1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2 OU] Poliphemus - The heir of Posiedon.

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by Haze Victory, Jul 20, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

[​IMG]
    Wassup PO community?It's Haze Victory here,with my latest RMT.And since the RMT section has been dead for more than a while now,this seems like one of the best times to post one.
    For those who know me,I've been on the competitive scene for quite some time now,and having been from a generation of viable stall have seen this playstyle evolve and grow into the thing it is right now.Regardless to say I am a defensive minded player who really prefers bulky teams over faster frail ones and is one who hates getting involved in speed wars and hax damages that he cannot recover back.It goes without saying that I am a player who really prefers stall over other much faster paced playstyles,and that stall is hands down,the single best playstyle that allows one to escape the aforementioned social norms.Though..There is one thing I hate more than getting involved in social norms like speed battles and mindgames..And that is being Passive.

*ENTER NON-PASSIVE SEMI STALL*
    (Truth be said,I find it hard deciding whether this would be considered semi stall or simply full stall.I go with semi stall as it doesn't drag on battles for 80+ turns and is much aggressive than the traditional full stall.)

So anyway,having had played through BW2,and as I don't seem to find ORAS OU to be nearly as interesting as any of the older OU tiers,I decided to revisit it.And in a generation of permanent weather and loads of utility to stall I chose to go with stall over Bulky offense for this once.It was worth noting that unlike the current generation (Oras,as I type this.),Defog hadn't been buffed at the time of Bw2 and that Rapid spinning was the only sure form of hazard removal.Paired with loads of passive utility and reduced weakness on certain very viable mons,Rain soon turned out to be the most appealing of weathers for my team here.It is also worth noting that one of the most viable spikers of Bw2 OU worked best in rain and that rain was the only playstyle out there with an inducer capable of running Perish Song.Furthermore,a certain spinner of Bw2 OU was buffed to tremendous levels in rain and also removed Toxic Spikes directly on entering the battlefield,which is one of the best abilities that came with spinning in rain,as most people simply don't realize how great a threat Toxic Spikes poses to stall teams and that spinning in order to remove it in the presence of a spin blocker is simply an absurd idea.With all these niches being filled in by some very viable mons that I had in mind,at this point it was decided that rain was going to be the weather that was gonna strenghten my team.

*Without further ado,let's get on with the team-*
    [​IMG]
    (Credits to [email protected] for the fan art.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Now before I get into the details,Ima remind you'll once again that I completed this team on android.What this means is that certain Pokemon do not have their Iv's altered yet,at the point of I rmt-ing this.Though I will be giving out pointers at the end of every set that can have it's Iv's altered in order to make it work better,so that my brothers and sisters on the PC can make the best out of it.)

*Here goes,*

[​IMG]
    Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Hurricane
    - Roar
    - Substitute

- Roost

A classic sweeper of the tier and one of the bulkiest powerhouses around,now given a bulky spread and utilized as the best phazer the team could have asked for.There were two reasons to use Dragonite here.The first being Dragonite being one of the best resist to grass and water in the tier,and the second being that Poison heal Breloom has always been a bitch by nature;The latter of reasons being far more invaluable of the two.
    I mention Dragonite as the first mon on my rmt,though it had been the second last addition to my team infact.This is due to the order of placement of my building,and Dragonite isn't what I usually lead off with.Dnite is the primary phazer of the team,and the given spread makes it incredibly bulky to fulfill this role.
    Update Dnite to 0 Atk Iv's.This isn't a physical sweeper and doesn't need to take any excessive foul play damage.
    [​IMG]
    Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    - Protect

