1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[ORAS UU] VoltQuake, IceFall

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by inigomontoya, Sep 4, 2015.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. inigomontoya

inigomontoya Slightly Less Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    [INSERT SOMETHING HERE]

Hello PO, Welcome to another ever so COLORFUL ddrox13 RMT, this one about my struggling UU Team. I have dubbed it VoltQuake, IceFall using parts of a move on each pokemon's movesets. It really has no name. It is a mix of meta picks with off-meta sets and Mega Sharpedo. The teambuilding has changed a lot, So I have elected to include that section here as well. Ok, Ive talked enough now, heres your stinking team.

TEAMBUILDING:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]+Klefki
    Lets cut to the chase, shall we? I designed this team as a troll team to use in OU, so I started with my favorite troll sets: Scarf/SereneGrace Rachi and Toge, Lead Klefki, Cosmic Power Sigilyph, and Lv1 Cottonee for leech seed shenanigans. Donphan was there solely to spin.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]+Klefki
    Sigilyph was swapped for Cloyster because I didnt have enough damages.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    +Klefki
    At some point, I decided to move the team down to UU. This required simply removing Togekiss. I decided I wanted a Mega, and chose Sharpedo because sharks. and consistent damage. But mostly Sharks.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    +Klefki
    When I started actually coming close to winning a good number of matches, I decided to make the team less trolly. As much as I love Cottonee, the other two remaining members of the original squad seemed viable. The team at that point lacked any form of momentum, So I looked for a Volt Switch user. Galvantula is one of my favorite pokemon ever, and it can throw out Sticky Web as well as Volt Switch.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Everything dies soooo much, and I DONT LIKE IT. The team with two
    Water types and a Ground type ended up absurdly weak to the Fire types in UU, and I needed something to stop them. Cue Bulky Salamence.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    RIP the trollsquad. Team needed more bulk and momentum, so I tried to find a bulky
    V-Switch/U-Turn user. Probopass has great defenses and access to Volt Switch, So I decided to try it...

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Probopass ALSO has terrible offensive stats and terrible typing for this tier. If Rotom-W works so well in OU, I decided
    Rotom-H might work in UU.

THE TEAM

[​IMG]
    Chef Rotom (Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)

- Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Will-O-Wisp

- Thunder Wave

NAME: Chef Rotom seems appropriate for something that will be cooking his it's enemies
    MOVES: Volt Switch Provides a ton of useful switches, WoW cripples physical attackers, Overheat provides secondary STAB, and Thunder Wave punishes anyone who likes speed at all.
    OTHER STUFF: Specially defensive spread, lefties for recovery
    HOW DO?: Rotom is designed to tank an attack or two and get out alive with Volt Switch, while allowing you to likely get someone else in scratch-free. And Status.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: Something to replace Thunder Wave, sacking Defense in favor of more SpDef. Or just a new special wall. that works too.

[​IMG]
    Shark Tank (Sharpedo) (F) @ Sharpedonite
    Trait: Speed Boost (Mega: Strong Jaw)
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

- Ice Fang
    - Crunch
    - Waterfall
    - Protect

NAME: Shark Tank is named after the show, Shark Tank, where investors chew out the flaws in the plans of upstart businesses on national television, because why not.
    MOVES: Protect allows you to get a Speed Boost off before you go Mega. Crunch is primary STAB, Waterfall is secondary. Ice Fang is coverage boosted by Strong Jaw
    OTHER STUFF: EVs and nature max out Attack and Speed. Adamant is used over Jolly due to Speed Boost.
    HOW DO?: Shark Tank is designed to get a few Speed Boosts off, then Mega and just hit as hard and fast as possible.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: Only option here is a complete replacement.

[​IMG]
    Shell Shock (Cloyster) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Shiny: Yes
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)

- Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rock Blast

NAME: Shell Shock is named for how her enemies will feel after she gets a Smash up and starts bombing them with ice. And because she is a shell.
    MOVES: Shell Smash is the core of this set, allowing Shell Shock to be faster than most unscarfed pokemon in UU and hit hard. Icicle Spear has a recoil-free effective base power of 125 with Cloyster's ability, STAB, and can annoy Sub users. Rock Blast is the same, except without STAB and only 90 accuracy, but it allows Cloyster to hit most Ice resists neutrally (except Steel). Hydro Pump still gets the +2 from Shell Smash and STAB, and can hit Steels neutrally.
    OTHER STUFF: Again, maximizes Attack and Speed, with Speed being prioritized. SpAtk gets the last point and a neutral nature because Hydro Pump
    HOW DO?: Shell Shock sets up Shell Smash, and sweeps. Late game sweeper. Unlike most, Cloyster can set up on an already set up sweeper and kill them. Just watch the Speed stat tho. You hit 522 after your Shell Smash.
    SETUP: Shell Shock can ONLY sweep under the following circumstances, so try and avoid other usage:
    1. No Priority - If the enemy has any priority users alive, do not set up Cloyster
    2. No Walls - Is the enemy has a physical wall that resists Ice (Mega Aggron), do not set up Cloyster
    3. No Status - If the opposing player has a status user ACTIVE, do not set up Cloyster. Para and Burn are the worst, Poison is manageable.
    4. No Hazards - This one has exceptions, but your primary method of getting your Shell Smash up is to come in at full and tank the next turn with your Focus Sash, which you cant do if you have taken damage from Hazards.
    5. No Live Switches - Don't switch Cloyster in except to revenge a kill.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: None

