1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[3v3 Singles] 3v3 Singles General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by Edna, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    This thread is for discussing all things in 3v3 Singles. Post sets you have found interesting, bring up potential suspects, and other discussion. Enjoy.

Rules:
    Build a team of 6 Pokémons and pick 3 at team preview.
    Banned Pokémon: Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-N, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom
    Banned Items: Soul Dew, Kangaskhanite, Salamencite
    Banned Abilities: Moody
    Banned Moves: Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold, Swagger
    Clauses: Self-KO Clause, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Wifi Battle

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Fate Testarossa likes this.
  2. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Im thinking right off the bat, here could be some potential suspects in order of priority:
    • [​IMG] Kangaskhanite
    • [​IMG] Mawilite
    • [​IMG] Salamencite
    • [​IMG] Lucarionite
    • [​IMG] Greninja
    • [​IMG] Aegislash
    • [​IMG] Landorus-I (although I honestly can't see this happening...)

Edna likes this.
  3. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    Instead if this can we just quickban mega mence first? It's very broken to the point it can 6-0 all teams,,,

Joeypals!! and Edna like this.
  4. Joyverse

Joyverse Back for a blast!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Trace when you used 6-0 in 3v3 I lol'd IRL.
    BTW you guys forgot about Blazikenite. It's still a force to be reckoned with.

5. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I agree on Mega Salamence and Kanga, they both seem broken to me and they both centralize a lot the metagame.

I don't know about the rest since you guys forget how dominant Talonflame Banded and Sash Breloom are, taking care of all the threats you mentionned, but I guess some are suspect worthy ( Blaziken and Lucario)

Joeypals!! likes this.
  6. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

What about Lucarionite and Gengarite?
    Imo we should use the OU list or dont ban any pokemon. I dont think that Pokemon like Kang are broken. It has enough switch ins (ferrothorn, skarmory, slowbro etc.). Mence doesnt have so many switch ins but i dont think we should ban it.
    If we start banning Mence and Kang, other pokemon will get more and more stronger until they need to get banned, too. So i think we shouldnt ban any pokemon or change to Tier complete and use the normal OU tier list.

7. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

I think recognizing the format as different from OU in which playstyles are drastically changed or nonexistent due to the rules is probably a good idea. Pokemon aren't inherently broken, it's a function of the metagame.

If I recall correctly we used OU's initial ban list to at least get rid of some of the obvious things like Rayquaza, Arceus, etc. No initial bans just wastes time as we end up banning things one by one to balance the metagame. Unless you're suggesting no bans at all ever, which would invalidate the whole point of making 3v3 separate from Random Battle.

Broken checks broken has never been a precedent for keeping something in contemporary tiering. If it's too powerful, i.e. broken, and results in games not being fun or fair, then it gets banned to improve the game.

On another note, I'm glad to see the enthusiasm with tiering 3v3 Singles :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Ya actually been playing the tier, and it reminds me a lot on Battle Spot Singles on the 3ds. I've tried Mega Kan, Mega Mence, Greninja and Aegislash and they are all pretty manageable in a tier where there aren't really any "team styles", and Offensive pressure is really the only way of winning. Not like in 6v6, where matches last longer, and mons can sweep teams with team support.

9. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Just to clarify, I'm not saying teamstyles don't exist, but the format makes it much harder for stall to function with only 3 mons available to function together. There are definitely still things like hyper offense, bulky offense, balanced, etc. That's not to say defensive checks aren't good either as I've seen Mandibuzz work very well, but pure stall probably isn't super viable.

10. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    What do you guys think of a Menga Salamence quick ban? Does it need a suspect or you rather just ban it already

11. La.Melle2402

Make it a suspect, dont quick ban it. Its not that broken like in ou where the quick ban was necessary

12. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Ok, although you provided no arguments to why it's not "that" broken. When Mega Kanga suspect will end we'll continue with Mence

13. La.Melle2402

Sry i was pretty busy lol but wanted to say something about it. Well i tried mence once or twice in this tier but then i replaced it with some other pokemon. Its really strong and ofc deserves a suspect. But we are using mence now for idk 5 month or how long 3v3 singles exists. Its pretty late for a quick ban. So suspect it and we ban it there.
    And how to fuck Mence: Just use scarfed Gardevoir and start with it, gg Mence