1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] 3 Things You'd Like to Change on PO

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raducan, May 27, 2015.

1. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

So often I ponder what could be changed on PO to make it more enjoyable. The changes I imagine are often very unrealistic so they often don't go anywhere.

I'm making this thread because I'm curious of what you guys would change on PO if you could. This can be anything associated with the forums, server, tiering, staff etc.

Here's my current list (not gonna include in-staff stuff, don't wanna get anyone fired up):
    -Make #Tournaments the default channel
    -Revamp the PO Academy system and start it up again
    -Make a forum tournament that you have to qualify for in some way

Please list reasonable stuff. If your post includes "more users," I am deleting it.

Edna and ZoroDark like this.
  2. [OG] Swanna Lady

[OG] Swanna Lady Y.......Yo......You.....YOU'RE FAT!

PO Trainer Name:
    [OG] Swanna lady
    - Be able to advertise
    - Revive Youtube
    - Update the Apple client

- KILL RADUCAN MAHNMUT

3. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Seconding the youtube thing, I would love to do some narrations. I've actually considered starting my own channel and sticking mostly to rby but idk I just haven't been bothered, especially since I'd have to develop video editing skills. It's just too bad there was little interest elsewhere and a lack of people editing. So yeah, I'd actually contribute, but I'd be both limited and seasonal in what I could do

One little thing is it'd be cool to have some method of approximating defensive bulk, basically combining the HP and Defense stat. When you're searching for a pokemon by defensive stats, it's the bulk that matters not the individual HP and Def stats. For instance Skarm and Alomomola both take physical hits pretty well, but if you're searching for HP>90 you'll miss Skarm and Def>90 you miss Alo- you're searching for both, you get neither. So yeah.

Another thing is that it'd be really nice to make something out of the past gens forum. I know among many RBYers PO is greatly preferred to PS, and it makes sense, since PO's mechanics are simply better. I imagine the same goes for gsc, since there's not as much confidence in PS mechanics. Also PS just generally has a shitty teambuilder, one that becomes even worse once you play old gens. Theoretically this should mean PO is the go-to place with respect to past gens.

I feel like some kind of community thing is in order as well, I just don't know what that might consist of. I'd really like to see the PO forums more lively, I like it here =]

Haze Victory likes this.
  4. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    If the purpose of making Tournaments the default channel is to increase activity in Tournaments, I don't think this is the way to do it. When Tournaments is dead, it usually isn't because there aren't enough players in the channel, but it's because there aren't enough active players in the channel. Not to mention that having the Tournaments bot + advertisements from Hangman, Trivia, and Mafia would probably get too spammy for people actually trying to have a conversation, but I won't go further into that part. The first thing I wish would change about PO is for its members to become more active. Some people may be idling in a channel because a tour (or other side channel game) fails to start, and they get bored and move onto something else, essentially being AFK, but if they would instead try to be active, others would eventually do the same and the channel would be more active. The only way to change this is for us to try to be more active individually if we can and try to encourage others to participate more.

The same problem applies to the ladders too. Many tiers just have dead ladders because people just don't ladder, so people who actually want to ladder in these tiers end up going to PS. The second thing that I would change would be to create more ladder challenges on the forums; especially in the tiers that need ladder activity the most. This would not only bring the ladder back to life, but it could help draw more people to the forums as well. It would also be nice if the ladder decay bug could be fixed eventually, so that the ladder actually makes sense. (Example: I have over 1500 in ORAS Ubers, but my ladder score drops by a little over 200 points everyday when the server updates the ladders).

The third thing I wish would change about PO is for people to be more responsive and give feedback when threads like this appear. I know I'm guilty of just "liking" comments that I agree with on the forums instead of adding more to the discussion (although sometimes I don't really have more to add), but any ideas about how to improve PO would always be appreciated, so if you're reading this and you would like to change something about PO, or have comments about what has been said, then post!

I think it would be awesome if the academy could get up and running again. The academy appears to have been dead since last year despite people expressing interest in it. Having a tournament that has a qualification requirement is also an excellent idea, and it could be another way to promote ladder activity. Getting the YouTube channel active again could be a way to attract some new members too. @Ortheore, what do you have in mind for the old gen forums? Analysis discussions, viability discussions, theoretical discussion, and even a sub-forum tournament have happened recently, which is awesome, and I would definitely support more stuff like this going on there. Ladder challenges would be something to consider for the old gens too.

Edna, Aurist and Draciel like this.
  5. bugzinator

bugzinator Well-Known Member

Would create a new pre contributor badge which would be fairly easy to obtain and only available to users who don't yet have the contributor badge. Would probably award it for simple things like hosting some successful forum tournaments/games, actively making helpful posts in things like suspect discussions and wherever else they may be contributing/helping out on the forums and server etc. Think the tiering contributor badge may be a similar sort of idea to this but would like to see something more universal which would reward and encourage newer users for posting/helping out across PO. Also think this could help with what the others were saying about lack of discussion and activity throughout the forums.

