1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Video Game Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sunny Girl, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Goodbye, sweet summer days.

PO Trainer Name:
    Cassandra
    Welcome, one and all, to the Video Game Recommendation Thread. This thread is where you can recommend games to the masses, and hey, if you see something you like, go play it.

I want to have a format, so here it is.

----------------------------------------------------------->

Make sure you put the title and systems the game is on. Beneath the title and system, give a brief summary of the game [NO SPOILERS] along with why you're recommending it.

----------------------------------------------------------->

2. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    Tales of Graces f ~ Playstation 3
    A real-time RPG game were a young boy named Asbel, with his younger brother, Hubert, meets a mysterious girl in a field of flowers. Later, do they find that she's unable to remember anything, not even her name. Unaware what future is in store for them. He becomes her foster guardian, meets new friends, formes a friendship pact with a prince and her. Fatefully, she was claimed dead and he swore to become a knight to not lose anyone again by leaving his home town. Years to come, a war occurs in his town. Unknown events begin to unfold were the prince is no longer himself who just wanted peace.

This game has a lot of humourus scenes, lots of abilities and weapon combinations. Even a future ark after the main story can be played as well as new game+ with reward limitations on what can be passed depending on how well you played.

Banjo Kazooie ~ Nintendo 64
    An action and adventure game. On a fine day, Tootie awaits her lazy brother to get out of bed so they can go on their planned trip to the beach. Not knowing, a witch by the name Gruntilda asks her cauldron who is the prettiest of all. Shocked with jealousy, she leaves her mountain lair and sweeps out of the sky and kidnaps her. Her brother, Banjo, soon takes off for a journey to the witch's lair to rescue his sister. Inside are full of puzzles, dangers and worlds.

Still one of my all favourite classics today. May lack story but the adventure of collecting and solving puzzles are fun. I don't know why, the worlds just look interesting.

3. Edna

Edna Chasing the Dragon Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Tales Of Graces F had a really cool story but damn the game mechanics annoyed me. I'ld recommend Tales of Xillia, it's way better in all aspects and also has a sequel, i've played both and I can say Xillia is way better. Another new Tales of is Zestiria, I'm playing it atm and it looks cool, though it has similar game mechanics as Graces which is the only bad point for me atm :)

Satori and Nightfall Alicorn like this.
  4. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Good thread imo!

The Stanley Parable (PC)- This game is art, pure and simple. It's one of those walking games, one that intelligently explores the power of choice in a way no other media can, all while being incredibly hilarious. It's good for a couple hours of gameplay. Strongly recommend if you like humour or like games that make you think about things in great depth

Yo peeps what are some games that you would describe as intellectual? Games that really make you think about different things, along the lines of The Stanley Parable, Deus Ex (Human Revolution), Bioshock etc

5. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Bioshock Infinite (whatever console / PC you want, I've heard nicer things about the console versions tho)
    While I wouldn't describe the entire game as intellectual, many parts of the game are very intelligently written. It uses both using historical context and fantastic realism to make a setting that's very immersive, then overlaying the whole thing with an extremely deep and personal narrative. The Burial at Sea DLC connects this game to the first one, but the 2nd half of it is by far the most compelling piece of videogame that I've played thus far.
    I liked this one much more than 1 because the gameplay was infinitely better (seriously the gunning in bioshock 1 was ass), it didn't have retarded mini-games, and there was a hell of a lot less stupid backtracking (it stops environment building when I go through the same room for the 5th time).

There are tons of obvious ones, Skyrim (PC), The Last of Us, Mass Effect 1-3 (bar the last 5 mins of 3), to suggest but I don't think writing up reviews is needed for most of those.

The Walking Dead (Telltale Games - all ports are effectively the same, PC might be better cuz mouse but idk)
    Both Season 1 and Season 2 of this game were fantastic at what they aimed to do. Making terrifying decisions that were incredibly impactful. The game develops all of the characters pretty well, but has that annoying tendency to kill all of the likable characters. The game kinda breaks down on the second and third playthroughs as the illusion of choice wears thin, but the first run through the game hits incredibly hard and I loved it.
    Wolf Among Us by the same studio is also a fantastic game, a little bit less emotional impact, but a lot more character and uses choice a bit better.

I might add a few more later.

Ortheore likes this.
  6. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Goodbye, sweet summer days.

PO Trainer Name:
    Cassandra
    Persona 4/Persona 4 Golden (PS2/PS Vita)
    I can't think of a single game with a story that has had such a profound effect on me as a person. Persona 4 is easily one of the best JRPGs of all time because of it's powerful and masterfully written story, rich and interesting characters, and complex and engaging game mechanics. This game is getting old now, so I'm sure most people have heard about it, but I want to recommend it here because it's just such an amazing game.

7. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

haha yeah I think the original Bioshock was a lot more interesting to think about than Infinite, plus there's the Andrew Ryan scene, but holy hell Infinite was so much more enjoyable to play through. I agree that the gameplay was much better, but also having a plot that is actually exciting right from the get-go is just sooooooo much more fun than Bioshock.

Another rec is Spec Ops: The Line (PC/PS3/360)- I consider this game a flawed masterpiece. Its story is brilliant, reasonably exciting but also extremely emotionally powerful. It's extraordinarily confronting, forcing you to think about your actions and various concepts as well. Also a game that cannot be replicated by any other form of media without losing its effect. The only downside is that the gameplay is pretty poor, but when balanced against the experience its story delivers, my goodness is it worth it.

8. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    Recommend me a good and free steam game please c;

9. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

10. Nicehat

Nicehat PO client damage calc: preview.tinyurl.com/o8e7hss

Puzzle and Dragons - iOS, Android

Although at first it looks like just another "Bejeweled" or "Candy Crush" game, the gameplay twist of being able to slide the stone across multiple spaces however you want (for a limited period of time) adds a whole new depth and skill element to the puzzle aspect. On top of that, there's a huge number of different monsters you can collect to form a variety of teams, and different ones add different goals to how you solve each board, such as racking up a certain number of combos, matching different colors of orbs, or matching a certain number of orbs together. There's an incredibly huge amount of content, from the number of monsters to collect to the dungeons to clear, and more of it is continuously added as time goes on.

It's a mobile game so the usual caveats apply; there's a stamina system that forces you to wait to regenerate stamina before playing more dungeons (though there is a 0-stamina dungeon that you can do if you just want to play or practice), and while it is free to play there are microtransactions for in-game currency. That said, the game is generous enough with its free IAP currency that with sufficient patience, efficient usage, and barring catastrophically bad luck, there's no need to IAP to progress through at all.

Also it's a really complex game so it might be hard at first to understand it, but there are a lot of resources available online for guidance if you can't proceed like the Puzzle and Dragons subreddit or the online Puzzle and Dragons database.

Gameplay Video:

ZoroDark likes this.
  11. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Gonna throw a few suggestions at you, feel free to ignore them if you want.

Dark Cloud - PS2
    It's a rougelike RPG with town-building elements. Yeah, it sounds weird, but it's really fun. Your goal is to restore all the towns in the world. You do that by travelling into the randomly-generated dungeons. You end up with 6 playable characters in the end, of which 2 are absolutely fucking useless, but unfortunately necessary for the game to progress, but at least they all have unique styles and weapons and appearances.

The best thing about the games are the weapons. You have to beat enemies to get weapon experience, and you use the attachments found as rewards for restoring parts of the town and through battling in the dungeon to upgrade your weapons. You need to eventually make it strong enough to transform that weapon into something stronger, and that is how you get better, for the most part. Your default weapons can't be transformed though, so you'd have to find or buy new weapons to make awesome. The most frustrating part is that you need to be careful not to break your weapons, as once a weapon is broken, it's gone for good (except for your default weapons).

If I'm honest, it's not the best game in the world, but I still enjoy it to this day, and I feel other people will too. If you don't like this game but can at least enjoy the basic concept, then you may want to consider the sequel, which only improves on the general formula of the game.

Dark Cloud 2 (US) / Dark Chronicle (RoW) - PS2
    The sequel that improved so, so much. The basic formula is the same: You travel and have to rebuild areas to save the world, and find the pieces in the randomly-generated dungeons.

Whilst in the first Dark Cloud, each character had their own weapon type, and they could not use any other type, the second slightly deviates from that. You only have 2 characters, but each character has a short-ranged weapon and a long-ranged weapon: One gets wrenches (play it, you'll understand) and pistols / machine guns / laser cannons; the second gets swords and magic attacks (via a bracelet).
    On top of this: one gets his own customisable battle robot with multiple weapon types, armor and movement apparatus, all of which can be upgraded; the second is able to transform into enemy monsters and attack using the enemies' skills. This latter skill allows you to transform into multiple types of monster if you can find the right badge that allows you to do so, and these enemy monsters can also level up and transform into stronger monsters.
    There's a lot of ways to fight!

Asthetically, Dark Chronicle is much better looking compared to the original. It is mostly voice acted as well, unlike the original, and the story and settings are just that much better as well. Even if you didn't like the first Dark Cloud, I would encourage you to try Dark Chronicle until at least midway through Chapter 2, as more and more stuff gets unlocked as you play the game, and it has multiple side quests that you can do for rewards, or even just to pass the time!