One of the premiere spikers of Bw2 OU,Lord Ferrothorn.This was the spiker I long had in mind,and was one of the main reasons to why I chose rain when starting out with this team.There were many reasons for choosing Ferrothorn over the other spikers of the tier when starting out with the build.For instance,unlike Skarmory,Ferro bought an electric resistance to the table.Unlike Forretress,possessed semi-reliable recovery.Unlike Roserade,had great mixed bulk.And like all the aforementioned,bought along a 4x grass resistance with it.The only place it got outclassed by Forretress however,was Ferro's lack of ability to spin,but that wasn't an issue anyway,as I already had a different spinner in mind prior to building,and wasn't gonna stand spinning with anything else.It is also worth noting that Ferrothorn's 4x Fire weakness is patched up to a huge extent in rain,and it's fighting weakness is next to completely patched up by Tentacruel which uses pretty much every Fighting type in the tier as Toxic Spike bait.If in an event that Tentacruel falls or gets weakened,Spiritomb comes to Ferrothorn's rescue.
    Ferrothorn's is also a perfect candidate as a Stealth Rock setter,but it doesn't run such on this team as it is pressurized enough from Spiking and setting rocks is something Swampert does incredibly well.Also,Ferrothorn is one of the two Dragon checks on the team and is a solid check to nearly all forms of Latios in rain.One needs to scout for Trick on Latios however as it shuts down Ferrothorn to a huge extent and protect accomplishes this in the easiest manner possible.It also racks up some valuable Lefties and Leech seed recovery between turns and greatly helps with overall longetivity.
    Immediately update Ferrothorn to 0 Speed Iv's.This should be a no brainer as it's something that provides Gyro Ball with the maximum base power.
    Updating the Iv's on android isn't possible at this point but Ferro still hits boosted dragons darn hard despite not changing the speed Iv's,and I'll strongly advise against replacing this with Power Whip for the reasons mentioned.
    [​IMG]
    Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Ice Beam

Needless to say the weather inducer,a staple to win the weather war for rain teams.Politoed is the mon I started off with and for good reasons here.For starters,it is the only weather inducer capable of running perish song and the weather it brings along greatly helps strenghten Ferrothorn and Tentacruel.For those who don't understand the importance of Perish Song on a stall team,let's just say it's your fighting chance against Crocune and Curselax.
    Physically defensive Politoed in order to deal with Tyranitar better as Ninetails's attacks aren't doing much to it in rain anyway.One still has to watch out for Energy Ball on opposing ninetails though,at which point just pivot around with Dragonite and make sure you get early rocks up,as this will greatly help with the weather war against opposing sun teams;And also opposing Hail teams as one has to constantly watch out for Abomasnow in this case.
    Update Politoed to 0 Atk Iv's to minimize Foul Play damage.
    [​IMG]
    Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Protect

The Rapid Spinner and a surefire way of Toxic Spike removal.Tentacruel boasts immense special bulk,and while possesses a mere poison typing more than makes up for it with the passive recovery that it experiences in rain.It is also due to these factors that Tentacruel is hands down one of the best fighting checks in the tier,being able of checking even top tier fighting mons such as Conkeldurr with ease.As a result Tentacruel forms near perfect synergy with Ferrothorn and the two together form the spiking part of the team.
    If in case your opponent is running a Sand/Hail team and doesn't happen to be runnig a poison type,immediately proceed to setting a layer of early Toxic Spike as this whittles down Tyranitar and Abomasnow incredibly fast between SR damage and Politoed's attacks.
    Update Tentacruel to 0 Atk Iv's to minimize Foul Play damage.
    [​IMG]
    Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Damp
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam
    - Roar

Classic HGSS Swampert,still bulky as fu*k,and fits right in.Team's second Dragon check and the rocksetter.Swampert is the only ground type on the team and is the only electric immunity as such.
    Earthquake is the obvious move on Swampert to take out Fire and Electric types while Ice beam makes a quick job of opposing dragons,Landorus and Gliscor and also hits incoming Breloom hard.The primary job of Swampert is to set rocks,check dragons and stop volt switches though,and shouldn't be used carelessly as it doesn't possess reliable recovery on it's part and will have to remain healthy in order to check dragons in the event that Ferrothorn falls or is unhealthy.
    Roar is an obvious move on Swampert to phaze out mons that have been trying to set up and this is especially useful when facing Sub CM Jirachi.
    Do not alter any Ivs on Swampert.