Would consider changing something up in the way tiers are ran at the moment. Just think (especially in the lower tiers) that there are too many dead suspects which are lacking discussion, don't even have anyone arguing for the anti ban side or could have easily been decided in a few days without the need for an actual suspect thread. Would probably put together more councils of prominent posters and people who know the tier well (possibly picked by the tier leaders) that could discuss and come to conclusions on some of the more obvious decisions without having to wait 2+ weeks for a dead suspect to come to an end.

Would force tier leaders to be more active in actual discussions, have noticed in some cases tier leaders just posting the suspect and then sitting back and doing nothing until it's time to post the final verdict. We don't have a lot of posters around at the moment and I feel like we're losing out on the voice of 2-3 of our best posters when the tier leaders decide to take a back seat like this.

Would make strip tiers playable on the server for users like me who just wanna have some cheeky fun :c

Also think the academy would be straightforward enough to get going again as I'm sure we could easily find a couple of users willing to help run it and more than enough potential tutors/tutees to make it worthwhile. Have always been a fan of ladder challenges too and I think the new qualification tournament idea sounds nice, some decent stuff here imo.

Edit - Also bring back wells(?) Didn't see too much harm in these back when we had them and I think taking them away just gave people one less thing to do on the forums if anything.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Edna, Draciel, buny and 2 others like this.
  6. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    HELLO

MY INPUT IS DEVELOPED FROM THE IN-DEPTH ANALYSIS OF HIGH-LEVEL SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH FROM TOP UNIVERSITIES AND RESEARCH INSTITUTIONS

1. MEEPS ADMINISTRATER AND ONLY ADMINISTRATER OF FORUMS AND SERVER
    2 BAN ZORODARK
    3. BAN FINCHINATOR

7. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    Instead of making tournaments a default channel, just make it Auto Join on all users just like Tohjo Falls, so that way there will be approximately the same amount of users in Both Tournaments and Tohjo Falls, ensuring bigger and more active tournaments.

Pokémon Online Webclient (This would seriously give us a boost)

Revive both youtube and PO Academy, a functional academy means we could get a more competitive playerbase, instad of just sticking to Well-Known players.

8. Ortheore

Ideally there should be all kinds of discussion and tours going on there, with lots going on regarding the main OU tiers and people messing about with other older tiers. I think the first thing to do is get tours up and running- if you compare with discussion threads, tours attract way more people. From there, maybe a few of them will stay interested in the tier and become regular players and posters (if they weren't already). I was actually planning on following that sub-forum tour with an ADV OU tour, but the fact that HGSS got less than 16 participants was kinda discouraging. I'd still be happy to host it though, so if people are wanting another tour I can easily host it.

Ladder challenges are an interesting idea, and I'm not sure how well they'd work- I can see how it would benefit activity, but some ladders are just so quiet that running the challenge might be an issue- I'm thinking stuff like GSC. Personally, it's not my kind of thing, I just greatly prefer tours to laddering, except on a casual basis

One idea I had would be to have like a profile thread where people basically post what tiers they are into, when they'll typically be on, and people know that they'll generally accept challenges in that tier.

Edit: How many people are willing to chip in for academy/youtube? I agree that they'd be awesome to implement, but I mean we need people to run them. I can do narrations for youtube, but that's about it

9. Whereabouts Unknown

Whereabouts Unknown Absolutely Stunning Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Miki Sayaka
    • Make #Tournaments #Mafia the default channel.
    • Reorganize the RMT section of the forums. I have no idea how to navigate that place.
    • Bring back some of the intermediate-generation tiers more often. There are tiers like ADV 200 which never gets played but I'd like to try, and Platinum, although it was full of Garchomp spam, would be fun to revisit. Sometimes. I mean it's not impossible to make a team in these tiers because the Generation tab in team builder is nicely stratified, but there's almost no reason to because no one plays them afaict.

Fiery Espeon and MUMU like this.
  10. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Bring back "To Be a TOP" tour without the bullshit drama
    Fewer people that drop projects without finishing them / giving the reigns to someone else (me included!)
    Less shitheads getting undeserved respect then trashing everyone around them because they have a fragile ego

11. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    Making #tournaments the default channel has been discussed by the owners and channel leaders before, didn't really work out because it's not a good idea. What could work is making #tournaments autojoin like tohjo is; tournaments being dead/inactive during certain timezones is due to the lack of active players in tours as more than half of the channel is content with just being there and idling. I've always voiced my opinion on auth participation in tournaments, as that's a great way to increase activity from time to time (I often bother people in indigo by flashing them to join certain tours, and they do most of the time :])

Another thing we desperately need is a working webclient and a replay viewer. Webclient will increase our userbase greatly, and a proper replay viewer will also shoot the YT channel back to life.

