1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Community] PO Profile - Isa

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Isa, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    Hi! I like shorts! They’re easy and comfy to wear!

About me:

I’m a Swedish guy, aged 22. I’m in the process of becoming a leisure-time teacher (shoutouts to jobs without a proper English translation), during the summer I work a coder job at a government agency. I’m decent at chess and Super Smash Bros. Melee - for those of you who know the Melee scene, I’ve been hosting tuesday locals that Leffen attend. I also enjoy music a lot - since a year back, I’ve been trying to work my way through this list: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-greatest-albums-of-all-time-20120531 I started at #1 and as I’m writing this I am currently listening to #190. It’s a fun but time consuming process! I’ve discovered a lot of interesting music that I otherwise wouldn’t have encountered - for example, my love for funk music came from listening to Sly and the Family Stone, listed semi-frequently here.

Pokemon:

When I was ~7 years old, I had collected enough money to buy half a used Game Boy Pocket and Pokémon Blue (my parents covered the other half). I didn’t know any English at this point, but I learned through playing. Being just a kid, I never understood why the Elite Four Slowbro would use Amnesia - it didn’t deal any damage. I remember being super frustrated at how difficult it was to kill though! My best friend got Pokémon Gold and I frequently borrowed his Game Boy Color and Gold to play, we also played together quite a lot. This is absolutely the best game I’ve seen in the series, although the glitches in RBY are very fun. I have some experience with Pokémon Ruby as well, but not as intense as the former, and since I didn’t ever buy another Game Boy than my initial Game Boy Pocket, my Pokémon career was limited.

Last year I actually bought a 2DS and Pokémon Y, but I didn’t even get past the fourth gym before I put the game down. In-game playing just wasn’t the same.

My first encounter with competitive Pokémon was around 2006 or 2007 I think - it was during late ADV or early DP, not sure, but the generation I played was ADV at least. I wanted to try playing competitively, despite not knowing a lot about the Pokémon introduced since Pokémon Gold I had read a lot on Serebii, and somehow found out about tiers as well. I downloaded NetBattle (I think?) and made an OU legal team, and went out to find games. My first game was vs. a bad player who used Ubers. I made predictions and still beat him with my OU mons, but I was annoyed that I couldn’t get an OU game. My next game was vs. a Baton Pass chain with an Umbreon lead, using Mean Look and Sand-Attack before initiating the chain. This was so mindboggingly dumb that I quit and didn’t look back until february 2010, when I started playing in-game RBY on my phone and asked for a competitive team that could be created without having to trade or resort to glitches. I didn’t make any active attempt to get into the competitive scene, I just wanted to know what was good.

In March 2011, I was browsing SmashBoards and found a post by user t3h Icy. He was one of my favorite contributors to the Melee scene and was applying for a moderator post on SmashBoards. As a reference to his good qualities, he mentioned that he was the administrator of a forum dedicated to competitive Red/Blue/Yellow, RBY2K10. My interest was sparked and I followed the link. It was a very unfortunate time to join - the notorious user GGFan (http://pokemon-online.eu/threads/a-conversation-with-a-pokemon-legend.23694/) had just got banned for lying about not fighting a set vs. someone else and caused huge drama along the way. Still, I got introduced and showed great promise in my play even early on, making predictions naturally. Of course I wasn’t perfect from the start...but it was enough for Icy to dub me a “shooting star”. In the first three tournaments I played, I finished second in all of them, taking down some notable names along the way. The metagames were janky though - RBY OU without Sleep Clause, RBY UU and RedWhiteBlue (only Normal/Water/Fire attacking moves allowed). In my first RBY OU tournament I went down in the second round to Earthworm and the losers bracket game didn’t get played out as I recall, so yeah. To this very day I still seem to fail to place first, whereas I’ve placed second in POCL 2013, POCL 2014 and POWC 2014 (and in POWC 2015 we lost in semifinals to the eventual winners, same thing when I lost to Finchinator in quarterfinals (iirc?) of the Old Generations Tour and he went on to win it all).

