1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ORAS OU Cores and Combinations

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Discussion' started by Celebi., Apr 14, 2015.

Moderators: Draciel, Finchinator, sulcata
  1. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    So I saw this wasn't a thing. Talked to Finch; now I'm making it a thing. Anyway, to start things off:

More serious but kinda fun
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Nasty Plot
    - Baton Pass
    - Giga Drain

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Sludge Wave / Rock Polish
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Rock Slide

This is definitely one of my favorite cores this gen. I talked about it a bit in the suspect discussion but Celebi switches into Keldeo, Rotom-W (Mega) Slowbro, Slowking, Azumarill and other mons that Lando doesn't like dealing with 1 on 1 and either scares them away with the threat of Giga Drain or the ability to set up in their faces. Because Celebi forces switches into these mons, just clicking Baton Pass is a viable option as mons like Heatran, Charizard X and Y, like to switch into Celebi and Landorus just cleanly picks them off, and Baton Pass helps keep momentum up. Nasty passing makes Landorus even more of a threat and once the opponent's checks are weakened (or against stallier teams), it usually just wins games.

Celebi is EV'd to maximize physical bulk as well as be able to outspeed and avoid Pursuit/Knock Off from Jolly Bisharp. Rock Polish can be used on Lando (as well as a bulkier set), but the coverage is optimized for teamwork with Celebi. The EVs are rather self explanatory.

Less serious but exponentially more fun
    [​IMG][​IMG] and/or [​IMG]

Altaria @ Altarianite
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Return
    - Cotton Guard

Terrakion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Poison Jab
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Earthquake

Basically this is all about the lures. With Mega Metagross gone this Altaria set has a lot more room to wreck havoc in OU. Terrakion punches holes in things like Rotom-W, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and weakens or gets rid of them for Altaria. Hidden Power Ice is there to lure in Gliscor and Landorus-T to weaken them so Altaria can sweep late game. Latios beats Mega Venusaur, Rotom-W, hurts Skarmory, and dents Mega Sableye, hopefully to the point where Mega Altaria can come in and just kill it (uninvested does 63-75%), and lures in Heatran. Standard Sp.D Heatran loses 100% of the time to 24 attack Latios after Stealth Rocks.

The EVs should be fairly self explanatory, except for Mega Altaria. I just picked a random spread that I saw and it works. I'm sure it could be optimized better. The only other time I've seen this being used it was 252 HP/96 Atk/160 Spd and I'm not even sure why it was used.

Either Latios or Terrakion can work in this position. It's mostly about the team. They both lure different Pokemon that Mega Alt doesn't like seeing. You could run Bulky DD with Refresh/Heal Bell in order to beat Mega Sableye 100% of the time. Cotton Guard sweeps are more fun though. The EVs are also largely variable. You can set those to fit the team a little better. Defog is a viable option on Latios but you'd probably need to get rid of Psyshock. In that case it could be more helpful to run Zen Headbutt on Terrakion as it is more reliable in hitting Mega Venusaur than Stone Edge.

You could also opt to use a less restricted Mega Altaria set, but where's the fun in that?

2. brocklesnarf5

brocklesnarf5 New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Vi-cage
    You might consider giving Altaria EQ over cotton guard as Return and EQ provide perfect neutral coverage against all types.

:)

3. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    @brocklesnarf5
    I could but Latios is designed to specifically beat the mons that Altaria can't. I said in the post that you could run a less restricting Mega Altaria set, and if you were to run EQ the core itself would have to be changed because of unnecessary redundancy. It's specifically designed to use lesser used moves (HP Ice Terrak, EQ/HP Fire Latios) to lure in Pokemon that beat Altaria so those mons can deal with them for Altaria so it can set up late game.

It's just a difference between when you try to set Altaria up. Both sets work fine but EQ Altaria needs different support.
    Heatran, (Mega) Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Magnezone (occasionally) are all common switch ins to Latios and it has the moves to get rid of them.
    Gliscor, Tank Chomp, Fairies, and Lando-T are common switch ins to Terrakion and it has the moves to dent/get rid of them.
    That's basically what the team functions around.

