1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[1v1] ORAS 1v1 General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 6 Side Metagames' started by Edna, Nov 7, 2015.

1. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Rules:
    First slot in your party will be selected
    Banned Pokémon: Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-S, Dialga, Giratina, Giratina-O, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Kyurem-W, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Shaymin-S, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zekrom, Hoopa-B
    Banned Items: Soul Dew, Kangaskhanite,
    Banned Abilities: Moody
    Banned Moves: Double Team, Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize, Sheer Cold, Swagger, Perish Song
    Clauses: Self-KO Clause

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Funbot28

Funbot28 Active Member

Just saying right now that Focus Sash should be banned, as the meta will revolve around powerful and fast mons being able to take 2 hits, and most likely win the game.

3. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Tournament Host Forum Moderator Tournament Host

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    I don't support a Focus sash ban personally because of priority hits ( fake out, espeed) and multi hits attacks ( Bullet seed, Dual Chop etc) and it hasn't caused any trouble as far I know.

In the other hand I'ld like to bring Perish Song as a suspect. I've tried a lapras relaxed nature with 0 ivs in speed, 252 hp 180 or so in defense and rest in spe def with Protect/Perish/Endure/Dive and a Custap berry. It can live a HJK from mega lopunny and it has Shell Armor, so it can't be critted.
    Depending the opponent you can use something like:
    Turn 1: PS ( 3 turns remaining)
    Turn 2: Endure ( 2 turns remaining)
    If you are very low custap activates so
    Turn 3: you have priority dive ( 1 turn remaining)
    Turn 4:you're slower so you can't be KO'ed

Of course, for this to work you have to be slower than the opponent, so yeah, it was the first thing that came to my mind for suspect in 1v1 :)

4. Jethalal

Jethalal (~o.o)~ So Spooky ~(o.o~)

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    Suspect Whimsicott imo.
    Prankster+leech seed+Sub+Protect is combination which is annoying (maybe only i find it annoying) but it takes on the whole tier unless u are specially prepared for it

5. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Whimsicott is a tricky pokemon, it is true that it kinda centralize but it has some counters: any grass type ( breloom rock tomb, venusaur), Mega mawile with taunt, mega metagross with bullet punch if whims is not heavily invested, mega lopunny with return+quick attack and so, Cloyster, Aggron with taunt etc.

If people find it very broken i wouldn't mind suspecting it

6. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

Whimsicott isn't really that big of a problem. If we were to ban Whimsicott people would probably just switch to Cottonee, who isn't even strictly worse if we consider it's FEAR-esque sash subseed set.

Focus Sash really has a lot of counter play in Fake Out, weather, priority, multihit moves, and even things like scarfrachi. It's kind of hard to say the item is objectively broken. And if you end up facing just an overall bulky Pokemon like Hippowdon or Cresselia, then Focus Sash becomes useless in a lot/almost all situations.

Perish Song could be worth a suspect though. Might try out Murkrow or something...

7. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    I'd honestly start with Perish Song first, it just needs you to be slower than everything and just wins if you don't fuck up

8. iRaimon

iRaimon New Member

I'm one of the better 1v1 users on pokemon showdown, not that counts for anything here, but I'm just saying, focus sash should be banned. having experienced a meta without it, and now with it, on the respective servers, I can see its a more fun less centralized meta without it. This is because 1) more offensive mons which are frail can just have a sash slapped on and they become much more formidable opponents with fewer counters, and 2) it detracts from offense in the meta, because what is the point of having hard hitting mons which cant OHKO the mon and then die to a follow up move.

also in the recent suspect test on perish song, on pokemon showdown, it was banned by a massive majority from the reqs achieving users, so if it isn't banned here it should be. its uncompetitive and takes little to no skill to use.

also have you guys thought of 3v3 team preview where each person brings 1 mon, as on pokemon showdown. this has led to an increase in playerbase for 1v1 and the playerbase isn't exactly big for pokemon online rn ;(

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Funbot28 likes this.
  9. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Perish Song is already banned.

I dislike suspecting Focus Sash because it makes some pokemon viable and you can beat them with multi hit moves ( anw read sulcata's post)

I'm not Smogon fan and I don't see how in ORAS 1V1 you have to pick between 3 mons, it removes the entire purpose of being a luck based tier ( in a sense you pray not facing venusaur if you have whimsicott, not facing lopunny if you have Mega eye etc) I personally wouldn't change it but if everyone wish that and if the other tier leaders are ok with it i'll be inclined to accept

10. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    Since this is almost entirely a fun tier I'd like to suggest that every month the most used pokemon is banned. There is no competitive reasoning behind this other than it would be fun!

11. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    What..

Casparov likes this.
  12. willdbeast

willdbeast All round nice guy

PO Trainer Name:
    willdbeast
    If you ban the most used Pokemon then it gives mor chance to the lesser use mons. Obviously this is purely for entertainment and is nothing to do with having a balanced tier or anything. I was thinking it would make a new meta every month so there's more variety in team building. Never said it was necessarily a GOOD idea.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  13. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    As far as I'm concerned there are some to little skills in ORAS 1v1. Some pokemon work better than other and you can find yourself changing your sets to adapt better to the metagame. It is very possible to see Taunt mon ( Mega Aggron for exemple), Multi hit mons, priority mons etc.

Teambuilding in ORAS 1v1 is actually very expendable since you have a lot of possibilities, so I don't see where removing top 1 mon every month ( in a dead ladder ) would be any fun or good

iRaimon likes this.
  14. Sam Holmes

Sam Holmes Sword Of The Morning

PO Trainer Name:
    ! HC ! Agent Sam
    I guess megamence is worth a ban being S class?

15. sulcata

sulcata stéphane curry best waifu Forum Moderator Server Administrator Forum Moderator Server Administrator

16. Jethalal

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    mence isnt even a threat w/ sash mons all over
    edit : also S class wut

17. Sam Holmes

Sam Holmes Sword Of The Morning

PO Trainer Name:
    ! HC ! Agent Sam
    Recently faced a megamence in 1v1 tour & wondered why is it not banned yet?! Not surprised by this at all, Mega Salamence is a monster whose attack, both defenses, and speed are even more beastly than Charizard X. Combine that with Intimidate, Moxie, Aerilate, Dragon Dance, Facade, and Substitute and you have a Mega that can tear through 99.9 percent of the Oras 1v1 metagame even better than Mega Kangaskhan. There are a few mons like weavile that can actually counter it, but I don't want to be forced to run these mediocre Pokemons just so I can delay Mega Salamence ripping me apart, and I think that's the point. It's particularly a terrible threat, thereby restricting team-building. I think that's all I'm trying to say.

18. Edna

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Mega Salamence can't even beat a Cotton, do you expect it being banned? :]

More seriously, when you have sash mons, priorities mons, Mega Aggron with Avalanche/Metal burst and fast mons with more than 100 base speed pre mega mence evo, I don't think Megamence would threaten you. Very similarly Deoxys-N who runs Counter/Magic Coat espeed psycho boost and stuff like that. They're good, yes, but the meta deals well with them regardless

19. Jethalal

PO Trainer Name:
    Jethalal
    mega kanga was def better as it would break sturdy and sashes w/ tons of the coverage moves, mence is taken down by ice coverage move easily no access to taunt no priorty moves which means a lot in 1v1 meta imo