1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] 3 Things You'd Like to Change on PO

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Raducan, May 27, 2015.

1. Cirno

Cirno Romantic

PO Trainer Name:
    Alice
    That we stop acting that we need to be like Smogon; don't need to be the biggest to be successful.
    That we get a webclient and/or replay viewer.
    uh dunno what else so
    That we recognise our two owners as being amazing people.

2. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    That script looks very impressive so far. :o Bit technical for my level but I see it has potential. Personally I prefer guess-estimating my opponent but I think it could help beginners know what pokemon is effective on what. You always welcome to merge my battle notification script if you like. @Nicehat

Also. I forgot to mention yesterday. Why not instead of having PO settings such as alerts for mafia theme started or tour started alerts be on IP memory, why not store them in per user name memory. Android players for example jump around in a range of IPs. Those close in range could get alerts that they didn't set and those that set it have to re-add them. It's no issue for static IP uses but those dynamic be effected. It may encourage dynamic users to set alerts for games to help boost channel popularity. :v

4. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Goodbye, sweet summer days.

PO Trainer Name:
    Cassandra
    end auth abuse.

Um, make it easier to make themes. Have something inside PO that allows for you to just change shit around easily. If that already exists, fucking tell people about it.

Make it easier to report people on mobile. That whole "screenshot the thing and upload it then copy then pasta sdogoasdig" is fucking bullshit. Some people can't even screenshot.

Let me have a brighter username. 140 brightness is way too dark.

5. Domo Genesis

Domo Genesis Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Domo Genesis
    1. Webclient, not for mine, but for POs sake.

2. Less auth. It seems the more auth that get promoted the smaller the playerbase gets.

3. I never understood the whole channel advertising thing. I mean why is it so frowned upon? Do people think if a side channel gets popular it will somehow make Tohjo worse then it already is? I just think it's pointless tbh

Edit: Also, stop banning all the offensive mons, I'm sick of seeing stall

Sunny Girl likes this.
  6. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

It's extremely annoying seeing someone promoting their channel every 10 seconds. The main point of them is just so you can have a place for friends/clan members and get away from tohjo, I don't see why you need to actively promote them in the first place.

7. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

I doubt the number of auth Po has is any form of a drawback.Po has by far got the most freedom in terms of usage and is one of the biggest factors to why I don't feel the need to move over to any of the other simulators out there.The chat goes smooth and also I can afford to abuse my friends on a daily basis as long as it's all fun and games without a ban, which is pretty epic lol.Tho if Domo feels we can do with less auth then he probably got a good reason for that.

8. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    1. Working Webclient
    2. Working Replay Viewer
    3. An IOS client.

That's all :v

Edna likes this.
  9. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    This makes no sense at all. The number of authorities in a server doesn't affect playerbase. What you just implied is that there should be less auth so the "playerbase" you talk about (Problematic users, from what I can see in this context) become more abundant and everything turns into a jungle.

10. IceKirby

IceKirby A.K.A. RiceKirby

PO Trainer Name:
    RiceKirby
    There are other ways to use channels. For example, if someone wanted to have a channel dedicated to a specific topic (like Anime, for example) so Tohjo is not flooded with people who want to discuss that. Or for when people make side games with client-script bots.
    Of course, people promoting their channel every 10 seconds is obviously not cool, but I believe some cases could be tolerated as long as people don't abuse that.

11. Pangaea

Pangaea resto en peaco

bump
    • Webclient (hoping it will be a thing one day)
    • Official chat rooms. Having everyone cooped up in one room is not a good idea, unless you have many other rooms to support different interests. The only two rooms that I see being very popular are Tohjo Falls and Tournaments, and then some of the side rooms like Trivia and Mafia. It's very difficult to just chat with other users about the same thing when there's hundreds of other people talking about something completely different. I suggested it before, but something similar to PS! where when you join the server you are given the option of joining different channels such as an official Tournaments room, an OU room, an Anime Room, etc., with Tohjo Falls acting as the main 'lobby'. I feel this would make PO as a whole much more organized for the players in terms of talking and socializing with a large group of people.
    • that's it :v
    Smogon has this as an 'Other Metagame' and it is actually quite fun, it makes a lot of underrated Pokemon really shine. Speed isn't really a problem since some people will actually run different EV sets specifically for creeping.