[​IMG]
    Astraphobia (Galvantula) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Volt Switch
    - Energy Ball
    - Sticky Web
    - Bug Buzz

NAME: While the obvious choice would have been the ever-so-common fear of spiders, Arachnophobia, I went for the less known but equally appropriate fear of lightning, Astraphobia
    MOVES: Volt Switch Provides a ton of useful switches. Sticky Web applies a slow to the enemy team to help you move first. Bug Buzz is the team's only way of dealing with Dark types, and Energy Ball is for those pesky Swamperts.
    OTHER STUFF: Standard Special Attacking spread, Focus Sash guarantees you get up a Sticky Web
    HOW DO?: Galv is my default lead, and Sticky Web is my default first attack. Besides that, Astraphobia is the closest thing on this team to a revengekiller except Sharpedo, but should end up as your first sacrifice in most situations. Pretty much always put Galvantula in after something dies unless you think you can set up Shell Shock.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: Giga Drain > Energy Ball, Complete Replacement has been proposed, but I would need something to replace it with.

[​IMG]
    Draaaaaaagon (Salamence) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spd

- Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Dragon Claw

NAME: Its not Dragon, its Draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagon
    MOVES: Roost is for recovery. Besides that, pretty standard DD sweep.
    OTHER STUFF: Attack is for the damages, Defense allows it to switch in on Sacred Fire, Flare Blitz, or V-Create and Roost off the forced switch. Rocky Helmet further punishes Physical attackers.
    HOW DO?: Ask yourself every turn, "Am I going to get hit with a physical attack that Salamence resists?" If the answer is yes, send in Salamence.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: Moving some of the Attack points into Speed, Outrage > D-Claw

[​IMG]
    S P I N B R O (Donphan) (M) @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef

- Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin
    - Knock Off

NAME: He uses Rapid Spin.
    MOVES: He uses Rapid Spin.
    OTHER STUFF: AV and SpDef EVs allow it to take Special hits waaay better than most would expect, Attack is for teh damages.
    HOW DO?: S P I N B R O is your only Rapid Spinner and only Priority, and should be kept alive at ALL TIMES. However, Donphan is also a big damage output. Ice Shard 2HKOes Salamence at -1 and EQ is EQ. Knock Off really annoys those Energy Ball Chandelures, giving a clean OHKO there. Remember that despite the fact that you are a freaking war elephant with tons of armor on your back, your SpDef is HIGHER then your Def.
    CHANGE OPTIONS: Throw some Attack into Defense. Or screw this entire set and go standard SR.

THREATS:
    Hazards - They wreck this team. KEEP DONPHAN ALIVE
    more coming soon

And that's it. Please god help me with some constructive criticism. If I missed any things that should be COLORED, tell me, mmk? Ok, byeeeeee!

CREDITS:
    http://www.pkparaiso.com for the GIFs
    http://sprites.pokecheck.org for the teambuilding icons
    [OG] Deathstroke for helping me teambuild

Chef Rotom (Rotom-H) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Overheat
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunder Wave

Shark Tank (Sharpedo) (F) @ Sharpedonite
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Ice Fang
    - Crunch
    - Waterfall
    - Protect

Shell Shock (Cloyster) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Shiny: Yes
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Shell Smash
    - Icicle Spear
    - Hydro Pump
    - Rock Blast

Astraphobia (Galvantula) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Energy Ball
    - Sticky Web
    - Bug Buzz

Draaaaaaagon (Salamence) (F) @ Rocky Helmet
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance
    - Roost
    - Dragon Claw

S P I N B R O (Donphan) (M) @ Assault Vest
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Rapid Spin
    - Knock Off

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this nothing into gengar

hey cool team, there's a few suggestions i would like to make that i feel would improve this :

- ur rotom is one of ur few go-to bulky pokemons, and if rocks are up or if it switches in anything it will be worn down very very fast. so i suggest pain split > twave for semi-reliable recovery instead of none. It will definitely let it survive a lot more (if u really want twave i suggest to remove wisp, but wisp is just better)

- this is a minor one, but naive > hasty cloyster cuz it's spdef and hp is garbage anyway and naive can actually survive priority moves after smash because of its huge def stat

-galv : timid > modest because it outspeeds a big chunk of pokes at timid unlike modest.