[​IMG]

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure/Infiltrator
    EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

The much needed spin blocker to preserve hazards.At this point Jellicent,Sableye and Spiritomb were the perfect candidates at the back of my mind as I wanted a spinblocker that was sturdy,had good mixed bulk,and worked equally well even outside rain.Sableye was soon ruled out as while it provided great utility,had atrocious defenses and as Wisp only possessed an accuracy of 75 in Bw2,which narrowed my choice down to Jellicent and Spiritomb.It was worth noting that while Jellicent was one of the sturdiest spinblocker around,it bought far more common weakness to the table in this case and did more harm than good.At this point it was obvious that Spiritomb would be the designated spin blocker of the team and having run it successfully in Hgss,added it in without hesitation.Spiritomb is the last member of my team,and has been a total counter to every form of Alakazam I have come across so far.This is something I further appreciate Spiritomb bringing to the table as Magic Guard Alakazam is rumoured to be one of the best stall breakers of the meta.
    RestTalk set for obvious recovery reasons and also helps counter Poison heal Breloom.If incase you come across one,let it Spore Spiritomb and then proceed to check it with Dragonite.
    The choice in ability is down to one's personal preference.Pressure helps Spiritomb out stall opponent PP before they do the same to Spiritomb,and Infiltrator helps Spiritomb ignore Reflect and Light screen which may be sightly beneficial against opposing HO teams.It is worth noting though that Infiltrator doesn't ignore substitutes in Bw2 and that a substitute will still block Wisp.
    Update Spiritomb to 0 Atk Iv's to minimize Foul Play damage.

IMPORTABLE :
    Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SDef
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Roar
    - Substitute
    - Roost

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    IVs: 0 Spd
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball
    - Protect

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Perish Song
    - Ice Beam

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Scald
    - Protect

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Damp
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam
    - Roar

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 SDef
    - Dark Pulse
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    And here's a shoutout to some of my buddies who've been a significant part of my journey so far.I usually don't do shoutouts,but since they have been such important parts of my journey and everybody loves these,why not ^_^?​
    @Joyverse - You get the first mention buddy,and thanks for naming this rmt when I couldn't come up with a name myself :D.Hopefully,I'll build myself a monotype team soon and catch you up at MD for Sam's all tier tourney ^_^.

@Jiten - Pretty much reks all my other friends,lol.I miss our Burning Desire days together mate,but that channel had to fall anyway :3.

@MUMU - Annoying as ever,but your insights really helped me grow back in my RAW days.You will always be one of the most twisted builders to me little sister ^_^.Tough your evil aura is pretty scary at times -_-' ..

@Jethalal - Wassup brother??Too bad I'm not as active on the server nowadays,but our WhatsApp chats have always been fun ^_^.Oh and am hoping you're playing in the tourney as well so I'll hopefully catch up with you then..Also,(Overthrow the Hindi gang for me will ya \( ̄<  ̄)>!??).

@LittleRoot - Little brother ^_^.I'm glad that team got you the success you deserved,and will be looking forward to building together again ^_^.You're transforming into a proficient builder yourself so I doubt you need me anymore,but if you do ever need help you know where to ask.I wish you the best of luck on your journey ahead,and set an example for the coming generation of players,will ya?

@Bolt - Yo Inception mate.Had some fun days back there and really miss our BD days.Hopefully,we'll get around to building a new home,replacing Burning Desire soon ^_^..Clan was bs tho,js :/.

@Ghost2Hunt -It's been a while mate.Our WhatsApp chats have always been fun,and gl for your Ps! Laddering and YouTube channel brother ^_^.Tho am hoping to see you return to Po as well lol,and maybe catch up with us here after your holidays are gone by.Too bad XY Ubers is no longer a tier lol :/..

@kentashi - Welcome back to PO,It's been a long time since the Castle days mate.Hopefully I'll get to see more of you on the Oras Ubers ladder now.You missed the XY times maybe..That meta was loads of fun,brother :/..

@Sam Holmes - /ck Uday y/y?And yeah,I broke past dem hell lol.Be wary of those cops by the shop mate,and maybe we'll get that beer someday :3.BTW,your team still sucks.Use the one from our last tournament battle maybe -_-.

Special mention to Yagami_light - I don't recognise his forum id but he's always been one of the wisest guys around and also one from whom I learned a lot of battle skills. I would always see this guy runing things like Durant and Crawdaunt,even in Bw Ou and pull them off incredibly well.I could never understand how.It was only until later that I realised that type synergy was the key to better building and not using overrated mons instead.This would be my shoutout to him.