12. Nightfall Alicorn

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    The thing with side channels is that people have the power to make their own unlike Pokemon Showdown which is a neat feature.

At the moment there just enough server staff to watch the main ones. I've suggested in the past for an improvement by showing a gold pad lock icon so users know if they can get in or not without needing to double click each one to find out. Most of time I don't bother scrolling through them any more.

I think a good improvement would be styling the channel list. Maybe something like this:

- Joined Channels
    [c] Tohjo Falls
    - Official Channels
    [c] Tohjo Falls
    [c] Tournaments
    [c] ...

- Tier Chats
    [c] Hackmons Challenge Cup
    [c] ORAS Ubers
    [c] ...

- Special Chats
    [c] Anime/Manga
    - User Created Channels
    [c] Custom Channel 1
    [c] Custom Channel 2
    [c] ...

Thought having a method of grouping chats with some style may make things easier to navigate. And/Or maybe, having alternative versions of Tohjo Falls that way people have their own language groups to chat in. But I think this would only make things harder to moderate.

13. Haze Victory

Anime/Manga room please.

14. Pangaea

Pangaea resto en peaco

Well yeah, PO players can make their own channels. I'm suggesting official rooms though, rooms owned and moderated by mods themselves. An official Anime and Manga room, rather than just having five different Anime rooms created by random players. The layout you proposed is quite nice, though. But these channels would have to be made visible to players when they first open up PO like on PS! so it's easier for them to navigate their way through.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Nightfall Alicorn likes this.
  15. Haze Victory

Well,for one the left side of the screen can have the exact same lines of text as in Nightfall's channel format.It's neat and nails what needs to be done.The channels can be listed in that format,and the joined channels can be listed under the joined channels section a second time while being bolded under their official sections,once joined.

Foe example, let's say a player join Tohjo.This is how it the list would appear in this case -

- Joined Channels
    [c] Tohjo Falls
    - Official Channels
    [c] Tohjo Falls
    [c] Tournaments
    [c] ...

- Tier Chats
    [c] Hackmons Challenge Cup
    [c] ORAS Ubers
    [c] ...

- Special Chats
    [c] Anime/Manga
    - User Created Channels
    [c] Custom Channel 1
    [c] Custom Channel 2
    [c] ...

16. Nightfall Alicorn

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    I was thinking Joined Channels acts like a shortcut but doesn't need to be included if users preferred it that way.

17. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Alicorn suggested a very cool channel framework. Yeah we don't need to totally copy paste PS. But grabbing some ideas is cool. There are already many tier channels which is in need of generalizing and then removing certain duplicate ones. However atm I can see very few tier based channels namely ADV NU(LOL IKR?), Balanced Hackmons and my co-owned Monotype Discussion. Adding this format will result in all tiers having a channel and that would be cool and yeah Anime/Manga e_e
    BTW Smogon has the Smog. I am pretty sure this is the right place to post this idea. That's right PO needs a monthly/ fortnightly webzine. Smogon is already grabbing them peeps. We can't obviously let the completely out shadow us can we? It will also encourage people in our community to write about PO, Pokémon and the community as a whole. We can also input Fanfics, anime/manga reviews, interviews (not like PO Profiles) and more.

18. Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom Long time hater of stall

If that does happen I'd be more than happy to help out with articles.

Joyverse and Nightfall Alicorn like this.
  19. Haze Victory

As for the magazine. Lol, I am free this entire year. For the most part when I am not working that is, so I'd lend a hand when needed. Besides, PO is stale af and am hoping these things mentioned here are being given actual consideration. I'd hate wasting time posting my opinions here and have it all go to waste. Hoping to revive a dying simulator is heroic deed guys..

Nightfall Alicorn and Joyverse like this.
  20. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    But for that to happen. We first need a website or need to establish a micro site in our main web site. We would need complete support from all our TLs, we would need an editor, artists, writers (here I can help) and more roles are to made. An official channel regarding our webzine has to be initiated. That's that. I just hope that the voice is heard.

21. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

A magazine was a attempted and failed at least once, and half heartedly attempted at least twice between then. PO can't even maintain an analyses section; a magazine is going to die very fast, since it requires a lot more writing and actual interesting content.

Also the smog is pretty bad, especially on any of the non competitive Pokemon articles, to the point where a lot of them are horrifically cringe-worthy.

Nightfall Alicorn and Ortheore like this.
  22. Finchinator

Finchinator IT’S FINK DUMBASS

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    The Smog is actually being disbanded while a bunch of articles will be released by Smogon periodically, iirc

23. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

I mean it doesn't matter because this thread is basically d e d/doubt anyone cares about my opinion, but really PO has no future except for the small clique that runs what remains of the user base. These ideas are nice and all but the only thing the truly matters for increasing player base would be a web client and unfortunately I think that ship has sailed and the opportunity to truly compete with smogon is well finished (which is really too bad because PO had a lot of things going for it). Maybe if one was made and suddenly appeared tomorrow, PO could grab some more players but I'm guessing that showdown has probably become too commonplace for people to turn to alternatives. In any case, with no web client, there won't be any new players. And with no new players, all that will be left is whatever staff clique that runs PO now.

The fact is that PO has basically been run into the ground by admins, although maybe it really isn't their fault given that most of the coders appear to have died/just aren't around anymore. There is no reason for the casual user to ever use/switch to PO. There really is no reason to exert a lot of effort in improving PO unless you really like the people here because there really isn't any reward in terms of getting promotions (although maybe this has changed idk) and actually having users to take advantage of the improvements. This place has a smogon mentality without the userbase. People are afraid to take risks and so what ends up happening is that meaningful changes don't happen. And we're past the point to change that I think.

I'm not trying to be gloomy and this is all not necessarily a bad thing. I jsut figure that it's probably best that people appreciate what has been built here and just enjoy the times as they are. At this point, there's no reason to make sweeping changes, unless it will improve your own PO experience. Don't do it for the "user base," but for yourself/friends/people you like/etc.

So I guess what I would change is nothing at all. Be happy with the few things that are still around and enjoy them while they last.

24. Nightfall Alicorn

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    I would help with the web client if I could but I don't know how it fully operates, specially what SDK frameworks it uses and how to use them. All I know is HTML, JavaScript, CSS and editing pictures/sprites. I can help fix and improve server scripts, make themes and edit sprites. I don't know how to fix in-battle bugs and app crash stuff.

I understand what you mean though and where you're coming from. Feels like PO's production is on a verge of a standstill and members are slowly leaving. Bugs are slowly being fixed though. If users are interested in helping promote PO, you all could help this guy with YouTube videos by saving replays: http://pokemon-online.eu/threads/po-youtube-needs-you.31971/#post-446792 make sure your running on the latest client though to avoid comparability issues.

Edit 1: Speaking of web client, you can talk in chat but battles are broken. Also it's hard for users to find it. Maybe they could make the web client more visible on the forums but notify they can't battle on it till it's fixed. Here's the link by the way if you don't know it: http://po-devs.github.io/webclient/

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Ortheore and Haze Victory like this.
  25. Jalmont

Jalmont nothere

Yeah, I mean maybe it's just bad luck that someone like wasn't around when coyotte was actively working on the web app and he could've helped you out or whatever. And perhaps it's unlucky there's really been nobody focusing on the web client. I guess it's just rough that the big solution is impossible without technical know-how, instead of effort/work ethic.

Production doesn't honestly matter when you lack a way to regularly get new users onto the server. Production pulls in users who happen to chance upon a simulator, doubtfully that it encourages people to download the simulator. There is no reason for any user ever to download a simulator when there is one available more easily via the web. Which is a shame, since I think PO has (or at least had) some interesting features about it that really differentiated it from smogon

When I think about it, it's actually pretty crazy to think about there was a point where PO outnumbered smogon. I don't really think any other pokemon community has ever rivalved (gamefaqs? lol.) smogon as much as PO did pre-showdown. Even now, with things like mafia and trivia there still is stuff that PO has that makes this place unique. Kinda sucks that we couldn't take advantage of this place's potential, but what's left is still pretty cool too!