1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Video Games] Best video games of all time?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by [OG]Swanna Lady, Jul 4, 2015.

1. [OG]Swanna Lady

[OG]Swanna Lady New Member

Hi. I was looking through the forums and was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this! Use this thread to discuss the Top 10 best games of all time (opinions).
    Here's my list:

1. Shadow of the Colossus (10/10) (Plays with your emotions a little too much)

2. Portal (9/10) (Never breaks the tone of the game and added something new)

3. Cities: Skylines (9/10) (Best city-building game, especially that new SimCity *shudder*)

4. GTA V (8.5/10) (SO MUCH FREEDOM)

5. Okami (8/10) (Very artistic (if polarizing) and also plays with your emotions)

6. Red Faction: Guerrilla (8/10) (Amazing physics engine and added destruction to the world of games)

7. Mario Kart 8 (8/10) (omg dem pwetty grafics.......... anyway, first Mario Kart where I didn't dislike any tracks)

8. The Sims 3 (8/10) (SO MUCH FREEDOM and pwetty grafics)

9. Pokemon Black/White (8/10) (Was a huge gamble and the story was the strongest of the pokemon games imo)

10. BeamNG.Drive/Spintires (Can't really rate these yet/10) (Shared slot at #10 because neither of these games are actually fully released yet, but both have a hugely amazing physics engine which is enough to get it onto the list.

You are NOT allowed to mention Legend of Zelda OOT. Highly overated.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Oooo boy. Firstly there's a huge difference between "best" and "favourite" imo. I consider Chrono Trigger to be the greatest game I have ever played but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Spec Ops: The Line, which was a flawed game (although still a masterpiece)

I'm gonna roll with my favourite 10 games. Also bear in mind that there's probably a few games that I'm simply forgetting about that might change the list up

1) Deus Ex: Human Revolution- For the most part it had fantastic level design and gameplay, but that's not important. The world is designed from the ground up with very clear ideas and concepts to explore, and the world is indeed rich with different situations that challenge you to think about the world around us. Getting that one biochip upgrade and the consequences of that decision represent one of the greatest moments of gaming in my opinion. Comparisons to the original Deus Ex are obviously important, but I think the original is held back by the time of its release as it fails to create a rich, interesting world like DE:HR

2) The Stanley Parable- The most philosophical game in existence, manages to be utterly hilarious while challenging you to think about a range of different concepts. I also love it because this is a game that really pushes at the boundaries of what is possible for a game to accomplish, and is literally impossible to recreate in any other medium. Also it's so utterly different from other games that even if you loathe normal games there is no excuse for having not played this.

3) Journey- Journey is simply put, one of the most powerful emotional experiences ever. It is a game so simple, so beautiful that it's difficult to describe how powerful it is. Also appreciate the role of multiplayer, it incorporates it fantastically.

4) Spec Ops: the Line- One of the most confronting games you can play. Savagely attacks the concept of the hero, and especially its appearance in modern military shooters. Another game that exploits the potential of video games to its fullest, especially with the White Phosphorus scene being one of the most memorable moments ever.

5) Final Fantasy X- An old favourite of mine, unlike the others I've mentioned thus far which push the boundaries of what gaming is, this simply sticks to telling a brilliant story, complemented by one of the best soundtracks of all time. The funny thing is, the story isn't even that clear, since the entire backstory of Zanarkand is alluded to but really explained

6) Bioshock Infinite- Loved it, totally enjoyable from start to finish. The story wasn't as intellectually rewarding as the original Bioshock imo, but it was sure as hell a lot more engaging. I also loved that it developed the shooting mechanics a bit.