Bringing back Wells or PO Profiles would be a cool idea as well, considering I don't really know the exact reason why they were stopped in the first place.

EDIT: And Academy yeah, shouldn't be too hard to get it going again.

snaga likes this.
  12. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

To answer the "why did we stop wells" question, we stopped wells because they had basically turned into a shitfest that a group of friends would have through an official platform. They became so frequent (twice a month I think?) and littered with terrible posts that the feeling of it being "special" was gone. That's why PO Profiles were created; they gave the community insight into significant members of PO without deviating from the intention of these threads being PO-centric.

Personally, I liked wells/profiles and I wouldn't mind them coming back. I mean, the stuff that used to be posted on wells isn't much worse than stuff that is posted on the forums today.

13. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    It's hard to limit it to three, to be honest. This isn't because I think PO is a lackluster community, but it is because I have grown so engrained in the forum/server life and thus became very opinionated on many matters, leading to wanting specific changes.

Anyway, if I had to pick three, they would be:

1) Drastically altering the tier system or destroying it altogether.

Yea, it was cool in generation five when our tiers were competing with or even better than, at some points (keep in mind, better is only one's opinion), Smogon tiers, but back then we had a booming playerbase that provides sufficient usage statistics. Nowadays... We lack the playerbase we had 2 years ago that let tiers regulate themselves fairly well and PO lower tiers are pretty much a joke to everyone outside of the community and even some people inside the clmmunity now, who also have experience with other communities' (like Smogon) lower tiers to use as a point of comparison.

Every time there is going to be a tier shift, the PO NU megahame drastically shifts and the tier leaders have to play the "suspect all of this broken shit asap" game for a majority of the tier change until it's too late to actually progress the tier as it was in recovery mode for so long. LU and UU aren't much better, but NU stood out to me as the most extremely compromised by the shifts as many things in LU don't see the usage they deserve due to the tiny LU ladder playerbase size.

The change that should be made in order to keep some balance has to be either: giving tier leaders more power to quick ban multiple things when necessary to balance out tiers - they should be given this as they are supposed to be competent and have some leverage over tiering in their metagames in the first place and with an active tiering administrator in place like Weavile, any abuse of this privilege can be caught and dealt with accordingly, so it would really be a wn win OR giving in and adopting Smogon's tiers altogether - this does strip us of a lot of our identity, but it will end the vulnerability of tiers to drastic usage shifts due to our small playerbase, it will make official tournament play run much smoother, and it will generate a basis for more forum activity in the generation six discussion sub forum (not many people play PO nowadays due to the fact that we have our own lower tiers, unlike in generation five, so while this idea may seem like it is just forfeiting our individuality as a community, it really would be beneficial if we could swallow our pride - with that being said, the first idea about giving tier leaders more power to regulate their metagames to avoid them from being ruined by the lack of quality usage stats is also a feasible solution, just would need to be executed properly).

2) Killing inactive or borderline dead projects that didn't amount to that much in recent months regardless of past success.

The PO Wiki... Or competitive analysises... Or whatever we call it now really serves no purpose whatsoever, no offense to those involved. Hardly anyone uses it as a resource and while there are some contributors working on it, it's not too many and those who work on it generally do so sporadically. It's never going to amount to something that many people take advantage of and while the idea of a PO Wiki had promise, it never was meant to be and we should quit while we're behind at this point, before we fall even further behind.

This is just one prime example that comes to mind - I am certain there are at least 1-2 things, even if they're minor facets of the community, that fall under here, too.

3) Being stricter to people in positions of power who take advantage of the generally lax approach in regard to punishing for inactivity.

Samphire...inactive for a while and sporadic activity for upwards of a year prior to demotion. Liability to PO over that time for the most part and held various positions (Admin on forums, admin on server, TD, led PO League, ran hangman at a point, etc.) that all were pretty much voided of any work during her various stints of inactivity. The communities progress in these various areas was stunted because of this and we cannot afford to have this.

This is also just one example - but the point is that we need to hold stricter standards and have higher expectations for our moderators... Our communities leaders... if we wish to be moderated or if we wish to have our community led - both of which are necessary for PO to have to get by and both of which were compromised in recent months.

-------------------------

These are my big three. Have plenty more, but I'll save them for another day in another thread!

Aurist, Ortheore, Joyverse and 5 others like this.
  14. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Looking at the topic I first thought that I should not type but.... considering am a part of the PO community, I need to give my input.

STRICTLY SPEAKING. I have more than 3 suggestions but I will type in my top 3... some are actually the same as what a few people said before me, some are what people will say after me (copycats y'all!!!!)