Reserving for more cores because no one is posting any </3

4. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

You should probably remove the Landorus one, as Landorus-I's been banned. As for M-Altaria, I'd personally go with Heal Bell over Cotton Guard as that means you won't be wrecked by status.

5. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    This should be revived and be a sticky thread it is potentially really good if ur stuck in teambuilding if ur new it could help for a start to start this thread again Im posting two of My fav cores

Defensive core
    landorus T (M) @Leftovers
    Trait:intimidate
    Evs: 252 hp/252 def/4sdef
    Impish Nature (+def -satk)
    -earthquake
    -stealth rocks/knock off
    -u turn
    -rock slide

Heatran @Leftovers
    Trait: flash fire
    Evs: 252 hp/252 sdef/4def
    Calm Nature (+sdef -atk)
    -lava plume
    -toxic
    -Protect/roar/earth power/flash cannon
    -stealth rocks/earth power/roar

The idea is that tran switches into ice beams and such attacks who threaten lando and vice versa with eqs only weakness is water especialy an choice Keldeo wrecks havoc but just ad a latitwin and ur ready to go
    note heatran takes 1 hydro pump from scarf keldeo

Offensive core

Gallade (M) @galladite
    Trait: justified
    Evs: 252 atk/252 spd/4 hp
    Jolly Nature (+spd -satk)
    -close combat
    -psycho cut
    -ice punch
    -shadow sneak

Bisharp (F) @ life orb
    Trait:defiant
    Evs: 252 atk/ 252 hp/ 4 spd
    Adamant Nature (+atk -satk
    -sucker punch
    -iron head
    -knock off
    -pursuit

So here bisharp kills clef and such forcing gallade out latitwins yeah the lists long can trap mega alakazam too wich has gotten some usage lately on the other hand gallade kills dark types and fighting types very well for it the biggest problem for this core is talonflame and its essentially a lose if gallade is in and a 50/50 when bisharp is in

So thats My cores sry if the format was screwed wrote it from My phone

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  6. OUAzumarill

OUAzumarill Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr Snake
    The only flaw I see in your pairs is that I'm confused what the heck you're doing with 2 Rockers on the same team. Landorus would like to have Knock Off, while Heatran would like any of Earth Power, Flash Cannon, WoW, Roar, or Taunt.

7. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    They set up rocks on different
    Things and in some matchups i found that 2 rockers help a lot but Im editing in thoose moves too

8. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    I'd recommend changing one of those Stealth Rock slots to another more useful option. I personally feel like Knock Off on Landorus and Rocks on Tran would make it better.

Anyway:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Houndoom (M) @ Houndoominite
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Dark Pulse
    - Fire Blast
    - Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Sludge Bomb
    - Nasty Plot

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute / Taunt
    - Dragon Dance
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
    IVs: 29 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Defog / Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire] / Defog
    - Earthquake

Super fun core I started using a while ago. This core performs really really well against balance and with a bit of support (Heal Bell and Wish) stalemates pretty hard with stall. Usually you'll have the advantage in that match up though. Against HO it falls a bit flat because it's kinda weak to Mega Lop, Talonflame, (Mega) Zam, and other blindingly fast Pokemon. Mega Houndoom is a super underrated Mega in my opinion and it actually functions pretty well in the meta. It forms pretty solid cores with a bunch of really good Pokemon in OU and has pretty nice utility. Hounodom is base 115 Speed AFTER Mega evolving putting it at a fantastic speed tier, however beforehand it's rather slow and finding opportunities to Mega may be difficult. With Houndoom you have your two STAB moves in Fire Blast and Dark Pulse, which get pretty solid coverage. Nasty Plot to boost a pretty nice base 140 Special Attack stat, and the final slot is mostly personal preference. Taunt helps more against Stall, Sludge Bomb hits random Fairies, and WoW burns things, and that's especially useful when using one of the Lati's as a partner.

