1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Other] What Series should I watch?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Casparov, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Hello,

A few months ago started to watch The Walking Dead, I finished all 5 seasons before season 6 started. But now I have to wait A WHOLE WEEK for each eposiode, that's too long imo (I don't even want to think about mid-season break O.O). I looked for another cool serie and came across Breaking Bad that show is just awesome af! sadly I finished it last week.

So now I'm looking for a new series to watch..
    I thought about Game of thrones but then I have the Walkin Dead scenario again and I have to wait weeks/months for new episodes/seasons.

So who can suggest me a good serie? preferably one thats finished so I can watch it from start till the end whenever I like.

ps. I dont like Anime/Manga

2. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    Futurama?

3. Draciel

Draciel ALLEZ! ALLEZ! ALLEZ!

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    You should DEFINITELY start watching Game of Thrones if you haven't already, you still get 5 seasons to enjoy before season 6 comes out next year (that's 50 episodes). Breaking Bad is probably the best TV show ever made, and Walking Dead is pretty good as well.

Now if you're looking for decent shows that have already ended, you should definitely try out The Wire and Sopranos, both are amazing crime dramas and are highly rated by reviewers. Other than that there's Dexter (another crime drama series) and Fringe (science fiction mostly). Oh and Lost is very good too, although I didn't finish that yet. Then there is How I Met Your Mother and Friends, classic shows which I haven't seen but people seem to like them.

Among the current shows you can start Supernatural, Doctor Who and Big Bang Theory, they have 10+ seasons and have a huge number of episodes. I'm not really a fan of Supernatural though because most of the episodes feel like filler but it's a decent show nonetheless. I'm sure you know about the more recent shows as they're everywhere on the internet but I'd personally recommend watching Sherlock and Gotham (Gotham S2 is ongoing, Sherlock S4 starts January 2016).

Casparov and ZoroDark like this.
  4. Raducan

Raducan Well-Known Member

What are you looking for?

Are you looking for sitcoms, crime dramas, or what?

5. Casparov

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Not really looking for sitcoms I probably saw all of them already on tv lol
    for het rest it could be anything like Crime drama, science fiction, fantasy, war ( I've seen Band of Brothers/The Pacific)
    The Sopranos sound nice tho I Should give that a try!
    and I guess Ill start Game of Thrones as well, everyone I know talks about it.

6. Withoutatrace

Withoutatrace im a filthy weeb

PO Trainer Name:
    Withoutatrace
    Become a weeb.

You'll instantly have millions of episodes of anime to catch up on.

ASH_CHAMPION likes this.
  7. Casparov

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    I watch DBZ lol

8. ZoroDark

ZoroDark i know everything

Watching television series is my 3rd favorite way of procrastinating and I'm really happy someone finally made a thread about it :)

I'm just gonna be sharing some of my favorite television series like Draciel did. He already mentioned How I Met Your Mother and Friends, which happen to be 2 of my favorite shows. They both have short episodes (only 20 mins) and they've never failed to put a smile on my face. New Girl has all of the same qualities, but it's more recent and it has arguably better characters. I've only occasionally watched Brooklyn 99 as well as The Big Bang Theory and while both are definitely very funny, they don't have overarching storylines like HIMYM / Friends / New Girl.

If you're more into drama series, it'll be really tough to find one as good as Breaking Bad, but I've recently really enjoyed Suits and Mr Robot. I think most people have heard about Suits, and its first 2 seasons are really amazing. Unfortunately, none of the other seasons (Season 6 is coming out this winter) have been as good, but they're definitely still enjoyable. Mr Robot's first season ended a couple of months ago and it's far and away the best show I've watched the last year. It's REALLY intense, has amazing characters and dialogues and the plot is just amazing. It's about a hacker who copes with social anxiety but it's much, much more than that and I'd recommend it to everybody. It only has 10 episodes so far and if you're as into it as I was, you'll probably finish it in like 2 days lol.