Pokemon Online:

Weird as it may sound to some now, PO didn’t always have support for the older generations! When I joined RBY2K10 and started my official Pokémon career, NetBattle Supremacy was the place to play on, as PO had only just introduced GSC mechanics and RBY was still far off. Unfortunately for me NetBattle was way past its prime, with Pokémon Online and Pokémon Showdown being more popular places to play on due to their superior interfaces and actually having support for generation 5 battles, which NetBattle Supremacy did not have. We (as in the RBY community at large) had been promised RBY mechanics support for almost 1½ year before it finally happened at New Years 2011/2012...but for reasons inexplicable to me, the mechanics that were introduced were not cartridge mechanics, but the mechanics from Pokémon Stadium! For the uninitiated, this amounts to a massive change in how the game is played, so the community wasn’t satisfied. On top of that, some hilarious glitches were around early on (Reflect/Light Screen were infinite for two weeks before being fixed, Sky Attack had a 100% critical hit ratio and 10% flinch chance), but in June/July 2012 (memory fails me) cartridge mechanics at long last got supported. In a twist, Stadium mechanics were completely nixed. It took a very long time to get Stadium mechanics support back in place again, and I still don’t know if it is properly implemented to be honest (I really don’t enjoy Stadium mechanics). During the initial days of RBY introduction, I was allowed into the mods-only chat because I could easier engage with the developers there, making for easier ironing out of bugs (since then I have reported over 30 bugs in the Bugs sub-forum, most of them around this time). I failed to make a lasting impression and I wasn’t really active either so I got swiftly kicked out once the initial rounds of fixing was done.

I didn’t really engage heavily with the non-RBY world after this, but I did make some friends. Blimlax joined the RBY community on a whim and he beat me in his first RBY battle ever. He tried to convince me to play in some weird team tournament on Smogon (note that Smogon allowed Wrap, which I hated with a burning passion, thus I didn’t care about them in general), called Smogon Premier League. I was supposed to be a 3k sneaky pickup for Blimlax’s team, but got recognized by the aforementioned Earthworm and I ended up becoming the 4th most expensive RBY player that tour. After getting some ridiculously bad luck in a lot of games I ended at a 3-6 record and our team didn’t make playoffs, and I went back to PO, not keeping contact with any teammates beyond Blim. It made me realize that team tournaments was fun though!

Before that, I had made my first mark on the PO scene by becoming the RBY OU gym leader in November 2012, a position I kept for three seasons until I got promoted to Elite Four three seasons ago. I think at this point I’m the person who has been involved in the league the longest without a break. My record was good, I think I ended at a 21-4 record. The following season, my status as one of the premier RBY OU players on the PO scene was reinforced when I went 21-2. In this process, I also made friends with some people - Pokemonnerd, Luck>Skill and Weavile were the most notable persons I met around this time. I also met The Dude and engaged in funny banter with a lot of the italian community, but overall I still wasn’t that big on knowing others.

Then I joined POCL 2013 and this is really where I begin. I was drafted to play for Spartak Stunfisks and despite being a “name”, I was only the fifth most expensive RBY player, which in hindsight is kind of hilarious (another great RBY player, Lutra, was the sixth most expensive player in the tier, and with the exception of Hantsuki I think it’s fair to say that none of the players who went for more than us were worth the money). While trash talking with italian hashtags and boasting about how the competition was all free wins for me, I managed to actually keep my word and started out by going 5-0. By week 6, we were already confirmed for playoffs and in week 7 we didn’t even need to tie, we had already secured first seed. In the end, I finished with a 6-2 record and my first - of many - second place in a team tour. Through this tournament I became friends with VuvuzelaBzz, Finchinator and CasedVictory. Some conversations later and I got invited to the infamous Rage Channel., which is where I’ve really became familiar with the ins and outs of Pokémon and made most of my Pokémon friends.

Since then I’ve just coasted along, making Good Posts™ in various topics along the way, giving me HELLA likes and also a fancy Tiering Contributor badge despite never really having played any generation beyond 1-3 at a competitive level (main achievement would be writing the Ubers tiering policy with ZoroDark). At some point I also got turned into a forum moderator for the old generations section, which I rule laissez-faire style.

I’m still playing Pokémon, too! I am one of the best active RBY players and I’m trying to improve my GSC game to reach similar levels. New generations can wait, preferably until they are dead.

Quick shoutouts because holy fuck this is longer than the average Finchinator post:

t3h Icy - for introducing me to competitive Pokémon to begin with

Rage Channel - all the guys from 2013 who still play Pokémon, you’re all the best. New kids are also cool though! Special shoutouts to the Finch, Cased, Belgian Brothers, Weavile, Luck>Skill, Bugzinator, ALLALA, Z+V (rip :( ), Sulcata, New Breed, Withoutatrace, Choolio, Proof, Meh, and many others that I cannot remember to write down right now.