7) The Last of Us- I got halfway through the game and thought to myself "this is so underwhelming, looks like another acclaimed game that I don't think much of". Then I finished the rest of it. Suffice to say that I had no idea I'd care so deeply about the characters, and the later stages of the game affected me deeply, as they were confronting and the ending simply made me feel like a horrible person, even though I'm not sure I would've done anything differently

Steep dropoff beyond this point

8) Portal 2- Just a really funny game, with brilliant writing and excellent gameplay

9) Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days- This one probably stands out, since afaik it's regarded as one of the worst games of the series. However Roxas/Axel/Xion are characters I really fell in love with, seeing them develop bonds with one another was really special, and it made the ending really powerful, especially having played KH2 already. Also fuck Sora, most annoying character I've ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

10) Bioshock- I wasn't sure what to put here. Bioshock struggled to make the list because the first half of the game is simply tedious, as the present story is practically non-existent and you haven't put together enough pieces of backstory to get much out of it. But once things get going its story rounds out into a piece of brilliance, one that explores the nature of power and free will. Also it's another game that simply doesn't work as well if told in another medium

Random shoutouts:
    Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn- This game made levelling characters a fun challenge rather than a grind. That's seriously remarkable.

Kingdom Hearts- It has some really special moments, also I don't remember getting pissed off at Sora, so he can't have been as annoying as in KHII

Chrono Trigger- I didn't really get into the story. Only having your active party available for story moments combined with the fact that I rotated them regularly meant I never connected with the characters, also fuck silent protagonists. However the gameplay is just perfect. Everything was balanced to amazing perfection, the double/triple techs were a nice twist on the ATB system. On top of that, storytelling and gameplay were also perfectly balanced. As someone interested in designing games, this is a masterpiece

Deus Ex- I already kinda covered this, but subtract DE:HR's rich world and add a much better ending to the story as well as being a good deal more subtle (which isn't something I appreciate)

Portal- Same as Portal 2, except 2 is funny from the get-go while Portal takes a while to build up

Random shitouts:
    Half life series- Massive chore to play through, story is atrocious and is overall simply boring. Half Life 2 shows promise early on with its dystopic setting only to kill off any semblance of a story through endless levels of enemies that feel totally divorced from any story experience

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep- I loved the Kingdom Hearts series until I played this game, then every flaw in the series was horrendously exposed. Gameply is beyond frustrating as bosses follow inconsistent rulesets and I found that the most optimal strategy was spamming dodge roll until I could cast a spell, and the story's structure is beyond atrocious killing of any possibility of enjoying it, while the ending is inexcusably bad- it leaves you with absolutely no fucking clue what's going on or what just happened.

Almost any open world game ever- Wow what a surefire way to kill off any interest in a story. Why the fuck would you bother creating a story only to incentivise players doing things that very clearly aren't related to the main plot. It's not as though it's easy to ignore the billion or so sidequests on offer, as they represent things to do and opportunities to improve your character, then by the time you resume the main plotline you can't eve remember what's going on or why you're supposed to give a shit. I have yet to play an open world game doesn't lose focus on its core story (unless you count the open world sections of the Deus Ex games lol). The exception is where there's no pretense about having a story, and players are instead given a set of tools with which to create their own experiences (e.g. Minecraft). Then I simply accept those games aren't my kind of thing

Draciel and [OG]Swanna Lady like this.
  3. [OG]Swanna Lady

I will admit that those are just the top 10 best games that I've played, but it still stands anyway because...... well......... I wanted to get those games for a reason.

4. Weavile

Weavile Phoenix

I will list games that are really good. I make no promise they're the best or in any sensible order. I can't begin to rank every game I ever played.

Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix - A balanced version of KH2 which is the best game. 2.5 release had load time issues or w/e so we'll assume it's the original PS2 release which was Japanese only. The action is fast paced and the balancing in FM forces you to use not mash X(O in Japanese) or Triangle to win despite popular opinion. Unless you're playing Beginner mode but then you're bad anyway. Or you're a speedrunner then you have strats. It has such a great combat system and such an effective visual style. I just love it.

Super Meat Boy - It's completely lacking on story and I don't really find it very funny most of the time. But the gameplay of this game is so undeniably solid that I have to rate it as perhaps the best 2D pure platformer I've played. An Indie smash hit and it deserves every bit of praise it gets.

Sora no Kiseki - An exceptional JRPG with a great turn-based grid combat system. A wide cast of lovable characters, fun animations, a decent story and above all exceptional writing. It's funny, sad, challenging, rewarding and all round enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Super Metroid (special shoutouts to SoTN too.) - Super Metroid was a revolution in game design and story telling. Its silent method of telling the story of the lone Samus and allowing the player to experience her struggles and fear has been lauded by many people more capable than myself. I don't think I need to say why Super Metroid is good.