1- Adding a Tutorial section for people who just started PO- At least in the PC version. Yeah an embedded version that shows you how to work out stuff step-by-step on starting PO the first time. It is almost on a daily basis that many users join PO without knowing what to do, unlike PS it gets a bit confusing at first and people usually get scared of the user interface and run away. I am still kinda new here and I remember having to ask almost everyone for help in this and that until I got the hang of it, but it would have been good if I had had an one time PO tutorial that would have saved me around a week of learning stuff.

2- Doing a Titanic change on the lists- Let's edit up some tiers and remove some tiers altogether, yeah people still play RBY LC but who plays VGC 2007 and stuff?

3-Add a public voting system accompanied by a private decision team of auth to decide MUs/TAs/Auths and so on- Cuz Democracy is a thing too.

15. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    From what I have been reading so far, I have seen that the key changes people are pointing out are:
    Changes on Tier System.
    PO Academy.
    PO Youtube.

I could define these as major changes, not only because the level of collaboration it requires, but also because it will make big impact on how is the PO Community seen. But we are probably going nowhere by mentioning all these things if we don't get stuff running as soon as possible.

Regarding the Tier System, I really don't have much to say about this, since I stopped focusing on this subject long ago.

As for PO Academy, I remember it being very lively in my days as a new member in PO, and even a few years after that, I had two tutors, and they taught me stuff pretty well. I used to link newcomers to the Academy forums when it was active, but now when I see players saying "I'm new here, how do I play?", all I can tell them is to open teambuilder, make a random team and jump in to get smashed and then frustrated. I am more than sure there are good players in the PO Community that are more than qualified to give proper tutoring to newcomers, and share their knowledge with those who have started, but some of them probably: 1) Are not motivated. 2) Motivated to collaborate in this subject but have no knowledge about a PO Academy. Also I think that the PO Academy should be known by those who have still not experienced what competitive battle is, who knows, they could end up loving it, and a way of doing it would be having a more active social network base (Twitter and Facebook), though this will not completely guarantee a horde of new players, but it will attract people's attention and eventually drag them into the community, pretty much what happened with me, I used to know nothing about competitive play, nor any of the past simulators before PO's existence, yet I saw it mentioned in many places like youtube, joined it, and here I am. (Just an example).

PO Youtube can possibly give us a decent playerbase boost, but the thing is, as far as I know, it won't have very much of a success if there is no Replay Viewer working up properly. Though people would still be able to record their battles while [battling?], but it would not look as professional as recording a replay. So perhaps finishing the Replay Viewer should be one of the most important changes to be taken in mind, I'm not looking forward to push the devs, but they should focus on figuring out how to work with this.

Speaking of devs stuff, it could sound like a cliché, but a finished Webclient would surely guarantee us a bigger playerbase, being able to use Pokémon Online through your browser instead of having to download it is a big plus, it would be useful for those who have had problems downloading the client in the Different OS, and for iOS users.

I wish I could have more to say, but so far this is all I got.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Finchinator likes this.
  16. Memo'

Memo' It's going to be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY!! Social Media Rep Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Memo
    Hi v:

I) My first suggestion is translate all server messages to the most important languages, like italian, portuguese, spanish and others. For example, translate the announcements to tournaments, the games like Hangman, trivia, mafia and commands. I mean one command that can change the language of the server, you log in PO and you start with (English) PO but you can change the language with commands like /Es to spanish, /Pt to portuguese or something, then all server messages change to that language. I'm not saying to translate all commands, but yes translate the description to use it to know the use.
    II) I support the idea to help the youtube channel but I'm not sure how to, I'm not good at this v:
    III) About device where users can stay inside PO. I don't know if I can say something about it if I'm not good at programing, but I'll suggest that we need our Android app on Play Store, update the Linux and MAC client, one iOS and one WP8 app would usefull to get more users. If we're on all plataforms, we can have a better experiences about what PO means. But, like I said, that all just are suggestion to PO developers, I'm not sure if this is possible, but I wanted to say it.

17. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

1. more users to contribute to developing the server and making it better, instead of complaining and not doing anything. this doesn't only apply to actual development, helping with other projects can free up the time of people who know how to do other things too

2. more users to realize we aren't at fault when you break a rule. we aren't out to get you, cool your jets and follow the rules. the rules are there to make the community more enjoyable for people of all ages. if you want to break rules, make a private channel and do it there. this is why its acceptable in society to be naked in your house, but not out on the sidewalk
    3. more users [that make amazing suggestions for the sim instead of reposting the same suggestion over and over, or posting suggestions that would require 6 months and $1 million to implement. many past suggestions were added last update, so its not that we're ignoring them, its just that we are looking for the good ones that actually advance the simulator and make it more accessible
    4. more users to highlight the post before getting their panties in a bundle

18. Ascarotte

Ascarotte Well-Known Member Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

Well, things I would want to change on PO personally would probably have a selfish slant that might destroy PO as a simulator but:

1. Greater focus on side channels, including as part of the advertisement of PO. I mean, our trivia bank of 16000 questions and the range of mafia themes that we have should be of interest to more than just people who want to battle on a simulator, and I think we should capitalize on that. Even if it means more people on PO that don't actually use it as a Pokemon simulator.