Gyarados is used as a partner because they have solid offensive synergy. Gyara sets up on/scares a lot of Pokemon that want to switch into Mega Houndoom, and Mega Houndoom does the same with Gyarados. I opted for the bulky set here but really any Gyarados set will work just fine. Natural Gift + Watmel Berry gets special mention if you can lure your opponent into thinking Mega Houndoom in your only answer to Ferrothorn so you can get a surprise KO.

I'm not really a big fan of 3 Pokemon cores, especially when the 3rd mon doesn't particularly fix a major issue (in this case Talon/Lop/etc are still threats) but because both of these Pokemon are weak to Rocks something that removes hazards is an absolute necessity. I chose Latios on this core because Mega Houndoom has WoW. Houndoom can burn Bisharp, Scizor, and Tyranitar which Latios appreciates, and Latios has Earthquake to deal with Specially Defensive Heatran for Houndoom as well as HP Fire for Ferrothorn for Gyarados

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry / Passho Berry
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 72 HP / 252 SAtk / 184 Spd
    IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ground] / Bug Buzz

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Unnerve / Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Crunch / Ice Punch
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower

Starmie @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 SAtk / 244 Spd
    - Scald
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin
    - Reflect Type

This core is based off of Volcarona. It can very easily be altered to suit different team needs, and I'll talk a bit more on a combination that I like after. Anywayn, Volc's EV's are to outspeed Scarf Lando-T at +1. Alternatively, you can run max Speed on it if you wanted to, but I didn't feel the need to on my team. Quiver Dance is the big selling point for Volcarona so it is a must. Fire Blast comes next for obvious STAB reasons. Giga Drain is helpful against Waters and Grounds so Volc can recover some health back. Special mention goes to Giga Drain + Passho Berry as dealing with Keldeo and Azumarill gets easier. The last slot is a toss up between Bug Buzz and HP Ground. HP Ground hits tran while Bug Buzz is secondary STAB and helps with bulky Psychics. Support varies a bit depending on the move you choose for that slow.

Next Pokemon is Scarf Ttar. Because I opted to go for HP Ground > Bug Buzz, I needed something to hit bulky Psychics hard as well as dealing with the Lati's, Talonflame and Mega Pinsir that Volc has problems with. Everything else is pretty self explanatory. I chose Crunch over Ice Punch so I could hit bulky Psychics, but if you choose Bug Buzz and coverage and still want to use TTar as a partner (for Excadrill, discussing more later) Ice Punch may be more useful if you opt for a Scarf Ttar.

The last slot actually fills a bunch of roles for the team. First and foremost, spinning. Volc NEEDS some form of hazards control and it likes Rocks to aid sweeping so I opted for a Rapid Spinner over a Defogger. Secondly, it counters Keldeo which decimates this core otherwise. Because Volc is so reliant on having Rocks off of the field, and I needed a Keldeo answer, I opted for a bulky Starmie. It gets Rocks away more consistently than any other set, it avoids Leech Seeds from Ferrothorn, and has reliable recovery.

NOTE: Offensive Tornadus-T absolutely decimates this core.

ALTERNATE POKEMON: If you would rather use Sand Stream from Tyranitar you can use Excadrill as a spinner instead, and because the team is still really weak to Keldeo, a Keldeo counter like Mega Venusaur is helpful despite being nerfed in the Sand. I don't really like that team composition as much but it still works.

And that is all for the time being.

E.T. likes this.
  9. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    1st core is very solid and might end up trying it it seems really fun and solid whats ur toughts on mixed houndoom with sucker punch? Anyway not much to say but i think draco and Defog over hp fire is the way to go cuz u can then get that extra 1 point in speed wich often is crucial vs other of the same speed tiers to at least tie and many reaches that 350 for some reason and i think that houndoom handles ferro perfectly fine
    For the 2nd core u could go for the fiery dance over fire blast this makes it worse vs balanced but it makes stall matchups easier but again solid core for the thing were u add M-venu and swap for exca i runned that in xy it was pretty good back then but u will have probs with a Tornadus-T now a days

10. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    Sucker Punch is Garbage on Mega Houndoom. May as well just got for Mega Absol if you wanna do that.

