1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Fat People (Discussion)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Joeypals!!, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    This is probably going to be one of my bigger posts that isn't a tournament on here, simply because of how massive of subject matter this all entails. In light of that, please bear with me and if you don't like lengthy posts, I do apologize.

About a week ago, a then-unknown YouTube quote-on-quote "comedienne" named Nicole Arbour uploaded a video on her relatively small channel (about 20k subs or so) entitled "Dear Fat People". In the six minute video, Arbour talks about what she views as the problems of fat people. For example, she believes that "fat shaming" is something made up by the "fat community" (no I'm not kidding, basically her words) so that they can victimize themselves, in a nutshell. She talks about how they are a problem for "minorities like her" (donate to the "Save a Dumb Blonde White Bitch" charity today! They're endangered and need your help!) for reasons such as talking up parking spaces for shop-o-holics (which Arbour claims is an actual goddamn disease) and preventing her from getting Starbucks before she could get on her plane. I wish I was making this up, but hey, like I said in the parentheses we are dealing with a dumb blonde white bitch today who happens to fit all the stereotypes.

I actually could not sleep just because of this video, simply because my mind could not get off of it for that long. There are so many problems I have with it that I cannot fully numerate, but I can try my best to name a few. One of the first problems I have is how she brushes off obesity as this thing that everyone can control and therefore they should be able to control it. I shouldn't have to tell you that that's obviously not true, but just in case, I'll run through some medical stuff. The first one that I want to touch on is depression, a medical disease that can generally be described as having a persistent low mood or lack of interest in things. While for most people it's a natural occurrence that does go away with time (such as a family member passing), there are cases of people who, without getting too scientific, just have too many negative pulse passing through the brain and ultimately affects their mood without anything even being wrong. While for most people this leads to weight loss, this condition can also lead to weight gain for some, as they take comfort in eating food instead of, say, the company of other people. There's also some more obvious ones, such as diabetes and hypothyroidism (a condition that leads to a slowed metabolism), but those don't need much of a touch-up. Basically, the point of this paragraph is that there's more to obesity than not resisting the urge to "have a Coke with your fries" (are people normally supposed to not get fries with their meal from McDonalds or something? Or no drink? Confused here).

There's also the fact that, since she's stuck to her word since the video has come out, that she claims to be a comedian and that this is all a joke. A quick run-through of her channel shows that absolutely none of her material is funny, and to be brief offensive or just borderline stupid ("Why You REALLY Got Divorced", "Dear Instagram Models", "Hot Sauce is for Retards", "Blondes Guide To The Superbowl"). It's like a discount clearance Jenna Marbles -- ten times sluttier in exchange for any comedic wit or natural pull that could be had. It's like comparing this huge as fuck $9000, 85" TV to this tiny 16" piece of crap. Needless to say, you'd choose the bigger TV if you had the money (which should not be the focus of the comparison).

Anyway, back to Ms. Arbour. She claims that a majority of her work is satire... you know, satire, like the kind of stuff you see on SNL when it's actually a good week. Satire is defined as such: the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues. Using this definition, what she claims is that these people are basically stupid for letting themselves become fat, and that's the point of her video. Which, if you look at the numerous medical conditions affecting obesity (which has been classified as an actual disease), you obviously would know that stupidity doesn't "make you fat". I'm not one to really go off on people that I do not know, but Ms. Arbour has to be one of the most ignorant, idiotic people I've had the displeasure of pseudo-meeting, almost up there with Donald Trump. She's uneducated and simply a bad influence for anyone dumb enough to actually take her word as truth. If being "fat" was such an easy, preventable condition, don't you think there would be far less obese people, Nicole? And yes Nicole, fat-shaming does exist and is essentially one of the pillars in bullying, next to "being dumb" and "being gay" (if only kids knew how to actually use that fucking word, and I'm talking 8 year olds here and not high school students). She ironically ends her video by saying she loves everyone, but let's be honest. She made one of the most pathetic attempts to cover her ass, and did so without any shame. I feel like towards the end she felt like she could have possibly gotten backlash, but she could not have cared less as now she's "basking in the publicity" (bask in it honey, you lost a choreography job on a movie for it).