Kirby Air Ride - GC
    This is not a standard Kirby game at all. It's 3 different racing modes in one game, where Kirby races on different types of Warp Star against other Kirbies... as well as King Dedede and Meta Knight, if you can unlock them! You can play with up to 4 players, as is the norm for the GameCube. What isn't the norm is that Kirby Air Ride is compatible with the GC LAN Adapter, so each person could have their own screen... if you have 4 copies of the game, 4 GameCubes and 4 TVs lol. 4-player splitscreen is obviously also available. It has a checklist of different objectives to complete for each game mode, which helped to inspire the ones found in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Smash 4. After all, Kirby Air Ride is a Masahiro Sakurai game! Interestingly, it's the last game Sakurai made before resigning from Hal Laboratory!

The controls are simple: You only play with the control stick and the A button. You automatically accelerate (for most Warp Stars), and you use A to break and drift around corners to build boosts, which are released when you release the A button. The A button also sucks in enemies in the standard Kirby fashion, as well as uses the power the enemies can give you. The control stick controls your direction. That's it! It's simple to get a hang of, but it's harder to master.

There are 3 different race modes:
    Air Ride is your standard 3D racing mode. Random Kirby enemies line the track, and there are usually multiple pathways to each racetrack. You can do Time Trials for each track as well if you want to. You can use an entire array of Warp Stars in this mode, but you need to unlock them!
    Top Ride is a top-down 2D racing mode. There are more laps in this mode as the tracks are significantly shorter, and you can pickup powerups by driving over them instead of inhaling enemies. Time Trials exist for these tracks as well. There are only 2 Warp Stars to ride, and it determines which control method you are using: controls can be set to either Free Mode, which turns the Red Warp Star in the direction you are tilting the Control Stick; or Steer Star, which turns the Blue Warp Star to its left or right in accordance to the direction you are tilting the Control Stick.
    City Trial is a little bit different. City Trial mode is what inspired Smash Run for Smash 4 on 3DS. You start off on a Compact Star, and you have 3-7 minutes (default 5) to drive around a city, picking up various stat boosts, attacking enemies to weaken them, and finding a new Warp Star to ride, if you wish. You can dismount your Warp Star by holding A and down on the Control Stick to stock. You get to jump around as Kirby if you really want to, but you can't collect powerups if you are not on a Warp Star. The Dragoon, that OHKO machine you've seen in Brawl and Smash 4, originated in City Trial! It's one of the two Legendary Air Ride machines that you need to collect 3 pieces of in order to ride it in the final match. Speaking of the final battles, they can be anything from races on the courses from Air Ride mode, drag races down a relatively straight course, battles to see who can KO enemies or other Kirbies the most, High Jump, Longest Flight and Target Flight events, or even a battle against King Dedede!

City Trial alone is worth the full price of the game, even if Air Ride and Top Ride didn't exist. If you want a fun, quirky racer that differs from Mario Kart and has a Smash Run-esque mode which is fun whether you're playing vs CPUs or other people, I highly recommend Kirby Air Ride.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - N64 / 3DS
    Okay, so those that have played this know exactly why I'm typing about it, and those that haven't are probably sick of hearing about Zelda games. Ocarina of Time is regarding as the best game ever by a lot of people, but I strongly disagree, as its sequel is far better than it in my opinion. It is built on the same engine as Ocarina of Time was, so it's just as glitchy as OoT, but the same basic movement and controls exist, which is a good start.

Majora's Mask has a better setting overall, I feel, with more secrets to explore across Termina, each themed area providing a different themed dungeon that requires a different combination of masks to complete. The 3-day system will leave people feeling like they are constantly running out of time, and it really sets the mood of panic, and the need to quickly complete your quest before the world ends. The music overall is fantastic, and it really helps to set the scene, no matter what that scene is at the time. You've got 3 different main transformation masks that are required to complete the game, as well as your standard Zelda items of Bombs, Bow (with 4 arrow types), Hookshot and others. You also have an extensive amount of side quests, a few of which are mandatory for completion, but most of which just reward you with masks, upgrades, bottles or Heart Pieces, each of which makes the game that little bit easier. There's even a key reward for collecting every mask in the game, and it is totally a costume Link wears in Smash 4! The 3DS version makes it easier to track these sidequests as well as track which songs you have collected, as well as improving the graphics and stability of the game overall, so I'd recommend that version if you can.

People always ask which Zelda is the best one. I hear Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past all included. I think Majora's Mask is the absolute best 3D Zelda to date, and it should be on everyone's list of games to play.

I might edit a couple more in once I think of them.

E.T. likes this.