I'm not a terribly big fan of crime series, since their plots tend to look a like a lot. Person Of Interest isn't like any other crime series, though. The set-up involves an all-knowing AI, which spouts out social security numbers of persons who will find themselves involved in a crime within 48 hours. This is completely opposite to all the "whodunnit" crime series and you find yourself on the edge of your seat, because you never know whether the "person of interest" will be the victim or the perpetrator of the crime. In the later seasons, the series moves away a bit from this set up and focuses on the problems an all-knowing AI can bring with it, which is very relevant in a society where self driving cars will be the norm in less than 30 years. Truly a fantastic show which got renewed for a 6th season of only 13 episodes instead of 22 this year, which means that'll probably be its last season :/ If you don't believe me on my word, Person Of Interest has 5 episodes (mainly from season 5, but the early seasons are really good too) in the top 30 of IMDB's list of Highest Rated TV Episodes, beating out any other show (fuck DBZ).

I've only heard good things about True Detective, which is really high on my next-to-watch list and #10 on IMDB's list of highest rated TV series. Outside of that, shows like Castle / Bones / The Mentalist / Elementary / Covert Affairs (a guilty pleasure of mine) are all decent shows. They may not be as top tier as some of the other ones mentioned in this thread, but they can be enjoyable if you bond with a certain character or enjoy a certain actor.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Casparov, Mylo Xyloto and Draciel like this.
  9. Casparov

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    I used to watch a lot of comedy's myself: How I met your mother (Barney is just one of the most awesome characters ever lol), Friends, Two and a half men (stopped watching when Charlie died RIP) The Big Bang Theory, Married with Children(still funny af) and ofcourse my all-time favorite South Park! basically the most brilliant show ever made

Shows I wachted as a kid where stuff like Buffy the Vampire slayer, Angel and Charmed I kinda liked the unnatural thing lol. Also shows like Hercules and Xena the warrior princess (Greek Mythology heu!)

The more "recent" shows I liked where: Californacation, Scrubs, House and as zorodark mentioned Bones, Castle

A must see for everyone is definitely Band of Brothers a Miniseries of 10 episodes about World War 2 I also liked The Pacific but its not as good as Band Of Brothers.

I might try Mr. Robot heard good things about it.

10. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

I'd definitely watch Futurama if you liked all of those.
    Archer is another really good comedy.
    Obviously Family Guy et al exist and are good enough to waste time watching.

I'd like to add Bojack Horseman in as a really great comedy. It's generally really funny (the first 3 eps are kinda mediocre though) then adds and extreme depth to all of the characters and throws feels at the audience often.

Once Upon a Time is a great drama series with a lot of supernatural elements to it, though a ton less edgy than Buffy. If you're looking for things in the approximate genre as those; Being Human (both US and UK are good, US didn't go to complete shit so I'd watch that one), Supernatural (this one kinda gets stale after awhile tho), American Horror Story, Vampire Dairies and its spin off The Originals, From Dusk Till Dawn (the series), Lost Girl, Twin Peaks, Teen Wolf (kinda went to shit imo), Ghost Whisperer, Medium, and Lost.

Haven't 100% watched some of those, but they're at least commonly rated good, so they can't be awful.

Casparov likes this.
  11. Epikhairz

Epikhairz Delta Stream

PO Trainer Name:
    Epikhairz
    comedy
    i recommend community. really funny with lots of meta humour and satire/parody. drops off after season 3 but first 3 seasons are hilarious and subsequent seasons are all right

superhero
    if youre into superheros n shit i highly recommend flash. super hype and full of campy yet great superhero action and stuff. arrow is good too but drops off after season 2 imo (season 2 is super duper hype tho)

drama
    if you loved breaking bad, make sure you watch better call saul. i dont think i really need to explain much here. you get more saul; whats not to love? the wire is a really grim show about the criminal drug trade in a poor and crime heavy area so if youre interested in that check it out. fargo is also a show that i would recommend here. you get some serious action and some fucked up stuff right off the bat with episode 1 and the whole show is just really engaging from the get go. house of cards is a good one too for some super grand scheme political drama, though it is unrealistic at times. i personally feel that it dropped off after season 2 but its still worth a watch

of course, lots of people have recommended game of thrones. it's definitely worth a watch and i would also highly recommend reading the series (though if you do you'll be stuck in the agonizing wait for the next book just like the rest of us)

Casparov likes this.