I personally feel that this video is taking about 50 steps backwards in both the fight against bullying and against obesity, and the fact that it has gotten so much negative backlash has almost made me gain some faith in the human race again because we can actually identify who an ignorant bitch is and take him/her down together. Could some see that tactic as bullying? I guess, but if it's individuals all with the same end goal, I really do not see a problem, especially if she's going to be as self-absorbed and, again, idiotic as she is about a rather series subject matter. So basically, screw Arbour, and may everyone continue striving to view themselves as beautiful.

Like the title says, this is a discussion thread (unlike Arbour's video where the comments are disabled), so I want you guys to sound off on the matter. What did you think of the video, and what do you think of the outcome this could all have? Put it below and let's chat it up. Also, here's probably my second-favorite reaction to this video, and my favorite video responding to it. Favorite reaction is a comment on a video on Shane Dawson's second channel (he does a lot there) discussing this that reads "Now, back to this bitch that had a lot to say about fat people... Nicole, what's good?"

Edna likes this.
  2. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Depressed person here, confirming that depression fucks up your eating habits and also makes you a lot less interested in exercise. Not fat tho so that's good.

I feel like there's not a lot to discuss here lol, just an idiot being an idiot. It's funny that there was a reddit controversy along these lines a while back where a relatively popular sub got deleted for this bullshit. Controversies like this definitely impact fat people a lot, particularly if they look to hit the gym or go for a run. I can see how exercise and looking to lose weight would make you feel self-conscious about your own obesity- if you then think ppl are mocking you behind your back it could easily be too much, leading to a fat person sticking to what they're comfortable with and therefore not changing their habits.

I mean have you ever known someone who was inspired to change their life for the better because a group of people started mocking them?

Aurist and Haze Victory like this.
  3. Email

Email reformed xd

PO Trainer Name:
    Email
    This is longer then the essay I typed last night,

sulcata and Edna like this.
  4. NAVIDAD PIRATE

NAVIDAD PIRATE THE PLEASURE OF BEING CUMMED INSIDE

PO Trainer Name:
    MeowMix
  5. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    OP could use a trimming of the fat.

Xdevo likes this.
  6. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    I'd rather watch the shitty try hard video (again) than read that pointless tldr rant. Excellent overreaction to a shitty YouTube video, just as shitty as countless others.

But just for the record, no condition that leads to slowed metabolism causes morbid obesity. Big difference between being chubby (20-30 lbs overweight) and weighting 300 lbs; the latter is only caused by eating an absurd amount of calories per day.

meeps, Edna, Strudels and 1 other person like this.
  7. Fiery Espeon

Fiery Espeon The fire never bothered me anyway ~

PO Trainer Name:
    Fiery Espeon
    Body shaming does exist, it doesn't matter if you have +80 pounds, or -80 pounds. Just telling someone to stop being fat, doesn't work. The person probably already knows about their condition. If you guide them to nutritionists and other experts that will obviously work and help them lose weight, instead of publicly shaming them about it, you are more likely to make a difference. If you encourage them about it not being a diet, (because all you really have to do to lose weight is substitute things with healthier, less calorie foods, or foods that fill you up for a longer time) and getting them to do exercises or sports that they enjoy (dancing, etc), has a bigger impact.
    Weight gain is when you eat more calories a day than your recommended amount. Maintaining weight is when you eat the recommended amount of calories each day. Losing weight is when you eat less calories a day than your recommended amount. (Not starving yourself)

Joeypals!! likes this.
  8. Duster

Duster dodgerswin 2018

BREAKING NEWS: NFL quarterback Russell Wilson claims Recovery Water helped him lose 50 pounds

this is actual quote no lie go buy some recovery water today!!!!

9. Ascarotte

Ascarotte Well-Known Member Forum Moderator Channel Leader Forum Moderator Channel Leader

From what I've seen of that video (I'm assuming most of it was in that response video), I don't think it was all that spectacularly harsh. I still think that weight is still something that most people can control, and that there is legitimate reason to want to do so - which is the essence of what the video is saying, behind the insensitivity. I think this video will come to nothing.