The slashes are there for that reason. I personally prefer having HP Fire > Draco because Mega Houndoom beats Lati's and Gengar which are the 110's Lati would otherwise tie with. The only other is Mega Diancie which I'm fine dealing with in other ways. I know Houndoom handles Ferro fine, but Twave Ferro is a great set and Houndoom would prefer not to switch into that. Latios can help pick it off, as well as beating Scizor which is also a threat to Latios.

Fiery Dance misses out on SOOOO much. Honestly isn't worth the trade off. The Mega Venu "core" (it's actually 4 Pokemon) is actually a lot less solid than the original.

@styler

11. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    The mega venu core i would call a team it was just a fun team in begg cuz wanted to use exca when it was ou again and felt mega venu was good
    For fiery dance i wasnt calcing it but yeah its a big bump in bp so ur probably right
    For mega houndoom i think i saw a set on that before but its total garb then
    With this particular core i guess hp fire is better but i just like to drop a draco sometimes

Edit: Aso M gallade reaches 350

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  12. Slurmz

Slurmz follow me to alshain, towards a fiery grave

PO Trainer Name:
    slurmz / Grypheldis
    Needs content :) Also bored :]

Mega Gard + TankChomp
    [​IMG] +[​IMG]
    Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
    Ability: Trace
    EVs: 232 SpA / 252 Spe / 24 Def
    Modest / Timid Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Psyshock
    - Taunt
    - Focus Blast

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 Hp / 164 Def / 92 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Tail
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast

These two work phenomenally together. Things such as SpD Talonflame and Mega Scizor check Mega Gard's very powerful Hyper Voices. Garchomp is here to provide rocks and acts as a deterrent for the potential use of Bullet Punch, Brave Bird, etc. and allows for the Gard user to be in a more favorable position even when it's Gard v Scizor. Garchomp also acts as an assurance against not just those two, but many strong physical that try and threaten Mega Gard. Core struggles with physical attacks that Garchomp can't handle.
    E: 24 Def EVs are to not be 2HKOed by Latios's Psyshock.

Mega Eye / Mega Diancie + Volcarona + Starmie
    [​IMG] OR [​IMG] +[​IMG]+[​IMG]
    Sableye @ Sablenite
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Will-o-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Calm Mind / Foul Play / Knock Off
    - Dark Pulse / Fake Out

OR

Diancie @ Diancite
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Protect / Rock Polish / Calm Mind
    - Diamond Storm / Ancient Power
    - Moonblast
    - Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]

Volcarona @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 72 Hp / 252 SpA / 184 Spe OR 72 Hp / 252 Def / 184 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fire Blast
    - Bug Buzz
    - Giga Drain / Roost

Starmie @ Leftovers / Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure / Analytic
    EVs: 240 Hp / 16 SpA / 252 Spe OR 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
    Timid Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald / Hydro Punp
    - Reflect Type / Psyshock
    - Recover / Ice Beam

This is a core that focuses on hazard control with a potent sweeper in Volcarona. This is core is also quite versatile as you have probably seen with all the slashes I have put. This core can either take a very offensive route or a defensive one. Mega Sableye or Mega Diancie provide Magic Bounce support, being able to reflect rocks and/or spikes. Starmie also provides Rapid Spin support if the opponent do perhaps get up rocks or spikes.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  13. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    We do need content but feels pointless to post when we are two
    But back to topic the M-Gard and bulkychomp (please dont call it tank it feels clunky) its pretty nice and so but lately i have been trying out a more specially defensive set to make for a bulky attacking core wich is nice (dont got My computer so no spread cuz vacattion) its just a solid core not much to say tbh
    For the 2nd one i think if u go meye u should go for the bulky set with reflect type as this makes for a semi-stallish team but with mega diancie u should go offensive and then u got a nice start for a offense team

14. Slurmz

Slurmz follow me to alshain, towards a fiery grave

PO Trainer Name:
    slurmz / Grypheldis
    The point of the first core (Gard + Chunky Chomp) is to prevent Scizor and Talonflame and the like from simplying spamming their strong physical attacks with no reprocussions, so a phys def set is more appropriate tbh with this core.