2. RPG mode. Have a chance of winning Pokemon when you win a Tournament and stuff. This is unrealistic and a waste of limited resources, but it is something I would like.

3. Less passive hostility towards people who speak other languages.

Joeypals!! and MUMU like this.
  19. Ortheore

A thought occurred to me. @Finchinator what are your thoughts on smogon's UU tiering system? Testing everything becomes a slow process, one made even more difficult by our much smaller playerbase, but taking that kind of approach I imagine would serve to minimise the volatility experienced by the lower tiers by limiting the extent to which broken pokemon are introduced to the metas every cycle

20. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I was initially skeptical of the idea, but as it proved to be somewhat effective throughout XY and early ORAS prior to Kokoloko's resignation earlier this year, I actually started to approve the system. I don't think that there is any one best method or system for tiering, but the quick ban + cycle through retest route is certainly a step up from spending the whole tier shift recovering or playing catch-up from the damage inflicted upon the tier's quality and balance from the drops - messing around with one potentially broken thing and only one variable at a time is a safer bet than doing so with a half dozen potentially broken things and many more untested variables, especially when the latter involves a smaller playerbase that provides unreliable usage statistics in themselves.

21. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

That's cute. Try being here for 4+ years and contain everything that you'd like to change after seeing shit hitting the fan multiple times into 3 bullet points, much less an actual full post. I'm just going to respond to the main things that I pretty much agree on, being a lower tier overlord leader for quite a while before life gave me other things to do.

This is completely annihilating our identity as a competitive community but something that is also a long time coming. Looking at our player base now, we're probably never going to get the same amount of people coming to our server as they did 1 or 2 years ago ever again. Lack of a web client and general idiocy in how this place was run(swordfish conundrum among other things) really damaged our reputation and general traffic, while smogon drama is pretty much limited to tours because they run such a tight ship around there. Or at the very least nothing happens that makes over half the competitive staff and a very prominent owner quit on the spot.

Having their simulator being a web client while we're stuck on a download-only client also doesn't help rake in users. Which is a giant problem due to what I'm going to say next and shouldn't be excluded as one of the things we need/want to change.

But regardless, our window for being able to stand alongside Smogon as far as having our own tiers go has long passed, and we'd honestly only benefit by adopting Smogon's lower tier lists at this point. OU will always have a respectful player base and can probably keep our current ban list, otherwise I don't see many reasons to keep the lower tiers our own. As much as it pains me to admit, our lower tiers are just dying and this would be their mercy kill. NU is the only one not on life support, as far as forum activity goes. And that's not saying much at all.

At the same time I don't see how this is exactly to our benefit as it gives people less of a reason to come here if they're already invested in Smogon to begin with. Honestly it's not a win/win when you look at it from someone who has no intention of going over to smogon seriously; unless we get back to our "old" activity it's really just a lose/lose from here on out unless we can seriously do something about getting a better player base.

Also, someone mentioned a council: what exactly would be the point right now? We struggle to have more than 10 posts per UU discussion and less in LU. The best people to have the penultimate decision in whether a pokemon is banned or not and are active parts of this community are already leaders. Maybe for OU but any other tier doesn't have either the competency or the player base, or both for more than 3 people to get together and decide on anything.

Users are the blood of a community, and we've been bleeding out for a while now.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  22. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

• Webclient would be cool. Have been thinking of trying to work on that but I don't really know where to start. Guess I'll have more time this summer. No download and w/e is really helpful. Maybe just a personal thing, but I haven't found myself actually having the patience to watch battle replays, so idk how important those are.
    • In terms of tiering, perhaps moving the percentages for where we cut pokemon off as part of OU, UU, etc. would help. While some Pokemon get left behind by overall better alternatives in each new generation, it seems like the amount of Pokemon with the capability of being OU has increased over the years. I haven't really followed lower tiers all that closely this gen, but it seemed to me that a lot of the UU bans were Pokemon that were borderline in OU for some amount of time. Maybe a drop off of 3% or 3.5% would help mitigate this. afaik Smogon has a slightly lower drop off than us, so it may be worth looking into. We could also count usage stats over 3 months rather than 2 too make them less volatile, while at the same time trying to avoid staling the metagame. Just some arbitrary, simple changes that might work better than a complete overhaul of the tiering process. Well, I just thought that these changes might drastically shake up LU and NU, so idk if they'll really work or not. Might still be worth it.
    • I want to make more side metas. i.e. that random battle stuff, probably bring back monogen (monocolor seems like it'd still be aids). I've been toying with a ground-up monotype tier project in my head for a while. Not sure about it still. Middle Cup could also be cool eventually.