Spartak Stunfisks - absolutely the best POCL team across time despite never having won the title.

Team Europe - Always the most fun team to play with and captain. Got to know a lot of good players here and I was happy to captain it this year.

Finchinator - TOTTENHAM TAUROS 2K15

Hack - SWÄRJE

if you have any questions feel free to ask ^_^

2. Email

Email reformed xd

PO Trainer Name:
    Email
    First ;D
    Favorite movie?
    Character you hate the most in smash?

Favorite smash game?

3. Ice Tea

Ice Tea :^#)

How are ur thought of Tauros in RBY

4. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    I don't really watch movies to be honest. I saw Spy at the cinema the other day and that was fun...but uh. Pulp Fiction is good!
    Dear lord I cannot STAND fighting against Peach with any character not named Shiek. It's such a bore godDAMN.

Melee is absolutely my favorite smash game. I'd rank them as follows: Melee >> 64 > PM > Sm4sh > Brawl.

vry good nd skill based mon.

MetalGross and Email like this.
  5. Zoroark

Zoroark Aka Flare Forum Moderator Server Moderator Forum Moderator Server Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    SkyPhoenix / Zoroark
    1) RIP Shoutouts
    2) Get me a free passport for Stockholm y/y
    3) If y, recommend me a good place to visit in Stockholm.
    4) Favorite Anime?
    5) Do you like Cars? If so, what's your fav one?
    6) Your Opinion on the PO Community the way it is now.
    7) How do you think you can Improve the Community?
    8) Favorite food/beverage?
    9) Favorite Video Game that is not Pokemon?
    10) Favorite Hobby?
    11) Preferred Melee character?
    12) Favorite Sport?
    13) Wanna go to the Gröna Lund one day?
    14) Do you think Fox is one of best Melee characters?

6. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    1. y
    2. its not that expensive to get one D:
    3. difficult question. The Globe is worth a visit, so is the Vasamuseum, other than that I recommend just walking down the major streets to get a feel for Stockholm.
    4. I don't watch anime D:
    5. i dont even have a drivers license :(
    6. For me, the PO community has slowed down. When I was new, Smogon wasn't an alternative for discussing RBY nor playing, and PO was the natural home for me. These days...not so sure. I'm still more engaged in the old generations and I already know everyone engaging in old gens banter on PO, so uh, more new blood?
    7. By Playing Exciting Games for People to Enjoy! Also, being a good team captain
    8. Tacos mmmmmm. Milk is tasty!
    9. Super Smash Bros. Melee no questions asked.
    10. Uh, hanging out? Listening to new music, I guess...does that count? I actively explore new music so it must count!!
    11. Dr. Mario vs. non-top tiers, Shiek vs. top tiers. Marth is also fun to play!
    12. Soccer when it comes to watching, none really when it's about participating on my own. I'm not a physical guy.
    13. Sure if you pay, or if there's a good concert there
    14. 20XX is real

Zoroark likes this.
  7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

So you say you're not physical. Are you really an advanced AI sent by Nintendo to gauge interest in rby? Or just a ghost that can use a computer?

8. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    mainly im just bad at lifting/english :(

9. Fuzzysqurl

Fuzzysqurl baa baa mareep I do what I want Server Owner Developer I do what I want Server Owner Developer

I am VERY disappointed you only mentioned Tauros in your shoutouts and not anywhere else.

10. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

ur fedorable
    pikachu will take your soul imo
    how much does ur mum like tauros

ok now for the important questions:

Why Isa and not Isa-?
    Why do you prefer past/dead gens over the current ones?
    Anything you think is underdeveloped or has a lot of potential in RBY? GSC?

11. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Favourite non-OU meta from GSC/RBY?
    What are your thoughts on how the meta developed in the wake of Crystal's changes?
    If you could take one rby mechanic and apply it to another gen, what would it be? Conversely, what about applying a later-gen mechanic to rby?
    Is Scizor viable outside that one bp team?
    For that matter, what are your thoughts on bp teams in general?
    Most underrated rby and/or gsc battler?
    Do you think limiting RBY LC mons to moves they can learn naturally in rby, even tho the meta is only possible via tradebacks is a good idea?

Favourite swedish band?
    Favourite movie?
    Do you game much outside of SSB and PO? If so, what's your favourite?
    Favourite flavour of milkshake?

something something fight button for wrap, stadium crit rates, rby tradebacks, rby ubers not stadium tradeback

Disaster Area likes this.
  12. The Dude

The Dude The Mannis

Solid post man!