I am somewhat amused that people are slut shaming this Nicole person whilst calling her out for fat shaming.

In all fairness, my apathetic reaction to the video may be because I have never experienced or witnessed bullying as a result of weight issues ever. I know it does happen, and is probably extremely common, but nonetheless I have never seen an actual case of it. If I had to put weight problems alongside all of the other different reasons people get bullied and insulted for, it would probably be among the reasons I feel the least sympathy for.

10. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

So what's the point in all these complaints about "shaming"? It's just a fact of life, people are going to be insensitive idiots toward others who are "different". Most of the people doing the "shaming" probably won't give a shit if people complain via a YouTube video (generalizing by experience here). The people who watch this and aren't already massive pricks can't really convince others to show the same respect. The best way to tackle this in terms of work and school is to make sure appropriate channels for dealing with abuse both exist and are well known, in addition to teaching coping habits early on. Things of this nature already exist such as school counselors and various anonymous tip lines, but they need to be more widespread and advertised. I think the idea of peer counseling seems promising, as adults rarely are able to relate in the same way peers are, but it's not without its own share of potential issues.

I'm failing to see the point of all this. So what if people are complaining? So what if people are complaining about people complaining? What do people actually want done? This is what confuses me the most. Why make these sorts of videos? I don't see the end goal here.

If I had to guess, Ms. Arbour probably created this video in response to the "special snowflakes" on Tumblr who actively set out to make themselves and others "victims" of an "oppressive society". There are plenty of other YouTube videos addressing specific Tumblr posts from which she may have drew inspiration for various "strawmen". One of the biggest problems of these strawmen is that more often than not they end up generalizing fringe individuals to entire groups of people, such as Ms. Arbour's. I feel that these sorts of "rant" videos only end up furthering the misunderstandings between groups of people. I've, admittedly, made a lot of generalizations about these sorts of YouTube rants. Rants of this nature are not the majority and there are definitely quality criticisms out there. There are, as you'll observe by searching around a bit, still quite a few rants which generalize fringe groups to the majority (try searching both supporters and opponents of modern feminism).

Yeah, this seems to happen in most social justice controversies. It's funny up until a point, but sometimes I end up a little frustrated trying to read through their justifications.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  11. meeps

meeps Well-Known Member

PO Trainer Name:
    meeps
    yeah ok

i've lost around 40-45 pounds in the past 5 months, now im closer to being underweight than overweight. i was skinny as a child but i put on weight rather quickly in middle school/high school until i decided to lose weight finally late in my senior year.

the fat shaming excuse or whatever is honestly used for those who are too lazy to lose weight and blame on shit like their genetics or "conditions" or whatever. im pretty sure it's possible for almost everyone to lose weight , it literally is calories in < calories out to lose weight, nothing more. an issue seems to be people give up after a short period of time because they expect to magically lose like 50 pounds in 2 weeks or something absurd like that, when that isn't even possible. losing weight takes time, i got rather frustrated after a few weeks but i still managed steady weight loss for the most part of the last 5 months (i gained a little bit of weight over a period of 3 weeks because i ate a lot during my trip in europe). people with thyroid issues or similar conditions need to simply be more conscious of their diets/exercise. those who for some reason cant lose weight while dieting for a short period of time simply suck at math and serving sizes. the reason why overweight people have overweight children is because the parent virtually has all control of their child's diet and exercise, if the parents overeat a lot, their children probably will too (also overfeeding children should be probably be classified as child abuse)

the united states obviously has a significant obesity issue, which is due to the fact that laziness is essentially encouraged if you will. fast food restaurants encourage many to buy relatively cheap food which is rather calorie dense, rather cooking home-cooked meals which are probably cheaper to make (but laziness). some people overeat simply because they eat too fast, the body actually requires some time to respond to food being eaten, they may still feel hungry when they actually are not, i used to eat larger portions prior to my weight loss (i cant fucking imagine how much people have to eat to be well over 100 pounds overweight), but i can eat a bowl of cereal which is about a third of what i would generally eat in the past, and i still feel satisfied for 4-5 hours. also there is an over reliance of using cars, most americans typically drive everywhere, even if it is a short walk away. i've noticed in europe (italy, france, netherlands is where i visited) that people like to walk much more (or bike in the netherlands) and they are also much healthier than americans. my family who live in a rural area of the netherlands only used their car if they needed to take the highway to drive, otherwise they rode their bikes, they also ate most of their meals at home so yeah.

