1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Remove Wonder Guard from Hackmons Challenge Cup

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Water, May 17, 2015.

1. Water

Water Well Respected and Exceptionally Handsome User Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

I know it isn't supposed to be a balanced tier or anything but wonder guard is broken on pretty much anything.

Haze Victory likes this.
  2. inigomontoya

inigomontoya Slightly Less Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    I might just change Hackmons CC to BH CC in most tours. That deals with Wonder Guard, as well as a lot of other broken shit

3. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

I don't think it'd filter that out though. Challenge Cup selection is very separate from tiers.xml as far as I understand (I think it just overrides the tier). Tagging @Crystal Moogle since I think you've been working on stuff like this.

4. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Since this thread is talking about restricting abilities, I'll drop this here. I don't have a screencap but at the current moment there's a possibility of the CC Hackmon having no ability whatsoever. That should probably get fixed.

5. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

It has been @ Joey

Also, I feel that despite both Hackmons and CC saying "lol deal with it" I think we should override to remove Wonder Guard as that could turn some really crappy pokemon into a 6-0 maker just because the opponent got unlucky and had nothing to deal with it.

6. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

Double posting cause its been a week and I've got an idea for this.

If the ability rolls Wonder Guard, it has to roll again and the 2nd ability rolled will be the one used. This means in order for a Pokemon to have Wonder Guard in hackmons CC, you'd need to get Wonder Guard TWICE in a row on the same Pokemon (like a 1 in 36100 chance actually) in order to get Wonder Guard. It would be easier to win a Metronome Match via Imprison than it is to get Wonder Guard in CC

An alternative solution was brought up by fitzy to make the chance equal to 1 in 4096, or equivalent of finding an unassisted shiny in XY, rather than the 1 in 190 chance it currently is.

7. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Just to put into perspective how (in)frequent 1/4096 will be (to be honest I thought it sounded more common).

Out of 100 matches (200 teams), there's a 25.4% chance of Wonder Guard appearing at least once.
    The inverse of the probability of Wonder Guard never happening. This includes the probabilities of Wonder Guard happening anywhere from 1-100 times.
    1-((4095/4096)^12)^100 = 0.2540 (approx)

After 1572 matches there's a 99% chance of Wonder Guard appearing at least once.
    1-((4095/4096)^12)^n = .99
    (4095/4096)^(12n) = .01
    (4095/4096)^n = .01^(1/12)
    n * (ln 4095/4096) = (ln .01)/12
    n = (ln .01)/(12(ln 4095/4096))
    n = 1,571.7062 (approx)
    Rounding n up to make sure we're over a 99% chance gives us 1572 turns.

700 posts!!!

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  8. Fuzzysqurl

Also, to somewhat support the claim of doing something: Movesets have some sort of balancing to them. I'm not exactly sure what it all entails, but it looks for moves with over 50 BP and tries to give each generated pokemon at least 1 of these moves. I believe its some sort of mulligan system that, after too many attempts, just goes with the next valid set (which is why you could have a mon with no attacks, but its rare).

I'd be willing to implement anything we come up with after everyone is sufficiently satisfied with the decision. I personally do like the 1/4096(±110ish, for the sake of cleaner code)