-salamence: i dont really know what you're trying to do to be completely honest, trying to get bulky mence and dd mence to work at the same time, but ur just really getting the worst out of each set. i recommend u either stick to bulky, go full hp/def and it can be ur defogger, while clearing donphan's slot, or just make it a standard dragon dance one atk/speed with lum or life orb, with 1 MORE coverage move so it can ACTUALLY sweep stuff. Also with ur ev spread, u dont outspeed much at all after +1.. which is counter productive for sala. it's still walled by the same stuff easily.

-donphan : remove assault vest and give it stealth rocks, or go with defog sala and change this pokemon completely and add a rocker. stealth rocks are huge and your team lacks it. without it u put 0 pressure on the opponent's team, they can freely switch around to ur pokemons counters without worrying at all, for example abomasnow can come in as much as it wants on donphan and fire off a blizzard, which nothing u got wants to take, including rotom (since it lacks recovery), or salamences can eventually sweep ur team since they are at full easily when they switch in (what im trying to say is u need rocks or this wont work)

- i dont see the point of sticky web in this team. u have a speed boost pokemon that goes beyond the whole tier at +1, u have a shell smash pokemon that does too at +2, a speed ev'd sala at +1 also outspeeds pretty much everything, donphan and rotom-h dont care at all about web support, and galv wont care about web support since it's gonna be setting them, so the pokemon it faces wouldnt be affected by webs yet.
    there are so many better options for voltturn than galvantula.

- finally, sharpedo and salamence are the kind of pokemons that can do massive damage on many pokemons, and they are hard to stop when they get going, so they really really need hazard support, at least stealth rocks, so it guarantees them many ohkoes, while no rocks means that many of their checks and counters can easily and continuously beat them.

Edna likes this.
  3. NananaBatman

NananaBatman Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Gengar said, except I'd add that rotom-h is a rather poor special wall in this meta. Sure it has a nice set of resistances, but even stuff like raikou (of which you resist common moves) can just sub and set up cm against you. Electric types volt on you and they're the only ones you really resist. The only special attacker you wall are pretty much shaymin and mega pidgeot.

The set you have on mence is your only entei switch in, meaning it is likely to get burned and will be made useless pretty fast. If you want a cool mence set that isn't complete ass and can still wall some stuff, try using mixed attacker w/roost so you can actually break stuff for your 2 sweepers to sweep. Something along those lines should work.
    Salamence (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    - Iron Tail/Outrage
    - Roost

Don't use galv on this team it's completely useless. People need to get off the sticky web hype... Not to forget that it is a rather poor revenge killer.

I strongly reccomand you get some hazards in there so sharpedo can put some work in. Give donphan rocks and stop trying to make it a special wall : no1 is going to stay in with their chandy if they see the poor dmg output so the only way you can win is if they bring chandy on your spin, which is incredibly risky and not likely to happen at all.

4. inigomontoya

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    Thanks for the input guys!

Ill try Batman's Mence set, and give Donny SR. Rotom is getting Pain Split too. Anyone have any ideas for Galv replacements?

5. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Haven't played any uu but Raikou makes for a fast VSwitcher if that's what you're looking for.

6. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    A spread of 168 Atk/ 88 SpA/ 252 Speed on Cloyster helps.
    BTW you can try surf over hydrop pump but thats just me nit pickin'

7. NananaBatman

NananaBatman Well-Known Member

Rotom-H+Raikou sounds like an extremely redundant (and bad) voltturn core; both are walled by pretty much the same things so you won't be able to maintain momentum at all. Don't use raikou.

Care to explain what that accomplishes? Hydro pump is meant to KO steels such as mega aggron and doublade. +2 cloy deals significant damage to both with pump without any investment so I'm not sure why you'd invest in cloy's special attack. Don't suggest sets if you're not going to tell the OP what they do and why they're better.

Seeing as the team lacks both a fightning type (really useful for lax) and a specially bulky mon, you could use AV machamp instead of galv.
    Maybe something like this:

Machamp (F) @ Assault Vest
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
    - Dynamic Punch
    - Bullet Punch/Heavy Slam
    - Ice Punch/Stone Edge
    - Knock Off

8. inigomontoya

PO Trainer Name:
    Yveltal / ddrox13
    +2 4 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Mega Aggron: 217-256 (63 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    +2 88 SpA Cloyster Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Mega Aggron: 238-282 (69.1 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO No difference with investment on it's main counter, as Batman said.

You do have a point on Surf though, as it still scores the 2hko on Aggron without the accuracy. I think ill keep my H-Pump for now tho.

Ill take it. If it works I might transition Rotom's spread a little more in favor of SpAtk to make up for Galv's absence.

Moderators: Edna, fsk