Pokémon - Yes I'm actually putting Pokémon on this list. Pokémon as a game is a standard if simple JRPG. But what Pokémon has done that no other game did is build an immersive world in and out of the game, with a huge social network and emphasis on the community aspects of play. Of course MMOs like WoW achieve this but what Pokémon does is allow hours upon hours of solo play, especially games like Emerald and Platinum with the extensive Battle Frontiers. Pokémon is its own experience unlike much else games can currently offer.

Mass Effect 2 - Mass Effect 1 was a decent game, it told an engaging story with some good characters and a grand but not insurmountable premise. Above all it set up for bigger things. While Mass Effect 2 doesn't deliver on all of the bigger things (and nor does ME3 really but it did address them at least) it is an excellent game play and storytelling experience. Despite being limited by the gross binary moral choice system it delivers on some gripping dialogue and action that get you invested into the world and the action within it. They could have cut out the mining for weapon upgrades thing but it's not so bad.

Touhou - I dislike bullet hell games in general I'm not going to lie. However despite this I am in awe of Touhou's music, productive fan-base and wide range of interesting characters. ZUN is a musical genius even when he basically uses the Runescape music engine for all his tunes. The games themselves are famous for being good bullet hell games but I'm not really qualified to rate this genre. I just want to shout it out because I'm into it right now (Thanks Cirno <3)

A defense of OoT -
    "Cowboy Bebop's overrated!"
    "Yes but it's hard not to be when you're an 11"
    OoT is a great game, yes it benefits from nostalgia for many people, but I didn't play it until 2012 because I never had Nintendo consoles and I assure you it held up just fine. It's an adventure you take along with link and it is excellent at immersing you in the adventure. The graphical capabilities of the N64 are obviously limited but the use of vivid colours and simple designs make it age better than it could have done, the game play is fun and sometimes challenging. Given situations have limited solutions but you never feel railroaded into a certain path with the exception of the water temple. Which is a standard-poorly designed level in a game that has only well designed levels aside from it, and thus stands out as infamous. You can say it's not the best game ever and I'll agree with you. I'd say it's not even the best Zelda (based Wind Waker). But if you're trying to imply it's not an exceptional game I'm afraid you're wrong.

Duster likes this.
  5. [OG]Swanna Lady

OoT Really isn't exceptional, I'd prob rate it a 7.5/10

6. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

i wonder how many people hopped on the ocarina of time is overrated wagon after egoraptor released that video lol

honestly though, some of his points are somewhat valid. i only played majora's mask when i was a kid, and i didn't play oot until like last year, and imo the overworld of oot felt like a drag. the sidequests and exploration in majora's mask are much better than oot, where most sidequests are stuff like running all around hyrule delivering stuff, not very exciting

where oot was really great was immersion through the dungeons
    the music, atmosphere, and overall feel in all the dungeons really immerses you and makes you feel like you're in the dungeon.
    even the water temple would be a cool dungeon if it weren't for the annoying af gameplay

imo the thing that egoraptor does way too much in his videos is try to force a game into being just like the previous game instead of just looking at the game for what it is holy shit i sound like a nerd

btw majoras mask is best zelda, links awakening best 2d

planescape torment is probably the best novel in rpg form. yea i usually hate isometric rpgs, and the combat is pretty bad but damn the story is rly good

and super metroid has the best atmosphere in a game ever
    maridia is the best area of the game the quicksand isn't even that bad

majoras mask best zelda not even close
    theres so much shit to do and looking for hearts is actually fun wow!! being a zoras rly fun too
    i guess the main story is pretty short but at least stone towers a rly good dungeon

and ofc age of empires ii is the best rts ever so funn
    theres nothing like sending army of 30 elephants to burn down a village ha

E.T. likes this.
  7. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

OoT just has final fantasy VII syndrome where it is a good game but nothing spectacular; however the fact that it's the first time truly moving to a 3D world that makes it so memorable for people who weren't 10 or 12 at the time. Majora's mask was an overall better game and fine tuned what OoT introduced.

I'm just going to mention some games I've played that are the best in my eyes.