Also,special mentions to my friend Diamondkid - Dude,I woulda given a kidney to see you back.There isn't much to say other than I had real fun building together back in the days,and if you are reading this,absolutely leave me a message on the forums!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  2. Jethalal

Jethalal (~o.o)~ So Spooky ~(o.o~)

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    Nice team mate like your other teams. I always liked your team building but im so bad at using stall because i lose my patience and chokes lol. Idk about gen 5 much but I'll use it for sure :3 Great Job!
    Thx for the shoutout and lastly Hindi Gang is cool bt I'll try lol

3. kentashi

kentashi Member

ah Nice team dont know what to say dont see any weakness but i suggest putting some special attack evs on dragonite ps thanks for the shoutout

4. LittleRoot

LittleRoot Active Member

Nice Team Friend!
    First of all ty for shoutout ^_^. I m lucky that I got a good frnd like u on po. U helped me in my every single team and become good player from worst. I m also bad at stall as Jethalal but will try.
    Once more thanx for helping me :3

5. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Yeah first shoutout! Good thing adding Poliphemus to the name, (Might suggest giving that nickname to Poli)
    As you mentioned Mag+Latios kinda bop you badly. And yeah if you play bad then sun based offense (ONLY MY SUN OFFENSE THEN!) also gets you hard with banded Tini once Politoed is gone. Perish song on Poli seems kinda... eh? Um why??? Also would suggest a mixed wall spread on Poli (try it out?) as tbolt from many pokes kill you under 45%. As for Spiritomb I like that spread, might use it. Overall your is S+ like I had mentioned before. Very few weaknesses (if there is any at all) and all of dem threats end up getting bopped by Tspikes (Infernape knows.. he really does ;-; )
    I am not really a stall player, always the BO dude, some pokemon from your team could actually synergize well with lots of pokemon used in BO actually. Dragonite can actually be really real in rain based offense with Thundy (Cuz fuck Breloom)

BTW always enjoy chatting with you guys at WhatsApp :3 and love u fams! Lets all download Skype and skype shall we?
    Monotype Discussion is always the place to train a noob like you. And yeah looking forward to our all friends tour!

6. Bolt

Bolt New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    [ INCEPTION ]Bolt
    Loved the team.. The building is kinda different I guess... great work my friend.

7. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Thanks for the rates everyone ^_^.

Thanks a lot,brother.As for stall,yea many people find it boring,haha.Though there was this awesome guide on Pokémon Reborn regarding the execution of stall,I'll share it with you as soon as I find it again,friend.

Interesting suggestion mate :O.Might give it a spin sometime..

You flatter me,haha.Your improvement was all you though,brother.You'll be one of the best plyers in no time as your determination is real ^_^.

Mag + Latias was indeed a threat,but it should be no threat as long a player can keep the rain up as Magnezone's Hidden power fire does only a max of 39%,and Ferro heals nearly the same amount over two turns between leech seed and lefties recovery (At the end of the second turn,heals back roughly 3-7% less Hp than what it initially had when it took the HP fire,assuming Ferro takes 35%-39% from the attack,which is the high range.The lower range would be 32%-35% in my books as the entire range of rng is 32-39% -252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 116-140 (32.9 - 39.7%)- ).
    As for perish song,it really helps against a mon like,let's say CM Rest Suicuine.Usually mons that set up can easily be phazed out,but when at a point in the game the Suicune keeps resting up up until the point to which all it's team mates have succumbed to hazard damage,the Suicuine merely has to set up to +6 before it's final sweep,as we cannot phaze out the last existing Suicuine on the opposing team.This is more or less a 'Click X' situation for stall teams,unless of course the team carries Perish song.Last minute sweeps are something even Semi Stall has to watch out for unfortunately :/..
    BTW,I lose to pretty much every offense past 1 in the morning XD.Maybe I should change my sleep routine,lol..

Skype would be pretty awesome :D.Next month maybe?

Thanks again bhai ^_^.

Joyverse likes this.
Moderators: Edna, fsk