edit: incremented player count

Last edited: May 30, 2015
    Fiery Espeon and E.T. like this.
  23. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

1. Damage calculator in battle window キタ━━━(゜∀゜)━━━!!!!!
    2. Replace rating decay (dumbest thing ever) with occasional ladder resets in active competitive tiers (i.e. not side metas, fun tiers, or previous gen tiers)
    3. Either 3-month or longer tier rotation or faster suspects, it sucks never having a stable metagame (no suspects or imminent tier changes) in lower tiers
    4. Update stats more often/regularly

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  24. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    1. As someone stated earlier, put more emphasis on the other official channels (Hangman, Mafia, and Tournaments). This will come as a shock to some, but yes PS actually has Mafia. That being said, it's very archaic in functionality as opposed to what we have, and that should be spread around. Trivia and Hangman also provide alternatives to battling, something we can push upon for those who don't necessarily like competitive battling. In sum, emphasize the fun factor and you will have results.
    2. Reset Diamondslight's Challenge Cup seed points This will never happen, but maybe crack down more on trolling/harrassment? Clear sarcastic comments are fine obviously, but we shouldn't go attacking other people and making them feel unwelcome because of intolerance problem. More positivity = more people that stay.
    3. I agree completely with Nicebat in terms of the damage calc. I often find myself opening up PS's battle calc during battles, and it ultimately just slows everything down. A readily-available damage calc within the battle window would streamline the process.

25. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

I don't get the purpose of a battle calculator in the battle window. Pretty soon people will want the sim to automatically move and battle for them too, because that's what an in-battle calculator would be paving the way for. Maybe its just me, but how can it be fun to "battle" when you're just monotonously clicking buttons based on what software is telling you to do?

Haze Victory and Zoroark like this.
  26. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

You get to a certain point where you don't even need a damage calc anyway; you can pretty much "guesstimate" what kind of damage everything will do. It's how top tour and ladder players make the plays/reads they do.

One meaningful thing I'd actually like to see implemented, to drive it further home, is a battle replay viewer. A very smooth operating one could open the door to more activity in youtube narrations, and if we could get a solid few people working on the now decrepit youtube channel, it would be another thing besides a web client that could pull in users.

Really all of these things just start stacking on top one another.

27. Nicehat

Because it'd be way more convenient than having to use another site or program to do damage calculations?
    I don't understand how a damage calculator is more offensive to you than the fact that PO tracks your opponent's moves and PP totals for you, to me that seems way more like 'playing the game for you' than a simple damage calculator. Besides, damage calculators already exist and are readily available e.g. Showdown's damage calculator, so it's not like this is some hidden resource for people to take advantage of.
    Also if you think using a damage calculator is like having the game played out for you I'm skeptical whether you've ever actually used a damage calculator or played a Pokemon battle before.

People "guesstimate" because it's too inconvenient to do calcs, not because it's optimal. It doesn't matter how good at "guesstimating" you are, it's never going to be better than just calculating it. Good luck guesstimating that CB Scizor has a 62.5% chance to OHKO a max health Gengar with Bullet Punch (or conversely, that Gengar has a 37.5% to survive a CB Scizor Bullet Punch).
    Besides, it's not like doing damage calcs is banned or scummy or anything, it's just annoying because whenever someone does it in a battle it takes like 30 seconds to a minute every turn to do because they have to go to another site and plug everything in manually. It'd be far better for everyone if it were more convenient for everyone to do so rather than punishing the people who do by making them waste both theirs and their opponent's time and the people that don't by forcing them to pray that their attack will do as much damage as they think instead of being able to make a better-informed decision.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  28. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I honestly believe that the addition of a damage calculator in a battle window does not constitute a major implementation. If people ever wanted to do cals while battling, I think that the newly added function to the battle window, "Always On Top" allows you to watch at both Battle window and the damage calculator page you are using so that you can make calcs easily. Also, regardless if you make brainiac-like calcs while battling to determine a certain result, there's something called "hax" that can crumble all expectations, though this is not a very important element, but it's worth pointing it out at least. In either case, using a built in damage calc in battle window or using the method I explained earlier would surely piss your opponent off, since you'd have to stop from making moves in order to "plug in everything manually" (as far as I know, unless the built in damage calc is a genie that can read what you want to calc and input the values automatically, you have to do the same thing, the only difference is that in this case, you would have to do the calcs in the same battle window). I believe lots of players mostly use damage calculators outside battle for reference or to support their arguments in suspect threads. With enough experience, just like pnerd said, players "guesstimate" the results in every turn. I myself don't feel in the need for this to be implemented.