i want to point out fat acceptance movement / healthy at every size (which are the people who like to bring up fat shaming) shit is absolute bullshit, one is not healthy if they're obese, they are much more susceptible to an early death or health problems even if one doesn't have any noticeable health issues other than being obese

yeah this is kinda jumbled, basically weight is controllable, people are just fucking lazy and impatient

Casparov, ZoroDark and sulcata like this.
  12. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Portion size is also an issue, in the U.S. restaurants have always seemed to one-up each other in serving sizes. More often than not I end up getting 2-3 times what I would normally eat at restaurants. I'm not sure why, but this seems to apply less to foreign countries. I've been to the U.K. and France, and the portion sizes and drinks are much, much smaller (I've also heard beverages have less sweetener). I'm not sure why this is, be it laws or regulations or just differing social norms, but it definitely seems to play some sort of role in lower obesity rates.

There are definitely people who medically have issues controlling their weight, but that they are most/all overweight individuals is just a ridiculous notion. Most people, in the U.S., are overweight due to increasingly sedentary lifestyles combined with poor eating habits, which is clearly a fixable problem. The majority of this falls on personal responsibility, but society can help encourage a more active lifestyle. For example, many buildings have small stairways hidden behind doors, making the elevator a much more convenient and easy to spot mode of transportation; just making the stairs more convenient can make people take the more active alternative. Granted, this is one small example and obviously won't magically eliminate obesity, but the idea of adapting infrastructure to encourage activity combined with personal choices seems to be an interesting prospect.

edit: at first i thought meeps' account got hacked by one of those ad bots explaining how to lose X-Y lbs in just Z weeks!!

Fate Testarossa, meeps and Joeypals!! like this.
  13. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Part of the reason the US has large portion sizes is that food is extremely cheap. We have one of the largest supplies of multiple grains and livestock in the world along with one of the best distribution networks for said food. Whereas a country, like say, the UK has to import a lot of food which drives the prices of food up. We also have a large supply of unhealthy foodstuffs (cows and pigs) and have collapsed our major fish and shellfish fisheries. It's also part of the on-the-go lifestyle that the US has, partly due to the massive commute times (because the US has almost entirely developed after the invention of cars) which makes it very difficult to actually get time to make a meal at home.
    Probably the biggest issue is sedentary lifestyles, but that largely due to how the US developed, urban (especially ones that aren't in the top 15) environments were emptied out throughout the late 20th century, leading to urban decay and suburban sprawl. Suburban areas didn't have the infrastructure or the regulatory bodies to gather the funds to make new infrastructure to allow people to walk or bike to work. For a lot of the US population, you simply cannot walk or bike to work, its either too far or there isn't a walkway there. Taking the stairs isn't going to make enough of a difference, when you have to sit for 35 mins to get to your job and then sit for 8 hours at work. Hopefully the slow rise in urban population (major cities like NYC and DC have saw increases in pop for the first time in like 50 years!) will help with this.

The idea that any realistic health condition can cause obesity by itself is a complete farce and in blatant defiance of both basic biological concepts and the laws of physics. They can make it harder or easier to lose or keep weight, but exercise and/or diet will lead to weight lose given enough time (hint Calories in < Calories out).

Lastly, beauty is not worth. While yes, people treat other people like shit for dumbass reasons, attempting to define obesity as beautiful is both not going to work, and a complete step in the wrong direction. Fat people have worth (all people have worth), but are not beautiful. Its okay not to be beautiful, and people should not place their self-worth into something so vapid. Of course people are going to be shitty, but they are going to be shitty about anything and everything - at least with obesity you actually do have a choice in the matter.

