fire​

Comments: I used to have a SubSerperior here, however it went to OU, so I had to find another Grass-type for my FWG core. And Roserade fit the bill amazingly well. I'm not ecstatic about the Poison typing, due to already having another one in the team, however it tends to help more often than hinder, coming in as a useful check to Togekiss and other things. A deceptively good cleanup sweeper, and Technician HP Fire surprises so many things. I didn't see the point in Natural Cure because I've got a cleric in the tier, so I figured I might as well power up that HP Fire and tear into Steel-types.

Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are fairly obvious, while Shadow Ball's good coverage, hitting incoming threats like Chandelure and Psychic-types pretty hard.

[​IMG]
    Crobat @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Infiltrator
    EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly nature

- Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Taunt
    - Toxic​

Comments: Not your typical Crobat set, I know. Instead of a Defogger, I have a stallbreaker, because I honestly don't care enough about hazards to make the difference. I'd love to be able to squeeze U-turn on here, but can't find room. All four attacks are necessary, and used all the time.

The EV spread's a bit bulkier than the standard, with 232 HP hitting 369, which is one above a Black Sludge number. The Speed is obviously maxed bcus Crobat, and the rest are dropped into Attack to give Brave Bird a bit of a punch. Nothing much to say, really.

I had a bit of irony the other day where, because of Infiltrator, I kept getting flinch haxed by a Yanmega, but that's just irony. I'd much rather hit through Substitutes and defensive screens than not flinch.

And lastly...

[​IMG]
    Swampert @ Swampertite
    Trait: Torrent -> Swift Swim
    Adamant nature

- Earthquake
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Stealth Rock​

Comments: Swampert here glues the team together so well. He's the third part of my FWG core, my VoltBlocker, my heavy hitter, my Stealth Rocker, and my 'fuck you, rain teams!' all in one!

I run a speedy set just for the sake of fucking up rain teams, but it surprises a lot of people too, outrunning all sorts of weird shit like 0 Speed Tentacruel (after Mega evolving), and most defensive Rotom-H sets. Hell, bulky Togekiss is outrun too, which irritates a lot of people when they switch it in, expecting to flinch this thing to death, only to get fucked up by an Ice Punch.

I do lament the reduced bulk (has trouble surviving powerful hits, like Mienshao's High Jump Kick), however I really love just how deceptively fast he is. 239 Speed is pretty amazing for something with as much bulk and power as Mega Swampert.

The moveset's pretty simple, with Waterfall and Earthquake for STAB, Ice Punch for useful coverage, and Stealth Rock because I needed it somewhere. It probably would've been Rain Dance if I didn't, because that would've totally helped out Roserade and Jirachi, but hey.

Closing statement:

Through randomly picking favourites, trying not to overthink the team building process, and literally just throwing teams together, I've created a team that actually works really well in the current UU metagame. Any thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated. :3

Exportable:

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Serene Grace

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Trick

- Iron Head

- U-turn

- Ice Punch

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Synchronize

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Wish

- Protect

- Heal Bell

- Foul Play

Rotom-H @ Rocky Helmet

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Overheat

- Volt Switch

- Will-O-Wisp

- Pain Split

Roserade (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Technician

EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd

IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Giga Drain

- Sludge Bomb

- Shadow Ball

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Crobat (M) @ Black Sludge

Trait: Infiltrator

EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Roost

- Taunt

- Brave Bird

- Toxic

Swampert (M) @ Swampertite

Trait: Torrent

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Earthquake

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

- Stealth Rock

2. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Iirc you can't face rain teams bar Rain Dance move :v

First of, I do believe you need a ghost type: CB Heracross 2hko everything, and ohko anything if status ( yes even Roserade)
    IF by mistake you lose Crobat it eats your team, so you really have to play wisely around that.

Not very fan of Sball on Roserade since it's very very situational and Spikes/toxic spikes support can be even better ( if you add a ghost type+ your crotaunt, you can avoid to lose hazards)

Finaly, I believe you need a spinner, since Crobat and Rotom-H are both weak to SR

But I like the team on paper, goos job :]

Spoovo The Pirate likes this.
  3. Spoovo The Pirate

Yeah, SR weak is a touch prominent, though both have a least some form of recovery, so it's not a huge issue. Heracross is a big problem if Crobat, ScarfRachi and Rotom are all gone, but he is at least manageable. :3

As for a Ghost... the only place I can think of sparing it is Roserade for Gourgeist/Trevenant, as everyone else is nigh on in-expendable. The only problem here though is that it loses me a special attacker.

Thanks for your thoughts though; I've been considering a Ghost somewhere since I put the team together.

4. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

tbh i didnt think you ever used the server lol

I think Natural Cure is still better on Roserade, but idk what extra things base 90 HP Fire nabs. Most of your team isn't very status weak to begin with (synchronize, poison/steel types, fire type, electric type, etc.), but perhaps it works out better on paper than in practice.

If you want Roserade to still serve a more offensive role, you could use Sleep Powder over Shadow Ball to really throw a wrench in your opponent's plans. You still have Umbreon to check chandy at least.

Neat looking team overall. Mega Swampert is awesome :o

Ice Tea likes this.
  5. Spoovo The Pirate

Sleep Powder's definitely a fun choice. I dislike the accuracy of it, but hey, it's better than Focus Miss. :3

And yeah, I was occasionally on the server lol. Just not for long periods of time. xD

6. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Could have suggested a defensive chandelure but it has no way of giving momentum ( Rotom-H > Chandy in this role)
    As for the FWG core, I found it pretty much bad recently in UU coz Mamo+ Mega Mane both destroying these cores, but since you have Rotom/Umbreon these can be dealt.
    So I guess replacing Roserade for a spinner/defogger ( Mew dropped I believed) can help you 100% :]

7. inigomontoya

inigomontoya Slightly Less Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    If you intend to keep Roserade, I might consider Magical Leaf over Giga Drain if you arent in need of the healing because 60 X 1.5 (Technician) > 75 base power. Noone does math these days.

Given the suggestions above, a Ghost type Defogger seems to solve your Defog and Heracruss problems at the same time, but the only one of those that exists in this tier is Drifblim, that may seem not useful. Mew seems to fill the defoggerrer role, while Chandy is a cute ghosty. Pick your poison.

Also, you have found the world's cutest Crobat image. congrats.

8. Spoovo The Pirate

Why thank you on the Crobat image. :3

And I'm aware that Magical Leaf is more powerful with Technician, but I'm using Giga Drain because of the HP recovery, which really adds to the longevity. Magical Leaf may hit a bit harder, but I dunno if it'll net me any important KOs... *shrugs*

Moderators: Edna, fsk