Ar tonelico II was a pretty amazing game. The first one seemed more like an obvious beta, with a nice story behind it but pretty standard rpg gameplay with a nuke standing behind you. AT2 really balanced out the reyvateil system and combat is a lot more interesting since it's basically a rhythm game when you're defending. I wouldn't play the third game though. Just too much fan service for me.

Skyrim was and still is very fun through me as I'm playing through as a new character again. You can say this iteration isn't as strong in its story or characters but bethesda focused on the main thing that matters: gameplay. Not to say this world isn't bad, but some people would say morrowind was better.

Final fantasy X is, as of right now, the last game in the series I've played that put you on rails for most of it but was still a blast to experience. Fake laughing scene aside which was supposed to be cringe worthy, the story is excellent and the game play especially is on point, post game quick hit spamming aside. Also, hate the combat system all you want but Final Fantasy XII gets special mention from me.

Jade Cocoon 2 will always be one of my favorite games ever. Take pokemon, make the art and monster designs look more like "realistic" mutated animals, and throw in a whole bunch of side quests and a more tactical battle system and you have this gem of a game. Quirky characters, lots of team configs and an okay excuse plot to move things along. If you can play it I'd recommend it.

I'll probably post more as I think about them and have time.

8. Afro Smash

Afro Smash Mfw I'm living the Australian dream

PO Trainer Name:
    Afro Smash
    In no particular order, and this is with nostalgia in mind:
    Bioshock
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    Mario Kart DS/Double Dash
    Smash Wii U
    Persona 4
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    The Witcher
    CoD MW2 (Multiplayer)
    Gears of War 3 (Multiplayer)

Honourable Mentions:
    Mass Effect 2
    Borderlands
    Final Fantasy Tactics A2 DS
    Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
    Lord of the Rings 2 & 3
    Batamn Arkham Asylum
    Resident Evil 4 Wii edition
    LoZ: A Link Between Worlds
    Pokemon
    NBA 2K series

9. Domo Genesis

Domo Genesis Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Domo Genesis
    nba 2k15

10. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

oml don't get me started on nba games, I'd love to play them but I can't stand their control schemes. I've never encountered one that didn't feel incredibly awkward and cumbersome

11. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Not gonna make a list but am gonna mention The Elder Scroll series is one of the best series that I've followed this far. For those who have played Skyrim (Which is the latest in the series.) would know this thing is a tad bit flawed simulator of what reality itself is.I love it how the people at Bethesda make every possible effort at getting even the slightest of details in these games right and the open wide world and the huge array of actions that a player can pull off in Skyrim only go to further prove that (For those who haven't played it,yes. You can walk into every building there is in this world, and no.There isn't a shortage of buildings in turn, so you get what I'm saying when I mean this thing is more or less a reality simulator. Furthermore, you get to choose from anything. From being the badass warrior you always wanted to be,to alchemy and smithing,all the way to being a sneaky thief who pickpockets the kings wife,rip.).Tes will always be one of the best sides of the RPG genre for me, and is pretty much the series that got me interested in RPG in the first place.
    (Edit:Read Pnerd's post and recalled how Skyrim and Oblivion's questing system was just crap when compared to Morrowind.Let's not be hasty and judge the former two though,coz Morrowind's questing scheme puts pretty much every other game to shame.)
    Apart from that,I really seem to like some of the old Gameboy titles mainly for their plots and twisted storylines but lol,idk where to start. For one I'm gonna say of all the titles I've played this far Chrono Trigger and the Lufia series have been titles I've really enjoyed while the tactics ogre games have had me put in the most effort (I'm not sure if the games were really hard or if it was just me being 9..).There's no way for me to decided between these really as all of them have had elements that have stood out over most other games of that generation and I can't make up my mind on how to rank these.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  12. Umbreonwolf

Umbreonwolf New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Umbreonwolf
    EXUSE ME?! ZELDA IS THE BEST GAME TO EVER EXIST! (Besides Pokémon) HOW COULD YOU SAY ITS OVERRATED?! BOTW 2 IS COMING OUT SOON!

--- Post updated ---
    Plus I haven’t played majoras mask yet (‘cus it’s hella expensive) but I’ve seen videos of it and I can say it’s one of the best games IN THE WORLD