For the second one, I have reflect type on Starmie with the bulky spread (accidentally put reflect a type xD)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  15. styler

styler Pichu lover

PO Trainer Name:
    styles
    Yeah just saidthat for starm and for chomp/Gard i meant spdef Gard not chomp

16. Celebi.

Celebi. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    SheerForceGatr/Bulba
    Those defense EV's are there to not be 2hko'd from LO Latios' Psyshock iirc. I don't know if it has anything to do with Rocks or not, but going for a fully Sp.D set, Sylveon is probably gonna be a better option.

Slurmz likes this.
  17. RSEweathergod07

RSEweathergod07 New Member

[​IMG][​IMG] OR [​IMG] [​IMG]

Swampert @ Swampertite
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe

- Aqua Tail
    - Ice Punch
    - Power-Up Punch
    - Earthquake

Tornadus-T or I@ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 12 Atk / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
    - U-turn
    - Superpower/Focus blast
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Celebi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    - Baton Pass
    - Giga Drain
    - Shadow Ball/Hp(fire)
    - Calm Mind/Nasty plot

I made this core specifically for mega swampert in the rain and i have to say its pretty fun to use if used correctly. The whole idea of this core is to get rid of mega perts checks/counters a few being mega slowbro, rotom-wash, defensive celebi, chestnaught, and ferrothorn. This is where celebi and Torn comes in. Celebi is able to switch in anything rotom-wash has to offer bar a Choiced item, while can set-up on defensive celebi w/calm mind+ shadow ball combo and can even deal with ferrothorn pretty nicely with a couple of calm minds/nasty plots up. This set can also be used to set up to pass to Torn in the rain so that Torn can sweep later in the game. Up next is Tornadus. The thing that i was having trouble with this core is which form of Torn i should go with and honestly i guess its just a matter of personal preference. If you pick Torn-I you gain power but you lose speed, while vice versa for Torn-T you gain speed but lose a bit of power. I dont think i really need to go over swamperts role, pretty simple. Its the poke i wanted to build around and sets up in the rain w/power up punch to either wall break or sweep mid-late game.

so thats the core guys and i hope you like it and can build around it

18. Kidwill

Kidwill The Drizzle god

PO Trainer Name:
    KidWill07
    this is a weather based core since that is my specialty and this team is made for weavile in the hail:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Weavile (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
    - Icicle Crash
    - Knock Off
    - Poison Jab/Iron tail/ Low kick
    - Swords Dance

Sylveon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pixilate
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
    - Wish
    - Heal Bell
    - Hyper Voice
    - Toxic/Protect

Landorus-T @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 156 HP / 124 Atk / 192 Def / 36 Spe
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off

I made this core not too long ago and its not too bad. The basis of this core is to pretty much semi-stall in conjunction with the hail so you can weaken your opponents team slowly so that mid-late game weavile can set-up an s.d. and clean-up. Weavile does not like mach punch spam/Bullet punch spam which is one of the reasons why i added lano as its partner. Both of them handle each others weaknesses very well and land is there basically to make up for weaviles poor defense. I did have a bit of trouble with the lati twins and i was gonna need some kind of support just in case either poke got low so i choose sylveon. It soaks up special hits pretty nicley and can wish-pass to either lando or weavile if needed. Bisharp gives this team hella trouble so i would watch out for that as well as a well played latios/latias and weavile w/fight move+ice shard. Well thats the core and I hope you guys like it. Also since this core is made to be in the hail abamosnow is also going to be needed

19. Kidwill

Kidwill The Drizzle god

PO Trainer Name:
    KidWill07
    If you want a more in-depth explanation on the sets please let me know

Moderators: Draciel, Finchinator, sulcata