What country / place do you want to go to the most?

How badly do you want to leave India (hyperbole pls)?

Goals for the next few years?

Thoughts on each generation of Pokemon?

Least favourite Poke? Aesthetically and Competitively?

What Films / Books have you been meaning to read / watch but haven't?

Go read / watch them now, okay?

13. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Hi

Why is furniture from ikea so hard to put together?

What do you think of Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

Do you know Isa is a girls name in Holland?

Which starter did you pick in pokemon blue? And why?

Will I be in team EU next year?

Bye

14. Isa

Isa Well-Known Tauros

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    check my gym threads from when i was rby ou leader and the pokemon in the spotlight may surprise you!!
    oh you~
    rip raikou
    we banned tauros at home

Isa has always been my original nick. When I joined PO to talk to ete and other devs, Isa was registered and so I had to go with something else. I've used Isa-- in the past in those cases but on PO I could only enter Isa- for some reason :( When Isa finally got unregistered I snatched it and haven't looked back.
    The smaller amount of threats and the steadiness of a stable metagame that doesn't change with any given ban is a thing I appreciate. I'd never be able to be a long term competitor in any lower tier due to the frequent changes in what's legal and what's not.
    RBY is mostly explored at this point but Kingler has a lot of interesting potential that might have been underused in the past. GSC, not as sure. I'd love to make Porygon2 work - but mono-Normal typing in Snorlax tier is just asking for a big Machamp weakness without adding anything else to the table defensively. :( Espeon seems cool too.
    RBY NU. It's amazingly fun. I can't name a GSC tier that'd be my favorite over OU - it's not Ubers though.
    I think a summary of the changes would be that the advantage of using Body Slam is now lower, and having access to Thunder Wave/Stun Spore/Amnesia/Psychic is more favorable than earlier, leading to a drop in viability for the rocks (as we've noted), however due to the consequent rise in Electrics their niche is still healthy.
    I think Hyper Beam in RBY has a really cool mechanic and would like to have seen that elsewhere. Counter though...Countering the last move used is amazing, I love it.
    THAW FROM FREEZES, CHANGE WRAP. dear lord these mechanics are awful.
    Scizor sucks and everyone knows it. RIP ever breaking a steel type or Zapdos or mostly anything else.
    Baton Pass in GSC is unreliable at best. It's supremely matchup dependent and also requires a lucky lead matchup to not get bonked from the start, more or less. I'd never use it vs. someone I believed to be an inferior player to me.
    Most underrated in GSC: @Choolio
    Most underrated in RBY: Tough call. Lutra went for less than he should have in the SPL auction, but I D K. I'll rep a dead person who deserved more praise than he got while he was alive - we miss you @ALLALA
    If we're gonna actually make a limit on RBY LC mons rather than just accepting that we're playing a fully illegal meta, then we're better off using tradebacks than playing with Tackle/Pound as our only moves.

BOB HUND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d94b7iYGq_M
    didnt i already answer favorite movie ?_?
    I don't play a lot actually. I'm a fan of DotA 2 and I really enjoyed playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I'm looking forward to Mankind Divided in 2016, but other than that I don't play a lot of games. I just finished Portal 2 though!
    Strawberry?

Disaster Area likes this.
  15. E.T.

E.T. METAMORPHOSIS! Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    1. What is your favorite Pokémon? Why? If you answered Tauros, what is your second favorite Pokémon? Why?

2. What is your least favorite Pokémon? Why?

3. Do you remember the RBY Draft tour that @Golden Gyarados hosted on Pokémon Perfect? Do you remember me haxing you to death in that tour?

4. What is your favorite RBY UU Pokémon to use in RBY OU? Why?

5. What is your favorite and least favorite RBY LC Pokémon? Why?

6. Which have you enjoyed more: being PO League RBY OU gym leader or Elite Four member? Why?

7. Which do you think is better: RBY OU or GSC OU? Why? Which do you enjoy more?

8. Do you like the RBY OU meta better the way it is now or the way it was before the glitches (Body Slam mechanics with Normals, etc) were discovered? Why?

9. If you had to specialize in an ORAS tier, what tier would you pick? Why?

10. What is your favorite Super Smash Bros. character for each of the main series games? What are your thoughts about Jigglypuff in each game?

16. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    1- Do you have a brother named Musa?
    2- Why Tauros?
    3-Tips for new/tryhard players.

17. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Do you dislike smash 4 because it's "worse" than melee or do you like/enjoy it for the game it is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.