1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Online - Battle online against your friends!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gilad, May 19, 2010.

1. Gilad

Gilad ¯\(°_°)/¯

Ammm, hi :)

I have made Youtube Video about Pokemon online - what is it, why it's so good, and why you should join it.

[video=youtube;d-SC5juCO-U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-SC5juCO-U[/video]

I hope you liked it, i suggest to watch full screen + HD, but you can also without it, if you're too lazy for it :)

Amm, I don't care if you will take this video to post in other place, or in the main site or whatever XD

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2010
  2. Elements

Elements BOOMER SOONER

PO Trainer Name:
    Elements
    Calling it the "Next Generation of Shoddy Battle" takes so much away from it.

Edit: Still a great video.

3. Akusu

Akusu Guest

That's what I was thinking.... but I didn't want to criticize something I can't watch atm.

Preferably, don't draw parallels between this simulator and other simulators. Compare it to the real game.

4. Gilad

Gilad ¯\(°_°)/¯

You suggest to change the name of the video to just "Pokemon Online - What is it?"

5. Elements

Elements BOOMER SOONER

PO Trainer Name:
    Elements
    Well name it like "Pokemon Online - (Something Creative)" lol

6. Gilad

Gilad ¯\(°_°)/¯

lol

"Pokemon Online - Battle online against your friends!" is the title now, i can't edit the tilte here, but i changed it in Youtube.

7. Kioku

Kioku Member

Hey, PO mentioned in a video. Pretty nifty showcase of the features you've made.

8. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Nice video :)

9. Darkness

Darkness DN

Could have made it more better but still, nice job!! :D I love that fact that you guys love this simulator so much to make videos out of it.

10. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

I don't like the Smogon diss at the start, which is totally unnecessary. I can understand why they're disliked but we don't need or want drama around here. Calling it the next generation of Shoddy is a total insult to the simulator. Shoddy doesn't even compare.

The only two things Shoddy has over Pokemon Online is mechanics and a bigger userbase, which also happen to be the two things that are developing really quickly around here. Pokemon Online isn't "the next generation", it's more than that.

The only reason Shoddy even got popular in the first place is because there was simply nothing else available, not because it's good. Java is a terrible language for a desktop application and the design reminds me of the bland tan/gray computers of the 80's.

Other than that, it's not a bad start but I hope you make another, improved version.

11. jgiles

jgiles New Member

I believe this is a bit harsh toward the Smogon and Shoddy communities. I agree that we don't need or want drama here, but the rest of the post seems to state the opposite. A lot of people that use PO are Smogon members, especially since Shoddy Battle 2 is not out yet.

While criticism isn't necessarily bad, zeroality's criticism in his/her post is unusually negative. It's fine to have opinions, but to state them in such a way will not help PO's user base grow.

On the video, I think it's great to start and get the word out!

12. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

His. I suppose I could have said something like "Shoddy would be better if it were coded in C++ instead of Java and could benefit from a GUI overhaul."

I was harsh because I was trying to get a point across, not to debase their community. Pokemon Online isn't the "next Shoddy", it's a simulator in its own class. From what I see, the next Shoddy is going to be Shoddy 2 which is being worked on. Unfortunately, it is still in Java and still looks like an 80's computer. :)