If the devs want to code this, then Go Ahead :D, if not, then less headache! This is just me, not intending this to be a fact nor anything alike, just my opinion.

29. Ortheore

Yeah, I would say it's definitely a matter of priorities- replay viewer and webclient seem to me more important than a damage calc, though idk how all those features compare in terms of the coding involved. As it stands, I only use damage calculators mid-battle sparingly, like if there's a single really important turn and I can't remember/approximate the damage involved.

Meanwhile I can easily see how a good replay viewer would attract people, as it stands sharing battles is really bad, just on a casual basis. Webclient isn't something I'd personally be interested in but again, lots of potential to attract users and users are what PO really needs.

30. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    1- Making PO on Iphone a thing: most of the players tends to play in droid nowadays, because they don't go that often to their pc. Making an app for Iphone will increase drasticaly the playerbase.

2- Make Doubles/Triples happen on droid/possible iphone app : a lot of tier can't be added in tournaments because of this ( BF 6v6 doubles, CC doubles/triples, ORAS doubles/triples, VGC). If these platforms can support possibly those tiers, it would be very nice.

3- Add a system to know your own ratio win/losses: when people test a team with alts, this ratio could come very handy to know if their team are good or not.

4- PO web: This might be one of the best thing to update, will also increase the playerbase.

5- Fix that damn qt problem because I don't want to stay forever in 2.5.0 :] no really, make the app more optimized for flashes, this is one of the best futures PO has, and this is lame to have a buggy one in the new updates

31. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    I'm not sure how to code it, but I have an idea for it that shouldn't be too hard whilst keeping the current battle screen the same. In teambuilder, there's the side-scrolling trainer pic option. What you could do is have it so you can swipe to the left and right in the battle, thus letting you see the rest of the Pokemon while keeping the screen relatively tidy. As for moves, you'd just need to set it to have a target option right after the move (same box size for doubles, slightly smaller to accomodate for more for triples). I'm probably oversimplifying the process, but that's my idea.

Edna likes this.
  32. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

1. Make the new battle window actually work on Macbook

2. Get rid of the current ranking system. I'm sick of matches where I stand to lose a huge amount and gain virtually nothing. Instead, let's just have a simple win/loss tally

3. Split NU. I know we haven't got a very big playerbase, but I think NU at the moment is too big and I would personally split it. The top half would become SU (Sometimes Used) and the lower half would become the new NU

4. Change the criteria for moving up/down a tier. I think 4% is too high, as it allows incredible Pokémon to fall too low to soon, which results in too many suspect discussions. I'd change fall to 3%, and rise to 5%.

5. Haven't got a 5th one

Arceus_17 likes this.
  33. Email

Email reformed xd

PO Trainer Name:
    Email
    1. being able to categorize people in the player list, ex. Friends: guest22020 Dicks: guest22021
    2. allow gifs on forums :^]
    3. some type of point system in where u can bet on who wins/lose in tournament battles and with those points you can unlock small things like a rainbow name or colored names for your pokemon
    4. ban meeps

34. Nicehat

Built-in damage calc would presumably know your team and active Pokemon's moveset and would thus already have over half the calc already inserted for you
    Could just calc against random defensive evs (0/0, 252/0, 252/252+ HP/(S)Def respectively for example) of the opponent that was there by default, which would make the built-in damage calculations pretty much instantaneous
    Also it's not hard to calculate how much critical hits do (hint: multiply by 1.5x for 6th gen, 2x for other gens), so I don't get why hax matters; not like hax can make your opponent crit for 5x damage randomly

Anyway this is getting off-topic so I won't talk about it anymore but it's painful seeing so many people misunderstand how it would work and why it would be such an improvement for a Pokemon battle simulator to have it built in instead of forcing people to use third-party sites that force you to input all the data yourself

Strudels likes this.
  35. pokemonnerd

It's not misunderstanding how it would work, it's incredibly simple. I'm just against the notion of people constantly being spoon fed information as it leads to playing even more predictably than your average ladder player does now. If you need to have a computer tell you the best course of action every turn, then there's no reason not to have the battle window next to a small window with an online calculator on it. Even for critical points in a match, it shouldn't take you upwards of 30 seconds for a calc or two. It's also just so low on a potential "to do" list that we shouldn't even bother.

I disagree completely with splitting NU as there's no reason to divide our already shallow player base, but I'd be able to get completely behind a different ranking system. Takes so damn long just to get up around 1400 in tiers with good traffic accounting for hax and what have you, and decay doesn't help if you have an unlucky first match after coming back to laddering. I'm not that great at math on the fly so I wouldn't know the best way to go about making a new one, but a win/loss system would be nice if possible in the future.