Also if people are suddenly going to start bitching about poor farce or badly executed jokes and satire, we're not going to be moving anywhere as a society.

sulcata, VuvuzelaΒzz and Strudels like this.
  14. Cirno

Cirno Romantic

PO Trainer Name:
    Alice
    I just watched the video.

Seriously, was that it?

Is this what people are making a big deal over?

Did this video really necessitate a big essay like that?

Someone help, I don't get it.

sulcata, ZoroDark and Casparov like this.
  15. SongSing

SongSing KILLL

PO Trainer Name:
    SongSing
    joeypals are you fat

sulcata likes this.
  16. Joeypals!!

Joeypals!! Don't you worry 'bout a thing~

PO Trainer Name:
    Joeypals
    Nope, a relatively healthy 140 pounds

sulcata likes this.
  17. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    The only thing what really bothered me was she bashing The Walking Dead that show is cool.
    I totally agree with meeps tho. I weighed like 100 kg (idk your weird pounds) in highschool, I used to go to school with my bike (yes I live in the Netherlands) but when you become 16 you are old enough to drive a scooter. So I stopped riding my bike, stopped my sports(football) and did what every normal teenager did: drinking alcohol, smoking weed and eat unhealthy shit. I gained so much weight in a short time to the point I weighed like I said before 100 kg. Was this my own fault? Yes! I was lazy af. Then I realized I had to do something about it. So I stopped eating unhealthy (I wasn't even dieting just started eating normal food) sold my scooter and drink lots of water. I Started playing football (soccer) again, 2/3 times a week. I lost 20 kg in idk how long. But it was within a year.
    So yeah most fat people can blame their self's for beeing fat I know cuz I used to be one. I'm not saying all fat people cuz you can still get fat through disease, mental issues or medicine, but yeah most can blame their self.

18. Haze Victory

Haze Victory Dem slumps..~

Totally agree with what @Ortheore said. Exercise and normal diet is a way to go (Note I mention a normal diet. I'll probably always be the freak I am, not wanting to get fat and stuff lol, but a person doesn't really have to go to any large lengths. Tbh one doesn't really need to cut down on their regular sugar intake either in order to maintain a healthy amount of bodyfat), but a person that is self-conscious will be less than motivated to change his or her lifestyle into something healthier and may not necessarily even have the hope to see themselves as beautiful, much less work towards that goal. I say this ebcause I ahd been through a similar phase myself in the past, and for those who don't get it, getting someone self conscious may or may not shame someone into changing their lifestyle. It is more likely to have the person lock themselves in their room, playing Clash of Clans away from the world outside only leading to the shaming, driving them towards being much pathetic than what they started out as.
    Also, society can lick my feet goodbye. Indian society does, and to a great extent, and I cannot really picture the larger part of the society in any part of the world being one that wouldn't pull a person down at every chance they get. Anyway, what I infer from the video is that woman is more or less looking for an audience to bring to light her healthy lifestyle (If not liposuction) out, and in contrast targets fat people to achieve the same.Lol I don't know about other men (I really don't get the mentality of the usual person, so yeah, 'other men'), but I can wave a blind eye these kind of stuff . What gets my attention is a strong woman. One that is stoic and decisive. That's another reason why I am so attached to strong fictional characters like Cynthia from Pokemon, and Mikasa and Annie from attack on titan. I cannot seem to care about a person who is a whiny bitch and complains regardless of being provided with more than what she requires. I can care less about whether a person is fat or not, men or women alike, and I don't see how being fat has to do with anything as long as the fat person is strong, stoic and secure in himself/herself. It's just that the world is cruel/rotten, and will pull you down at every moment you allow it to. In this case using the fatness of people as their grasping tool to achieve the purpose mentioned above.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    Joeypals!! and Fate Testarossa like this.
  19. Unhealthy Dose

Unhealthy Dose New Member

This video made me really mad too. But what made me even madder is that everybody got into an uproar about it but nobody has anything unique or useful to say on the subject. So, as a professional comedian (some TV appearances and thousands of live shows) who is overweight, I decided to do something about it. My video response is comedy, but I also offer a double solution: to help people feel good, so they don't mind the fat-shamers so much, and to help them lose weight! With all original jokes! https://youtu.be/NAiYCKDR6dk