Haze Victory likes this.
  36. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    I am not against this "built in" damage calc in battle window idea nor misunderstanding its functionality, the concept itself is good. I just consider it not very important at this moment, while more important things get worked up, I could simply do calc stuff with another window, it is not that bad as it would look like. Ideas regarding tier changes and other things have way higher priority.

37. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Pretty awesome thread here.There aren't many things I actually expect to change on Po.PO doesn't really have any flaws that've bothered me on my day to day activity here,except the third point maybe.I'll get back to that later.

Firstly,it would be great to see the academy back up and running again. The support from the player base already seems massive on this.It pains me to see people out there who got little idea about building and they often ask me for help, and I try to help them the best I can, but after a point you do realize that most people out there in fact have no idea of how to approach their builds and often always end up throwing 6 mons on their teams that they think would be able to stand up to the meta game-(Most of them don't have much idea of the meta game either)-and this more than often never works.And from my experience of my starting days,most guides out there don't work either. Most none of the guides teach the basic idea of team building and even more so,most of them way too complicated for an inexperienced user. Not so complicated to us maybe.We've been through the nuts and bolts of the game and will realize most everything the written guides out there explain to us.

Secondly, the YouTube channel would be by far, the best way of bringing in a larger player base.PO has pretty much everything that makes a competitive player feel at home. I don't see a better way of advertising this simulator than to set up a YouTube channel. YouTube has a huge Pokemon fan base willing to battle each other at a moment's notice.YouTube would be the best way of spreading awareness here.In all reality the regular people I come across on Showdown don't know of Po either,much less the common folk.

Oh,and my third point?A bot to kick whoever uses the word god on Tournaments channel.
    This is a serious suggestion.

pokemonnerd and Joeypals!! like this.
  38. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    Web Client, what I know so far, doesn't work on Internet Explorer and Firefox for me, except Opera 30. But what if a user doesn't have the privileges to download and install other browsers. The greater the compatibility the better chance for more users. I know it's got good compatibility with channel talk so far. The avatar and web client idle switch seem to be broken at the moment.

I think I read somewhere about Qt bug disabling flashes on taskbar icon. There are battle and client script ways for flashing the PO notification icon on side of screen. I can't remember if Crystal updated hers to flash from messages in channel or not. For those wanting some alert in battle. I recently made a script that alerts on opponent messages and next turns, when the window isn't currently active, here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/N...pts/master/battle/BattleNofiticationScript.js However, I need to update it and add an alert when the Pokemon are sent out since one time it didn't alert me.

I imagine it would be very difficult and time consuming to re-write the command languages for "/language en-uk" for example. But I think that could be a +1 for those struggling with English. Plus it would involve re-writing all the responses they reply.

1. One idea that may help. On the android client. Why not make first time tool-tips overlayed notifications that hover on screen. For example: When logging on server first time. Show a message about slashing screen left shows players and right shows channels and how to interact with the menus. Maybe have an option in the options menu to disable or reset tool-tips for those who struggle to use the app. Maybe embed tutorial web file in all their respective clients for reference, or link to a sticky forum page.

2. Some new tier ideas:

Hackmons LC - I know I've mentioned it on Tohjo Falls some time ago. But I've been thinking of why not give it a try. One where it has the BH rules but only Pokemon with stats under 100 can be used. Just allows younger and unused pokes to be used instead of seeing same legends in every battle. But I know it be like re-writing all the tiers in Hackmons NU, UU, OU and Ubers. I thought LC would just be one separate tier though.

All 100 - Just recently thought of this one. This maybe interesting one but bare with me. Just a thought I mention. What about a tier where every Pokemon is forced to have 100 atk, def, sp.atk, sp.def and speed. Maybe exclude speed or it be too much luck on turn based. Thinking of it as another side-game tier idea.

3. Well, I've already commented on the web client. This would sound more like personal suggestion but. Could always update battle script to allow printHtml() to allow more colourful messages and sys.stopEvent() if those want to make some sort of command handler for messages in battle. But I imagine people, unlike me, wouldn't use them. :v

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    Edna likes this.
  39. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    Not exactly something that I would like to change, but some people have been bothering me to bring the RPG script I made for another server to PO. Perhaps it could help at keeping player on server for a longer time, but it's kind of a massive project that I'm not sure I would like to work on at this time.

Zoroark likes this.
  40. Zoroark

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    If it's the RPG script I'm thinking about, then you have my full support friend. Though I am aware this could take a lot of your time, so the choice is yours. Also I am more than sure that it will attract more players to the server, it is simply awesome :]